hulika

Author Topic: GAS slowdown  (Read 12718 times)

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: GAS slowdown
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2012, 04:30:19 AM »

1) He sounds as if his balls are squished... I don't mean it in a bad way but it sounds contrived.
-its called a falsetto. its been around a long time and since you're older than I am, you should know about this.

2) For me, I am NOT impressed with his guitar tones -- but you have to excuse me because I listened via Youtube so I could be totally wrong in a live situation.
-tone is subjective. impressions are even more fluid and flexible, especially when talking about youtube and live performance. remember your debacle with "hiyaw" a few years back? that was painful.

3) But to be honest, I prefer him to Willie Villarame but NONE of his songs are on the LEVEL OF JOURNEY.  It may be unfair to compare him to them but if I had the same amount of money to spend on a CD by Bon versus the Journey CD, I would in MY OPINION buy Journey.
-you can spend your money on what you want, really. both are there to provide variety. as far as "on the level of X" -i don't really know how to process it because both acts have not been around the same time and they both belong to a different genre, which is ultimately a retarded comparison.

willie villarme, bon iver and journey. this is the first time i have come across this comparison. your mind works in a unique way, i'll give you that.

really, AP serves a purpose in Journey. of course Schon is going to say the dude has soul - every replacement for Perry has had to have that because that is a very specific job, requiring a very specific ability that was set in place by a guy who left over 15 years ago yet the effect overshadows every hired gun in his place after he left.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2012, 04:37:33 AM »
1) He sounds as if his balls are squished... I don't mean it in a bad way but it sounds contrived.
-its called a falsetto. its been around a long time and since you're older than I am, you should know about this.
(I do not care about the technical jargon.  I am just saying he does BAD falsetto... but still uniquely his.  It gets tiring after awhile.)

2) For me, I am NOT impressed with his guitar tones -- but you have to excuse me because I listened via Youtube so I could be totally wrong in a live situation.
-tone is subjective. impressions are even more fluid and flexible, especially when talking about youtube and live performance. remember your debacle with "hiyaw" a few years back? that was painful.

(Oh believe it or not, more people now can hear 'hiyaw' than before.  But admittedly there are other who CANNOT hear it and no matter what I do I can't get them to hear it. I think at this point in time ALL MY SEVEN GUITARS prove that the 'hiyaw' property exist in different body types and construction types.  More than hiyaw which is just an indicator, what I am looking for really is character and magic.)

3) But to be honest, I prefer him to Willie Villarame but NONE of his songs are on the LEVEL OF JOURNEY.  It may be unfair to compare him to them but if I had the same amount of money to spend on a CD by Bon versus the Journey CD, I would in MY OPINION buy Journey.
-you can spend your money on what you want, really. both are there to provide variety. as far as "on the level of X" -i don't really know how to process it because both acts have not been around the same time and they both belong to a different genre, which is ultimately a retarded comparison.

(Huh?  Its not as difficult, I mean you don't have to over rationalize.  Just listen and in MY OPINION which is NOT necessarily the be all end all as you pointed out, Arnel does a better job conveying SOUL and Journey seems to make better songs.  Its just my opinion though.)

willie villarme, bon iver and journey. this is the first time i have come across this comparison. your mind works in a unique way, i'll give you that.

really, AP serves a purpose in Journey. of course Schon is going to say the dude has soul - every replacement for Perry has had to have that because that is a very specific job, requiring a very specific ability that was set in place by a guy who left over 15 years ago yet the effect overshadows every hired gun in his place after he left.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2012, 04:53:09 AM »
your opinions are valid, i was just pointing out my perspective in response to your answers. this isn't over rationalization -not by a long shot. i do rationalization for a living so this isn't even representative of top form:)

glad you have made strides in spreading the gospel of "hiyaw."

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2012, 04:57:28 AM »
your opinions are valid, i was just pointing out my perspective in response to your answers. this isn't over rationalization -not by a long shot. i do rationalization for a living so this isn't even representative of top form:)

glad you have made strides in spreading the gospel of "hiyaw."

Parang leap of faith ang 'hiyaw' if you can't hear. LOL :) 

P.S. I just want to say that I prefer to hear Bon anyday over Willie Villarme, Charice, Lady Gaga or Kate Perry.  He is sincere and you can feel the artist in him BUT I don't think he is up there yet...

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2012, 05:05:58 AM »
Parang leap of faith ang 'hiyaw' if you can't hear. LOL :) 

P.S. I just want to say that I prefer to hear Bon anyday over Willie Villarme, Charice, Lady Gaga or Kate Perry.  He is sincere and you can feel the artist in him BUT I don't think he is up there yet...

i prefer Kate Perry. she is prettier than Willie V.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 09:16:07 AM by abyssinianson »

Offline stratboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2012, 08:38:15 AM »
Based on the few snapshots of Bon Iver, he has a unique style. It reminds me of Enya to a certain extent because of its mood.  It seems that his songwriting is his strength and he is soulful BUT...

1) I think Arnel sings with more SOUL than he does even if its just a Journey song -- I have to agree with Neal Schon on this.  Bon has this monotone that I can appreciate but NOT listen to the whole day.  He sounds as if his balls are squished... I don't mean it in a bad way but it sounds contrived.
2) Bon Iver's songs can get boring despite the different textures he does which I like. 
3) For me, I am NOT impressed with his guitar tones -- but you have to excuse me because I listened via Youtube so I could be totally wrong in a live situation.
4) But to be honest, I prefer him to Willie Villarame but NONE of his songs are on the LEVEL OF JOURNEY.  It may be unfair to compare him to them but if I had the same amount of money to spend on a CD by Bon versus the Journey CD, I would in MY OPINION buy Journey.

What's your favorite album? Or recorded guitar tone? Just curious.

Offline superbida76

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2012, 09:04:29 AM »
Ako hindi lang nag-slowdown, STOP talaga ako ngayon. TESBUN si GF. Yeah!! :D
.....Congrats sir! We walk the same path. 1st trimester na..father to be at age 36.hahaha// ;)..I agree with FM55 on this. If you have the money, buy the best that can be bought, not by hype or social pressure.
GAS is not a disease...It's a motivation!

Offline treblinkalovescene

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2012, 11:47:28 AM »
Your attitude towards gear is a lot like your attitude towards life goals. Arguably, gear is kind of a life goal if you're so inclined. I guess a gear journey is set by what you have at this point in your life and how much of it you could point towards your sense of tonal bliss. Back then, I'd play any guitar I could get my hands on. On my second job ever, I moved up to a $1000 guitar after a series of trades. Next, I'm looking towards getting a Fender. Then amps. Then I'm done. For the meantime. Until I have the means to move further up. That's how I see it.
Offset guitars for life.

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2012, 04:13:20 PM »
Aside from the higher prices of crude... I am simply running out of things to buy. 

errr how about guitar lessons? :)
"there is a fine line between art and mukhang T-A-N-G-A"

https://soundcloud.com/jm-the-mute

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2012, 05:04:31 PM »
errr how about guitar lessons? :)

Kanino ko kukunin?  Ang hirap maghanap ng magaling na teacher dito sa Pinas.....

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2012, 05:11:20 PM »
Kanino ko kukunin?  Ang hirap maghanap ng magaling na teacher dito sa Pinas.....

you've searched for the best sounding equipment everywhere. im sure you'll find the best guitar teacher somewhere
"there is a fine line between art and mukhang T-A-N-G-A"

https://soundcloud.com/jm-the-mute

Offline AnalogKiD

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2012, 05:59:20 PM »
I agree with FM55 on this. If you have the money, buy the best that can be bought, not by hype or social pressure.

tingin ko sa mga ganun mga alipin sa kung ano ang uso...
Shut up! We know you can play!

Offline spetsnaz1123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2012, 10:11:59 PM »
you've searched for the best sounding equipment everywhere. im sure you'll find the best guitar teacher somewhere

:-D
'one never fails until he quits trying'

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2012, 04:23:23 AM »

Unfortunately, wala sa Pinas...

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2012, 04:24:04 AM »

Offline shoegazer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2012, 12:13:17 PM »
Since you're running out of things to use your money on, why not pay for someone's chemotherapy or heart transplant? I mean, a Gil Yaron is much more expensive than those, but not that you have to, though. It's just a friendly suggestion. (You could) Use your existential crisis for the greater good.

Offline gyrome

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2012, 12:42:14 PM »
Unfortunately, wala sa Pinas...

HOMAYGAD!!!

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2012, 01:03:41 PM »
for me, Id rather focus on more gigs and exposure..mas masarap at satisfying yung feeling pag nakakatugtog kesa sa pag accumulate ng equipment...di ko yata matake na million pesos rig ko tapos..bedroom guitarist lang ako..

Di ko matake na I can be so technical and indepth in explaining the science of how an electric guitar gets its tone...through upgrades and highend products..to the quality of solder used...

I want to play on stage ...in front of people..all day every day!!!

to Get our music out there!!!

turn on ,tune in and ROCK out!! Woooo!!
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2012, 01:05:51 PM »
Since you're running out of things to use your money on, why not pay for someone's chemotherapy or heart transplant? I mean, a Gil Yaron is much more expensive than those, but not that you have to, though. It's just a friendly suggestion. (You could) Use your existential crisis for the greater good.

I am already spending on my OWN chemotherapy.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2012, 01:09:14 PM »
for me, Id rather focus on more gigs and exposure..mas masarap at satisfying yung feeling pag nakakatugtog kesa sa pag accumulate ng equipment...di ko yata matake na million pesos rig ko tapos..bedroom guitarist lang ako..

Di ko matake na I can be so technical and indepth in explaining the science of how an electric guitar gets its tone...through upgrades and highend products..to the quality of solder used...

I want to play on stage ...in front of people..all day every day!!!

to Get our music out there!!!

turn on ,tune in and ROCK out!! Woooo!!

Good for you... Good Luck.  Di ko rin ma-take nag gig pero less than P20k lang ang gastos sa equipment -- sakit sa tenga.  Well I guess to each his own.

Offline ianhisoka47

• Veteran Member
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2012, 01:17:44 PM »
9) Buy US made and European guitars and Amps.  I know that I have said this before but it ALSO reduces your purchases.  The US and Europeans have higher standards with regards to good sounding audio gear -- I say more so than the Japanese.
I hope this helps...

I don't quite believe on this. Japanese is somehow on par quality with US and Europeans.

Offline treblinkalovescene

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2012, 01:30:27 PM »
Gear naman kasi is an art in itself that has little to do with the musician. How these things are crafted and designed are exercises in artistic expression rin e. If band life is taken as both art and a lifestyle, both the gear and the actual equipment are crucial components. FM55 sums up the gear-oriented extremity of the whole experience so it's pointless to equate e. You will NOT reach a common consensus, understand the guy on his own terms. I find his posts insightful with due filtering of things he's said before.
Offset guitars for life.

Offline juwanfidle09

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2012, 01:43:39 PM »
1) Buy the best -- avoid brands with advertisements and everything carried in Audiophile, JB Mart, Perfect Pitche, TMS, Lazer etc.  ( I repeat this because I would consider them the Toyotas of Musical Instruments and nothing else)

- at some point, agree ako dito. :)

2) Always looks for the person or ear behind the product your buying -- if its a group of engineers forget it even if its says Marshall

- meron naman reliable dito na pwedeng humingi ng advice (para sa akin)  :)

3) You don't need more stuff in terms of looks, style or COLOR but you NEED a lot of the good sounding stuff which is rare!!!

- tama, aesthetics lang naman yun. kumpara nalang natin sa chix na nagkakagusto sa guwapong douchebag na may ferrari na kotse, tapos yung mga mababait na mukhang singaw nasa friendzone  :lol:

4) Avoid Youtube because its never accurate compared to how the piece of equipment translates in terms of feel.

- tama! compression sucks  :eek:

5) Subscribe to Tonequest Report because they limit your scope to the good sounding stuff and I have tried their recommendations which beats any recommendation on this forum!!!

- going to subscribe soon, may fee ba to?  :)

6) Have other experts with better ears and experience than you select your equipment instead.  This way the ego is deflated by someone in authority. 

- agree ako dito except for the "select your equipment" part.   :)

7) Conversely, it is dangerous to keep selecting equipment based on your visual and physical specifications and requirements.  Use Feel and Sound instead.

- nagkaroon na ako ng bad experience na ganito (noong high school pa and non music related gear). since then nagreresearch na ako bago ako bumili  :)

8) Again, don't buy amps and guitars unless they cost US$3k and above.  I know that I have said this before but it does indeed reduce purchases.

- Kung may budget naman, why not? Kung wala, make most of what you have.  :)

9) Buy US made and European guitars and Amps.  I know that I have said this before but it ALSO reduces your purchases.  The US and Europeans have higher standards with regards to good sounding audio gear -- I say more so than the Japanese.

- "no comment" made in south korea kasi gitara ko, hahahaha!  :lol:

10) Don't believe any major brand endorsement by successful artists.  Just remember than the manufacturers who produce the best sounding equipment do NOT have the money to pay the endorsement fees of the big artists.  They are too busy trying to produce magical sounding equipment one at a time.

- Graphtech endorser here, they don't pay me but I believe in the quality of their products :)

« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 02:40:06 PM by juwanfidle09 »

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2012, 02:31:47 PM »
What's wrong with Toyota? :idea:
"Check out how Eddie Van Halen doesn’t pick his fast notes with all the same boring velocity. He makes most of his fast licks almost funky by picking some notes harder than others." - Jason Becker

Offline guitarbrat

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2012, 02:38:35 PM »
What's wrong with Toyota? :idea:

Maybe coz they had a lot of recalls. Even their luxor brand lexus had some issues lately.   :idea: