hulika

Author Topic: Transcribing heavy distorted guitars  (Read 2442 times)

Offline P Nut

Transcribing heavy distorted guitars
« on: December 19, 2018, 05:13:43 PM »
I'm currently working on ear training and trying to transcribe some songs that have heavy guitars. Medyo mahirap pakinggan with the heavy vocals and cymbals layering on top of each other. Any tips on isolating them? I'm already slowing the song down to 50-70% 

Offline mds09

• Netizen Level
Re: Transcribing heavy distorted guitars
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 11:04:00 AM »
Ako what i usually do is base it sa bass line chords, then kapa from there.. unless we are talking about rhythm, but for lead parts, mejo slow ren ako lalu na pag mabilis na licks na..

Sent from my MIX 2 using Tapatalk

Offline guitaricci

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 04:06:26 PM »
Yup go for the bass lines.

Or can you "sing" the guitar line? That worked for me. For about 3 or 4 years now i've been listening to "Creeping Death" ng Metallica and wala naman akong balak aralin yung kanta na yun. Pero dahil halos nakakanta ko na yung guitar riffs...one day, i just grabbed my guitar and then natutunan ko sya kaagad (at least the basic chord progression).

And minsan kakanood ko ng mga gear demos sa youtube, yung mga kanta na gusto ko matutunan...tinutugtog ng mga youtubers so its like indirect cheating  :-D
Its not the kill, Its the thrill of the chase...

Offline dullFingers

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 11:42:39 AM »
I listen to the song as much as I can (usually with a headphone or earphones) in order for me to be familiar with it's different parts. Imagine being able to play the song inside your head over and over. I agree with going for the bass lines first, then take it from there.

Offline bloodshedd

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 11:19:08 AM »
I'm currently working on ear training and trying to transcribe some songs that have heavy guitars. Medyo mahirap pakinggan with the heavy vocals and cymbals layering on top of each other. Any tips on isolating them? I'm already slowing the song down to 50-70%

Other than slowing down the tracks (which adds unwanted audio artifacts) you might want to also try these as well:

***Isolate the Left and Right audio outputs. Some artists do layering, counterpoint or harmonies that are split between 2 guitars. Hearing the parts on their own helps!

***You can "Subtract" your stereo audio track which somehow greatly reduces the volume of bass and drums and leave just a lot of the guitars and cymbals. Just roll off the highs. Some metal that was recorded in the 80's-90's have bassy production and this is the trick to getting more guitars out of the recordings. 

I do these audio track manipulation using a DAW. Doing it on a DAW also helps since I can just loop a certain length of audio.
For JB MUSIC AND SPORTS' big discounts and 0% installment deals.... Check out https://www.facebook.com/JBMusicPh

Contact JB MUSIC ALABANG TOWN CENTER @ 809-1726 and 842-9545  Check out BADBURN @ https://www.facebook.com/pages/Badburn/114672008558924?ref=