hulika

Author Topic: DIY AMP GAS!  (Read 6838 times)

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
DIY AMP GAS!
« on: February 13, 2006, 04:14:33 AM »
http://www.ceriatone.com/

drool! drool! drool!

and cheap too!

i know a couple of guys who've already tried them and they rock from all the reviews i've heard..

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
DIY AMP GAS!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 06:31:43 AM »
Damn!!! GGGAAASSS!!!! Them amps look nice!!! I like the JTM 45 complete. Now, just need to find a good excuse to tell my wife about this acquisittion, hehe :lol:  :cry:  #-o

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
DIY AMP GAS!
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 06:42:59 AM »
yeah im seriously thinking about it.. by the looks of it the expensive part would be finding speakers..

imagine the damage i'd do with
"oasgomez" P35000 alnico blues from england

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
DIY AMP GAS!
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 07:08:01 AM »
Quote from: jack in a vox
yeah im seriously thinking about it.. by the looks of it the expensive part would be finding speakers..

I can easily get speakers ...Vin 30s.
Just don't know what those things are....(posted)...are those the innerds or Circuit board of the amp? When you buy it...is it already soldered and all that stuff? Where are the transformers and power tubes?
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
DIY AMP GAS!
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 07:11:10 AM »
BTW...those Made and England VS. Made in China for me ...doesn't really cut it. The China sounds the same or as better than those Englands (specifically the vintage 30s)....Here's a post in a BBS that I absolutely agrre...this comes from a proffessional session musician...

"You guys are smokin' Crack if you think that the newer vintage 30's that are made in China are somehow inferior to the ones previously made........in England (Which is not in the USA the last time I checked  )

If it's because you'd rather buy American made, then more power to you.........if it's a quality thing, some of the best stuff is comming out of China right now and it's kickin America's BUTT! The factories are newer as well as the technology/tools, and the quality control is much better than it ever was.

I don't mean to rant, but my company and another company of a friend of mine both have lots of items being made in China, and we deal with these issues first hand --------> The bottom line is that there are less quality issues, and the it cost us less to have things made PERIOD. I feel bad that we can't have these items made over here, but it cost WAY too much, and the quality was lacking and inconsistant.  

So don't be scared to buy your Celestions that were made in China........they might just be the best ones you've ever laid your hands on.  

Rick"

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
DIY AMP GAS!
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 07:22:33 AM »
i've exchanged emails with them about a custom amp i want built.  wala lang ako funds sa ngayon for that.  but i know someone who's planning to bring the standard kit or board offerings, assemble the rest of the amp in head/cab or combo format and sell em for still lower than boutique prices.  great option for those in manila, cheaper sa atin than from U.S.

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
DIY AMP GAS!
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 07:24:30 AM »
Quote from: Phil

I can easily get speakers ...Vin 30s.
Just don't know what those things are....(posted)...are those the innerds or Circuit board of the amp? When you buy it...is it already soldered and all that stuff? Where are the transformers and power tubes?

they come in different stages.. and kits..

so you can get it completely built.. or you can buy a kit with all the parts and DIY.. and with those you'll need to solder stuff and be able to read schematics and wiring diagrams (from what i heard it's just p2p)

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
DIY AMP GAS!
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 07:26:56 AM »
Quote from: deltaslim
i've exchanged emails with them about a custom amp i want built.  wala lang ako funds sa ngayon for that.  but i know someone who's planning to bring the standard kit or board offerings, assemble the rest of the amp in head/cab or combo format and sell em for still lower than boutique prices.  great option for those in manila, cheaper sa atin than from U.S.

yeah those low-wattage amps are very tempting.. cheaper than buying vintage or boutique..

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
DIY AMP GAS!
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 07:28:45 AM »
BTW...those Made and England VS. Made in China for me ...doesn't really cut it. The China sounds the same or as better than those Englands (specifically the vintage 30s)....Here's a post in a BBS that I absolutely agrre...this comes from a proffessional session musician...

"You guys are smokin' Crack if you think that the newer vintage 30's that are made in China are somehow inferior to the ones previously made........in England (Which is not in the USA the last time I checked  )

If it's because you'd rather buy American made, then more power to you.........if it's a quality thing, some of the best stuff is comming out of China right now and it's kickin America's BUTT! The factories are newer as well as the technology/tools, and the quality control is much better than it ever was.

I don't mean to rant, but my company and another company of a friend of mine both have lots of items being made in China, and we deal with these issues first hand --------> The bottom line is that there are less quality issues, and the it cost us less to have things made PERIOD. I feel bad that we can't have these items made over here, but it cost WAY too much, and the quality was lacking and inconsistant.  

So don't be scared to buy your Celestions that were made in China........they might just be the best ones you've ever laid your hands on.  

Rick"

i agree.. the reason US or UK built stuff are expensive is because they pay more for wages and stuff.. the parts are probably made in china anyway.. :P

like something i hear often about fenders: "the difference between MIA and MIM"

MIA: Made in USA by Mexicans
MIM Made in Mexico by Mexicans

:P:P:P

Offline agentx44

• Veteran Member
DIY AMP GAS!
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 07:51:22 AM »

Most Excellent! In that case I'll wait for the Fender Bassman clone. hehehe
soylent green is people.

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
DIY AMP GAS!
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2006, 07:58:20 AM »

THAT IS SOOOOOOO TRUE.

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
DIY AMP GAS!
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2006, 08:34:31 AM »
i've been wondering some months back if some of these kits could be retrofitted in an existing combo amp. i'm still not a fan of carrying around separate head and cab units.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline glassjaw_jc

• Philmusicus Addictus
DIY AMP GAS!
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2006, 09:00:09 AM »
based dun sa mga pics, i think you should be able to...

wouldn't a head and cab unit look cooler  :mrgreen:
Surf's Up!

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
DIY AMP GAS!
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2006, 10:25:04 AM »
i agree.. the reason US or UK built stuff are expensive is because they pay more for wages and stuff.. the parts are probably made in china anyway.. :P

Hihi, so true :lol: .

Offline meashuggahr

• Veteran Member
DIY AMP GAS!
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2006, 10:32:33 AM »

THAT IS SOOOOOOO TRUE.

:shock:  :idea:  :arrow:

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
DIY AMP GAS!
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2006, 10:52:24 AM »

ha ha!  so true.  people don't understand that location doesn't really matter for as long as the processes and technology used are the same.  china, us, england, philippines, ireland, mauritius, etc. -- who cares... for as long as quality measures are institutionalized, then you'll get the same results.  americans were so averse to cars made in japan and germany way back when... then look at what happened... it's only recently when ford, general motors, etc. started to get their customer base back.

having said that, there's no reason why the philippines can't be a hotbed for amps or even guitars -- eh ang daming luthier na cebuano at kapampangan di ba?

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
DIY AMP GAS!
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2006, 11:01:58 AM »
Quote from: PRSMan
...said that, there's no reason why the philippines can't be a hotbed for amps or even guitars -- eh ang daming luthier na cebuano at kapampangan di ba?
...yeah...thats why I'm proud to be a Cebuano.

Offline agentx44

• Veteran Member
DIY AMP GAS!
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2006, 01:42:31 PM »

ha ha!  so true.  people don't understand that location doesn't really matter for as long as the processes and technology used are the same.  china, us, england, philippines, ireland, mauritius, etc. -- who cares... for as long as quality measures are institutionalized, then you'll get the same results.  americans were so averse to cars made in japan and germany way back when... then look at what happened... it's only recently when ford, general motors, etc. started to get their customer base back.

having said that, there's no reason why the philippines can't be a hotbed for amps or even guitars -- eh ang daming luthier na cebuano at kapampangan di ba?

the only major hurdle that the RP has to cross is the quality issue. Kaya naman nating magmass-production ng mga guitars and amps kaso the standing debate on quality has yet to be resolved. If we can manufacture products that are comparable to Chinese and Korean products, we're in business.
soylent green is people.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
DIY AMP GAS!
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2006, 04:12:47 PM »
...said that, there's no reason why the philippines can't be a hotbed for amps or even guitars -- eh ang daming luthier na cebuano at kapampangan di ba?
...yeah...thats why I'm proud to be a Cebuano.

ah, ok kaya pala mahilig ako sa gtrs/amps... my dad is kapampangan and i like cebuana girls (nudge nudge, wink wink) ;-).

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
DIY AMP GAS!
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2006, 04:14:07 PM »
Quote from: Al_Librero
i've been wondering some months back if some of these kits could be retrofitted in an existing combo amp. i'm still not a fan of carrying around separate head and cab units.

Al - Ang sabi nung contact ko, pwede. It's a matter of designing the right chassis and cab for it. Matrabaho pero it's not rocket science naman e. Kaya mo yan, DIYer ka e.

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
DIY AMP GAS!
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2006, 09:44:23 PM »
Quote from: agentx44

the only major hurdle that the RP has to cross is the quality issue. Kaya naman nating magmass-production ng mga guitars and amps kaso the standing debate on quality has yet to be resolved. If we can manufacture products that are comparable to Chinese and Korean products, we're in business.

Dude, quality is not really a capability, it's an attitude :D . When I opened my Rage Amp, I thought it was an OEM of Hotcabs from Korea. It said right there on the transformer "Technosound Consumer Electronics, Metro Manila, Philippines". In fairness, the choice of power amp stage sucks and it should have been standard that a muffin fan be installed (but was not). BUT...the chassis and the way it was assembled is PULIDO. That's why I was scouring the boards for nonfunctioning  Rage amps specifically, to serve as a platform for my next projects. I do have an issue with the particle board cab, it disintegrates when you replace the speaker but all in all, they're near the green kumbaga. Just replace the cab with plyboard (or if you want it as expensive as dumble, knot-free cedar from Lebanon for that more musical sound hahahaha). Ngek, I'm ranting. Anyway all I'm saying is that...it's possible. We only need a Pinoy who would put his foot down and say "I'll do it".
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
DIY AMP GAS!
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2006, 12:28:32 AM »
Al - Ang sabi nung contact ko, pwede. It's a matter of designing the right chassis and cab for it. Matrabaho pero it's not rocket science naman e. Kaya mo yan, DIYer ka e.

hehehe. i have my limits.

i was worried if my marshall vs65r has enough height clearance for the power tubes and transformer.

anyway, no major purchases muna siguro ako. hehehe.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline dssgtr

DIY AMP GAS!
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2006, 05:39:01 AM »
DIY na hindi maumpisahan. I think it's a MK I

di ko alam kung pwede pang ma salvage dahil nabasa.

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
DIY AMP GAS!
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2006, 06:50:47 AM »
send it to me and il give it a crack! ;)

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: DIY AMP GAS!
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2018, 03:22:53 PM »
Ceriatone has been in trouble with the guys at the Amp Garage. He essentially copped all of the info from that amp forum and made a business out of it.
I'd rather be sharp than flat.