hulika

Author Topic: Best acoustic-electric for P10k  (Read 10095 times)

Offline skipper

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Best acoustic-electric for P10k
« on: March 09, 2006, 02:50:41 PM »
I'm setting aside P10-12k for a new acoustic electric guitar.  I've done some window shopping and come up with the following options:
Applause
Washburn
Sigma

Which one do you think I should buy?  Can you suggest other brands that are available locally and within the budget?

Thanks!

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 03:44:48 PM »
i've seen and touched a few of those Sigma acoustics in JB... i'm not too confident that they're worth the price tag. those are expensive  Indonesian-made production guitars, that's for sure.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline Machine_Head

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 03:52:00 PM »
Check out this product from Yupangco. I think its a pretty good deal. Havent it tried it out yet though.

Offline Red_Strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 04:25:11 PM »
Tingin ka sa avatar ko.  :lol:  
Machine_Head's link should really help.

Offline skipper

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 04:41:58 PM »
Red_Strat : anong brand yan? abot ba yan sa budget ko?  :D

Machine_Head:  oo yan yung tinitignan kong Washburn.  May 1 review sa Harmony Central ok naman.

Al_Librero:  Magaganda ang reviews ng Sigma sa web kaya sinama ko siya sa options.

Yung Applause China gawa, sa JB ko din nakikita.  Meron bang nakagamit na nito dito?

Thanks!

Offline j3ff

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 05:23:18 PM »
anong kasama dun sa OG2CE package?

Offline Red_Strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 06:08:15 PM »
It's an Oscar Schmidt OG2CE. It's sold as a package, so it comes with picks, strap, tuner, AMP!, & gig bag.  :wink:
When you see the finish up close, it doesn't look like a entry-level guitar.

Definitely, pasok sa budget mo. Machine_Head's link has the price...that, is, about 9k. That gives you room for a hardcase. Then some leftover money for setup at a luthier. What else can you ask for?

Offline skipper

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2006, 07:19:11 PM »
Red_Strat:

Looks like a winner...How does it sound?  And how's the amp?

Offline Red_Strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2006, 08:20:23 PM »
Hmm...let me see...
Since I started out with a Don Jon, this guitar sounds reaally good to me. Balanced highs & lows. Its bass isn't the deepest, but punchy. Some guitars don't sound good when strummed lightly, but the OG2CE sounds good anyway. I like the sustain a lot - "Saktong-sakto". Like I said, it's balanced...but it leans a bit more on the brighter side, due to the spruce top. You don't want this guitar if you're looking for a really warm sound.

As for the amp, it's sounds okay. It'll take some tweaking on the amp (& guitar's preamp) to get the sound you want. I haven't exactly hit the exact spot yet. To make it short, it'll give you decent sound, but it won't bring out your guitar's true amplified sound unlike...a Fender Acoustasonic. (the guitar sounds great through the Fender though  :lol: )
The amp can also lean back...so it's easier to control. Feeling monitor talaga.

Offline Red_Strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2006, 08:34:06 PM »
I just remembered, if you want to hear a guitar that sounds so close to the OG2CE...listen to Kung Wala Ka by Hale.  :wink:

Offline Kulas

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2006, 09:05:42 PM »
Red_Strat, eto nanaman tayo, hehe.

anyway, eto, most of the guitars at that price range, magkakatunog, promise. hehe.

ako ok sakin yung sigma, coz i've always wanted a martin, well a sigma might take me closer to martindom, hehehe. kasi it's a licensed martin copy, hehe. pero ang matinong sigma palang na nakita ko eh yung DM-1ST, that's the only solid topped sigma for sale here, pero wala shang pickup.

the oka schmidt, shadow (tama ba?) yung electronics nya. that's the same electronics they use with epiphone acoustic/electrics. so if you want a quick solution na maayos, go for this. it's not that expensive pa.

ibanez naman uses their own pickup/preamp. pero yung mas mid-end nila gamit fishman. so it's a step closer to medyo higher end guitars like taylor who also uses fishman pickups. so kung kaya mo pa magdagdag ng around 2k more, go ibanez. ganda pa ng craftsmanship.

ngayon, you also have the lower end acoustic/electrics like rockstar, fernando. both guitars use the same pickup/preamp (may built in tuner ah, hehe) and i've heard some naman, they sound nice. konting timplahan lang sa eq, which is built in dun sa guitars na yun, hehe. so kung 10k budget mo, makakabili ka ng 4-5k na rockstar or fernando, tapos pwede ka pa bumili ng amp, hehe.

applause, no offense to the applause/ovation users. i've had an applause before and 3 ovations. ok naman sha in terms of tibay. and the amplified sound naman is maayos, medyo matigas nga lang tunog nya, parang feeling ko kulang sa resonance ng wood. so with an applause/ovation, you might need to use effects with that, para mapalambot ng konte yung tunog.

pero as for more bang for the buck, i think oks yung oscar schmidt package. kasi kasama na lahat eh, hehe. may guitar, amp, strap and picks ka pa. sa sukli mo pwede mo pa libre yung friend mo na sasama sa pagbili mo, hehe.

pero maganda, kuha ka ng solid topped acoustic guitar lang, tapos gawin mong project guitar. buy a nice pickup for it along with a preamp onboard or outboard. yun, swabe tunog nun, hehe. or go for the ibanez artwoods if you have the extra money. i think they sell for around 15-20k. yun solid top na with fishman/ibanez electronics.

goodluck in finding your guitar!

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2006, 09:15:40 PM »
i did a little plucking with this Sigma that's worth 15k. it felt pretty solid (not to be confused with "solid-top") and was fairly loud. very nice. on the other hand, i got that same feeling with a Yamaha F310 that's worth under 10k.

anyway, i'm not saying that they're bad or anything. but you'll have to make sure for yourself that the added cost of a Sigma is well worth it.

it's really difficult for me to test acoustic guitars inside a guitar store. they sound better in stores, beside all those other guitars helping the sound from your test guitar resonate better.

Offline Red_Strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2006, 09:20:46 PM »
:lol: For I moment I had been thinking that kulas wouldn't take notice of this thread. I was wrong...basta may "acoustic", kulas would be there.

skipper, I'd also reccomend the Ibanez AEG10E. Problem is, 15k yun. No extras. But I noticed two things it has over the OG2CE: easier to play na body (thinner & smaller), & more defined bass.

But it's not that easy to find a red guitar in this range.  :mrgreen:

The Sigma TB-1 is the only model that really caught my eye. Looks like an Ibanez AEG or a Yamaha APX/CPX. I like...

Offline af_villaruel

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2006, 05:41:58 AM »

Offline skipper

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2006, 09:19:11 AM »
:D I knew I'll get expert advice here.  Thanks for the info guys!  I'll probably drop by a Yamaha/Yupangco outlet to look at the OG2CE.  

Red_Strat : anong warranty para sa OG2CE?

af_villaruel:  I'll just post on the other thread for inquiries on your guitar.

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2006, 09:58:34 AM »
6 months yung warranty, i think. at least yun yung natatandaan kung time na hinintay ko bago ko pina-set up yung OG2N ko sa luthier.

Offline Red_Strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2006, 05:51:55 PM »
I'm not sure if it's 6 months or 1 year... :?

Offline j3ff

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2006, 11:21:35 PM »
yung OG2 ba puwede rin lagyan ng pickups if needed?

Offline Kulas

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2006, 11:31:16 PM »
yup, lahat naman ng acoustic pwede lagyan ng pickups eh. so walang problema dun. you can buy the usual under-saddle transducer pickups at audiophile, allparts yung brand. preamp nalang kailangan mo, hehe.

Offline progressive_pilipinas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2006, 01:55:50 PM »
ok.. an ibanez acoustic,, see them in audiophile.. and a few months ago i saw a yamaha acousitc 7,000php.  plain lang steel string, no pick ups. pero yung ibanez it ranges from 15,000php - 16,000php.. ok din naman ang nakainstall na pre amp, may tuner na rin, active... :roll: not really sure about the stats..
The fretboard is a vast universe.

Offline j3ff

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2006, 02:22:17 PM »
ano naman kaya best buy na acoustic guitar for 6k and below?

Offline progressive_pilipinas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2006, 02:48:50 PM »
ano naman kaya best buy na acoustic guitar for 6k and below?

fernando.. na may 4 way equalizer.. ayusin mo nalang yung bridge niya, mataas kasi.  :roll: active pickup at may slot for an XLR.
The fretboard is a vast universe.

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2006, 03:26:51 PM »
Washburn OG2N, kahit walang piezo system.

Offline j3ff

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2006, 04:34:21 PM »
yung OG2N ba kapareho din nung OG2 folk guitar na available sa yamaha for 5.8k?

Offline col_rukie

ei
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2006, 05:44:09 PM »
e2 pare maganda sobrang lupet punta ka sa audiophile sa alimall then look for the AW series guitar na may vine inlays ang ganda ng tunog and the make is very good. its by ibanez nga pala ung sigma na try ko na hindi maganda ungapplause nmn lacks tone ovation pa rin ang mas maganda.. oo nga pala im selling one... tapos ung washburn ok na rin
Lets talk music!!! www.musicandthewalk.com