hulika

Author Topic: POST PROCESSING/PHOTOGRAPHY TUTORIALS  (Read 106883 times)

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: POST PROCESSING TUTORIALS
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2010, 12:53:25 PM »
^ thanks phil, it's compensation for how bad i play guitar :))

here's a quick one.

Editing Facial (or other) Imperfections

here's a rather unflattering photo, with visible facial imperfections.

here's what i did to try to improve the photo.

i did a few things: first, i "removed" the imperfections from her face using the Clone Stamp Tool and clicking away, then i did the background motion blur that gainsucker gave insights on (thanks btw!), then i duplicated the edited layer and applied Gaussian Blur and set the Layer Blend to Overlay, adjusted the levels a bit, and smacked the watermark.

i could've also used the Liquify tool to fix the bulge in her left cheek, but that's a sensitive topic. hehehe
damn it man...you  are good. My wife will reward me if I know how to do that Clone Stamp Tool thingy!!! hahahaa
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2010, 01:03:00 PM »
MOTION BLUR

Open your image in Photoshop.

Press (Ctrl+J) to duplicate the Background image and rename the new layer to "Motion Blur".

Now, we need to select the non main objects in our image so press (D) to set the foreground and background colors to the default, Select the Brush Tool (B), click "Edit in quick mask mode" (Q) then set the foreground color to black and paint all the non main object areas. You will notice that the painted areas are painted in red, you can click the "]" and "[" keys to modify the brush size as needed, I like to have a big brush for the outer areas and smaller brush size when I come close to the objects. Notice that you can click "Reverse Foreground and Background colors" (X) any time if you do any thing wrong to erase the wrong masking and (X) again to continue.

Press (Q) again to exit the "Edit mask mode", Press (Ctrl+C) and (Ctrl+V) to make a new layer of the selection then rename the new layer to "Main".

Select the "Main" layer, select the "Magic Wand Tool" (W), right click the eye next to the "Main" layer in the Layers window and click "Show/hide all other layers" to show only the "Main" layer.

Now, select all the empty area of the "Main" layer, make the "Motion Blur" Layer visible again and select it, press (Ctrl+C) ,(Ctrl+V) and rename the new layer to "BG".

Select the "BG" layer and click Filters > Blur > Motion Blur, set Angel = 0 and Distance = 33 Pixels.

You can get another effect by selecting the "BG" layer and clicking Filter > Blur > Radial Blur instead of "Motion Blur".

source: http://www.tutorialsroom.com/tutorials/graphics/motion_blur.html

my share:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/reverse_projection/4255586321/
I start to get lost when I get to press D...when I press D nothing happens....even B and Q...nothing happens. Can you tell me where it is on the drop down menus instead of short cuts? thanks.

Offline gainsucker

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2010, 01:38:53 PM »
I start to get lost when I get to press D...when I press D nothing happens....even B and Q...nothing happens. Can you tell me where it is on the drop down menus instead of short cuts? thanks.

i'm at work now and don't have photoshop here... but here is what i do based from what i remember...

Open the image, duplicate a layer, select an area you wish to blur, then go to layer effects, select motion blur and set the parameters... merge and save... i'll check it again once i get home...  :-)

@badongrodrigs: great job bro and thanks for sharing...

can someone enlarge breasts for us using the LIQUIFY tool...  :lol:
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 01:42:06 PM by gainsucker »

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2010, 11:56:45 PM »
i'm at work now and don't have photoshop here... but here is what i do based from what i remember...

Open the image, duplicate a layer, select an area you wish to blur, then go to layer effects, select motion blur and set the parameters... merge and save... i'll check it again once i get home...  :-)

thanks man.  :-)

Offline gainsucker

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2010, 01:41:44 AM »
i use photoshop elements...

1. Open the image.
2. Click Layer tab, then duplicate layer, press ok.
3. Select an area on the photo you wish to blur.
4. Select Filter, Blur, Motion blur...set the angle and pixels, distance.
5. Click Ok.
6. Click Layer tab, select Merge visible.
7. Save the image. or make adjustments (sharpness, brightness, etc)

Good day, and have fun.  :-D

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2010, 03:59:03 AM »
well, the simplest way is to tweak the layer itself. let's assume Layer 1 is a photo you'd like to frame.

double click on Layer 1 (which will bring up the Layer Style pop up), then adjust the Stroke tab (there's a list on the left side). adjust the size and color only, for the mean time.

in the photo below, i also tweaked the Drop Shadow style (from the list) to mimic how Macs presented their photographs :-D

as for the watermark, it will depend how you want it to look like. for the photo below, i chose it to be conspicuous, but within the context of the photo itself. :-D

hey badongrodrig !! I finally frame one of my pics ... thank you man.

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2010, 02:00:49 PM »
i use photoshop elements...

1. Open the image.
2. Click Layer tab, then duplicate layer, press ok.
3. Select an area on the photo you wish to blur.
4. Select Filter, Blur, Motion blur...set the angle and pixels, distance.
5. Click Ok.
6. Click Layer tab, select Merge visible.
7. Save the image. or make adjustments (sharpness, brightness, etc)

Good day, and have fun.  :-D

how do I select the area? I use photoshop cs4?

Offline badongrodrigs

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2010, 02:29:28 PM »
^^
you can select "areas" using the Magic Wand (shortcut W) Tool, the Marquee Tool (M), or the Lasso Tool (L).

hey badongrodrig !! I finally frame one of my pics ... thank you man.

cool! :)

here's another way of framing relatively square shots in a "polaroid-ish" way.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a41/badongrodrigs/FORPHILcopy.jpg

1. Layer 2 is the photo to be framed
2. Create another layer (Shift+Ctrl+N, name it Layer 3, then hit OK)
3. Use the Marquee Tool (M) to create a rectangle that is larger than the photo, using desired proportions.
4. Then press Shift+Backspace; this brings up the Fill Window, select White, and press OK. This "fills" the inside of the selected area with the color White.
5. Make sure that Layer 2 is above Layer 3. If not, just drag Layer 2 above Layer 3.

6. Then to achieve that "polaroid-ish" feel in the photo, press Ctrl+U. This brings up the Hue/Saturation Window. Increase the Lightness, decrease the Saturation, and best leave Hue alone, for now. :)

or if you're being lazy, there's an online software that converts your photos in the polaroid format. wahaha!

Offline raginghormones

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2010, 08:59:44 AM »
More tutorials pa mga sir hehe im new in photography (just started october last year lang) and im enjoying every bit of it! baka lalo akong maaddict pag nagawa ko yung mga tutorials nyo here :) thanks so much mga sir! keep up the good work! 8-)
"Amateurs worry about equipment,
professionals worry about money,
masters worry about light...  I just take pictures..."-Vernon Trent

Offline gainsucker

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2010, 02:13:04 AM »
Always shoot in manual mode... Use auto only if the situation needs you to take shots ASAP...

Aperture priority - if you want full control of the aperture (cam will do the rest)

Shutter priority - control of shutter (cam will do the rest)

Manual - you set aperture, shutter, and ISO

try this:

shoot in the dark, light a candle and take a photo...

if you shoot in auto mode, the cam will think that it needs more time or needs a bigger aperture to let more light in, since we are shooting in a dark room....

after taking the shot, you will notice that it's over exposed... try aperture priority, or even shutter priority, it'll still be overexposed...

so how do you get the correct exposure? shoot in manual mode...

here is the photo after shooting in manual mode...

take note:
IN AUTO MODE/semi-auto mode: shooting something white will under expose the image... shooting something black will over expose it...

solution: full manual mode or use exposure compensation dials  :-D

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2010, 02:21:51 AM »

try this:

shoot in the dark, light a candle and take a photo...

if you shoot in auto mode, the cam will think that it needs more time or needs a bigger aperture to let more light in, since we are shooting in a dark room....

after taking the shot, you will notice that it's over exposed... try aperture priority, or even shutter priority, it'll still be overexposed...

so how do you get the correct exposure? shoot in manual mode...

here is the photo after shooting in manual mode...

take note:
IN AUTO MODE/semi-auto mode: shooting something white will under expose the image... shooting something black will over expose it...

solution: full manual mode or use exposure compensation dials  :-D

spot metering also comes to play here right?

Offline rennell

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2010, 09:25:56 AM »
spot metering also comes to play here right?
yes! I always use Aperture-priority mode. I only use manual pag night shots  :-)

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2010, 09:37:11 AM »
yes! I always use Aperture-priority mode. I only use manual pag night shots  :-)
  Most of the time I use Av mode too and if the subject involves high speed motion I go Tv. When I'm in a hurry to do a cool group shot I use A-DEP (Automatic Depth of Field) mode..... manual mode? only when I have time to set up a tripod.....but I'm slowly learning though.

Offline rennell

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2010, 10:07:04 AM »
  Most of the time I use Av mode too and if the subject involves high speed motion I go Tv. When I'm in a hurry to do a cool group shot I use A-DEP (Automatic Depth of Field) mode..... manual mode? only when I have time to set up a tripod.....but I'm slowly learning though.
When I got my camera, 2 mode lang ginagamit ko. Lol! It's either AV or M. Di ko pa natatry mag Shutter-priority or Program mode  :lol:

Offline gainsucker

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: POST PROCESSING/PHOTOGRAPHY TUTORIALS
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2010, 01:09:37 PM »
i use aperture priority most of the time... i like street photography  :-D

pag night shots, always manual... sports.... shutter priority...

Online rockophoria

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2010, 02:05:37 PM »
Madalas pag bored ako eh ito ginagawa ko.. hope merong may alam sa inyo ng mas madaling paraan ng pag-gawa nito since mahirap ata itong paraan ko eh hehehe..

ive been using photoshop all my life (hobby and in my work as a user interface designer).. pero hanggang ngayon marami pa akong kailangang matutunan dito..

-- Vector Art --

rather than the "Pen" tool ang ginagamit ko to create the outlines is "Polygonal Lasso" tool

- Create a layer and start outlining.. depende sa inyo kung anong uunahin nyo.. ako inuna ko yung pinaka dark at less detailed na part.. after maoutline pour some paint.

- Create another layer para sa susunod na object (the main face)

- Next na ginawa ko is to outline the facial hairs.. (habang naka off yung visibility nung face layer)

- Then gawa ka ng another layer above dun sa face layer.. pour some paint of your desired color..

- Layer ulit.. this time for the eyes, nose and mouth outlines..

- This will be the result..

- Time to put some details.. (another layer ito)

- Lahat ito kailangan ng layer na depende kung saan mo sya ipapatong.. remember na you can also control the colors if hindi sya gaano nagbblend.. you can just toggle brightness and contrast para di ka na gagawa ng isa pang layer.. here's the nose and the lips outline.

- Then start doing the details like shadows and facial outlines.. will require a lot of work pero the result will be worth it.. maraming layer akong ginamit dito to control every details.. you can also use inner and drop shadows to "soften" the edges.. in this example kasi gumamit ako ng "stroke" sa blending options para mag mukhang drawing.. depende sayo kung trip mo may black outlines sa paligid or wala.. pero pag wala gagamit ka ng "blurr" sa every detail to soften the edges.

then konting finishing touches..

:-D :-D :-D :-D enjoy!!  :-D :-D :-D :-D

baka may nakakaalam sa inyo ng mas madaling paraan ng paggawa nito.. turuan nyo naman ako.. hehehe
imma badass!! <funky guitar rift>

Offline ferdie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2010, 10:32:28 PM »
eto first attempt ko sa photoshop :lol:

eto process kung paano sya gawin... youtube rules!!! :-D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnwVYJamwpk

Offline gainsucker

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2010, 03:46:59 AM »
eto first attempt ko sa photoshop :lol:

eto process kung paano sya gawin... youtube rules!!! :-D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnwVYJamwpk

di ko pa kaya to bro, masyado advanced... year 20,010 photography...  :-D joke

nice processing bro...  :-D

Offline ferdie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2010, 05:49:18 AM »
^naku bro kaw pa!.... wala lang masya lang talaga pag meron nadiscover o natutunan na bago each day :lol:

Offline badongrodrigs

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2010, 04:24:26 PM »
Madalas pag bored ako eh ito ginagawa ko.. hope merong may alam sa inyo ng mas madaling paraan ng pag-gawa nito since mahirap ata itong paraan ko eh hehehe..

ive been using photoshop all my life (hobby and in my work as a user interface designer).. pero hanggang ngayon marami pa akong kailangang matutunan dito..

-- Vector Art --

rather than the "Pen" tool ang ginagamit ko to create the outlines is "Polygonal Lasso" tool

- Create a layer and start outlining.. depende sa inyo kung anong uunahin nyo.. ako inuna ko yung pinaka dark at less detailed na part.. after maoutline pour some paint.

- Create another layer para sa susunod na object (the main face)

- Next na ginawa ko is to outline the facial hairs.. (habang naka off yung visibility nung face layer)

- Then gawa ka ng another layer above dun sa face layer.. pour some paint of your desired color..

- Layer ulit.. this time for the eyes, nose and mouth outlines..

- This will be the result..

- Time to put some details.. (another layer ito)

- Lahat ito kailangan ng layer na depende kung saan mo sya ipapatong.. remember na you can also control the colors if hindi sya gaano nagbblend.. you can just toggle brightness and contrast para di ka na gagawa ng isa pang layer.. here's the nose and the lips outline.

- Then start doing the details like shadows and facial outlines.. will require a lot of work pero the result will be worth it.. maraming layer akong ginamit dito to control every details.. you can also use inner and drop shadows to "soften" the edges.. in this example kasi gumamit ako ng "stroke" sa blending options para mag mukhang drawing.. depende sayo kung trip mo may black outlines sa paligid or wala.. pero pag wala gagamit ka ng "blurr" sa every detail to soften the edges.

then konting finishing touches..

:-D :-D :-D :-D enjoy!!  :-D :-D :-D :-D

baka may nakakaalam sa inyo ng mas madaling paraan ng paggawa nito.. turuan nyo naman ako.. hehehe

COOL! mejo pahirapan lang yung Lasso tool. what i hate most about it is when i accidentally double click, wala na, bumalik nako sa origin :D

for the very few vector art i've done, i didn't use photoshop for the outlining....i used AUTOCAD :-D much much much friendlier interface with lines.

first i import the photo in Autocad, then use POLYLINES (which is like PATHS in photoshop) and trace the details i want. after a few hours of tracing (hehe) i finally have a detailed, contoured surface.

then i plot (print) it as a PDF file (without the original photo), and then import it in Photoshop for coloring and further adjustments.

thanks for the Lasso tool lesson though :-D

Online rockophoria

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2010, 05:24:04 PM »

COOL! mejo pahirapan lang yung Lasso tool. what i hate most about it is when i accidentally double click, wala na, bumalik nako sa origin :D

for the very few vector art i've done, i didn't use photoshop for the outlining....i used AUTOCAD :-D much much much friendlier interface with lines.

first i import the photo in Autocad, then use POLYLINES (which is like PATHS in photoshop) and trace the details i want. after a few hours of tracing (hehe) i finally have a detailed, contoured surface.

then i plot (print) it as a PDF file (without the original photo), and then import it in Photoshop for coloring and further adjustments.

thanks for the Lasso tool lesson though :-D

post mo dito, patingin..  :-D

here's another one I made for myself.. hhehehe papoging facebook profile..  :lol:

:-D :-D

Offline michiko.airashii

• i'm a girl
  • Prime Moderator
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2010, 11:47:09 PM »
^astig namaaaaan!

Wala pa akong nagagawa sa kahit anong tutorial na meron dito..i just backed up all my images from last year..Will start the year right after ng out of town next week. Hanap muna ako magandang subject. Hehe!   

Offline ferdie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2010, 12:18:24 AM »
post mo dito, patingin..  :-D

here's another one I made for myself.. hhehehe papoging facebook profile..  :lol:

:-D :-D

bro galing! sana mkagawa din ako nyan

Online rockophoria

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2010, 01:32:01 AM »
hehe thanks! pahirapan lang gumawa nyan kasi feeling ko dapat "pen" tool talaga ang ginagamit pag vector drawing.. pero nasanay na lang siguro ako sa polygonal lasso..

subukan nyo yung nilagay kong tutorial.. kaya nyo yan! :lol:

here's another one..

8-) 8-) 8-)

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2010, 01:40:46 AM »
super cool ....awesome rockophoria !!! thanks a lot !!