hulika

Author Topic: Gundam Kits and Mods  (Read 173257 times)

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Gundam Kits and Mods
« Reply #575 on: December 30, 2011, 06:39:31 PM »
Will this also work on paints from a spray can? Thanks again

It should.  The alcohol will take some time, though.  Also, test whatever you plan to use on runners first, just to make sure.
X2M Coffee Moment: Did want You

New Manila Sound

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #576 on: December 31, 2011, 10:59:58 AM »
I'd defer from using denatured alcohol here since they use acetone as an additive. Acetone with eat the styrene from your gundams like crazy. Oven cleaner is usually the preferred paint stripper, but remember it will also strip away any chrome/metallic plating from the model.

Some other paint removers are engine degreasers and brake fluid - these are rather nasty stuff and you have to clean the plastic thoroughly afterwards. For lacquer- and enamel-based paint, they say kerosene is a great paint stripper. As always, test on some sprues before using on your favorite model. I've seen some plastics literally disintegrate (not melt, mind you) when used with these chemicals. When cleaning the model, thoroughly soak in water with a strong liquid detergent.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #577 on: December 31, 2011, 04:55:57 PM »
Sorry, I meant regular Isopropyl/Ethyl Alcohol, not denatured. 

New Manila Sound

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #578 on: January 03, 2012, 01:49:34 AM »
Gallery photos of the Ronin.

More pictures here:

http://mxgs.blogspot.com/2011/12/dragon-ronin-gallery.html

New Manila Sound

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #579 on: January 03, 2012, 08:40:29 PM »
The MAC Forums 2012 Mecha Contest is up and running.  We had an enormous influx of entries just on the first day, and we expect more entries coming in soon.  The competition will run for the next six months, so you'll have plenty of time to build.

The highlight of this contest are the Prizes.  Just head on to http://boards.themacforums.com/index/ for more details.

RULES VER 2.5

Definition of "MECHA": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mecha
If you are unsure on your entry please feel free to pm "KAMM" or "SNEEPER1980" to clarify if your entry is valid.

1. EVERY entry must be submitted with a photo demonstrating the kit
was started after January 1st 2012. Use the "ENTRY PASS POSTER" available here: and (click spoiler for example)

- Kits can be snap fitted but no changes maybe done in the entry photo.
- Resin entries must not be completely clean (de-nubbing, sanding must be done after January 1st) although this is relative, exceptions may be made. Please do contact "KAMM" or "SNEEPER1980" to clarify if your entry is valid.
- Entry photos are used to verify that the project was not started before Jan 1. Any questions about the validity of the entry will be handled between the judges and the individual, Entries that contain elements started and/or completed before Jan 1 will be disqualified.
- If we take issue with your entry picture we will contact you immediately to discuss your entry.

2.Contest will run until July 1st &
- You can enter more than one kit.
- You can enter a kit in more than one category as longs as your entry adheres to the rules of each category.

3. Any MECH style kit is allowed (if unsure please pm me or sneeper1980)
example: Zoids, Ma.k, Gundam, Robotech, Super Robot Wars, FSS, etc.

4. RESIN kits & RESIN conversion kits are accepted
- We ask that the kits are not completely cleaned (de-nubbed or sanded) but we will accept projects started close to the starting date. If we take issue with your entry picture we will contact you immediately to discuss your entry.

5. CATEGORIES:

OOB PAINTED

Kits that are UNCHANGED (physically) Such as Modifications or Physical Damage but are solo painted belong in the "OOB PAINTED" Category.
- Custom paint jobs are accepted.
- Seam line removal is accepted.
- Waterslide decals are accepted.
- Plastic add on kits may be used. The must follow to these rules:
- Must be an official product for the model. Example: Dengeki Hobby kits for Bandai's Gundams, Schneider unit for Zoids Liger Zerro.
- Must be plastic. B-club resin accessories will shift entry to the resin category.
- Must be used for the proper kit. Example: Can not use Schneider unit for a Great Horn, or Wagtail parts on an Exia.
- Panel line filling is accepted.
- Panel line scribing is not accepted.
- Use of aftermarket watersides is accepted.
- Action Bases/Stands (made by Bandai, etc) or Custom Bases (that doesn't qualify as Dioramas) can be used to display an entry's poseability. Organizers/Judges will determine what constitutes as a Diorama and a Custom base and shall be discussed with entrant, as the case may be (see rule 6).

MODIFIED PLASTIC/CUSTOM

Kits that are changed from their original form (physically) such as modifications,
physical damage or Kit bashing belong in "MODIFIED PLASTIC" Category.

DIORAMA

Kits that feature diorama setting are to be placed in the "DIORAMA" Category.
-Multiple kits may be used.
-Resin is accepted in this category.
-No size limitations (only we ask you provide evidence of when the diorama was started. See rule 1.)
-Non model kits, such as Figurearts, Revoltech may be used as diorama material. The main subject must be built by the modeler.
NOTE: The use of unaltered figures is discouraged but allowed. Judges will be judging on the end result and the work put into it. An unaltered figure is not as desired as an custom painted figure, and likewise not as desired as a model or scratch built figure. USE DISCRETION.

RESIN PAINTED/MODIFIED

Resin kits and/or Resin Conversion that are straight painted or have been modified are to be placed into the "RESIN PAINTED/MODIFIED" category.

CONCEPT

When entering the "CONCEPT" category. Entrants must follow the rules below:
The intent of this category is to show superior modeling skills, and creativity. This category will test the modelers ability to design something new and unique, using scratch building techniques. Dioramas do not count in this category.

-Kit must NOT already exist in a licensed mechs Franchise universe, having previously been a model kit or not.
That means:
-No Gundam designs
-No FSS designs
-No Super Robot Wars designs
-No Warhammer 40k designs
-No Zoids designs
-No Armored core designs
…You get the point.

- Kit must be an original design. Entries who receive complaints and/or comments as to there originality will be investigated and/or disqualified. KEEP IT YOURS!
- Parts from other kits maybe used but ultimately the build must be scratch built by the builder.
- Kits will receive higher marks for the amount of scratch building. Kit bashing will receive fewer points.
- Entrants MUST create a WIP thread on the MAC forums giving pictures and description of their build showing the "ENTRY PASS POSTER" (see rule 1)
- WIPs are used to verify the level of scratch building used and the validity of the design as unique.
- WIPs do not have to be updated with any tracked regularity but come submission time the WIP must contain enough to verify the build.
- Use common sense.

6. Stands my be used in any category to display and take photos for submission, but outside the Diorama category they will not be considered in the grading of the entry.

7. When Submitting entries. Please see (example coming...)

8. Entries that do not adhere to the rules will be disqualified.

9. If you have any questions please see the Questions posted below before asking. Thank you

[big]VIDEO GUIDE ON HOW TO ENTER: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frdwqvcT4mQ[/big]

New Manila Sound

Offline kurtcobainer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #580 on: January 17, 2012, 12:04:18 PM »
Where do you buy your Gundam? I am interested in assembling one. Where should I start? I really like Strike Freedom (Full Burst) or Unicorn. You think for a noob pwede nako sa MG or should I start with HG muna?

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #581 on: January 17, 2012, 12:14:32 PM »
Where do you buy your Gundam? I am interested in assembling one. Where should I start? I really like Strike Freedom (Full Burst) or Unicorn. You think for a noob pwede nako sa MG or should I start with HG muna?

Start small and cheap if you like, with 1/144 and 1/100 HGs.  Most of the new HGs are actually good nowadays.

Get an MGs if you want more parts to tinker with.

I get my stuff from Greattoysonline.  Michiko is also selling Gundams online.

New Manila Sound

Offline kurtcobainer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #582 on: January 17, 2012, 03:27:28 PM »
Start small and cheap if you like, with 1/144 and 1/100 HGs.  Most of the new HGs are actually good nowadays.

Get an MGs if you want more parts to tinker with.

I get my stuff from Greattoysonline.  Michiko is also selling Gundams online.

Thanks!

Went to Greenhills a while ago and got me this. Sale sila ng Gundams 10%, hahaha.

Offline Papapuzza

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #583 on: January 18, 2012, 12:10:13 AM »
Great mods, Matanglawin. I wish I also had the time and creativity to modify my existing stock Master Grades.

Anyway...

:drool:
Transacted With: BossingBoss, El_Sol, JoshNerez, Muffinman, Papotz, Rebiscoco, Saturn/Return, Spankyrigor, Teleclem, Weedman

Offline kurtcobainer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #584 on: January 18, 2012, 01:03:16 AM »
Great mods, Matanglawin. I wish I also had the time and creativity to modify my existing stock Master Grades.

Anyway...

:drool:

Yup, nag-order na din ako nito, hehehe :)

Offline gwenmoyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #585 on: January 18, 2012, 10:31:37 AM »
ganda talaga ng heavyarms  :razz:
whoa! nice rig you got there, DINOSAUR!!!

Offline kurtcobainer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #586 on: January 19, 2012, 02:34:34 PM »

Soooo happy! Done with my first Gundam  :-D

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #587 on: January 19, 2012, 04:56:11 PM »
Just be careful posing the wings too much to often.  The articulation mechanism that make the wings fold out gets worn down rather quickly because that color of ABS is softer than the grey or black.

New Manila Sound

Offline kurtcobainer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #588 on: January 19, 2012, 08:19:33 PM »
Just be careful posing the wings too much to often.  The articulation mechanism that make the wings fold out gets worn down rather quickly because that color of ABS is softer than the grey or black.

Alrighty, thanks for the tip. :-)

Offline gwenmoyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #589 on: January 20, 2012, 01:24:53 AM »
[img width=600 height=902]https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/397877_351315064897297_100000564207601_1316094_963814236_n.jpg

Soooo happy! Done with my first Gundam  :-D

wow ganda! at ang bilis magbuo ah...
whoa! nice rig you got there, DINOSAUR!!!

Offline kurtcobainer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #590 on: January 20, 2012, 03:05:53 PM »
wow ganda! at ang bilis magbuo ah...

Hehehe, salamat bro. 2 days na walang ginagawa eh. :-D

Offline heyman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #591 on: January 20, 2012, 03:08:48 PM »
like!! may mura bang gundam na pwedeng kulayan? mga magkano yung ganon?
yada yada yada.....

Offline kurtcobainer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #592 on: January 20, 2012, 06:32:44 PM »
like!! may mura bang gundam na pwedeng kulayan? mga magkano yung ganon?

Meron daw. Yung mga knock off lang. Sa 168 madami daw dun. 400 lang ata. Pero sabi nila hirap daw i-assemble eh. May mga parts na sablay. Mag High Grade ka nalang, mas mura yun pero magandang quality naman.

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #593 on: January 20, 2012, 07:29:36 PM »
I discourage buying knockoffs/bootlegs.  Sayang lang ang ipinambili mo.

If you want to start small and cheap, try the SD series, or the cheaper HGs. they range from PhP400 up.

New Manila Sound

Offline heyman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #594 on: January 20, 2012, 07:34:07 PM »
I discourage buying knockoffs/bootlegs.  Sayang lang ang ipinambili mo.

If you want to start small and cheap, try the SD series, or the cheaper HGs. they range from PhP400 up.

e bakit both priced at 400 up? dami siguro maloloko sa 168. cge ill try to look for one mukhang ok para malibang libang. addictive ba to as hobby?
yada yada yada.....

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #595 on: January 20, 2012, 08:21:05 PM »
e bakit both priced at 400 up? dami siguro maloloko sa 168. cge ill try to look for one mukhang ok para malibang libang. addictive ba to as hobby?

Bootleg prices are always about less than half the actual market price.  The 400 bootleg is a 1/100 NG kit.  The 400 authentic is either an SD or 1/144 HG.

Say an authentic MG that costs 2K will only be around 800 bootleg.  A 1K HG, around 250, etc.

New Manila Sound

Offline kurtcobainer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #596 on: January 20, 2012, 09:05:34 PM »
Sir matanglawin, just a question. I tried using my 0.1 techpen on the lines and small holes of my gundam. Kaya lang, nabubura sila and sometimes it gets a little messy. What should I use as substitute?

Thanks.

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #597 on: January 20, 2012, 09:16:21 PM »
Sir matanglawin, just a question. I tried using my 0.1 techpen on the lines and small holes of my gundam. Kaya lang, nabubura sila and sometimes it gets a little messy. What should I use as substitute?

Thanks.

Deepen the panel lines. Or, wait for the ink to dry completely, especially on bare plastic.

There's also the copic markers, and some use 0.5 pencils.

New Manila Sound

Offline kurtcobainer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #598 on: January 20, 2012, 09:22:34 PM »
Deepen the panel lines. Or, wait for the ink to dry completely, especially on bare plastic.

There's also the copic markers, and some use 0.5 pencils.

Ok. Thanks. Will try this tonight.

Offline shoegazer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #599 on: January 23, 2012, 02:32:16 AM »
Sali ako mga sir!

Got two "bootleg" MC Gundams - the Nu and Hi-Nu

Not pictured: a [gooey brown stuff] Genoace haha
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 07:13:01 PM by shoegazer »