hulika

Author Topic: Feedback/Humming on my Stratocaster..  (Read 1672 times)

Offline mrskizm

Feedback/Humming on my Stratocaster..
« on: November 20, 2017, 02:49:48 PM »
I bought a Tagima Stratocaster SSS last month.. tested it on my Marshall MG30CFX with high gain on my Boss ME80 and it works totally fine with no feedback/humming.

Then one time we rented a music studio, and the amps are Laney 65watts, I tried both amps and they are both humming when pickup is in neck and bridge position.

I already tried setting the noise reduction on my multi-effects, but it's still humming.

What's the difference of my amplifier?

And if I install Artec Hotrails Pickups, will it totally cancel humming on other amplifiers?

I need advice your professional advice.   :cry: :cry: :cry:

Offline lolwat

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Feedback/Humming on my Stratocaster..
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 01:28:08 AM »
It's common knowledge among most strat/single coil pickup users that they are more susceptible to noise than humbuckers, due to their similarity to AM loop antennae. Some places may have more noise than others that your pickups can "hear."

There is no hum or buzz at the in-between positions (2 and 4) because having two pickups active helps cancel out the noise, similar to (but not exactly the same as) what a humbucker typically does.

From here, you have two possible solutions for this.

1. Have your guitar's internals shielded with foil tape, as described in this article: https://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/setups/how-to-shield-a-guitar
Pros:
* If you like the results, you may not need to change out your pickups
* Aluminum foil tape is available from a lot of hardware stores
* Little to no change in the sound of the guitar
Cons:
* won't get rid of all the noise
* might be a little difficult for inexperienced guitarists to do

2. Buy noise-cancelling single coils, or mini humbuckers that will fit the guitar.
Pros:
* almost no buzzing or humming will be heard, enough for high gain distortion with no noise
* You may like the change in sound...
Cons:
* ...or you may hate it. noiseless stratocaster pickups are known for not sounding single coil-y enough for most purists

A combination of these two methods will give you even more noise reduction. Good luck.

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 09:41:20 AM »
Or embrace the hum.. Jimi never complained about it lol.
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline mrskizm

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 12:41:26 PM »
opo sir. ang weird. sa amp ko marshall cfx30 hindi walang feedback... natry ko na kc sa ibang marshall ska laney..

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 02:56:47 PM »
Maybe yung electrical wiring and/or amp sa studio ang may prob.  :)

Offline mrskizm

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 09:36:26 AM »
di pa ako nakakabalik dun sa studio.. feeling ko may mali tlga sa mga amps dun. Anyway, naka-Hotrails na pickup nung strat ko so feeling ko hindi na sisipol yun hehehehhe
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 01:13:01 PM by mrskizm »

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 10:09:55 AM »
Or embrace the hum.. Jimi never complained about it lol.
EMBRACE THE HUM! :D
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline shodawmoon

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 11:15:27 AM »
It's common knowledge among most strat/single coil pickup users that they are more susceptible to noise than humbuckers, due to their similarity to AM loop antennae. Some places may have more noise than others that your pickups can "hear."

There is no hum or buzz at the in-between positions (2 and 4) because having two pickups active helps cancel out the noise, similar to (but not exactly the same as) what a humbucker typically does.

From here, you have two possible solutions for this.

1. Have your guitar's internals shielded with foil tape, as described in this article: https://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/setups/how-to-shield-a-guitar
Pros:
* If you like the results, you may not need to change out your pickups
* Aluminum foil tape is available from a lot of hardware stores
* Little to no change in the sound of the guitar
Cons:
* won't get rid of all the noise
* might be a little difficult for inexperienced guitarists to do

2. Buy noise-cancelling single coils, or mini humbuckers that will fit the guitar.
Pros:
* almost no buzzing or humming will be heard, enough for high gain distortion with no noise
* You may like the change in sound...
Cons:
* ...or you may hate it. noiseless stratocaster pickups are known for not sounding single coil-y enough for most purists

A combination of these two methods will give you even more noise reduction. Good luck.

+1 also, lighting of the place can affect your pickups especially if playing under fluorescent lights or near anything that creates a strong electromagnetic field.

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 10:57:13 PM »
Live with it, it's part and parcel of single coils. No way around it.
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline coy_2cute

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 09:48:21 PM »
EMBRACE THE HUM! :D

ALL HAIL! ALMIGHTY HUM!
Session Bassist here! Doing bass duties for Pulsera, •Rael• and The Very First Hey! Hire me! I'm Available!