hulika

Author Topic: Setting up your PC for Recording  (Read 296858 times)

Offline secretavenger234

Re: Setting up your PC for Recording
« Reply #1250 on: November 19, 2013, 08:34:56 AM »
Hi guys! I've been searching on what specs of desktop is the most reliable for music recording. But all the websites are saying is go for a Mac Pro which costs around 100k+++. Can you suggest specs for a desktop computer that can suffice a great deal for recording? Do's and donts...

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #1251 on: November 19, 2013, 08:54:55 AM »
I'd suggest backreading this thread, but some data may already be dated. First things first, what's your budget? What software do you intend to use? And what audio interface do you have or will use? Those are the 3 most important questions you have to answer before you can continue on this journey.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline secretavenger234

« Reply #1252 on: November 20, 2013, 08:43:27 AM »
I'd suggest backreading this thread, but some data may already be dated. First things first, what's your budget? What software do you intend to use? And what audio interface do you have or will use? Those are the 3 most important questions you have to answer before you can continue on this journey.

From 30-40K I guess. I'm planning to buy a Focusrite Firewire interface, Protools 11 or probably sonar DAW....

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #1253 on: November 21, 2013, 10:18:07 AM »
From 30-40K I guess. I'm planning to buy a Focusrite Firewire interface, Protools 11 or probably sonar DAW....

That's a good start. One thing I've been noticing... when you get an interface, make sure it has drivers for the O/S you intend to use. You might get the Saffire, but does it have Win7 drivers? 64-bit and/or 32-bit? What about the firewire interface? You might have to find a particular FW chipset for that. Another thing is motherboards. Do they support your interface without issues? I suggest getting a branded mobo, but getting one with onboard firewire might be expensive, that is if you can find one. Most are jumping on the USB 3 bandwagon - alternative is Thunderbolt, but that's a whole new can of worms. If you go Protools, you usually get the Avid USB interfaces, which at best are USB 2.0, 1.1 for the stereo/2 channel models. It's rare to find firewire interfaces nowadays.

As for O/S, either Vista or Win 7. Win 8 is too new and untested for audio in general, but some have them working just fine - not sure about PT though. You might also want to get those new Haswell procies, but the IvyBridge/Sandy Bridge i-series is fine, too! What I would do, assuming you have the interface already, is get the O/S then look for motherboards and FW interfaces that support it properly. Like I said earlier, go for established brands like Asus, Gigabyte and maybe even Intel or MSI (I've had luck with MSI so I can say its rather safe - stay away from tier-3 mobos, bios support is horrible). No need to get the most expensive mobo; something mid-priced yet has no issues with your interface is what you're after. Lurk in the forums of like interface users to find out what they use.

Then there's ram... 4GB is the absolute minimum for 64-bit Win7. Get good, fast ram - no generics. And get a good branded power supply! You will realize how important power is in keeping your system stable - generics just don't cut it.

I know all these sound expensive, and they are. But you will realize stability is very important over time. Btw, a powerful video card is not recommended when making a stable DAW. Get something in the middle... trust me.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline secretavenger234

« Reply #1254 on: November 22, 2013, 01:15:01 PM »
That's a good start. One thing I've been noticing... when you get an interface, make sure it has drivers for the O/S you intend to use. You might get the Saffire, but does it have Win7 drivers? 64-bit and/or 32-bit? What about the firewire interface? You might have to find a particular FW chipset for that. Another thing is motherboards. Do they support your interface without issues? I suggest getting a branded mobo, but getting one with onboard firewire might be expensive, that is if you can find one. Most are jumping on the USB 3 bandwagon - alternative is Thunderbolt, but that's a whole new can of worms. If you go Protools, you usually get the Avid USB interfaces, which at best are USB 2.0, 1.1 for the stereo/2 channel models. It's rare to find firewire interfaces nowadays.

As for O/S, either Vista or Win 7. Win 8 is too new and untested for audio in general, but some have them working just fine - not sure about PT though. You might also want to get those new Haswell procies, but the IvyBridge/Sandy Bridge i-series is fine, too! What I would do, assuming you have the interface already, is get the O/S then look for motherboards and FW interfaces that support it properly. Like I said earlier, go for established brands like Asus, Gigabyte and maybe even Intel or MSI (I've had luck with MSI so I can say its rather safe - stay away from tier-3 mobos, bios support is horrible). No need to get the most expensive mobo; something mid-priced yet has no issues with your interface is what you're after. Lurk in the forums of like interface users to find out what they use.

Then there's ram... 4GB is the absolute minimum for 64-bit Win7. Get good, fast ram - no generics. And get a good branded power supply! You will realize how important power is in keeping your system stable - generics just don't cut it.

I know all these sound expensive, and they are. But you will realize stability is very important over time. Btw, a powerful video card is not recommended when making a stable DAW. Get something in the middle... trust me.

Ohh... Can you recommend some MSI Laptops that are guaranteed to have no issues with interfaces? IF you were in my shoes, what laptop and interface are you gonna buy?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #1255 on: November 22, 2013, 05:24:35 PM »
Not an easy question to answer. MSI laptops are not really the best for audio; desktops are far easier to configure. Start with the interface and DAW software first then work from there.

Offline secretavenger234

« Reply #1256 on: November 25, 2013, 09:51:10 AM »
Not an easy question to answer. MSI laptops are not really the best for audio; desktops are far easier to configure. Start with the interface and DAW software first then work from there.

Here's my choice..

Dell Inspiron 660 Slim Corei5

TECH SPECS

Display         :   DELL™ IN2030M 20-inch HD Monitor with LED
Processor         :   3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i5-3330s processor (up to 3.20 GHz)
Operating System   :   Windows 8, English
Memory         :   4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 1600MHz-1X4GB
Hard Drive         :   3.5" 1TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
Graphics         :   Nvidia GeForce GT 620, 1GB, DDR3 (M117, DVI+HDMI+VGA)
Optical Drive      :   DVD+/-RW
Wireless         :   Dell Wireless 1506 (802.11 b/g/n) WLAN half mini-Card
Audio         :   Integrated 5.1 high definition audio
Keyboard         :   Dell™ KB113 USB Wired Entry Keyboard (ENG)
Mouse         :   Dell MS111 USB Optical Mouse
Chipset         :   Intel® B75 Express Chipset
Wired         :   Integrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet
Media Card Reader   :   8-in-1  Media Card Reader
Ports   
Back   :   
      (2) USB 3.0, (4) USB 2.0, HDMI, VGA, RJ-45 (10/100/1000 Ethernet),
      3-stack audio jacks supporting 5.1 surround sound

What do you think? Any recommendations?

I have some 2nd hand Macbook options such as these:

http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/view+classifieds/id/30589101/Apple+Macbook+Pro+13in+Intel+Core+i7+8GB+750HDD+Apple+Care?referralKeywords=Macbook&event=Search+Ranking,Position,1-13,13#advertisementDetails

and

http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/view+classifieds/id/30602051/Macbook+Pro+13+2.3+GHz+Core+i5%2C+8GB+Ram+%28Early+2011%29?referralKeywords=Macbook&event=Search+Ranking,Position,1-1,1#advertisementDetails
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 10:16:11 AM by secretavenger234 »

Offline coy_2cute

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1257 on: November 25, 2013, 12:32:28 PM »
Operating System   :   Windows 8, English

Use Windows 7 if you want a stable Operating System for your DAW software

Memory         :   4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 1600MHz-1X4GB

Go for 8GB RAM or more

Chipset         :   Intel® B75 Express Chipset

B75 Chipset can only support memory speed of up to 1333 MHz. Look for Motherboard with Z77 Chipset instead. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/311613-30-comparison-chipsets#.
Session Bassist here! Doing bass duties for Pulsera, •Rael• and The Very First Hey! Hire me! I'm Available!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #1258 on: November 25, 2013, 01:55:21 PM »
I have some 2nd hand Macbook options such as these:

The Dell generally looks ok. Remember that the Macbook and OSX limits your DAW software choices to Garageband, Logic or Pro Tools.

Offline secretavenger234

« Reply #1259 on: November 25, 2013, 02:25:19 PM »
The Dell generally looks ok. Remember that the Macbook and OSX limits your DAW software choices to Garageband, Logic or Pro Tools.

If I'd ever buy Pro tools then Macbook would be perfect is it? Will it already suffice my DIY home recording station?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #1260 on: November 26, 2013, 10:08:47 AM »
If I'd ever buy Pro tools then Macbook would be perfect is it? Will it already suffice my DIY home recording station?

Again, in general, yes. Just make sure you get the PT/Avid set that comes with an interface.

Offline skin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1261 on: November 26, 2013, 10:21:24 AM »

Puede Reaper!  It's free!  Hehe.

Offline jamming_papu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1262 on: November 27, 2013, 01:32:56 AM »

Ableton Live 9 pwede na rin for Mac OS X 10.5 or later :)
“Man, you don't have to play a whole lot of notes. You just have to play the pretty ones.”
- Miles Davis
 http://soundcloud.com/jammingpapu

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #1263 on: November 29, 2013, 03:29:02 PM »
Ableton Live 9 pwede na rin for Mac OS X 10.5 or later :)
Yeah... Forgot about that. Reaper din ata OSX compatible.

Offline anterograde

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #1264 on: December 04, 2013, 01:03:31 PM »
Sir patulong lang sana kasi pag nag rerecord ako using my POD HD300 may mga times na tumatalon yung audio,
Ganun din pag pinakinggan ko na yung recorded sound.
Nag try na ako ng ibat ibang DAW (reaper,audacity,ableton) pero pare pareho lang ng results.
Installed na din ang asio4 all drivers, sinunod ko na din yung mga troubleshooting guides ng mga DAW softwares na ginamit ko pero ganun pa rin ang results.
Saan po kaya ang problem? sa laptop ko ba? Intel Core I3, 2gb memory, windows7

Thanks

Offline skin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1265 on: December 04, 2013, 04:19:26 PM »
Sir patulong lang sana kasi pag nag rerecord ako using my POD HD300 may mga times na tumatalon yung audio,
Nag try na ako ng ibat ibang DAW (reaper,audacity,ableton) pero pare pareho lang ng results.
Installed na din ang asio4 all drivers, sinunod ko na din yung mga troubleshooting guides ng mga DAW softwares na ginamit ko pero ganun pa rin ang results.

Thanks

Are you using a laptop?  Try recording with your laptop's internal mic using the asio4all drivers.  Kung dun pa rin ang issue, laptop na yan.  Probably hdd speed?   Pero dapat kaya yan. 

When you record, maraming tracks na ba naka playback and all plugins running?

Offline jowash

« Reply #1266 on: December 05, 2013, 07:45:22 AM »

Thanks

Try to look into upgrading ur Ram its way too low for ur OS
2GB is fine if ur just just trying to record a few audio track  but if u are looking into using plug inns
 u need at least a minimum of 4GB RAM u can also try to adjust ur audio latency settings
in ur Asio driver and lower ur GUI settings

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1267 on: December 05, 2013, 10:01:00 AM »
For what it's worth, I've found Win 8.1 to be plenty stable. Drivers and compatibility are the real issues, but I'm sure these will be fully resolved in time (except maybe for legacy devices, which undoubtedly include some beloved DAW components).

Thanks
Have you looked at the Task Manager window to see how many other applications are running in the background and how much system resources they're taking up? I think 2GB is fine, you can't have MS Office, Norton Antivirus, and IE/FF/Chrome with a dozen open tabs running at the same time. It gets worse if your systems is infected with malware.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline anterograde

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #1268 on: December 05, 2013, 11:55:51 AM »
Thank you sa mga replies. I will try all your suggestions tonight.

Offline Zacchary_amadeus

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #1269 on: January 01, 2014, 08:08:06 PM »
what about recording your you tube video like recording yourself with a guitar???
\"Why worry if you can pray\"

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #1270 on: January 06, 2014, 02:39:54 PM »
what about recording your you tube video like recording yourself with a guitar???

What about it?

Offline dreistaste

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #1271 on: February 04, 2014, 07:42:42 AM »
I'd like to explore home recording, I read back some of the posts here and found it very informative. This is going to be my first journey, are the resources I have below enough to suffice if not better, good enough for demo?

PC:
Intel Corei3- 540
4g DDR3 RAM

Interface:
Line6 POD X3L

DAW:
Reaper

TIA  :)

Offline jamming_papu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1272 on: February 04, 2014, 11:12:34 PM »
^ Hardware is looking good. How about the speed and specs of your primary storage? Faster always help specially when working on samples. Also consider a good speaker to monitor your audio.
“Man, you don't have to play a whole lot of notes. You just have to play the pretty ones.”
- Miles Davis
 http://soundcloud.com/jammingpapu

Offline banjorayos

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #1273 on: April 04, 2014, 11:55:19 AM »
sir ask ko lang po paano malessen yung parang hiss or parangm ay electricfan doon sa record?

Guitar>effects>amp > mic>mixer>pc

ganyan po set up ko
Okey143

"No Growing UP"

Offline skin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1274 on: April 04, 2014, 12:07:47 PM »
sir ask ko lang po paano malessen yung parang hiss or parangm ay electricfan doon sa record?

Guitar>effects>amp > mic>mixer>pc

ganyan po set up ko

What's your mic?  Mixer?  Audio interface?