hulika

Author Topic: Perfect Intonation  (Read 25462 times)

Offline sigjoys

• Veteran Member
Perfect Intonation
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2006, 03:19:11 PM »
Quote from: nivleklive
hey guys.

Got my guitar Saturday afternoon and had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Al Librero and his awesome custom guitar.

So what do I think of Sir Jun's work? Walang stir mga pare, my guitar feels like new. The action is a bit lower and the strings just glide of the fret wires. Tone is as clear as water and intonation was spot on. I'm all praises for Jun's work, he is a real craftsman showing real pride and dedication to his work.

My advice to those who are a bit apprehensive about the quality of his work is this: just bring your guitar to him. As Al said, if you honestly don't like his work just tell him why and I'm sure he won't ask you to pay :)

congrats sir. welcome to the club. :D
Not unto us, but to YOUR name give all honour.
Ps 115.:1

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
Perfect Intonation
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2006, 04:20:25 PM »
hehehe. i was asking Jun if someone named Kelvin brought a guitar to him. after a short while there he was to pick up his guitar. it's great meeting you, pare. good luck with those upgrades you're planning on.

nivleklive's guitar is a nice flame top Ibanez AR. i don't know how it sounded prior to the setup and pickup replacement, but now it's real thick and loud but retains a very good amount of clarity, even through a small amp. can't complain about the intonation, either. very very nice as a hard rock guitar. i'm not sure if that's what nivleklive was aiming for when he bought those pickups, though.  :lol:
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline sigjoys

• Veteran Member
Perfect Intonation
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2006, 04:40:47 PM »
Quote from: Al_Librero
i'm not sure if that's what nivleklive was aiming for when he bought those pickups, though.  :lol:

curious lang. whats the PU?

Offline nivleklive

Perfect Intonation
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2006, 12:34:52 AM »
for the bridge and for the neck.

SH4JB and the SH2 Jazz model.

I found the SH4JB a bit louder and crispier (a little more mids would've been perfect) than I expected but I'm sure it's perfect coupled with a super overdrive or metal zone. The SH4JB was perfect by itself, nice round and warm, talagang "jazz na jazz". And the way all the notes come together even when playing diminished and augmented chords was just heavenly.
- live a life of little regret -

Offline meashuggahr

• Veteran Member
Perfect Intonation
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2006, 09:21:32 AM »
same pu's pre:)

>prestige rga121 ibanez:(jazz and JB SD pickups) 10's ang string
    * Mahogany body and Maple top with Violin Flat finish.
    * 24 jumbo frets.
    * Rosewood fingerboard.
    * Wizard Prestige neck and Gibraltar Plus Bridge.
 :shock:

Offline sigjoys

• Veteran Member
Perfect Intonation
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2006, 09:24:49 AM »
Quote from: nivleklive
for the bridge and for the neck.

SH4JB and the SH2 Jazz model.

I found the SH4JB a bit louder and crispier (a little more mids would've been perfect) than I expected but I'm sure it's perfect coupled with a super overdrive or metal zone. The SH4JB was perfect by itself, nice round and warm, talagang "jazz na jazz". And the way all the notes come together even when playing diminished and augmented chords was just heavenly.

SD fav pala eh. thats also my bridge PU for my SZ. its really a good pickup. i paired it with '59n for a warmer neck sound, which a good compliment too for the JB4. how does the Jazz sound?

so how does it feel to play yer guitar with nice PUs and good intonation??? rapsah...

Offline oasgomez-is-banned

• Forum Fanatic
Perfect Intonation
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2006, 12:51:23 PM »
I forgot to mention.  Arie teaches you to intonate your guitar for free.  So, if you need to intonate your guitar, just call him up...

Walang magic ruler... ear mo lang ang kailangan

Offline dantuts

• Philmusicus Addictus
Perfect Intonation
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2006, 12:57:01 PM »
nivleklive..

naka nickel cover ba yung PU's mo ??

nag hahanap mo ng SD ng may cover .. badtrip walang makita
I was alive in the forest
I was cut by the cruel axe
In life I was silent In death I sweetly sing

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
Perfect Intonation
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2006, 01:03:52 PM »
nope. wala siyang nickel cover.

should've taken a photo of nivleklive's guitar. may dala akong digicam nun. i really like it. and it's too bad he never got to see Jun's magic ruler. hehehe.

seems like someone just realized how weak his arguments were.

Offline Kulas

Perfect Intonation
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2006, 01:40:28 PM »
sa! debate! sa! sa! debate! lahat kasali! hehe joke lang. peace lang tayo dito guys. ako kay arie palang ako nakakapag-paayos ng gitara, simply because sha pa lang kilala ko, so far wala naman akong complaints sa gawa nya. ok naman din si arie eh, but i'd love to meet mr. jun castro too, para parang doktor, you can ask for a second opinion, hehe. anyway, can someone please send me his contact? thanks!

Offline Taoistguitarist

• Philmusicus Addictus
Perfect Intonation
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2006, 01:43:24 PM »
09198700456 :D  number nya. this was never about whose the better luthier anyway :D I'm sure both are good.

Offline fretburner

• Philmusicus Addictus
Perfect Intonation
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2006, 02:18:20 PM »
Quote from: oasgomez
I forgot to mention.  Arie teaches you to intonate your guitar for free.  So, if you need to intonate your guitar, just call him up...

If you've been to Fender's support websites, they actually tell you to intonate your guitar/bass using an accurate ruler. So if Mang Jun has a special tool (some sort of an intonation ruler), then it's just right that he keeps that to himself as that is his source of competitive advantage.

I have 2 of my guitars - a strat with a Wilkinson and an Epi strat-type with a Kahler Flyer - intonated by him and I'm happy with it. My friend had his RG550 and Epi Flying V done as well, and he too is happy.

Besides, as the other guy pointed out, the laws of physics will always be more accurate than your freakin' ears. :)

Rock on!

P.S. You can always read about how to intonate your guitar. Jemsite and Project guitar have very nice tutorials.
"We all come in from the cold
We come down from the wire
'Nd everybody warms themselves to a different fire..."

Offline glassjaw_jc

• Philmusicus Addictus
Perfect Intonation
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2006, 02:23:08 PM »
Quote from: kulas
sa! debate! sa! sa! debate! lahat kasali! hehe joke lang. peace lang tayo dito guys. ako kay arie palang ako nakakapag-paayos ng gitara, simply because sha pa lang kilala ko, so far wala naman akong complaints sa gawa nya. ok naman din si arie eh, but i'd love to meet mr. jun castro too, para parang doktor, you can ask for a second opinion, hehe. anyway, can someone please send me his contact? thanks!

i personally believe arie is a good luthier. otherwise, he won't have a high profile clientele.
Surf's Up!

Offline glassjaw_jc

• Philmusicus Addictus
Perfect Intonation
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2006, 02:29:10 PM »
Quote from: fretburner

If you've been to Fender's support websites, they actually tell you to intonate your guitar/bass using an accurate ruler. So if Mang Jun has a special tool (some sort of an intonation ruler), then it's just right that he keeps that to himself as that is his source of **** advantage.

I have 2 of my guitars - a strat with a Wilkinson and an Epi strat-type with a Kahler Flyer - intonated by him and I'm happy with it. My friend had his RG550 and Epi Flying V done as well, and he too is happy.

Besides, as the other guy pointed out, the laws of physics will always be more accurate than your freakin' ears. :)

Rock on!

P.S. You can always read about how to intonate your guitar. Jemsite and Project guitar have very nice tutorials.

if i may add, after doing some research sometime ago, i learned that they've been doing this approach since time in memorial. remember that leo does not know how to play guitar. he's even tone deaf. hence the freaking ruler. i assume he carried the tradition upto his G&L days and blindly followed by his believers.

i don't use the ruler (cause i don't have one). but i see the logic behind it. couple that with other intonating techniques, you might end up with a perfectly intonated guitar.
Surf's Up!

Offline sigjoys

• Veteran Member
Perfect Intonation
« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2006, 02:57:30 PM »
+1 on sir glassjaw...

i have respect both luthiers. we're free to choose based on our personal preferences.

i favored jun first because of my location, im just a ride away from jun and second his transparency and accomodating character. it just so happen that i'm comfortable and satisfied with his approach.

peace po tayo.

Offline Taoistguitarist

• Philmusicus Addictus
Perfect Intonation
« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2006, 03:02:07 PM »
yep and since you measure the distance/ spacing of the frets i guess you could apply the same logic for the distance of the saddle from the nut or from the frets right? :D

And i feel its pointless to argue about who's the better luthier. Sa tingin ko nga nagpapasalamat pa sila na hindi sila nagiisa- imagine all of our guitars line up to be serviced only by arie or jun?  haba ng waiting period nun. kawawa naman tayo diba?    :D

Offline sigjoys

• Veteran Member
Perfect Intonation
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2006, 03:07:11 PM »
Quote from: guitaraddict

And i feel its pointless to argue about who's the better luthier. Sa tingin ko nga nagpapasalamat pa sila na hindi sila nagiisa- imagine all of our guitars line up to be serviced only by arie or jun?  haba ng waiting period nun. kawawa naman tayo diba?    :D

agree to that! :D

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
Perfect Intonation
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2006, 04:15:19 PM »
we've said it dozens of times, pero dun talaga dapat tayo kung saan tayo hiyang. there's no good reason to put one over the other like some people do. but i am glad to see here that everyone here who's had one or more of their guitars intonated by Jun Castro are all happy campers.

pagdating sa intonation, kanya kanyang diskarte na lang when you get to play with a keyboardist and he/she starts giving you that glare of annoyance.

Offline Taoistguitarist

• Philmusicus Addictus
Perfect Intonation
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2006, 04:17:47 PM »
we've said it dozens of times, pero dun talaga dapat tayo kung saan tayo hiyang. there's no good reason to put one over the other like some people do. but i am glad to see here that everyone here who's had one or more of their guitars intonated by Jun Castro are all happy campers.

pagdating sa intonation, kanya kanyang diskarte na lang when you get to play with a keyboardist and he/she starts giving you that glare of annoyance.

hehehe  :lol:

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
Perfect Intonation
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2006, 04:34:26 PM »
Quote from: oasgomez

Not really. Auditory hairs are made of soft tissue, as opposed to say, quartz tuners who have definitely a more predictable reponse to frequencies.
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
Perfect Intonation
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2006, 04:37:23 PM »

Ey-men.

Anyhow, I've tried both AH and JC. I'll update you guys on what Arie did to my guitar after a neck reset, refret ad bridge realignment and about a month of waiting.
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

• Forum Fanatic
Perfect Intonation
« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2006, 08:26:26 PM »
Lets not forget all the unhappy guys outside this thread who tried Jun and have gone to Arie for him to fix Jun's work.

My message is that Arie is on a level way above Jun period.  If you want to save money, go ahead and try Jun but do not equate both because in terms of exposure and guitar repair skill Arie is tops.  Check out their websites and check out Arie's clientele -- ask each one.  Let us take a perfect example. Ask Wally Gonzales who he talks to in person about guitar setup.  Ask Wally how often he has guitar serviced by Arie versus Jun.  Ask Wally who does set up of his guitar if he has an emergency or rush gig.

But, I admit. Arie is filled to the brim with so much guitar repair so if you want something done fast you better go to Jun.  But if you ever wonder why Arie is filled up, it because he is busy repairing/reworking kapalpakan ng mga ibang so called luthier sa Pilipinas and that does not just apply to Jun kasi hindi naman lahat ng gawa ni Jun ay panget o sablay kundi there wont be any satisfied people on this thread.  There are others.

Offline glassjaw_jc

• Philmusicus Addictus
Perfect Intonation
« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2006, 08:36:38 PM »
actually, jun has a lot of clients who were unhappy with arie too. so does that make arie suck?

bottom line is they're both good, they just can't satisfy everyone.
Surf's Up!

• Forum Fanatic
Perfect Intonation
« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2006, 08:50:54 PM »
Glassjaw,

Given that you have maintained objectivity, and have tried both.  It sounds like you have.

What is good and bad about Arie?
What is good and bad about Jun?

Guys who have tried both.  Let us settle once and for all. Post your opinion freely.  I wont criticize.

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
Perfect Intonation
« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2006, 09:26:45 PM »
I gotta hand it to you, Alex. You're really good at opening cans of worms. You're even better at circumventing points you can't address properly.

My message is that Arie is on a level way above Jun period. If you want to save money, go ahead and try Jun but do not equate both because in terms of exposure and guitar repair skill Arie is tops.

Ok, will the people who believe this guy raise their hands and say aye? :lol:

Actually, in terms of exposure and skill, none of us can really tell, because both of them are damn better than the rest of us. You think you are so well-versed in the luthiery scene. But let me let you in on a little secret: you're not. None of us here truly are.

But, I admit. Arie is filled to the brim with so much guitar repair so if you want something done fast you better go to Jun.

Actually, you can't go to Jun either when you want something done fast. Anyone who's been to his house in the past months would have seen how stuffed the place is with instruments.

So, what next? Padamihan ba ng gitarang ginagawa ba ang isusunod mong hirit? Oh wait, meron pala. Pasiklaban naman ng clientele. Sheesh. You want me to address this one? Nah... it's an issue I'd rather not touch. Sige, I know. That clientele list in guitarhospital.net is truly impressive. Good for the man that such people trust him or at the very least trusted him at one point.

But if you ever wonder why Arie is filled up, it because he is busy repairing/reworking kapalpakan ng mga ibang so called luthier sa Pilipinas

Ditto on Jun.

there wont be any satisfied people on this thread.

Finally, something we can both agree on. But hey. In this forum, one out of several for Jun is pretty good, don't you think? Hell you never even had a guitar repaired by Jun, so that one shouldn't even count.

actually, jun has a lot of clients who were unhappy with arie too. so does that make arie suck?

Did you read this one, Alex? It makes just about all your new points moot.

Why are you trying so hard to turn this into a pissing contest, anyway?