hulika

Author Topic: The better Journey drummer: Steve Smith OR Deen Castronovo  (Read 2331 times)

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
The better Journey drummer: Steve Smith OR Deen Castronovo
« on: March 14, 2008, 12:18:48 AM »
Let's not compare Steve Smith NOW and Deen Castronovo NOW. 

Let's compare Steve and Deen and their performances with Journey.  Who do you think is better?

Personally, I commend Steve for pioneering the big arena drum sound that helped form that Journey heritage sound.  But as for the rock drumming attitude, I seem to prefer Deen.  He has a great voice too!

And what I like about Deen is how precise and focused his fills are.  Steve Vai hired him several times in the studio so what do you expect? 

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
Re: The better Journey drummer: Steve Smith OR Deen Castronovo
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 02:40:13 AM »
For me, Steve Smith is still THE drummer of Journey.  I would still love to see and hear him play with that supergroup.  I've seen their old Live in Houston concert video (I think that was 1981 or 1983).  Steve's performance there was stellar, and he did an amazing drum solo on his old double-bass Sonor kit.  I highly recommend that you check out that video.  I also recommend that you listen to their 1996 reunion album Trial By Fire.  Steve's drumming was exceptional in that album, and his kit was well-recorded; his drums and cymbals sound great.

But Deen Castronovo is no slouch.  He's also a very good drummer, and I think he does a great job with Journey.  In fact, I read his short interview and update from a Modern Drummer issue.  I love the fact that Deen's very humble and he pays great respect to Steve Smith and his past works with Journey, to the point where Deen decided not to change or alter Steve's drum parts.  It's because Deen thought Steve's drum parts were already perfect for the songs.  In fact, he admitted that up to this day he still gets in trouble with some of Steve's drum parts.  For me, that's a lot of class & humility.

I hope Journey can make it here in our country someday, especially right now because their new singer is our very own kababayan Arnel Pineda.  :-)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 03:18:15 AM by drumster »

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 02:01:49 PM »

I hope Journey can make it here in our country someday, especially right now because their new singer is our very own kababayan Arnel Pineda.  :-)

If Journey made it to Chile

I see no reason why they cannot make it here.

(Does our post look like the Philippine flag now?) :D
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 02:03:12 PM by skunkyfunk »

Offline toybitz

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 02:17:28 AM »
I'm big fan of both drummers...

Its hard which, I'm sweating...

I guess if we are talking of Journey, it has to be Stevie..but Deen has captured the presence of Steve via his cover of Steve's licks, feels and groove.  scary...
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?