hulika

Author Topic: Guitarists' view on Emo music  (Read 70692 times)

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
Guitarists' view on Emo music
« on: February 13, 2007, 02:18:43 PM »
I honestly think emo is not that lame as compared to what the older folks say.  And in all honesty, I've liked the guitar tone of emo.  It sounds edgy, near compressed metal tone.  Big drum sounds also make me like the genre.  Emo is a great genre of music, save for the hairdos and make-up.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 12:00:12 AM by skunkyfunk »

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Guitarists' view on Emo music
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 03:25:43 PM »
... fun music.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline trem3

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 03:37:12 PM »
a genre, some Emo bands are good, some are not that good.
Click Here

Offline Bart

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 03:40:24 PM »
No doubt that a lot of them are good musicians who know their gear and tone. What I don't like about the music are the vocals. Can't stand the whining.

Offline Sugar Ray Vaughan

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 03:40:45 PM »
very repetitive

all emo bands sound identical, guitar-wise

in short - ho-humm boring
スキャンダル ★ 小野春菜

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 04:14:10 PM »
very repetitive

I don't like emo but I beg to disagree. On a basic level, the same argument can be used against blues players, but no says they sound just the same. Qualify, please.
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 04:20:25 PM »
No doubt that a lot of them are good musicians who know their gear and tone. What I don't like about the music are the vocals. Can't stand the whining.

Same thing.
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline vaisteen2003

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 04:45:49 PM »
emo is good come to think of it. Maybe its best to appreciate it in a different angle, lets say LYRICS. Im an 80s type of guy and shred and prog and all that other stuff. My bandmates have been playing URBANDUBs CD on the car and everytime they do that i always ask them to shut the hell up, but for some reason when i went to a record bar, i bought their CD and listened to it, an i was blown away by how the songs were "CLEVERLY" constructed. And another this is the vocal harmony, man they sing like a church choir man.

my 2c
GAS Free 2007
"As long as it matters, as long as you're here with me now"

Offline i_banez

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 07:26:15 PM »
may maayos na emo bands, meron hindi... minsan din depende sa song... ayaw ko ung song na ang ganda ganda ng tunog ng instruments tapos sisirain ng vocals... minsan nga parang hindi na kumakanta yung vocalist puro sigaw lang...

Offline kurtcobainer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 07:28:34 PM »
ayoko lng sa emo minsan eh puros porma nlng and the voice!!! THE VOICEEEEEEEE!!! parang ipis na natapakan...i guess it only goes to show na hindi ko talaga gusto ang emo,screamo or whatever that is...pero i respect the genre...music padin naman yun...but you won't catch me listening to it. :-D

Peace tayo mga emo lovers

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 07:31:56 PM »
its... uh... whiny.

pero, if i were to listen to just the guitars and maybe the rest of the band, its rock to me.

Offline blue_raven

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 07:33:22 PM »
there have been a lot of bands with "whiney" vocals since the 70's, and what actually pissess me off is that while my vocalist was listening to led zep, his emo cousin cam and shouted "uy! nakikinig ka pala ng emo!"

what i don't like about the genre is the attitude of some of the bands and of most of the listeners.

Offline greasykid

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 07:37:33 PM »
Way too gay!   

:-D

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 07:51:02 PM »
Way too gay!   

bwahahaha! champion sapul! pero mga drummers ng emo bands mabibilis pumalo
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 07:57:25 PM by bugoy »

Offline blue_raven

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2007, 07:59:39 PM »
Way too gay!   

bwahahaha! champion sapul! pero mga drummers ng emo bands mabibilis pumalo

wahahahaha!!!  :evil:

Offline iquittheband

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2007, 08:19:58 PM »
hasty generalizations.. maybe most of you haven't listened to some of the better emo bands.

Offline paengkee

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2007, 08:28:20 PM »
most... if not all of you. have the WRONG idea of emo.

whiny vocals? thats not emo. its all mainstream poop. i mean pop.

seriously.

http://youdontknowemo.tk

now a lot of people rip on the genre because they say its over commercialized, gay and whatnot. theyre busting out on the wrong genre because bands like fall out boy, dashboard etc... are NOT emo.

before all of you start your generalizations, i suggest you listen to this one band.

http://purevolume.com/circletakesthesquare

the emo scene died in 1998. period.

just remember. whiny vocals and songs about yout girlfriend's loose vagina is not equal to emo.

Offline enzopogi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2007, 08:37:00 PM »
para sa 'kin. emo, as a whole, I don't like it dahil siguro sa vocals. pero as far as the instruments go, the drums are the best. grunge pa rin pinakamagandang genre para sa 'kin

Offline paengkee

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2007, 08:51:07 PM »
and yes, im a guitarist. i mostly listen to 70s rock bands. but. i play in an emo band (not the whiny piece of crap i hate the world and my girlfriend type of [gooey brown stuff])

am i being an elitist yet? i dont care.

Sugar Ray Vaughan: boring? listen to this: http://purevolume.com/circletakesthesquare

Bart: whining? early 90s emo actually has little or no singing. http://www.purevolume.com/hotcross

Vaisteen: urbandub is not emo. but the band i mentioned in my reply to Sugar ray vaughan (Circle takes the square) has really abstract lyrics:

Circle Takes the Square - Kill the Switch
http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/Kill-The-Switch-lyrics-Circle-Takes-The-Square/1C5441DEDC6E52DF48256DDD0011D479

longest lyrics by an emo band IMO

i_banez: if im mad... or frustrated. i dont sing. i go scream on my pillow. you know. when youre pissed. you go all "GRRRRRRrrr" and stuff. yeah. i dont go singing "Whoooaaa im so maaaddd!" thats screamo in a nutshell.... (a misnomer since todays "screamo" was actually the "emo" during the early 90s.

kurtcobainer:  emo isnt whiney. not the MTV emo. real emo band vocallists actually just talk. or talk really loud (scream)

Nathan: Its not whiny. never was. never will be

blue_raven: i get that same comment too whenever i sing (yea yea.) the intro to black dog... it sucks really.

"what i don't like about the genre is the attitude of some of the bands and of most of the listeners".

i hope you guys dont brand me as an elitist. thats the problem with people. pag may alam ka, mayabang ka or elitist ka. pag wala kang alam. poser ka. people need to eschew that sense of thinking to improve their scene. whatever genre it may be. people learn. and people only learn when they accept that they arent right all the time.

greasykid: yeah. emo kids....  to those emo kids.... YOU CAN NOT BE A GENRE. i mean. if i listen to blues. i cant be a BLUES KID. or if i listen to CLASSIC ROCK KID. i tell you guys, "emo cool" is way too commercialized. these artists on mtv ride on the idea of selling EMOTION. you dont [strawberry] sell emotion. in fact. 90s emo bands are often dead broke.

*puts flame retardant suit on*

Offline gutz_3110

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2007, 09:09:31 PM »
ok lang emo...kanya kanya trip yan. pero tanong lang, bakit palagin sawi sa pg ibig sila? parang love song na pa cool? hehehe tanong lang po yan ha!  :mrgreen:

Offline MikEh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2007, 09:11:43 PM »
as a guitarist, nakaka aliw pakinggan yung guitar parts. yun nagugustuhan ko sa IBANG emo bands. marunong talaga humawak at tumugtog ng gitara.

wag na kayo mangflame, umiinit na nga panahon, paiinitin niyo pa lalo. mag basaan nalang tayo gamit ng hose, para presko.

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2007, 09:14:12 PM »
saka yung hair nila hehehe... bakit ganun ?  pare pareho, kahit dun sa isang example na binigay ni paengkee pinuntahan ko yung soundclip, may picture, he says its different di ko na pinakinggan nung nakita kong ganun din yung porma at yung buhok  :mrgreen:  pero ok talaga yung mga EMO band drummer, galing sa mga upbeat songs, yun lang hehehe
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 09:15:45 PM by bugoy »

Offline marzi

• Ang Na Ang Na!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2007, 09:48:16 PM »
good music and bad lyrics....yung style na kasama nun(hairdo, clothing, etc) e para lang magmukang eye candy lalo na pag nasa music video...pero kung pakikinggan nyo mabuti yung tugtugan, malinis din kagaya ng ibang genre, minsan nga mas maganda pa lapat....

yung hale pala emo din hahahaaaa! ok, so exception sila...they suck all the way!

I turned myself into a monster to fight against the monsters of the world.

Earth Crisis - Nemesis

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2007, 10:23:20 PM »
very repetitive

some people would argue the same for the heavy metal stuff...there gets a point where all the growling sounds the same. Heck, I could be growling my gorcery list and people would still say,"Damn, that riff, that growling, thats soo metal!"

"Ketchup...grrrooooooowww.....Mang Tomas sauce...grrrr.....onions.......ooooo.....tomatoooooooooooooooes." Chuga chuga chuga.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2007, 10:34:20 PM »
very repetitive

some people would argue the same for the heavy metal stuff...there gets a point where all the growling sounds the same. Heck, I could be growling my gorcery list and people would still say,"Damn, that riff, that growling, thats soo metal!"

"Ketchup...grrrooooooowww.....Mang Tomas sauce...grrrr.....onions.......ooooo.....tomatoooooooooooooooes." Chuga chuga chuga.

Lol!  :-D