hulika

Author Topic: protools midi?  (Read 1478 times)

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
protools midi?
« on: August 21, 2007, 02:14:15 PM »
how bad is it?  some forums diss the midi functionality of protools.  with audio, no doubt it's the industry standard - the bundled plugins well worth the price of admission.  wonderin if the midi has improved.  thanks.

:-) :-) :-)
:razz::razz::razz:

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: protools midi?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 02:17:12 PM »
its alright. it ain't no Logic or Cubase, for sure.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 02:39:26 PM »
thanks abyss.

freakin logic!  ang kapal ng manual!  600+ pages for the plugins alone.  but it's an easy read, those apple guys have a sense of humor.  pero, it's the audio naman which forums love to diss.  guess you can't please everyone.

:razz::razz::razz:

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 04:33:51 AM »
yeah...pero as much as people say Logic is easier to use, I adapted better to pro tools than Logic. PT has a simpler layout for me and it is very workflow friendly. The learning curve for Logic was steeper when I started working with it.

Offline abusound

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 01:24:54 PM »
Pro Tools MIDI has come a long way. Used to be a real mess when doing MIDI in Pro Tools. Now, you'll treat MIDI the same way you treat audio. You use the soft synths the same way you use normal plug-ins. Plus, their A.I.R. Plug-ins are really a killer. Probably, you can ask around some studios and also some artist regarding MIDI in Pro Tools. Studios like Sound Design Production and Alkemi Productions in Makati uses it for both audio and MIDI. Keith Martin, Jay-R, KC Montero are just some of the guys who uses Pro Tools for MIDI.

Offline rakrakan

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 03:35:58 PM »
you can use other softsynths with ProTools via Rewire. "instrument plugins" such as Reason and Live. Digi has also been releasing its own slew of softsynths, samplers and virtual intruments.

Offline killswitch

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 03:47:53 PM »
what if i wanna use a VST, meron bang RTAS wrapper that works? 

fxpansions adapter works as a wrapper and theres a demo version that can be downloaded from their sitehttp://www.fxpansion.com

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 04:24:22 AM »
interesting...  i should get into protools asap to make up for my lack of talent.  haha.

just found out, digidesign owns sibelus na pala.  so may notation software na rin.

just remember that a good song and a good recording will show just that - good technique showcasing a good song. No amount of pro tools and studio tomfoolery will be able to fix a song that was recorded and written halfa$$ed. some people  like to think that PT, just because it is the studio standard, will make you sound better. This is not true and a large misconception because, really, it is not just the arrow (PT) but the how well the indian makes use of his skills in shooting the arrow. Sonar, Cubase, Nuendo, PT and whatever else is out there are all tools and you shouldn't loose sight of the fact that they all basically do the same thing: record music. Things, however, get trickier when you start looking at the signal path.

I don't use wrappers a lot with PT except for specific plugs that just don't have RTAS versions available. Otherwise, I try and keep my plugs all RTAS to keep things simple. I figure, the less troubleshooting I do, the more work I get done.