hulika

Author Topic: do you agree that most "popular" artists today lack CREATIVITY?  (Read 12583 times)

Offline bea_rox

• Philmusicus Addictus
do you agree that most "popular" artists today lack CREATIVITY?
« on: January 29, 2007, 09:32:43 PM »
i absolutely do but i dont think its enough to hate them.. i mean instead of like,hating them and ranting on how much they suck. why dont we just listen to something more worth our time? its that simple.  :mrgreen:
Med student. Bassist. Jazz fan.

View my youtube videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/beabass

Offline Gep

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: do you agree that most "popular" artists today lack CREATIVITY?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 09:42:03 PM »
Dati, konti lang ang may access sa kakaibang music, at the same time, maraming mga banda ang nakaka-discover ng uncharted territories.

Ngayon naman, the other way around na. Dahil sa dami ng napapakinggan natin at sa access natin sa lahat ng music, nagiging mas discerning tayo as listeners, kaya parang nagmumukhang magkapareho ang mga tugtog nila.

Offline Santo Muerte

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 02:31:33 AM »
I get rashes on my testicles whenever I hear music that's unoriginal & mediocre, so you can't blame me for being a hater.

Offline isis

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 01:36:17 PM »
:lol: stay away from a good number of fm stations, for your testicles' well-being.

it's difficult to escape listening to the latest superhit mediocrity when everyone around you can't get enough of it. we can't  ask fx/jeep drivers to switch off love radio and play emerson lake and palmer instead. not all of us can afford ipods, either. i can't help but sympathize with people that rant about bad music being shoved down their throat.
i'm not crazy. the rest of the world is.

Offline frogfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 08:08:03 PM »
OT @isis: Madame, I have suggested to bea_rox that you bass ladies have an EB.  :-)
"Competition is for horses, not artists." - Bela Bartok

"I don’t like to look back, because the whole point in jazz is doing it now." - Scott LaFaro

Offline avery97

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 02:20:43 AM »
di  naman most pro marami tlaga ung wlang creativity...pro it doesnt mean na napplay sila lagi sa radio,tv or nbbasa sa magazines ay di sila magaling, meron lang talaga na iilan dyan na ala talagang kwenta!! :evil:

Offline isis

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 02:20:51 PM »
OT @isis: Madame, I have suggested to bea_rox that you bass ladies have an EB.  :-)

frogfunk, that would be cool! but it would be great if some of you bass gentlemen want to join us too. para di all-girls school yung dating. hehehe. :lol:
i'm not crazy. the rest of the world is.

Offline IncX

• Board Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 02:48:48 PM »

i think most popular artists lack that creativity... but its not so bad... at least i dont have to listen to unpopular bands and their lack of creativity - i am sure there is a greater number of them out there (i do make songs that arent creative too btw, hehe).

the thing is, MOST ppl lack creativity... from politics, to business, to relationships to movies to school and to music...

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 03:14:49 AM »
No I don't.... there are many good artists out there that we get exposed to even on non-mainstream channels like the Internet. How can you generalize?

Check out the PhilMusic Facebook Page! "Like" us now!

http://facebook.com/philmusic.dotcom

Offline frogfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 01:50:59 PM »

frogfunk, that would be cool! but it would be great if some of you bass gentlemen want to join us too. para di all-girls school yung dating. hehehe. :lol:

Last OT: Madame, try to browse our forum. Nagluluto na ulit ng EB and may film showing pa.  :-D

"I don’t like to look back, because the whole point in jazz is doing it now." - Scott LaFaro

Offline frogfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2007, 01:54:17 PM »
Back to regular programming...

"Creativity" is subjective. Our creativity is only limited by the number, depth and breadth of our artistic tools and knowledge. I think the real question here is do they want to move on forward and pick up more knowledge so that they'd be able to come up with something fresh?

Offline otistikako

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2007, 09:22:48 PM »
Back to regular programming...

"Creativity" is subjective. Our creativity is only limited by the number, depth and breadth of our artistic tools and knowledge. I think the real question here is do they want to move on forward and pick up more knowledge so that they'd be able to come up with something fresh?
Agree. Invent some vague genre, mish-mash this with this, and probably invent some [strawberry] killer music instrument. May tunog/ingay pa ba sa mundo na hindi naisisilang? I think as long as there are people seekingfor innovation as purpose then there would be fresher music to come. Think of the Herbie Hancocks and the Bjorks and those with pioneering musical ideas.  :-D
All these accidents,
That happen,
Follow the dot, Coincidence, Makes sense, Only with you, You don't have to speak, I feel.

Offline ninejuicyjulius

• Banned from AGT
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2007, 12:32:46 PM »
para sagutin ang tanong, oo. kulang, at hindi WALANG creativity.

optimistik ako sa music scene. kung nakukulangan man tayo ng creativity mula sa ibang musicians, nasa kanila naman ang lahat ng pagkakataon para i-improve ang craft. kaya nga sila sumusulat at nagkokompows para matuto at umayos. sana nga ganun ang takbo ng utak nila, at hindi para sa salapi at kasikatan lang. hehe.

Ows? Di nga?

Offline frogfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2007, 01:18:45 PM »
I just stumbled upon this thought: Di kaya gusto din nilang mag-improve ang creativity nila kaso kulang lang sila sa time because of the schedules imposed on them by their labels to finish a record?

Offline IncX

• Board Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2007, 01:26:51 PM »
I just stumbled upon this thought: Di kaya gusto din nilang mag-improve ang creativity nila kaso kulang lang sila sa time because of the schedules imposed on them by their labels to finish a record?

either that or mas maraming pera lang talaga yung progression na E C D with matching DS1 distortion

Offline Tasty

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2007, 11:28:58 PM »
...maraming pera lang talaga yung progression na E C D with matching DS1 distortion
Either that or D A Bm G with matching DS1 distortion. :lol:
Change the way you gig with innovative gear upgrades from gigkitty!

Offline Santo Muerte

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2007, 09:40:14 AM »
That's not an excuse.

Offline The D

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2007, 11:37:00 AM »
I somewhat agree. Parang karamihan ngayon recycled na lang.

Offline bea_rox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2007, 10:21:29 PM »
...maraming pera lang talaga yung progression na E C D with matching DS1 distortion
Either that or D A Bm G with matching DS1 distortion. :lol:
haha  :-D
Med student. Bassist. Jazz fan.

View my youtube videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/beabass

Offline soulshifter

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2007, 12:37:05 AM »
ako i think hindi naman sa walang creativity. anong malay natin kung first time sumulat nung artist ng ganong kanta,... nagkataon ang alam lang nya talaga basic chords pero maganda talaga yung melody.... nagiging uncreative lang naman sila para sa listeners na medyo malawak ung influences o kaya minsan malalim. di rin natin maaalis na the best melodies are sometimes created over the simplest chord patterns. in any case they did come up with a song.

di rin naman natin masisisi na ung mas malaking part ng listening population eh mas gusto ung mga simpleng kanta kaisa sa mga "alternative" tunes na alam ng karamihan satin dito sa forums natin. kaya medyo minsan talo talo na para sa mga "popular" bands...  :-D

Offline cocaineshake

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2007, 04:16:54 PM »
I JOINED THIS FORUM JUST TO REPLY TO THIS POST.
i am a filipino living in america. a few months ago, i thought id go and listen to some songs that are popular in the philippines. i was greatly disapointed because EVERY SINGLE BAND/SINGER/SINGER i've heard of so far is so westernized and "americanized" and no offense but they don't do a very good job at it. i give my respect to those who are still singing in tagalog but the music is just so bad...i personally think that the main stream audience of the philippines call for western sounding music, music that is popular in the US (my chemical romance and bands similar to them, kelly clarkson(?) and singers similar to her), and that's exactly what they get back, except that the bandmates and singers are filipino which makes it ""OPM", which to my understand stands for original pilipino music, which i don't think makes sense at all because it sounds exactly the same as american music and lyrics but sometimes in tagalog.

i'm just glad that there is one band out there that distinguishes themselves from the popular music in the philippines these days: pinikpikan. they incorporate traditional filipino music with electric guitars and bass and drums, it's pretty cool. it's better than any of the bands or singers on this forum that i'm aware of. now they are truly "OPM". but that's just my opinion. to each it's own...

Offline thinkfloyd

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2007, 08:37:00 PM »
Original Pilipino Music, yep Pinikpikan has it down pat. But as for the other bands? They are creative, save for those who steal from other foreign acts, you know who they are. Who is to judge anyway what's truly creative? All music is derived from one form or another. Whether it be primal grunts or beats inspired by nature itself. Name one band you think is truly creative, and I guarantee you, you'll find some other band or act who came first and sounds just like them. To be influenced is not bad, it's those who steal 2/3 of a song's parts that are guilty. As for 3-chord songs? You feel it's not creative? Look at BB King, he plays a single note for an entire solo, yet it blows the competition away. Creativity is relative. Listen to 'More Human Than Human' by White Zombie, you think it had a flotilla of chords? I believe it has less than two chords. Maybe even one. Point here is, the problem with those who think creativity is lax today probably just don't get it. People didn't get Van Gogh in his time, so was Bach... so who's to say really? Peace! :mrgreen:

Offline Santo Muerte

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2007, 05:44:16 AM »
Listen to 'More Human Than Human' by White Zombie, you think it had a flotilla of chords? I believe it has less than two chords. Maybe even one.
That song may have less than 5 chords on it but they're used very effectively so it sounds crushing AND grooving at the same time.  Even the part where J Yuenger uses the slide bar, which is commonly used in Country & Blues, also fits perfectly. I like that song & I'll choose it anytime over any other song with more chords but sounds boring. The point here is that you can use the same old time-tested chord progressions on any song over & over again, but it's up to you to make it sound fresh.

Point here is, the problem with those who think creativity is lax today probably just don't get it. People didn't get Van Gogh in his time, so was Bach... so who's to say really? Peace! :mrgreen:
Wow, did Van Gogh & Bach just got compared to these slew of untalented, pop-rock-cover-quasi boybands that are popular today?

Offline ninejuicyjulius

• Banned from AGT
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2007, 11:42:11 AM »
ayan. napupunta ang ating usapan naman ngayon sa originality. ayos. hehe.

sa palagay ko, tayo ay nabubuhay na sa isang postmodernist world kung saan malabo na ang konseptong orihinal. kumbaga, tayo ay patuloy na nagrerepackage na lamang ng mga bagay na nagawa na sa nakalipas na 'orihinal' din. nagdadagdag. nagbabawas. at ang nagiging produkto nito ay tinuturing na nating "orihinal." pero orihinal nga ba?

depende rin kasi sa pakahulugan ng salitang 'orihinal'. at sa pagtingin ko sa salitang orihinal, ang orihinal ay puro. walang bahid ng impluwensiya mula sa isa pang hiwalay na likha. kaya gamit ang depinisyon na ito ng orihinal, sa palagay ko, wala nang orihinal talaga.

ang pagkaangkla rin ng OPM sa kanluraning impluwensiya ay hindi maiiwasan dahil unang una, sa mga instrumento pa lang na ginagamit, kanluraning impluwensiya na. mga gitara, tambol, synthesizer, at kung anu ano pa. siguro kung nasabayan nating naimbento ang electric kulintang sa electric guitar ng kanluran, malamang 'orihinal' tayo. (hehe, jowk lang.) tapos nandiyan pa ang konseptong Post Colonialist perspective, na hindi ko na tatalakayin dito dahil malamang murahin niya na ako. hehe.

pero kahit nga ang kulintang ay nate-trace ang roots mula sa mga instrumentong mero din sa mga karatig bansa natin sa Asya.

ayun.

PS
malupet talaga ang Pinikpikan. ay lab Carol Bello so mats. hehe. nagtuturo ata siya ng Music in Film sa UP Film Institute.

Ows? Di nga?

Offline cocaineshake

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2007, 03:26:43 PM »
Point here is, the problem with those who think creativity is lax today probably just don't get it. People didn't get Van Gogh in his time, so was Bach... so who's to say really? Peace! :mrgreen:
Wow, did Van Gogh & Bach just got compared to these slew of untalented, pop-rock-cover-quasi boybands that are popular today?

that's what i thought after i read that....

http://myspace.com/kadangyan
go there and listen to elal lay. maximum of 4 different chords. and it is beautiful
i really really wish there were more bands like this in the philippines...