hulika

Author Topic: Crossover circuit or filter for compression drivers  (Read 2029 times)

Offline musik50

• Netizen Level
Crossover circuit or filter for compression drivers
« on: July 05, 2013, 09:41:12 AM »
Mga master baka pwede patulong o maka hingi ng design para sa compression driver crossover/filter....i tried na mag lagay lang ng capacitor pero parang di gaano maganda tumunog..thanks

Offline musik50

• Netizen Level
Re: Crossover circuit or filter for compression drivers
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 06:41:36 AM »
Wala pa din? Patulong naman sa mga masters jan.... :-(

Offline Rjaylo

• Netizen Level
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 03:37:59 PM »
sir specify mo kung ano brand ng compression driver mo,ano pang drive mo na amp, ano value ng cap na ginamit mo.pki detail mo rin kung paano yun gnawa mo set-up.

Offline skyjammer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 10:23:14 PM »
I have a friend who used the capacitor of a defective electric fan and it worked. It looked like this but I cannot remember the exact specs of the one that was used. It was 6 years ago and I didn't have PA background back then so I can barely recall the quality of the sound. All I can remember is that it worked longer than the typical, gold-colored capacitors we used. It might be worth a try, if not try at your own risk. :wave:

If you can spend a little more it might be better if you just purchase an active crossover. Although I assume you know this already. :)

Offline musik50

• Netizen Level
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 02:21:16 AM »
thank you sa reply mga master....

yung compression driver na gamit ko ay Crown - DU CS500 , ang nag drive sa compression driver ay crown xli 2500 coming from dbx driverack pa+ (I'm using tri-amp system).

kailangan pa ba mag lagay pa ng passive crossover circuit or filter capacitor bago comp driver?

i've tried na lagyan ng 47uf non-polar capacitor to make sure na di mapapasok ng low frequency yung compression driver unit para di masira..any suggestion please

Offline Jef2

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 11:21:54 AM »

if you're using a driverack pa+, you already have an active crossover.  no need for any capacitors.  just set the frequency cut-off at 2.5khz for the high out. you can go higher but not lower than 2.5khz.

you might as well use a lower wattage amp for the hf section. the xli2500 is rated at 500w at 8ohms /channel and this may toast your hf driver. try the xli1500.

Offline Rjaylo

• Netizen Level
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 10:47:29 PM »

if you're using a driverack pa+, you already have an active crossover.  no need for any capacitors.  just set the frequency cut-off at 2.5khz for the high out. you can go higher but not lower than 2.5khz.

you might as well use a lower wattage amp for the hf section. the xli2500 is rated at 500w at 8ohms /channel and this may toast your hf driver. try the xli1500.

+100 :-D

Offline ericpicar

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 05:48:35 PM »
Since you have the dbx Driverack, you are already fine. You might want to avoid any "insertion loss" that's part of using a passive network (ex. Peavey passive networks has 1dB insertion loss). Setting the crossover point can be a bit tricky. If the compression driver comes with "trusted" specs, you can use it as reference as to set the right crossover point. You also have to consider the next transducer, the midrange (3-way system). The midrange's frequency response also affects you crossover point. If you have no midrange, then you have to consider the low's natural upper frequency roll-off. That will be the basis for you high frequency crossover point. If the low's and high's natural roll-offs are overlapping, then you are lucky. It is easier. If they do not overlap, then you need to add a midrange to do the job ;)