hulika

Author Topic: Warning for traditional grippers who bought Weckl's "Back to Basics" ONLY  (Read 1853 times)

jakobspiral

He (almost) completely changed what he said in his new How To Develop Technique Instructional. I should've gotten that first ($#!+ :x). I stopped playing his "two finger approach" to bouncing the stick weeks ago, just wasn't natural... I'm a guitar player so Dave's new "tony williams approach" (no finger, just bounce) was more natural (for me at least) since it reminds me of strumming.

So WARNING, I wish I received one.

Offline daemonite

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Warning for traditional grippers who bought Weckl's "Back to Basics" ONLY
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 01:22:45 PM »
Maybe he realized not all drummers will develop the two finger technique, and instead make a new approach to the trad grip....
Drummer / Keyboardist
PrimeApes / Chuckoy Vicuņa Combo
https://soundcloud.com/daemon-keys

Offline kowdprik

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 01:38:56 PM »
yeah i also saw that on his evolution dvd. freddie gruber was a major influence i think. same with neil peart, after he took his lesson with the grandpa. =)

Offline Bammbamm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 02:54:36 PM »
Don't worry, bro.There's nothing wrong with either of the two techniques, imo. Kasi hindi iisang technique ang gagamitin mo during actual performance. Normally it's a combination or successions of different techniques; and it also depends on the drums' tuning.
It's difficult to rely on bounce with a low-tuned drumheads --usually 2nd tom and floor toms-- so you have to use other techniques such as finger or wrist technique. (This gives credit to the practicing-on-pillow approach)

With those being said, let me recommend that you get a copy of Jojo Mayer's Secret Weapons For The Modern Drummer. Lahat ng techniques na-tackle dun, saka pinaliwanag nya ang kahalagahan ng bawat techniques. I hope this helps..

Happy drumming!  :-)
So Be It.

Offline ushuaia

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 09:12:41 PM »
tony williams is about making the stroke,no bounce :mrgreen:

jakobspiral

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 03:38:47 PM »
Don't worry, bro.There's nothing wrong with either of the two techniques, imo. Kasi hindi iisang technique ang gagamitin mo during actual performance. Normally it's a combination or successions of different techniques; and it also depends on the drums' tuning.
It's difficult to rely on bounce with a low-tuned drumheads --usually 2nd tom and floor toms-- so you have to use other techniques such as finger or wrist technique. (This gives credit to the practicing-on-pillow approach)

With those being said, let me recommend that you get a copy of Jojo Mayer's Secret Weapons For The Modern Drummer. Lahat ng techniques na-tackle dun, saka pinaliwanag nya ang kahalagahan ng bawat techniques. I hope this helps..

Thanks for recommending a drum video lesson bro! I'm just starting and I'm looking out for helpful videos, (youtube, etc.) Makapagpa-order nga nitong Jojo Mayer video sa mga balikbayan this xmas. Sana may magbenta rin dito ng drum videos. :-)

Yup you're absolutely right, naisip ko ginagamit ko pala both heel up and heel down, and combinations of techniques depending on what's easier at the moment... so di pala "mali" yung middle finger bounce ni dave weckl, even if i don't really do it. There's this guy on youtube (gary lefrancois) who showed thumb/pointer finger alternate bounce para mabilis, and buddy rich's double-stroke squeeze release, galing! Sarap i-practice.

Offline mampupunit

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 04:29:46 PM »
oo yung kay jojo mayer matinik. ang maganda pa dun since dvd siya, pwede mo aralin ng paisa isa. move on ka sa next chapter pag medyo kaya mo na yung inaaral mo. saka ang ganda nung approach niya.
pumikit ka na lang nang hindi mo maramdaman...

Offline kimpoy19

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 10:38:11 PM »
wow. thanks. na-realize ko yun.
 :-D
drumming is my greatest way to praise the Lord!

Offline pyong_2

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 06:51:56 PM »

very well said or explanation sir bamm :) love this jojo meyer drum instructional DVD from Sir.Bong Laki, GodBless
GDBLZ