hulika

Author Topic: Some quote I read somewhere...  (Read 1815 times)

Offline hello_apocalypse

• Veteran Member
Some quote I read somewhere...
« on: March 17, 2006, 06:56:05 PM »
Prog-rock is an elaborate, terrified denial of the fundamental rock and roll fact that no matter how virtuosic and sophisticated a band gets, some junior-high dropout could step up with a guitar with four broken strings and play a song with enough soul to blow them out of the water forever.

i'm really interested in what you guys have to say about this, hehe. :P

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 08:09:48 PM »
i think that's debatable man.. other people get "blown out of the water" by the screams/growls/whatever that nu metal has to offer but others still appreciate musical skill and technical knowledge more than merely rocking yourself out. kanya-kanyang hilig lang :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline sonnyrayvaughn

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 08:21:21 PM »
pareng apocalypse, youre on a fishing expedition ha! hehe

on that remark: It all comes down to personal preference!! if you dont know what I mean, read the thread about burgers!

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 09:43:08 AM »
the thing is that something "progressive" can and will cease to be progressive after a certain period of time. take shred for example. people have had it up to HERE with all that tweeldy tweedly deeeng stuff. it was progressive at one time because nobody else did it.
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline fingertapper1

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Some quote I read somewhere...
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 11:19:17 AM »
Quote from: hello_apocalypse
Prog-rock is an elaborate, terrified denial of the fundamental rock and roll fact that no matter how virtuosic and sophisticated a band gets, some junior-high dropout could step up with a guitar with four broken strings and play a song with enough soul to blow them out of the water forever.

i'm really interested in what you guys have to say about this, hehe. :P

Are you talking bout grunge or punk? i think punk or grunge is one of your main influences. correct me if i'm wrong... anyway i agree that soul is essential to music especially rock. it is it's essence. but think about it this way.

there are 2 individual guitar players... one plays Prog rock and very technical and knows music theory inside out and the other guy only knows 4 chords. let's say they have the same soul... won't you think the guy with more knowledge has more avenue or ways to express himself rather than a guy who only knows 4 broken chords?

but it's really a matter of tastes because i also like punk and grunge as well coz as musicians we need to appreciate all kinds of music from the sex pistols to alice in chains. but that qoute is not fair because it basically says that progressive rock has no soul. and btw dream theater is not the only prog rock band.

meron pang pain of salvation, kansas, yes, rush... even pink floyd can be called prog. well that's just my opinion.

=) peace!
gino