hulika

Author Topic: Steely Dan  (Read 64107 times)

Chito

Re: Steely Dan
« Reply #125 on: July 07, 2008, 09:23:03 AM »
On the Two Against nature dvd, I noticed Walter Becker's very tasty playing. Idol ko na rin.

So why would another high-caliber, high-profile guitarist, i.e. Jon Herrington, now be needed in the band? Discounting physical exhaustion as possibly the primary reason...

Walter Becker was never the main guitar player of Steely Dan. In fact, he originally played the bass for most of their recordings except for probably the last couple of ones. Most of the lead work on their albums were done by session musicians like Larry Carlton, Elliot Randall, Jeff Baxter, Rick Derringer, Mark Knopfler, Wayne Krantz, etc.

I think Jon Herrington is a far better guitar player than Becker. But then Becker is known more for his songwriting abilities with Fagen than his actual playing.

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #126 on: July 07, 2008, 11:55:07 AM »

...and also Denny Diaz for his excellent work on "Do it again" and "Bodhitsattva"!
"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you, No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun" DSOTM

Offline guitarpie

« Reply #127 on: July 08, 2008, 01:57:59 AM »
and don't forget Jay Graydon who did the original Peg solo..
(",)

Offline Boddhisattva

• Veteran Member
« Reply #128 on: July 08, 2008, 07:14:15 AM »
I think this is the 1st time I've heard these songs played live. I may be wrong though.  Did Fagen play the Joe Sample part in "I got the news"?

The Royal Scam
I Got the News
Gaucho (Walter Becker vocal)
Home At Last
Love is Like an Itching in my Heart (band intro)
Last Tango in Paris (instrumental by band)
Give it all you\'ve got, but slowly - Chuck Mangione

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #129 on: July 08, 2008, 09:30:49 AM »
Walter Becker was never the main guitar player of Steely Dan. In fact, he originally played the bass for most of their recordings except for probably the last couple of ones. Most of the lead work on their albums were done by session musicians like Larry Carlton, Elliot Randall, Jeff Baxter, Rick Derringer, Mark Knopfler, Wayne Krantz, etc.

I think Jon Herrington is a far better guitar player than Becker. But then Becker is known more for his songwriting abilities with Fagen than his actual playing.

True. But it looks/sounds to me that Becker's playing has improved quite a lot; and may get to a point soon when he can ably carry the load... that is, should he want to.

Chito

« Reply #130 on: July 08, 2008, 08:01:05 PM »
I think this is the 1st time I've heard these songs played live. I may be wrong though.  Did Fagen play the Joe Sample part in "I got the news"?

The Royal Scam
I Got the News
Gaucho (Walter Becker vocal)
Home At Last
Love is Like an Itching in my Heart (band intro)
Last Tango in Paris (instrumental by band)

Those songs are in their full setlist. I believe they just take out or add more songs as they go along. The show we got lasted 80 minutes. Some folks are saying Ottawa was the first place they played Do It Again on this tour.

Chito

« Reply #131 on: July 08, 2008, 08:16:41 PM »
True. But it looks/sounds to me that Becker's playing has improved quite a lot; and may get to a point soon when he can ably carry the load... that is, should he want to.

Definitely. Altho I don't see him carrying all the guitar load on tour. What I noticed was, most of the solos that required to be played like their recorded version were played by Jon, while Becker improvised more when he got his turn. Which is typical of Walter Becker even when he played bass.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 08:18:07 PM by Chito »

Offline Jaco D

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #132 on: July 09, 2008, 04:58:10 AM »
Some folks are saying Ottawa was the first place they played Do It Again on this tour.

Mukhang tama ka diyan Chits -  they didn't play Do It Again when I saw them at the Beacon (not sure about the four or five other shows they had there during the week), though I would have wanted to hear Jon or Walter's take on the classic Denny Dias guitar solo.

They had "Steady" Freddie Washington playing bass in his usual "no frills" style (just the low end, baby), and I kinda missed seeing the late great Cornelius Bumpus on sax.  I saw Fagen (again at the Beacon) during the early 90s when he was on the "Rock and Soul Review" tour, and when I saw SD a few weeks back I was hoping against hope that Michael McDonald would be singing his signature "Pretzel Logic" line once again (asa pa, ultimong Pretzel Logic di nila kinanta).

Maybe it's just me but I found that Last Tango thing a bit out of place.  The brass section played it like a funeral march (anong tawag niyan sa atin - Punebre?).
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 05:03:00 AM by Jaco D »

Offline Boddhisattva

• Veteran Member
« Reply #133 on: July 09, 2008, 09:03:52 PM »
When I saw them 2 years ago in their tour with Mike, they also didn't play Pretzel Logic.
Give it all you\'ve got, but slowly - Chuck Mangione

Chito

« Reply #134 on: July 09, 2008, 09:25:47 PM »
I agree about the Last Tango part. I thought it was a "WTF" moment. hahahaha

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #135 on: August 12, 2008, 01:41:36 PM »
Not meaning to divert from the current discussion on SD's ongoing tour.... but my curiosity is killing me...

What can make that sitar-like effect on the solo in "Do It Again?"
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 02:50:19 PM by vegetablejoe »

Offline grasyaps

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #136 on: August 13, 2008, 04:35:39 PM »
Not meaning to divert from the current discussion on SD's ongoing tour.... but my curiosity is killing me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn9T6b7ZIBg

sir jaime, im guessing theres an effect for it. not sure what was IT in the 70s. :)

we could ask the guy on the video :)
Most Recent Successful Deals with: cap10weevil, carey, david_leyson, DyuN_whamMe, gt bass, guitarmaniacgino, jacobsarinas, jimny, jodencio, loydariel, pie_key, prince22, Spoonbender, sysrq1172, washburnt25

Offline grasyaps

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #137 on: August 13, 2008, 05:48:42 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn9T6b7ZIBg

sir jaime, im guessing theres an effect for it. not sure what was IT in the 70s. :)

we could ask the guy on the video :)
Most Recent Successful Deals with: cap10weevil, carey, david_leyson, DyuN_whamMe, gt bass, guitarmaniacgino, jacobsarinas, jimny, jodencio, loydariel, pie_key, prince22, Spoonbender, sysrq1172, washburnt25

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #138 on: August 13, 2008, 08:48:07 PM »
"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you, No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun" DSOTM

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #139 on: August 13, 2008, 08:54:23 PM »
http://www.vinniebell.com/
http://www.danacountryman.com/vinnie/pics/70s_Coral_Electric_Sitar.jpg

1. guitar solo on stanley clark's "sweet baby"
2. certain portions of taylor dayne's "love will lead you back"
3. certain portions of tavares' "hardcore poetry"
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 08:57:42 PM by 3650guy »

Offline guitarpie

« Reply #140 on: August 14, 2008, 12:30:57 AM »
http://www.vinniebell.com/
http://www.danacountryman.com/vinnie/pics/70s_Coral_Electric_Sitar.jpg

1. guitar solo on stanley clark's "sweet baby"
2. certain portions of taylor dayne's "love will lead you back"
3. certain portions of tavares' "hardcore poetry"

You got it! Your examples are all correct.. yun yata ang usong effect nung 70s specially on Stylistics and Tavares' songs. (I think it's a vibrato effect). You can reproduce that sound using a chorus or a flanger (medyo hawig na rin) by adjusting the rate & depth control knobs 3/4 or more(hanapin nyo na lang yung tama sa inyo)
(",)

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #141 on: August 14, 2008, 01:40:26 AM »
I only found out today that Hiram Bullock, who played some of the guitar parts on Gaucho, passed away last July.  Tragic.

http://www.hirambullock.com/

Offline grasyaps

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #142 on: August 14, 2008, 02:05:13 AM »
I only found out today that Hiram Bullock, who played some of the guitar parts on Gaucho, passed away last July.  Tragic.

http://www.hirambullock.com/

death is the only thing that is certain.

anyways, that GAUCHO song never fails to leave me an LSS... i listen to it everytime i walk home under the stars.

kahit mejo kinengkoy ung lyrics, the melody get the dejected-disappointment feeling.

Bodacious cowboys
Such as your friend
Will never be welcome here
High in the custerdome

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #143 on: August 14, 2008, 10:14:44 AM »
Aaah, so an electric sitar was actually used. Chorus settings noted.
Thanks, guys!

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #144 on: August 14, 2008, 07:06:43 PM »
You can reproduce that sound using a chorus or a flanger (medyo hawig na rin) by adjusting the rate & depth control knobs 3/4 or more(hanapin nyo na lang yung tama sa inyo)

plus resonance if your fx has it....

Offline joshnerez

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #145 on: August 15, 2008, 12:46:25 PM »
+1 steely dan
"It is not great men who changes the world, but weak men in the hands of a great God."

Offline kedysanchez

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #146 on: August 16, 2008, 09:50:47 PM »
plus resonance if your fx has it....

Tama yung electric sitar effect.  It was also used on the intro of "You Make Me Feel Brand New" when I took notice of that sound a long time ago.

An example of the flanged effect naman na kahawig ng ES can be heard on John Tropea's intro sa "Havana Strut" in Deodato's Whirlwinds album. 

Pasensiya na po at medyo luma ang mga examples.

Offline tuned

• Veteran Member
« Reply #147 on: August 21, 2008, 09:10:04 PM »
Always will be a steely dan fan.......... :-)
Take it easy , but take it.

Offline grasyaps

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #148 on: August 22, 2008, 05:34:10 PM »
moving on...

i heard this song decades ago and i like it but never bothered to look it up (di pa uso mabilis na internet nun at wla pa ata kami internet nun hehehe)

then when i caught the SD bug a few years back, i found out it was a DONALD FAGEN song.

IGY. watch or listen, or watch and listen. :) those who arent IN yet. get in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PfBYsII_Jw

i wish the geeks at the brass section wouldve moved a bit or showed any emotion, kahit sway lang :) kita mo si becker nagssway :)

http://search.playlist.com/tracks/IGY

fagen is like ray charles, white nga lang.  singing manerism (look at the mouth and face expression). with or without shades.

but then again, i havent seen ray charles without one. hehehehe  :wink:

Offline grasyaps

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #149 on: August 22, 2008, 05:39:08 PM »
btw, a nice japanese copy.

if only the japanese could sing like they make their copies. :) good enough though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZe-Xu8QVF0&feature=related