hulika

Author Topic: Overrated and underrated pedals  (Read 34449 times)

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Overrated and underrated pedals
« Reply #150 on: November 09, 2009, 01:19:54 PM »
I don't know if there are many pedals that were designed to sound great with a lot of differently-voiced amps. Some pedals sound great with Fender BF or tweed amps, others pair well with Vox amps, still others run well with Marshalls, etc.

For me, it's a matter of matching up a trebly/bright pedal with a warm/muddy amp, or a warm pedal with a bright amp; as well as a scooped amp with a mid-humped pedal, etc. etc...

So... I would rather rate a pedal as suitable with my specific amp and guitar rather than using the terms "over-rated" and "under-rated."

I've only been talking about tone and sound. Build quality and QC is another matter...
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 01:26:07 PM by vegetablejoe »

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #151 on: November 09, 2009, 01:51:43 PM »
I don't know if there are many pedals that were designed to sound great with a lot of differently-voiced amps. Some pedals sound great with Fender BF or tweed amps, others pair well with Vox amps, still others run well with Marshalls, etc.

For me, it's a matter of matching up a trebly/bright pedal with a warm/muddy amp, or a warm pedal with a bright amp; as well as a scooped amp with a mid-humped pedal, etc. etc...

So... I would rather rate a pedal as suitable with my specific amp and guitar rather than using the terms "over-rated" and "under-rated."

I've only been talking about tone and sound. Build quality and QC is another matter...

this

(and rightly so, gigging with just a pedalboard and guitar and having a desired tone is a moving target)

Offline everpogi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #152 on: November 09, 2009, 02:32:13 PM »
LOOOL! :lol:

totoo naman sir diba.. nasa pagtapak yan.. siguro di lang talaga para sa lahat ng gitarista ang Behringer.. lightweight pa nga eh.. pero ang gaganda talaga ng modulations.. hay...
:)

Offline charles55

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #153 on: November 09, 2009, 03:22:55 PM »
Overrated: Boss DS1

Underrated: Boss OD3

Offline ninmei

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #154 on: November 09, 2009, 04:34:19 PM »
overrated: DS-1

underrated: Badmonkey (w/ tru-bypass looper)  :roll:

Offline dirt

• Veteran Member
« Reply #155 on: November 09, 2009, 09:28:53 PM »
agree ako sir charles55 and sir ninmei

i have an OD-3 and a badmonkey... di pa ako pinahiya sa live.

:mrgreen:
YEAH I WANNA PLAY GUITAR EVERYDAY!!

Offline turiguiliano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #156 on: November 09, 2009, 09:33:22 PM »
I'll start by giving one, the badmonkey IMO is so overrated from what I've heard from it and others opinions I think it's one hell of a tone sucker.

How 'bout you? Give out your opinions

I really liked that pedal. For me it's realyl underrated. What amp(s) did you use it with?
US Toll Free: 650.488.7901
Globe:0927.858.1635
Smart:0949.190.0200 Sun:0932.748.6705 Bogner Amplification - CMATMODS - F-BASS - Jet City Amplification - Lava Cables - Paul Cochrane Audio - Pedal Train - Weber Speakers - Wilson Effects - XOTIC Effects

Offline samishellacool

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #157 on: November 09, 2009, 09:47:39 PM »
I really liked that pedal. For me it's realyl underrated. What amp(s) did you use it with?

Tried it with a couple of fender, laney, and marshall amps. Not my cup of tea really...since i compared it with a boss OD-1 and OD-3 and preferred them more than the badmonkey. That's just me though, prolly haven't heard of the true potential of the bad mokey or other pedals that matches it better than what i've heard.  :|

Offline Gunslinger

• Tony Stark
« Reply #158 on: November 09, 2009, 10:17:31 PM »
Badmonkey is underrated?  :?
Play   Guitar   To  Express..   Not   To   Impress.

Offline turiguiliano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #159 on: November 09, 2009, 10:27:11 PM »

typo = *really

Tried it with a couple of fender, laney, and marshall amps. Not my cup of tea really...since i compared it with a boss OD-1 and OD-3 and preferred them more than the badmonkey. That's just me though, prolly haven't heard of the true potential of the bad mokey or other pedals that matches it better than what i've heard.  :|

Cool. It all boils down to preference.
Smart:0949.190.0200 Sun:0932.748.6705 Bogner Amplification - CMATMODS - F-BASS - Jet City Amplification - Lava Cables - Paul Cochrane Audio - Pedal Train - Weber Speakers - Wilson Effects - XOTIC Effects

Offline samishellacool

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #160 on: November 09, 2009, 10:31:47 PM »
typo = *really

What pedals do you match it with, or amp(s)? Cause I used it only as a booster and nothing else, dint like the sound of the pedal alone.

Offline bentoinks

• Veteran Member
« Reply #161 on: November 09, 2009, 10:35:48 PM »

sadly some people refuse to accept that fact
When World War III begins, get as many boss pedals as you can and build your fallout shelter out of them - you may not survive but they will :-D

Offline turiguiliano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #162 on: November 09, 2009, 11:14:00 PM »
What pedals do you match it with, or amp(s)? Cause I used it only as a booster and nothing else, dint like the sound of the pedal alone.

Fender 1972 or was it a 73? Bassman 50w head with a 4x12 Marshall (failed on a Yamaha 4x12)
Carvin Legacy head with a Legacy 2x12 and a 4x12 Marshall
JCM900 50w 1x12
Marshall 8040
Marshall 6100 LM (not mine)

Pedals - there were a lot. I swapped out and paired it with drives such as the Valveboy and the Emma RF1 (failed with it, too muddy).
As a stand alone, it worked well with the amps mentioned above.

Offline samishellacool

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #163 on: November 10, 2009, 09:23:00 AM »
Fender 1972 or was it a 73? Bassman 50w head with a 4x12 Marshall (failed on a Yamaha 4x12)
Carvin Legacy head with a Legacy 2x12 and a 4x12 Marshall
JCM900 50w 1x12
Marshall 8040
Marshall 6100 LM (not mine)

Pedals - there were a lot. I swapped out and paired it with drives such as the Valveboy and the Emma RF1 (failed with it, too muddy).
As a stand alone, it worked well with the amps mentioned above.

Ohh, so that's why. LOL! Could never get my hands on any of those amps.  :lol:

OT: What do you think of the Fulltone Fulldrive 2? If ever you've had one(or have). Just want to get others opinions on it.

Offline ninmei

• Philmusicus Addictus

Offline sonikyut

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #165 on: December 31, 2009, 11:09:18 PM »
Overrated - Botique pedals (wala kasi ako n2 e pero madami ang meron) hahahahaha
Underrated - BOSS MT-2 (akala nang karamihan pang metal lang..makukuha mo sa MT-2 ang tunog na pang jazzrock, blues, rock, grunge, punk, fusion (soaring leads) 80s gay metal, trash etc..and even pang soundtrack for phrasing and layering nang sound basta may volume pedal ka  :-D :-D :-D...opinion ko lang po...
It's heavy metal fatigue.                                                                                                      Postlude.

"Biruin mo na ang lasing maging ang bagong gising, wag lang sa βading na inagawan ng booking"... - George Harrison

Offline PEDALS101

• Netizen Level
« Reply #166 on: January 10, 2010, 09:24:01 AM »
hardwire pedals..under

overrated...hmmm wala ako maisip

Offline turiguiliano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #167 on: January 10, 2010, 09:53:44 AM »
Ohh, so that's why. LOL! Could never get my hands on any of those amps.  :lol:

OT: What do you think of the Fulltone Fulldrive 2? If ever you've had one(or have). Just want to get others opinions on it.

I had the 10th Anniversary edition. But at that time, I was using it on a Marshall 9040 solid state amp. It was OK at 18v. Haven't tried it on tube amps. Yet.  :-D

Offline morphine

• Veteran Member
« Reply #168 on: January 10, 2010, 09:55:24 AM »
underrated dod overdrive preamp 250

over r ehx memory man w/hazarai....

maybe its just me but  i think its to complicated....
just my opinion guys...peace

Offline rolexm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #169 on: January 10, 2010, 04:35:33 PM »
It depends how you see it.

I think Boss Pedals are GAH. Same with Digitech. Given people praise them.
I'd pick pinoy boutique over them.

I think MXR and EHX pedals are SAKTO for the price. Mass produced, true bypassed, and affordable. Underrated since people favor Boss and the like over them.

But then I realized that if you're an audiophile, might as well go for GOLD.

Offline rolexm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #170 on: January 10, 2010, 04:44:30 PM »
1) BOSS pedals (i agree with greenweenie) i dont get it! a lot of people complain about tonesuck, and some wisecrack even told me on ym to dispose of my boss pedals (wth, i wont mention his name but pm me if interested) but even mike einziger and dave navarro use

Ako ata ito. HAHAHA  :-D

Offline ninmei

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #171 on: January 10, 2010, 05:26:25 PM »
may bago akong nalaman.. ewan ko lang sa iba..

underrated: Artec, Dano Pedals..

true by-pass cant always be your bestfriend...

?? siguro.. hehe..

boils down to one's taste..

Offline rolexm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #172 on: January 10, 2010, 05:43:21 PM »
may bago akong nalaman.. ewan ko lang sa iba..

underrated: Artec, Dano Pedals..

true by-pass cant always be your bestfriend...

?? siguro.. hehe..

boils down to one's taste..

May point ka. Read on "buffers" though so see why a lot of people prefer true bypass.

Offline ninmei

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #173 on: January 10, 2010, 05:54:57 PM »
May point ka. Read on "buffers" though so see why a lot of people prefer true bypass.

some buffers are quite good.. some are not.. so lets choose our pedals wisely..

Offline cayle

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #174 on: January 10, 2010, 06:10:13 PM »
kung konti lang naman, say 3-5 TBP pedals, very very minimal lang yung tone suck nun. but if you're running long cables into dozens of TBP pedals, i'ts good to have a buffered pedal at the beginning and end of the board. I prefer a pedal with a good buffer, instead of a TBP pedal.  :-)