hulika

Author Topic: John Mayer - CONTINUUM  (Read 9375 times)

Offline pmack

• Philmusicus Addictus
John Mayer - CONTINUUM
« on: October 10, 2006, 03:15:52 PM »

Sigh...

I have never been a big John Mayer fan.

I mean, yeah, I don't change the station when i hear his songs on the radio, but I have never bought any of his CD's. I couldn't understand all the super-hype about this one artist who reminds me a little bit of Dave Matthews (the man, not the band).

Until now.

After hearing samples of John Mayer's foray into blues with his John Mayer Trio live CD (TRY!), I thought, "Hmmm, great guitar work". I must emphasize though, that I am a drummer so my attention got side-tracked sometimes from Mayer's voice/lyrics/guitar playing to funkmaster Steve Jordan's drum patterns (which are awesome).

Then, not even a year after releasing the John Mayer Trio "TRY!" CD, he releases this. This must be the best CD of 2006 so far. This has GOTTA BE the best CD of 2006.

Mature subject matter, more bluesy and melancholic. I think Mayer is opening new doors in his musical palette (or maybe he's just showing 'em now). I mean, he's paying homage to his roots and I love it. In the JM Trio CD he covered Ray Charles' "I Got A Woman", then here, he covers Jimi Hendrix's "Bold As Love". How much more "old school" can you be?

Thank you John Mayer for this release.
Thank you for trying to save american pop music.
I sure hope you succeed...

Offline cosmicbebelgum

• Philmusicus Noobitus
John Mayer - CONTINUUM
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 03:45:57 AM »
I'm the biggest John Mayer fan ever! I love all of his albums and songs, even those that he plays out of his album. I'd be in the front seats if ever he performs in Manila.

For me, I think his first album (Room For Squares) was just a way to clear his entrance that's why he went mainstream for a while. His 2nd album (Heavier Things), slowly is opening up for that blues-feel kinda sound. And now that he all has our ears, he decided to open up the blues for it in his 3rd album (JM3 - John Mayer Trio). I've only heard 2 of his songs in his Continuum album, namely 'Who Did You Think I Was' and 'Dreaming of a Broken Heart.'

You should see him play live concerts, try youtube, because like he said in one of his interviews its always different whenever he performs live.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.

Offline spilledmilk

• Philmusicus Addictus
John Mayer - CONTINUUM
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 03:54:57 PM »
i havent bought the cd pero i got to listen from my officemates copy...

AXIS BOLD AS LOVE!!!!!!
GRAVITY!!!!
THE HEART OF LIFE!!!!

these are the ones that just stood out...in my opinion...pero the whole album is great...walang tapon

im officially a fan now.
Gibson SG Standard Silverburst
Siochi Custom Lead GT 50 Watt Head
Matching 2x12 Cab with Vintage 30s

Offline jussujjus

• Philmusicus Noobitus
John Mayer - CONTINUUM
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 08:44:59 AM »
gravity!! the best talaga
cactus fever

Offline pmack

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: John Mayer - CONTINUUM
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 10:10:23 AM »
I'm the biggest John Mayer fan ever! I love all of his albums and songs, even those that he plays out of his album. I'd be in the front seats if ever he performs in Manila.

I've only heard 2 of his songs in his Continuum album, namely 'Who Did You Think I Was' and 'Dreaming of a Broken Heart.'

wow! the song 'Who Did You Think I Was' is from the "TRY!" cd by the JOHN MAYER TRIO. it is not in the CONTINUUM cd. so, you're his biggest fan, huh?

Offline rodney vidanes

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 03:39:49 AM »
this album i truly like...he sings like black! the emotions are authentic...and what a surprise, it's Pino Palladino on bass, one of the most versatile session bassplayers on earth!

* check out Bass Player magazine Nov2006 issue
John 3:16

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 08:16:06 AM »
this album i truly like...he sings like black! the emotions are authentic...and what a surprise, it's Pino Palladino on bass, one of the most versatile session bassplayers on earth!

* check out Bass Player magazine Nov2006 issue

Haven' listened to the new Mayer album yet but I just love the John Mayer Trio live album with Pino Palladino and Steve Jordan.  Great playing! Even if Mayer was a pure instrumentalist he'd have it made.
Check out the PhilMusic Facebook Page! "Like" us now!

http://facebook.com/philmusic.dotcom

Offline Indie_Boy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 08:48:38 PM »
i always believe in this guy's talent.. galing mag blues nito..

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006, 09:18:08 PM »
"you take your sweater
you take your time
you might have your reasons
but you will never have my rhyme
i'm gonna sing my way away from blue
i'm gonna find another you..."

Offline higad

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 11:15:09 AM »

I've only heard 2 of his songs in his Continuum album, namely 'Who Did You Think I Was' and 'Dreaming of a Broken Heart.'

wow! the song 'Who Did You Think I Was' is from the "TRY!" cd by the JOHN MAYER TRIO. it is not in the CONTINUUM cd. so, you're his biggest fan, huh?

yeppy..oo nga! kaya nagtataka din ako. lol
Pare1: Pare, bat naman hanggang ngayon wala ka pang syota? wala ka pa<br />bang napupusuan?<br />Pare2: Meron.. Manhid ka lang!<br /><br />heegad.multiply.com

Offline Kalabit

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2007, 12:19:47 AM »
Sarap nyang pakinggan! astig.. :-D

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2007, 01:26:34 PM »
John Mayer is one heck of a musician. his songwriting and arranging skills are top-notch. it took around 1 1/2 months of daily listening to Continuum before i started to get tired of it (alternating with Salindiwa's debut album) :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline Chichikat

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2007, 02:30:11 AM »
What I like about him his sincerity and his over flowing emotions when he sings specially when he plays live...Although back then he looks like a guy on the verge of a seizure when he plays...

"The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist."

Offline pmack

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 07:48:03 PM »
yeah, he must be the most honest american musician in the scene today. no pretensions. what you see is what you get...

idol...

Offline Indie_Boy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2007, 05:22:10 AM »
di ko pa to naririning  :cry:

Offline musikanitwist

• Veteran Member
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2007, 03:03:11 PM »
bold as love. sobrang nabigyan ng justice si pareng jimi(we love you man!).
There are some people that if they don't know, you can't tell them.
Louis Armstrong
 http://akibanda.multiply.com  MSG RJUR PATAK BY ABS COMBO to 2959

Offline pmack

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2007, 07:59:56 AM »
grammy winner si john mayer para sa best male vocal performance nung grammy awards last feb 11, 2007!!!!
woohoooo!

Offline polar

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2007, 04:27:46 PM »
This must be the best CD of 2006 so far. This has GOTTA BE the best CD of 2006.

Mukhang sulit ah. Makabili nga.
Ilang songs nd2 sa album?
"The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is.”  - C S L

Offline pmack

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2007, 06:58:01 PM »
This must be the best CD of 2006 so far. This has GOTTA BE the best CD of 2006.

Mukhang sulit ah. Makabili nga.
Ilang songs nd2 sa album?

the CD has 12 songs.
every single one of them worthy to be single.
walang patapon, ika-nga.

the last CD i had that i had the same sentiments for was TOOL's Lateralus.

Offline jorelpogi

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2007, 05:46:47 AM »
hanep

Offline changedmynametojimi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2007, 07:02:18 AM »
maganda talaga itong album na ito...although parang nabitin ako sa mga guitar solos niya.....

What I like about him his sincerity and his over flowing emotions when he sings specially when he plays live...Although back then he looks like a guy on the verge of a seizure when he plays...

meron sya talaga sakit nabasa ko sa wiki, kaya may gamot sya xanax anti anxiety

Offline soundslikebryan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2007, 07:26:56 AM »
Going back to the first post, why John reminds you of Dave is because he idolizes Dave Matthews. Most of his riffs going back to Room for Squares were patterned to Dave's style. If you notice, Dave used a lot of open string sound and broken chords. I've heard John when he was in his Berkeley days and he was all blues (non of that acoustic stuff he had done in his freshman album).

He went on a musical journey for years, until he formed the 'Trio'. Which to my limited palette was spectacular. I was fortunate enough to watch him live once and reruns of his concerts on TV (they run it almost every night if you have Direct TV on channel 101).

On an interview, he had said that he wanted to go back to his roots, way way back. I believe in this guy and that his music is sincere and honest.

I hope to hear more from him.

my favorite on this album is 'Dreaming with a Broken Heart', 'Vultures' and 'I Don't Trust Myself". I like the version of Gravity on the album "Try".
Bakit hindi ka pwedeng mapuyat sa umaga?

http://www.myspace.com/bryanjason  http://twitter.com/bryanjason

Offline nicosci

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2007, 02:04:57 AM »
Well actually hes got a huge passion for blues since he started playing the guitar. He heard Stevie Ray Vaughan's stuff when his neighbor gave him an SRV casette. That told him to play the guitar deeply in contrast to his earlier desires to actually play. He also said something about the movie "Back To The Future" where he saw a sort of nerdy Marty Mcfly turned into a guitar star. Maybe as a kid this pushed him closer to the guitar. So its safe to say he was on the blues path since he was 13 when he learned to play.  About the DMB thing; I have an old record from John where he plays a Dave Matthews song "Lover Lay Down" with his electric guitar only instrumental. It was really bluesy-sweet, expressive and very impressive. You can imagine SRV playing his slow stuff like "Riviera Paradise" and Hendrix's "The Wind Cries Mary". I saw old pics of him where he got lots of vintage stuff from vibro-kings to strats that he even got "JM" on the pickguard as SRV would have "SRV" letters in the pickguard. These were absolutely before the "Room For Squares" album. I also have a compliation of his old live songs and hes got lots of blues-rock stuff early on (before RFS). They were great and surprisingly hidden away. But yeah, hes got lots of old acoustic stuff which were influenced probably by DMB. But then again, he was a bluesman. Maybe its just a showbusiness thing that there is no way for us to find out why he was such a teeny-pop sensation before.  But I tell you; look back to Room For Squares, forget your first impressions and dont listen to "Your Baody is a Wonderland", listen to "City Love", "Neon", and "Back to You". Those were mature and heavy lyrically and musically. Actually that album is REAlly wonderful IF you looked at it right without prejudices. Actually I've read an interview with John where he said he didn't like "Your Body is a Wonderland" or he kinda regrets about it. :-D He admits hes frustrated about the cheering-girls-majority-fans. This tells me alot more "between the lines".

Hes evolved, improved and changed ever since. He'd always said that. Its no surprise that he'd changed a lot from the old John. But it is just a journey. Just move closer to your dreams. I think all musicians should.
Let USA invadeThe Philippines

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2007, 03:24:45 PM »
nicosci: nag-evolve nga, sabi mo nga he's "half the boy and twice the man" na diba? hehehe..

NOTE: "Room for Squares" sounded like a DMB record not because John Mayer idolizes Dave Matthews (but DM is an influence to JM's playing) but because John Alagia, the producer "Room for Squares" who has also produced albums for the Dave Matthews Band, wanted to market a solo artist who sounds like DMB. well, that's that, and the rest is history.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 07:11:03 AM by Poundcake »
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline nicosci

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2007, 06:10:28 PM »
nicosci: nag-evolve nga, sabi mo nga he's "half the boy and twice the man" na diba? hehehe..

NOTE: "Room for Squares" sounded like a DMB record not because John Mayer idolizes Dave Matthews (but DM is an influence to JM's playing) but because John Alagia, the producer "Room for Squares" who has also produced albums for the Dave Matthew Band, wanted to market a solo artist who sounds like DMB. well, that's that, and the rest is history.

Ah si John Alagia din pala producer ng DMB. I never thought of it that way. Thats why John's DMB association was mystery for me.  :-D
Let USA invadeThe Philippines