hulika

Author Topic: Baby Oil For Rosewood Finger board?  (Read 6823 times)

Offline mhayce08

• Veteran Member
Baby Oil For Rosewood Finger board?
« on: December 25, 2011, 11:24:38 AM »
Baby Oil For Rosewood Finger board?

pwede po bang gamitin ang baby oil sa rosewood fingerboard

kung hindi ano po ang mairerecomenda nyo

tuyot na kasi fret board ko hehe

maraming salamat mga kapatid!

Maligayang pasko senyo! :D
Basta Metal Bakal™

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Baby Oil For Rosewood Finger board?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 11:39:14 AM »
Get yourself a small bottle of lemon oil from Lazer, if they're in stock.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline musicdigitalsounds

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 11:41:10 AM »
+1 D'andrea mura lang.
Philmusicus Addictus / Lester William Polsfuss

Offline mhayce08

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2011, 12:03:58 PM »
nice salamat! magkano kaya un mga ma'am/ sir? :D
Basta Metal Bakal™

Offline Gunslinger

• Tony Stark
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011, 12:08:51 PM »
D'Andrea.. IIRC, they're around P250. I use mineral oil on my rosewood fretboards, since lemon oil is acidic.
Play   Guitar   To  Express..   Not   To   Impress.

Offline sonikyut

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2011, 12:15:52 PM »
baby oil lang pwede na sa akin  :-D
It's heavy metal fatigue.                                                                                                      Postlude.

"Biruin mo na ang lasing maging ang bagong gising, wag lang sa βading na inagawan ng booking"... - George Harrison

Offline mhayce08

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 12:17:12 PM »
nice nice! salamat salamat! ma seset up ko na mamaya ang aking gitara merry x mas mga kapatid! :D
Basta Metal Bakal™

Offline gunlak

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 12:32:31 PM »
or you can buy an Ernie Ball Fretboard Conditioner, they sell it in JB in sachets, you can use it for a very long time just make sure na you store it properly.

It only costs 15 pesos.
CLICK TO see baกิิิิิิat boys FB page!!!also check out my other band Skylines Forget

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2011, 01:50:57 PM »

as long as you dont marinate the fretboard, its ok

Offline dennis22opina

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2011, 07:57:34 PM »
I use mineral oil. The one available in the drugstore. Hey, if its safe for me to drink, then it must be safe for my guitar.. :lol:

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2011, 10:45:21 PM »
D'Andrea.. IIRC, they're around P250. I use mineral oil on my rosewood fretboards, since lemon oil is acidic.
That's misleading.

Oil can't be acidic because... it's oil. Of course, oil can go rancid and break down in to fatty acids, but that's another story and doesn't even happen in neither mineral or essential oils. Lemon juice itself is acidic not because of the oil, but because of citric acid.

Lemon oil used for furniture (as well as guitar fretboards) isn't even pure lemon oil, but a mixture of different oils, most (if not all) of which are mineral based.

At the very least, even if a given lemon oil mixture contains a bit of acid, things should be fine provided that the instructions on the label are followed. I've been using this stuff for years and have never had any problems. And even if acidity is a significant problem with unfinished fretboards, the accumulated grime and sweat from our own fingers and palms could probably inflict greater damage.

If anybody wants to save a few bucks (if properly applied, that 250 peso bottle can last a person with 2-3 guitars at least a few years) and use mineral oil instead, that's cool. There are many ways to go about this and many different tools to be used. I currently have no way of telling which is the best. So, as I implied earlier, the most important thing is to read the instructions on your product's label!

(Ayun lang, wala yatang directions para sa pag-apply sa fretboard yung Johnson & Johnson, hehehe.)  :lol:
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 10:47:03 PM by Al_Librero »

Offline Jaco D

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2011, 12:29:30 AM »
Wouldn't baby oil attract more dirt?  I dunno, but from what I noticed from the commercially available fretboard products, they tend to dry "off" with drying "out" the fretboard.  Don't know if this is due to evaporation or it just seeps deep into the wood so as to disappear from the surface completely.  Not sure if baby oil has the same characteristics though.  I remember when we were kids and ermats would force us to put baby oil on our hair, those errant drops of baby oil that fell on the wooden floor wouldn't dry out and would just gunk-out (of course, your hair would be more gunked-out after playing under the sun, the soot and the dust).

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2011, 12:41:54 AM »
That only happens when u dont wipe off the excess.. U get gunk and nasty sticky stuff. You want to wipe it off so that it 'seems' you've dried it out,but actually you have a thin layer there. Right now I have no problems with old english lemon oil,but i've used other stuff before.
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline Gunslinger

• Tony Stark
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2011, 01:05:33 AM »
@ Al_Librero: Thanks for the info. Good thing I didn't bought the lemon oil for the furniture before. So I opted for the mineral oil. What's good about mineral oil is that it's okay to apply it on any wood. Unlike the lemon oil that is mostly used for rosewoods.

So if you guys have guitars with different fretboards, go for mineral oil. :-D

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2011, 02:36:26 AM »
@ Al_Librero: Thanks for the info. Good thing I didn't bought the lemon oil for the furniture before. So I opted for the mineral oil. What's good about mineral oil is that it's okay to apply it on any wood. Unlike the lemon oil that is mostly used for rosewoods.

So if you guys have guitars with different fretboards, go for mineral oil. :-D

You misunderstand. There's essentially nothing wrong with Lemon Oil used for furniture. For the most part, I've been using Formby's products for years -- on rosewood, ebony and now ziricote... it works fine just as well as, if not better than the mineral oil you're using -- because they're essentially made of the same basic component, plus a few extras.

Assuming there's any truth in the label of the Formby's or the Old English that siore is using, ours have the advantage of being more optimized as a wood conditioner than plain mineral oil. Even if that, in reality, is not the case at all, at the very least, it smells better.  :-D

The only thing less agreeable is the price. But let's put that into perspective. For an 8 ounce bottle of Formby's, I paid a little over 230 Pesos. First thing to notice is that it's still much cheaper than the small bottle Lazer is selling. More importantly, it's been five years since I bought that bottle. In that period,  I've had between 2-4 guitars at any given time which didn't have maple fretboards, each of which were cleaned once or twice a year. I've probably just used about an ounce. At this rate, this bottle will probably suffice for the rest of my life.

Offline blacktele

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2011, 08:05:32 AM »
Wouldn't baby oil attract more dirt?  I dunno, but from what I noticed from the commercially available fretboard products, they tend to dry "off" with drying "out" the fretboard.  Don't know if this is due to evaporation or it just seeps deep into the wood so as to disappear from the surface completely.  Not sure if baby oil has the same characteristics though.  I remember when we were kids and ermats would force us to put baby oil on our hair, those errant drops of baby oil that fell on the wooden floor wouldn't dry out and would just gunk-out (of course, your hair would be more gunked-out after playing under the sun, the soot and the dust).

Fast fret contains mineral oil which is also the main ingredient for baby oil.
GAS is proof that money has no value without velocity

Offline dennis22opina

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2011, 08:23:58 AM »

I got this bottle before at lazer. I used it for a while and noticed that my fretboard got very dry. I'm not really sure but I think the petroleum content did this. That's why I switched to natural mineral oil (also used as a laxative). The mineral oil didn't dry out my fretboard as much as the lemon oil from Lazer.

I haven't tried Formby's or the Old english though.. :-)

Offline guitarman8294

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2011, 08:29:46 AM »
or you can buy an Ernie Ball Fretboard Conditioner, they sell it in JB in sachets, you can use it for a very long time just make sure na you store it properly.

It only costs 15 pesos.

+10

Offline Gunslinger

• Tony Stark
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2011, 09:57:33 AM »
Lemon oil smells good eh? I'm gonna buy one bottle. :cute:

Offline extrimity

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2011, 12:17:49 PM »
ako rin kasi gumagamit ng baby oil for cleaning my guitar at pansin ko nga na kikintab ung guitar pero mabilis din makaattract ng dumi.
so masisira ba yung fret board sa baby oil like johnson's baby oil?

Offline sonikyut

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2011, 12:23:23 PM »
ako rin kasi gumagamit ng baby oil for cleaning my guitar at pansin ko nga na kikintab ung guitar pero mabilis din makaattract ng dumi.
so masisira ba yung fret board sa baby oil like johnson's baby oil?

hinde naman...takaw lang talaga sa alikabok
It's heavy metal fatigue.                                                                                                      Postlude.

"Biruin mo na ang lasing maging ang bagong gising, wag lang sa βading na inagawan ng booking"... - George Harrison

Offline jamesplaysguitar

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2011, 12:23:58 PM »
+1 for baby oil, sir ruel of Arcee guitars also recommend it to me if i dont have any lemon oil or fast frets.
References:Monsceb,mondemonle,jgaluno,omegared15,r_chino18,bhaahchico,drew asuncion,obetski,ger02,balakubak,pitongjerome,riccaliolio,kurtcobainer,benjiemusic,dreadhead,bananagrahamskyflakes,lespaul888,redjaztin,tsunamic,caraboyman,Shkc,Vanhatred and more

Offline rowley75

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2011, 12:31:58 PM »
i use baby oil too(not the light one). it's basically just mineral oil and ...fragrance.
Live by honor, Kill by stealth.