hulika

Author Topic: The first ever Baker B3 in Manila!!! - LOCKED  (Read 35652 times)

Offline markthevirtuoso

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: First Ever Baker B3 in Manila!!!
« Reply #125 on: October 05, 2007, 06:31:17 PM »
sound clip!

:D :D :D

Seriously, this sarcasm is damaging. :roll:
Fidelity means a horrible noise sounds like a horrible noise.

Offline IncX

« Reply #126 on: October 05, 2007, 11:23:59 PM »
sound clip!

:D :D :D

ok... i honestly dont know if this is a joke...

but cmon... errr ... is this it?

were talking about this super mythical guitar which plays like nothing ive ever played before, right?

Offline turiguiliano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #127 on: October 05, 2007, 11:34:39 PM »
ok... i honestly dont know if this is a joke...

but cmon... errr ... is this it?

were talking about this super mythical guitar which plays like nothing ive ever played before, right?

yep. how much does that cost again?
US Toll Free: 650.488.7901
Globe:0927.858.1635
Smart:0949.190.0200 Sun:0932.748.6705 Bogner Amplification - CMATMODS - F-BASS - Jet City Amplification - Lava Cables - Paul Cochrane Audio - Pedal Train - Weber Speakers - Wilson Effects - XOTIC Effects

Offline IncX

« Reply #128 on: October 05, 2007, 11:38:29 PM »
yep. how much does that cost again?

i dont know...

probably expensive enough to make fingers twirl or something.

Offline turiguiliano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #129 on: October 05, 2007, 11:39:57 PM »
i dont know...

probably expensive enough to make fingers twirl or something.

what? 4,5,6,7,8 k? $?
US Toll Free: 650.488.7901
Globe:0927.858.1635
Smart:0949.190.0200 Sun:0932.748.6705 Bogner Amplification - CMATMODS - F-BASS - Jet City Amplification - Lava Cables - Paul Cochrane Audio - Pedal Train - Weber Speakers - Wilson Effects - XOTIC Effects

Offline alroyT

• Veteran Member
« Reply #130 on: October 06, 2007, 12:18:38 AM »
urrghh

Offline bendedbeam

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #131 on: October 06, 2007, 12:36:18 AM »
It has zebra bobbins now, I thought it had chrome covers before? So the guitar must have been expensive because it was designed just for bending? I don't get it, am I missing something? The punchline I guess...
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 12:41:06 AM by bendedbeam »
---------------------------------
It's not the guitar's fault...

Offline vhunter

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #132 on: October 06, 2007, 01:27:11 AM »
Man, alot of people are giving the baker a bad rap. I figured Id post one of our vids here where I did use the baker. Ill try to get more up soon.

Im also uploading some tracks to the soundclick site.. mostly baker tracks. Ill label them for you guys.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=720342
« Last Edit: Kahapon at 03:54:57 PM by vhunter »

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #133 on: October 06, 2007, 01:33:53 AM »
Like I said... maraming heckler diyan ala barangay Ginebra.  Funny nga naman si pareng Alex, but while I agree on his "areas for improvement", some comments being made by other forum members are just way out of line.

Miks -- I might be in Manila this Monday through next Saturday.  Emergency trip.  Pasubok ng #59!   :-D

Alex -- Pasubok ng amps!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 01:41:52 AM by PRSMan »

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #134 on: October 06, 2007, 01:39:55 AM »
what? 4,5,6,7,8 k? $?

a Baker B3 costs 4-5,000 US from what I remember. Its funny..you'd think that for that amount of money spent on a guitar you'd have the sense to spend just as much time and money learning to play a guitar - any guitar - first before plunking down that amount of cash. Call me odd but i find it silly to spend money on an instrument and then not use it as much or as well as I would like. When you start driving a car, you don't immediately get the best looking car to drive because you wouldn't care two sh*ts about how it handles, maneuvers or performs on the road. In this case, whether you put a Baker in the video or a $100 no-name POS guitar, I don't think the off-key bends and aimless noodling would have sounded any different. Hopefully, this guitar won't stay in a case as a trophy of sorts. It would be a shame not to play, gig and really dig into such a fine instrument, otherwise, it isn't going to be much more than an expensive paperweight.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline toybitz

« Reply #135 on: October 06, 2007, 02:20:23 AM »
I think we all deserve a good guitar, expensive or not, beginner or pro.  Its a privilege for those who can afford.
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #136 on: October 06, 2007, 02:41:58 AM »
I think we all deserve a good guitar, expensive or not, beginner or pro.  Its a privilege for those who can afford.

agreed. my point was - for all the puffery that this guitar has generated on the board, seeing the video and all the noodling and bending and ear pointing had me (and other people, apparently) asking: that was it? where is the beef? where is the actual playing? show me, Bayang Magiliw, mary had a little lamb...or Si Felimon..something. Fortunately, vhunter was able to provide better clips for y'all that were left wanting:) Kudos parekoy!

i don't doubt that the Baker is an amazing guitar but there had to be more substance for other people to get a better idea of what the guitar is all about. For all the heat it has around it, there had to be more to its sound than making it squeal like a pig giving birth.................well, maybe a small goat:)

Offline bendedbeam

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #137 on: October 06, 2007, 05:45:11 AM »
agreed. my point was - for all the puffery that this guitar has generated on the board, seeing the video and all the noodling and bending and ear pointing had me (and other people, apparently) asking: that was it? where is the beef? where is the actual playing? show me, Bayang Magiliw, mary had a little lamb...or Si Felimon..something. Fortunately, vhunter was able to provide better clips for y'all that were left wanting:) Kudos parekoy!

i don't doubt that the Baker is an amazing guitar but there had to be more substance for other people to get a better idea of what the guitar is all about. For all the heat it has around it, there had to be more to its sound than making it squeal like a pig giving birth.................well, maybe a small goat:)

Very well said, including your previous post. We buy the best out there because we want to sound good in practice and especially during gigs. But if you can't give justice to the price tag it would've been better if you spent more money and time on guitar lessons or whatever can help you improve your playing. That's why it's best to acquire gear by increments IMO. Maximize your current gear, if you've outgrown your guitar and it can't give you the evolved taste/sound you have in your head then move on. Ultimately you'll get the best for you, it may be $500 or $5000 still it's the BEST for you while you're at your BEST for it.
---------------------------------
It's not the guitar's fault...

Offline alroyT

• Veteran Member
« Reply #138 on: October 06, 2007, 06:29:07 AM »
NR=1

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #139 on: October 06, 2007, 06:47:53 AM »
But if you can't give justice to the price tag it would've been better if you spent more money and time on guitar lessons or whatever can help you improve your playing. That's why it's best to acquire gear by increments IMO.

What gives you the right to say what someone should do or not do with his money?  It's his money -- he worked hard for it, and deserves to use it as he sees fit.

For argument's sake, let's say that Alex needed to be more "polite" on the forum.  However, to say that he shouldn't have bought a Baker or doesn't deserve a Baker is completely wrong.

And who says that he's not taking lessons or trying to improve his playing?

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #140 on: October 06, 2007, 07:14:34 AM »
 :lol:  this thread is still on going?  I thought this topic is already old news...... what gives? BTW.... no one cannot dictate what someone should do unless your still a baby. peace.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline micr0chimp

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #141 on: October 06, 2007, 07:21:07 AM »
Subjecting one's self to criticism and the possibility of ridicule by one's own actions, words and manner is a right everyone has.  But the thought of going out of one's way to publicly humiliate a fellow human being?

A mob of stone-throwers is never a nice thing.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #142 on: October 06, 2007, 07:56:11 AM »
Hopefully, this guitar won't stay in a case as a trophy of sorts. It would be a shame not to play, gig and really dig into such a fine instrument, otherwise, it isn't going to be much more than an expensive paperweight.

May bago namang banda si Alex ah...  SMORGASBAND!

http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,64051.0.html

:-D

If he's not playing in it,  maybe he's the manager... cuz he sure likes playing the part.  ;-)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 08:20:46 AM by deltaslim »

Offline IncX

« Reply #143 on: October 06, 2007, 12:16:25 PM »
oh well... whenever you post something online, you will always get hecklers. i had my share of hecklers on  clips where i played a warwick. it did suck cause sometimes you feel ppl only diss you because your bass isnt really proportional to your playing skills in THAT particular clip.

i guess i was a bit shocked cause the baker was built up so much (by no other than oas) ... to the point where i began believing its a guitar that sounds like a dream. when i heard the clips, to be honest, i realize its all about the player. maybe 30% gear and 70% player.

the guitar will only sing when you have the ability to make it happen ... or else, be it a warwick, baker, suhr, alembic, etc. ... they wont be any different from low end ibanez's, yamahas, fenders, gibsons, etc. especially if you will just bend one string and ask ppl to "feel" the tone or something.

actually... there are times where my warwick's butt gets kicked by peavey grinds ... so that means i have to go back to the wood shed and reevaluate my playing again. hehe

-*-

for what its worth... you dont need guitar playing skills to own a godly guitar. you need money for that.

so if theres one thing oas is really good at ... its making money.

now, thats something i wanna have *lol*
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 12:25:49 PM by IncX »

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #144 on: October 06, 2007, 02:11:46 PM »
For argument's sake, let's say that Alex needed to be more "polite" on the forum.  However, to say that he shouldn't have bought a Baker or doesn't deserve a Baker is completely wrong.

very well said - i don't want to push the wrong idea that Alex or whoever else who can afford good gear doesn't deserve it because, hell, if we could all afford good gear, we'd get it by the truck loads! I really do believe that good gear does get you a long way but my main gripe was, the clip should have shown a little more playing to show what the Baker was about since most people got the impression that despite all the praises Alex had about the guitar, all you could really derive from the clip was that the guitar could bend notes. Yes, he doesn't HAVE to defend his purchase - why he chooses to spend money of stuff like that is his business - however, if one is posed with a question as to why he think something is great AND they respond with a lot of praises punctuating it with statements which are demeaning to other guitars...now, you'd better have something good to back those claims up otherwise all you've said is all a bag of hot air.

Being subjective about music, guitars and gear is a tough subject but when you choose to say that something is better than anything else AND you preface your threads with headlines like "The First Baker in the Philippines," or "The First Diezel Herbert in the Philippines," there has to be more substance to what you say (or do) to explain to people why you feel this way. You wouldn't be posting news of your latest acquisition on an internet forum if some part of you didn't want to share information on it, right? Bragging rights aside, you don't have to defend your purchase but, at the very least, explain why you got a particular impression  in a good, clear and non-derogatory way.  Now, I ain't asking you to play amazing riffs but, good lord, man, do play something that is made up of some coherent chords...something - anything - would be better than the nonsense noodling I heard.

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #145 on: October 06, 2007, 02:20:54 PM »
I really do believe that good gear does get you a long way but my main gripe was, the clip should have shown a little more playing to show what the Baker was about since most people got the impression that despite all the praises Alex had about the guitar, all you could really derive from the clip was that the guitar could bend notes. Yes, he doesn't HAVE to defend his purchase - why he chooses to spend money of stuff like that is his business - however, if one is posed with a question as to why he think something is great AND they respond with a lot of praises punctuating it with statements which are demeaning to other guitars...now, you'd better have something good to back those claims up otherwise all you've said is all a bag of hot air.

Being subjective about music, guitars and gear is a tough subject but when you choose to say that something is better than anything else AND you preface your threads with headlines like "The First Baker in the Philippines," or "The First Diezel Herbert in the Philippines," there has to be more substance to what you say (or do) to explain to people why you feel this way. You wouldn't be posting news of your latest acquisition on an internet forum if some part of you didn't want to share information on it, right? Bragging rights aside, you don't have to defend your purchase but, at the very least, explain why you got a particular impression  in a good, clear and non-derogatory way.  Now, I ain't asking you to play amazing riffs but, good lord, man, do play something that is made up of some coherent chords...something - anything - would be better than the nonsense noodling I heard.

IMO (from what I've read/understood), the issue here is this:  the clip was not meant to be a demo of the Baker... or rather Alex did not intend to shoot a clip of himself demo-ing the Baker.  Kinunan lang ata siya ni Jon for whatever reason.  And that is why medyo nagkainitan yung dalawa because Jon floated it on the internet -- and that is also why Jon subsequently removed it while the rest of barangay Ginebra are still out there enjoying the heck out of it.  Based on what I know of Alex -- all Philmusic/GC-based -- he would never create create a video of himself doing the demo.

Parang soap opera ano?

Offline bluenote

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #146 on: October 06, 2007, 02:55:24 PM »
IMO (from what I've read/understood), the issue here is this:  the clip was not meant to be a demo of the Baker... or rather Alex did not intend to shoot a clip of himself demo-ing the Baker.  Kinunan lang ata siya ni Jon for whatever reason.  And that is why medyo nagkainitan yung dalawa because Jon floated it on the internet -- and that is also why Jon subsequently removed it while the rest of barangay Ginebra are still out there enjoying the heck out of it.  Based on what I know of Alex -- all Philmusic/GC-based -- he would never create create a video of himself doing the demo.

Parang soap opera ano?

Bro ang alam ko meron na shang similar na videos before...

Jon always captures guys who test his guitars on video for personal reference if you can check out his youtube account makikita mo mo yung iba pang mga nag test ng guitars nya... I dont think Jon had any bad intentions....
Alex was also aware....

Pati nga pag repair ng guitara vinivideo ni Jon eh....

The dragon has put out my fire.

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #147 on: October 06, 2007, 03:15:29 PM »
Bro ang alam ko meron na shang similar na videos before...

Jon always captures guys who test his guitars on video for personal reference if you can check out his youtube account makikita mo mo yung iba pang mga nag test ng guitars nya... I dont think Jon had any bad intentions....
Alex was also aware....

Pati nga pag repair ng guitara vinivideo ni Jon eh....

But in this case, Jon did not capture a video of Alex testing his guitar but of Alex playing some other guitar right?  I full understand if a builder takes videos of his clients or prospective clients using his stuff in order to advertise his work.  Pero what was the point of taking a video of Alex and his Baker?

BTW, nagpaalam ba si Jon kay Alex na i-post niya sa YouTube yung video?  Or ang alam lang ba ni Alex is naka-video siya for Jon's use only?

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #148 on: October 06, 2007, 03:16:40 PM »

Parang soap opera ano?

uy..i didn't know that. yeah, it IS like a soap opera. i didn't know that it wasn't supposed to be a demo because from what the original posting inferred was that it was supposed to be a demo of sorts so, naturally, when I saw the clip I was like,"Huh? Where is the rest of it?"
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 03:18:35 PM by abyssinianson »

Offline bluenote

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #149 on: October 06, 2007, 03:23:38 PM »
But in this case, Jon did not capture a video of Alex testing his guitar but of Alex playing some other guitar right?  I full understand if a builder takes videos of his clients or prospective clients using his stuff in order to advertise his work.  Pero what was the point of taking a video of Alex and his Baker?

BTW, nagpaalam ba si Jon kay Alex na i-post niya sa YouTube yung video?  Or ang alam lang ba ni Alex is naka-video siya for Jon's use only?

Actually adlawa yung tinest ni alex may video din sha na hawak nya yung guitara ni jon... Demo talaga yun kasi they were comparing the two guitars...

Kaya yun lumabas is to let the rest of us watch a sort of an A vs. B comparison...
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 03:26:45 PM by bluenote »

The dragon has put out my fire.