hulika

Author Topic: setting up an acoustic guitar - how to lower the action  (Read 4395 times)

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: setting up an acoustic guitar - how to lower the action
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2013, 09:01:14 AM »
thanks sirs/ mesdammes for the replies,

so its generally the sanding protion of the bridge that requires to have my guitar's action lowered.

update:  :|

I called my tita and asked for the receipt of the guitar (newly purchased pa pala 1 day lang) and brought it into the shop where i bought it. overall kakaiba ang tunog ng guitar ko kasi medyo warm "all mahogany body daw" compared sa ibang acoustics na ibanez dun na bright ang sound. Ang ginawa ng salesman dun in-adjust niya ang trus rod turned it clockwise for several times, bumaba ang action at nagiba ng tunog (as in mdeyo dikit na sa frets). kaya pina-tono ko ulit sa kanya ng tinono bumalik ang sound pero tumaas din ulit ang action (dahil sa tuning) pero mas mababa ng konti sa dati pero tumaas gawa ng pagkakatono. tinugtog ko parang ok pa din ang sound pero medyo iba na yata kumpara sa factory settings pero ok padin.  :|

kung dadalahin ko sa luthier mas magiging ok kaya yung sound? kung DIY ko naman ang sanding di kaya pumangit ang sound? I was thinking of loosening the trus again at ibalik ang original factory setting for the meantime to know and compare if the sound really has changed because of it.  :-\
What do you mean by nagiba ng tunog, exactly? Nagkaron ba ng string buzz?

You get a luthier to do the job to help make sure it's done right. I mean, papano ka na pag sumobra yung pagliha mo? Sa luthier pa rin ang takbo mo and malamang mas malaki pa ang gagastusin mo in the end. If the sound of the guitar improves because of an adjustment in action, it's a side effect of you playing more comfortably.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline Itsmeepeeetah

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2013, 09:44:43 AM »
What do you mean by nagiba ng tunog, exactly? Nagkaron ba ng string buzz?

You get a luthier to do the job to help make sure it's done right. I mean, papano ka na pag sumobra yung pagliha mo? Sa luthier pa rin ang takbo mo and malamang mas malaki pa ang gagastusin mo in the end. If the sound of the guitar improves because of an adjustment in action, it's a side effect of you playing more comfortably.

+1  :)

Nagconsult ako sa audiophile sa megamall dati..sabi nung salesman siya na daw magaadjust ng action...pinihit pihit niya lang yung truss rod tapos siningil ako ng 300 daan...grabe...to make it worse sumama yung intonation ng gitara...pinakamaganda talaga...dalin sa luthier..:)

God is good...
All the time!!

Offline IncX

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2013, 09:51:10 AM »
im not an expert, but ALL mahogany acoustic guitar?

mahogany top, yes ... but all mahogany is kind of strange. post pics?

Offline free2rock

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2013, 10:33:02 AM »
im not an expert, but ALL mahogany acoustic guitar?

mahogany top, yes ... but all mahogany is kind of strange. post pics?

Some vintage Martins are all-mahogany. Hehehe ;-)

LIKE us on FB!
RURU GUITAR STRAPS http://www.facebook.com/RuruGuitarStraps  GILEAD CUSTOM GUITARS http://www.facebook.com/GileadCustomGuitars

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus

Offline Freak

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2013, 01:52:35 PM »
this leads to another big question...

How do you INTONATE an acoustic guitar???

Offline tonwins11

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2013, 02:44:58 PM »

I second the motion.
Do-it-yourself tirada!

Offline free2rock

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2013, 02:56:57 PM »

Intonation on an acoustic guitar is not as accurate as electrics since you don't adjust the saddle placement individually. But it is within a forgiveable range. Intonation is done at the construction phase. With proper setup, intonation shouldn't be much of a problem. Best improvement/upgrade for the traditional acoustic guitar is a compensated bridge saddle and/or a retrofit BFTS nut.
LIKE us on FB!
RURU GUITAR STRAPS http://www.facebook.com/RuruGuitarStraps  GILEAD CUSTOM GUITARS http://www.facebook.com/GileadCustomGuitars

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2013, 04:26:25 PM »
Intonation on an acoustic guitar is not as accurate as electrics since you don't adjust the saddle placement individually. But it is within a forgiveable range. Intonation is done at the construction phase. With proper setup, intonation shouldn't be much of a problem. Best improvement/upgrade for the traditional acoustic guitar is a compensated bridge saddle and/or a retrofit BFTS nut.

Free2rock is correct. There are 2 types of acoustic saddles the Standard and Compensated.

This is why it is advisable to file the saddle from underneath. Meaning you have to take the whole saddle off.
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones.

Offline IncX

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2013, 07:50:01 PM »
you learn something new everyday.

TS is lucky to have an all mahogany acoustic. i haven't seen or heard one up close

Offline smarty

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2013, 09:30:11 PM »
first tune the guitar, check the neck, if its bowed then adjustment of the truss rod may lower the action, you can straighten it by turning the truss rod clockwise i usually do it 90 degrees at a time, tune then check the neck, repeat if necessary until straight na yung neck.

kung straight naman yung neck after tuning, at mataas talaga action, then sa nut ka rin pwede mag-adjust, bili ka na lang muna ng extra nut para dun ka muna magliha sayang nman kung yung orig yung masira.

Offline 24242009

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2013, 09:36:45 AM »
thanks for the replies sirs / mesdames,

I still haven't brought my guitar to a luthier due to my busy office schedule, but still plays it when I get home. The sound of my guitar somewhat different from my previous acoustic guitars, its better i think. maybe its the all mahogany body, kasi yung iba kong gitarang acoustic basag and tunog, etong all mahogany parang clear.

in the action issue,  If sanding is required, I dont have the skills to do it confidently.

one thing I've noticed the bridge/saddle is angled to a certain level, when you peek from the side of the frets you will notice that the bass strings has a higher action than the 1,2,3 strings. Whats the purpose of this from the factory? is this designed that way? to achieve a specific tone? If I level the bridge/saddle so I can have a low action (if i will take this to a luthier) will it affect the overall tonal quality of my guitar?

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2013, 09:49:38 AM »
If you will file the saddle , lay a sandpaper on a flat surface then file the under section of the saddle over it.
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones.

Offline creationz

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2013, 10:53:42 AM »
setting up my acoustics and electrics ever since. just some simple tools i use, allen wrench, sand paper and file, a lung metal ruler, and a caliper.

1. I just loosen the  string, turn the thruss rod 1/4 turn at a time, and 1/8 turn to fine tune. If it doesnt turn DONT force it.
2. you could see the curvature by looking from the back of the guitar, by pressing the string in both ends of the fret, or I use my steel ruler and place it on top of the frets.
3. I usually measure the string height with my caliper.
4. Check if the strings play nicely, and determine the "acceptable" fret tone and fret buzz
5. Compensate  a "bit" more...since putting back the  strings tension would affect your setting.

im sure there are more members here  with there own tips...so just read on.  :-D

Offline free2rock

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2013, 07:16:03 PM »
If you will file the saddle , lay a sandpaper on a flat surface then file the under section of the saddle over it.

This. And make sure wag manggigil. SLow and steady. Or else it won't be flat.
LIKE us on FB!

Offline ToneChild

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2013, 12:21:42 AM »
thanks for the replies sirs / mesdames,

I still haven't brought my guitar to a luthier due to my busy office schedule, but still plays it when I get home. The sound of my guitar somewhat different from my previous acoustic guitars, its better i think. maybe its the all mahogany body, kasi yung iba kong gitarang acoustic basag and tunog, etong all mahogany parang clear.

in the action issue,  If sanding is required, I dont have the skills to do it confidently.

one thing I've noticed the bridge/saddle is angled to a certain level, when you peek from the side of the frets you will notice that the bass strings has a higher action than the 1,2,3 strings. Whats the purpose of this from the factory? is this designed that way? to achieve a specific tone? If I level the bridge/saddle so I can have a low action (if i will take this to a luthier) will it affect the overall tonal quality of my guitar?

yes. saddles are angled when you view at the top for intonation and at the heights to prevent buzzing against frets. Don't know if you have this but some guitars have a compensated saddle to help with the intonation. Artwood Ibanez guitars are studio quality so it's kind of painful to see why it suffered setup issues. Mine has a very low action.

Sanding will not have an effect on tonality. The worst you could do is end up with a buzzing guitar. You can shim it naman pag sumobra ka sa pagsand to bring it up to the desired level naman or get a replacement aftemarket saddle as others have mentioned.
2008 USA Charvel SoCal Style 1 2H Black;2009 Fender American Standard Stratocaster Sienna Sunburst;2012 Ibanez 25TH Anniversary RG3XXV Laser Blue;2013 Ibanez Genesis Collection RG550 Road Flare Red;Laney Lionheart L20T