hulika

Author Topic: Advantages and Disadvantages of Using Amplitube  (Read 15066 times)

Offline ves_morales

Advantages and Disadvantages of Using Amplitube
« on: October 19, 2009, 02:30:46 PM »
Anyone here who uses amplitube can pls share their experiences tnx!!!

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
Re: Advantages and Disadvantages of Using Amplitube
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 07:13:38 PM »
It's awesome and very much usable. Ang bad trip ko lang sa kanya...pati ba naman ang "hiss" ng tube amp nilagay pa nya.

Sometimes too much authenticity is not a good thing.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline acidtest

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 08:45:08 AM »
It's awesome and very much usable. Ang bad trip ko lang sa kanya...pati ba naman ang "hiss" ng tube amp nilagay pa nya.

:-D

ot, since theres a hiss, any puggins that can deal with it?
im having the same problems myself and cant seem to find a user friendly noise reduction pluggin...
- Joyo AC tone demo

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=736032  
feature=related  KBP musicfest teaser - 'Nandito lang' - entry number w00511

Offline abusound

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 09:35:04 AM »
:-D

ot, since theres a hiss, any puggins that can deal with it?
im having the same problems myself and cant seem to find a user friendly noise reduction pluggin...

You can use Sonic NoNoise, Waves X-Noise, or Waves X-Hum.

Not being defensive here. Most people from the analog side complained about digital being "too clean". Now that the feel, tone and quality of analog is being emulated almost to the point of being like the real thing, we still complain. Where would be the good middle ground between analog and digital?

Anyone here who uses amplitube can pls share their experiences tnx!!!

I have used amplitube before, but found it's sound to be mediocre. Advantage: Easy to use, Good selection for tones. Disadvantage: Sound is mediocre, Does not really emulate the original sound.

I will stick my guns with Eleven.

Cheers!

« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 09:37:48 AM by abusound »

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 11:24:19 PM »
You can use Sonic NoNoise, Waves X-Noise, or Waves X-Hum.

Not being defensive here. Most people from the analog side complained about digital being "too clean". Now that the feel, tone and quality of analog is being emulated almost to the point of being like the real thing, we still complain. Where would be the good middle ground between analog and digital?

Cheers!

I guess generalizations are not applicable to everyone. I like analog but have to "live with" the noise. I like a certain "hiss" of tube amps when it gives breath to the sound, but not when no notes are played. I guess I got different facets in me, the guitarist who doesn't really care about the hiss, and the recording engineer who wants his sound output to be as pristine as possible. So yeah, maybe nobody can truly be completely happy.

That's why I run the guitar tracks through Waves X-Noise :-D

Eleven is available as RTAS only? Maybe that's why I'm not familiar.  I'm pretty happy with Amplitube 2.0 and its variants (Heavy Metal, Hendrix, Fender, SVX) but if there's something better out there, I just as well might try it. But...I just got  M-powered PT 7.4...time might come that I get the chance to try it.

Offline abusound

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 04:21:30 AM »

Eleven is available as RTAS only? Maybe that's why I'm not familiar.  I'm pretty happy with Amplitube 2.0 and its variants (Heavy Metal, Hendrix, Fender, SVX) but if there's something better out there, I just as well might try it. But...I just got  M-powered PT 7.4...time might come that I get the chance to try it.

Eleven is available in: TDM, RTAS, and Hardware (Rack) Versions.

Cheers!  :mrgreen:

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 02:35:41 PM »
IMO, Amplitube is 'ok' if you haven't used a tube amp extensively, especially the amps they model.

But once you try (or live) with some of the amps it tries to emulate, you'll start ranting how Amplitube sounds like 1110000101010101111.

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 08:17:46 PM »
IMO, Amplitube is 'ok' if you haven't used a tube amp extensively, especially the amps they model.

But once you try (or live) with some of the amps it tries to emulate, you'll start ranting how Amplitube sounds like 1110000101010101111.

Yeah kinda true. Pero one time dodj, I'll treat you to a blind test. I'll let you guess which tracks I'll post are amplitube and which are the real tube amps (yes I got some). To say the least, it's "usable" and yes that's saying the least for me.

What I just luuuuvvv about it is that even after you've laid down the guitar track, you can still change the character of your guitar sound. Like if you had a fickle guitarist who wanted a tubescreamer on a marshall sound today, then said I'll do a fuzzface on a fender instead. If you had that "hard-coded" via hardware, you're outta luck and will need to re-track even if the guitar take was perfect. Not with a plug-in like amplitube.

I speak kinda affirmatively about it coz it's the best (so far for me to qualify) that I've used and had. Compared to Rock Legends by Nomad and Amplitube 1.0, Amplitube 2.0 is just sooo much better.

But yeah, lemme hear that Eleven thing on PT M-powered...nothing like a good "blowing your mind" off once in a while specially for jadeheads like me.

Offline abusound

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 09:11:47 PM »
Hey BAMF, If you're free this Friday, I'll be bringing the Eleven Rack to Shinji's Place. He also has the Plug-in version. You're invited to come. And this serves as an invitation to the others as well.

Cheers!

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 11:07:32 PM »
Hey BAMF, If you're free this Friday, I'll be bringing the Eleven Rack to Shinji's Place. He also has the Plug-in version. You're invited to come. And this serves as an invitation to the others as well.

Cheers!

Waay cool. I'm totally booked till the weekend, but if one of my appointments friday afternoon cancels, I might be able to afford the long drive (yes I'm in Manila) to Shinji's. What time sir ? I just might make it.

Offline ves_morales

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 01:30:25 AM »
I guess generalizations are not applicable to everyone. I like analog but have to "live with" the noise. I like a certain "hiss" of tube amps when it gives breath to the sound, but not when no notes are played. I guess I got different facets in me, the guitarist who doesn't really care about the hiss, and the recording engineer who wants his sound output to be as pristine as possible. So yeah, maybe nobody can truly be completely happy.

That's why I run the guitar tracks through Waves X-Noise :-D

paborito ko sir ung amplitube fender ung metal head  :evil: ahaha

Offline abusound

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 10:05:25 AM »
Waay cool. I'm totally booked till the weekend, but if one of my appointments friday afternoon cancels, I might be able to afford the long drive (yes I'm in Manila) to Shinji's. What time sir ? I just might make it.

It's after lunch, around 1 or 2pm in the afternoon. Where's your studio? If you want we can schedule something and I can drive over to your place and test Eleven there. 

What do you think?

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 11:24:10 AM »
It's after lunch, around 1 or 2pm in the afternoon. Where's your studio? If you want we can schedule something and I can drive over to your place and test Eleven there. 

What do you think?

I'm not worthy sir. My studio is just an Indie hole-in-the wall. But maybe we can schedule something at MarvinQ's studio in Bicutan. I owe him a visit din. Perhaps next week would be great, around Wednesday 3pm or onward. Will coordinate with him.

Offline ves_morales

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 11:23:00 PM »

Cheers!

Sir hope u dont mind if I ask  pareho lang ba ng gamit ang eleven at amplitube???  tnx!  :-D

Offline abusound

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 11:54:42 PM »

Sir hope u dont mind if I ask  pareho lang ba ng gamit ang eleven at amplitube???  tnx!  :-D

In a way, yes, pareho sila ng gamit. But from my experience, malayo sila pagdating sa tonal quality and yung lapit ng tunog compared to the original.

You can fid out more about Eleven here: http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=115&langid=100&itemid=5422

Also, the invitation above is open for all. October 23, 2009, 1:00 PM at Sound Creation Studios.

@ BAMF, Ok ako sa Wednesday. Inform me na lang kung confirmed yung sked and yung exact location ng studio ni Marvin.

Cheers!

Offline ves_morales

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2009, 12:19:36 AM »
In a way, yes, pareho sila ng gamit. But from my experience, malayo sila pagdating sa tonal quality and yung lapit ng tunog compared to the original.

You can fid out more about Eleven here: http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=115&langid=100&itemid=5422

Also, the invitation above is open for all. October 23, 2009, 1:00 PM at Sound Creation Studios.

@ BAMF, Ok ako sa Wednesday. Inform me na lang kung confirmed yung sked and yung exact location ng studio ni Marvin.

Cheers!

Salamat sir!! oo nga sir nabasa ko  na ung link  mukhang maganda kaso pang mac lang sir?  sayang gusto ko sana matry  :-)

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2009, 12:57:56 AM »
Yeah kinda true. Pero one time dodj, I'll treat you to a blind test. I'll let you guess which tracks I'll post are amplitube and which are the real tube amps (yes I got some). To say the least, it's "usable" and yes that's saying the least for me.

What I just luuuuvvv about it is that even after you've laid down the guitar track, you can still change the character of your guitar sound. Like if you had a fickle guitarist who wanted a tubescreamer on a marshall sound today, then said I'll do a fuzzface on a fender instead. If you had that "hard-coded" via hardware, you're outta luck and will need to re-track even if the guitar take was perfect. Not with a plug-in like amplitube.

I speak kinda affirmatively about it coz it's the best (so far for me to qualify) that I've used and had. Compared to Rock Legends by Nomad and Amplitube 1.0, Amplitube 2.0 is just sooo much better.

But yeah, lemme hear that Eleven thing on PT M-powered...nothing like a good "blowing your mind" off once in a while specially for jadeheads like me.

Amplitube 2, Guitar Rig 3, Revalver, etc.  They ain't useless especially if you want to do the classic parallel DI method of recording guitars.  Perfect for live concerts.  In the event I am too lazy re-amping stuff, I can just slap in a plug-in.  But then I need to purchase the latest versions.  All I have are the trial versions and they sound pretty decent.

I think my major gripe about these things is how they sound WHILE TRACKING.  The dynamics are pretty dead IMO.  But if tone massaging is the  way to go, I can't discount that plug-ins can help save a great performance without having to reamp or re-track.

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2009, 02:18:53 AM »

Amplitube 2, Guitar Rig 3, Revalver, etc.  They ain't useless especially if you want to do the classic parallel DI method of recording guitars.  Perfect for live concerts.  In the event I am too lazy re-amping stuff, I can just slap in a plug-in.  But then I need to purchase the latest versions.  All I have are the trial versions and they sound pretty decent.

I think my major gripe about these things is how they sound WHILE TRACKING.  The dynamics are pretty dead IMO.  But if tone massaging is the  way to go, I can't discount that plug-ins can help save a great performance without having to reamp or re-track.

True, true. While tracking, most often than not the sound is not yet "tuned in". But then again, that's where the mixing stage comes in :-D. Still doesn't help in tracking tho'.

Saka certain things get lost when you mike the amp. Even the microphone itself introduces compression and when close-miking a loud amp, it will compress and worse add it's own distortion, not just killing the dynamics but also worsening the sound.

But I guess that's preaching to the choir. Heck..I'm not worthy, coz I AM the choir (and you should be doing the preachin hehehe)

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2009, 09:47:30 AM »

oh i remember Sancho praising the Eleven rack for it's dynamics and response.  much like the real thing daw.  and yes the unit can be used like you would Reamp.  maybe a test run and get together would be in order ;) 
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline abusound

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2009, 10:10:46 AM »

Salamat sir!! oo nga sir nabasa ko  na ung link  mukhang maganda kaso pang mac lang sir?  sayang gusto ko sana matry  :-)

It's for both Mac and Windows.

oh i remember Sancho praising the Eleven rack for it's dynamics and response.  much like the real thing daw.  and yes the unit can be used like you would Reamp.  maybe a test run and get together would be in order ;)  

Yep, I would definitely want to do a test run for the Eleven Rack with everyone. Just name the place and time and I'll bring my demo unit and pizza.

Cheers!

Offline ai..

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2009, 12:01:02 PM »
Amplitube fender kalmado rin.. Pero syempre yung hiss.. Dagdag character rin kasi.. TOO CLEAN.. Boring.. Depende na rin sa taste ng gumagamit.. Pwede rin gamitin sa drum kits.. Ginagamitan ko ng amplitube ampeg sa kick drum.. You can make good sounds.. For bass tracks.. Amplitube fender din.. Cool sounds.. di ko masyadong gusto labas ng amplitube ampeg.. Nakakatuwa din silang gamitin kung saan saan..
Drum kits nga for example..

disadvantages.. para sakin wala.. :-) Make art.. haha..

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2009, 12:10:59 PM »
I hope Eleven does not make me regret buying my new Marshall MK2 Lead.   :evil:  Nothing beats owning a MV Marshall and a non-master Marshall Plexi. :D

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2009, 05:45:52 PM »
Music is art in sound...

Offline ves_morales

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2009, 03:28:09 PM »
It's for both Mac and Windows.

Yep, I would definitely want to do a test run for the Eleven Rack with everyone. Just name the place and time and I'll bring my demo unit and pizza.

Cheers!

sige sige ma-itry nga  gusto ko malaman pagkakaiba nila ng amplitube

Offline MacoySIN

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2009, 02:04:02 AM »
May nabasa ako na article sa isang recording magazine, nag blind test yung mga pro recording engineers kung real amp or amplitube yung pinapakinggan nila. madaming nag akala na real amp yung amplitube and amplitube naman yung real amp. Nasa gumagamit din talaga yung results.