hulika

Author Topic: 'HOW TO NOT SOUND LIKE ANYBODY ELSE'  (Read 3733 times)

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
'HOW TO NOT SOUND LIKE ANYBODY ELSE'
« on: April 27, 2006, 10:08:26 PM »
Still plagued by a guitaristic 'identity crisis?'

Read on ...

Thanks to ibreathemusic.com ..

===============================================

How To Not Sound Like Anybody Else (More or Less)...
by Wayne Krantz  (07 Apr 02)

... in 3 to 5 Miserably Painful Years

In the beginning, we WANT to sound like who we like. That's how we get on our feet as players; by imitating the greats, or even the near-greats or the not-so-greats. Anybody, really; we just want to sound like we know what we're doing.

Eventually though, after you've tried on your various idol's shoes for a number of years by copying their licks, looks, sound, approach, etc., you may find that you yearn to put a more personal stamp on your music. This yearning feeling can manifest in many ways, ranging from a simple nagging sensation when playing that Courtney Love lick for the six hundredth time, to full-blown nausea at the mere mention of Courtney. Depending on the intensity of your self-loathing, you may want to take steps to address these feelings of incongruity. With that in mind, I list here some thoughts on the subject:

If you feel your entire perspective of what guitar playing should sound like is being dictated by another player's style, you might want to stop listening to that person. Completely. Because there is no such thing as a "right" way to play the guitar. I went through this with Pat Metheny in 1980. No, he didn't sound like me; I sounded like him. When I realized I wasn't satisfied with that, I stopped listening to him altogether. Which raises Painful Step Number One (which is more or less the crux of this article): To some degree you're going to have to GIVE UP what you LOVE, 'cause what you LOVE ain't doin' you enough GOOD. It turns into its own kind of prison, you see, and that particular prison can, in many cases, stifle your creativity.

So let's say you've gone ahead and burned all your idol's lick tapes and you want to continue the exorcism. What's next? Painful Step Number Two: take your own playing completely apart. Analyze it like an Entomologist analyzes an Acarine. Question EVERYTHING. Start with your sound -can you change it so that it doesn't immediately put you in someone else's ballpark? Change the guitar? Change the amp? Get rid of/add chorus, distortion, delay, etc.? Assuming you're in a position to dictate your own context -ie., you have your own band -how can you change the composition, the instrumentation, the arranging, etc. so it doesn't constantly evoke the name of another?

Take your lines/chords apart. Could they stand to be more/less be-boppy, or fusiony, of rocky, or funky? Examine the balances between the elements of your playing. It's a reactionary process: you're looking to see what you have in common with your influences and you're giving up as much of it as you can, keeping only what you must. NOTHING IS A GIVEN. The only thing the listener needs from you is that you sound good, not that you sound like somebody else. That's hard to remember sometimes.

Okay, so now you've managed to get rid of just about everything you thought was cool and all you've got left are the notes c, e and an old wah-wah pedal. Now what? Painful Step Number Three: turn inward, look inside yourself and try to find something you can call your own. For me, it was my rhythmic imagination. But it could be anything, any small or big thing: a harmony, an emotional state, a color, a melody -anything. Once you have it clearly in your mind, then try to express it as musically as you can with that c, that e and that wah-wah pedal. Work with it. Develop it. Expand it. There's no telling where it could go.

If these measures seem extreme, you may want to temper them somewhat to fit with your own ideas and goals. One thing you can do: instead of just copping a lick from somebody that you like and trying to cram it into a solo somewhere, try to figure out WHY you liked the lick in the first place -what is it about its melodic, rhythmic or harmonic content that appeals to you -and then try to improvise with that concept in mind. That's a good way to learn from people without necessarily sounding like them; a way to disguise your influences, thereby making it easier for people to enjoy your music without constantly being reminded of something else.

It doesn't bother me to evoke "the Blues" or "Jazz" or "Rock" with my playing. These idioms have fallen into common domain now; nobody owns them, they belong to everyone. But it does bother me to hear myself playing with the voice of another specific individual. It interferes with my search for the truth, which is basically what I'm about with this stuff of music. Of course, there are other perspectives.

• Discuss  • Rate Article  • Print Version  • Tell a Friend

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
About the Author
Visit Wayne's website at www.waynekrantz.com
"No static at all ..."

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 02:28:34 AM »
My take on this (lol) is to take the road less travelled...heck...the road not travelled hahehehe.

Like when I put a ceramic transducer on my guitar's body and wired it to the switch. I was hoping for a natural "acoustic guitar sound". I got it, in what some paradigms appear to be a [gooey brown stuff] sounding langka guitar not unlike those being sold by maglalakos who ply the streets selling cheap guitars with batty necks.

But it had a character of its own...little sustain from the strings themselves but with what seems to be a natural reverb from picking up vibrations from the body...and a very shrill noise when you pick...like picking a ukelele with steel strings.

I didnt like it...but Jun Castro found a gem in its tone...he said he can use that kind of sound in their music (ethnic-folk), and inquired where I got the transducer. Of course I was dumbfounded for a moment there, and realized that it indeed sounded quite so different from any electric out there. It was more like a sitar or what's that thing that Joey Ayala plays...

There...if and when I learn to like that sound and find a use for it, it's one way of sounding not so like anyone else with their ibanezes or Gibsons or Fenders :D .

Right now, I use it as a feedbacker...I switch it on to make tons of feedback, specially when fed to a gain device.

Just try something crazy...something stupid by conventional standards. One might stumble on something. Like play an amp with unmatched tubes.   Or stick magnets to the back of your pickups. Or stick a small button microphone inside the guitar cavity. Use zener diodes for your pedal's clipping stage. Or use a varicap across a pedal's output. I dunno...but the things we think of as normal now were absurd a few years back. Like Les Paul and his humbucker were frowned upon initially. Like the solid electric body got tremendous resistance and thats why luthiers had to pass through transition guitars like the ES335.

Sky's the limit !
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline Santo Muerte

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 02:32:06 AM »
If you don't want to sound like anybody else, you can either play totally [gooey brown stuff] guitar or don't play at all.

Offline renz_sui

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 11:54:59 AM »
Get more influences. Hindi lang nagtatapos ang pagtugtog ng gitara sa blues/rock/funk.

Offline fourth_cycle

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: 'HOW TO NOT SOUND LIKE ANYBODY ELSE'
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 09:52:51 PM »
dapat versatile..at lawak ng perspective mo sa lahat ng genre ng music...

william251082

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 10:45:59 PM »
Play what YOU want, not what other people like you to!

Offline samuelfianza

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 10:51:13 PM »
Play jazz with a distortion.

Offline fusionenigma

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 12:53:38 AM »

Play metal without distortion
"One thing I like about jazz is that it emphasized doing things differently from what other people were doing." Herbie Hancock

william251082

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 01:39:20 AM »
That isn't really anything new, check out Mike Stern, John Scofield, Ulf Wakenius etc.

Play metal without distortion
That's what's new!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 01:41:09 AM by william251082 »

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 05:10:51 AM »
1. know what sound you like;
2. listen...
3. try to adapt that style... practice,
4. try to apply that style to your music;
5. ako? still learning pero alam ko na sound na gusto ko  :-D

daling sabihin hirap gawin  :lol:

Offline v00doochi1d

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 07:07:52 AM »
dapat versatile..at lawak ng perspective mo sa lahat ng genre ng music...
  agree ako dito.... more of an open minded and listen not only into one particular style or genre...  :mrgreen:

Offline shredmaestrobri

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 08:50:38 AM »
Play what YOU want, not what other people like you to!

True!

Offline bluebossa

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 01:16:30 PM »
si Wayne Krantz pala nagsulat ng article. favorite ko yan eh... May sarili talagang tunog.

Offline cumbersome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 10:40:01 PM »
Learn the rules, and be deliberate. By knowing the standards, one can make a conscious deviation from what is trite and rehashed; by being deliberate, the deviation becomes directed. But only within the bounds of musical enjoyment; even the search for one's own voice can get in the way of fulfillment.

Offline caloy the man

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 11:25:04 PM »
mahirap talaga maiwasan na hindi ka maging katunog ng iba, lalo na kapag parehas kayo ng style ng tugtugan.. pero para sakin kahit sobrang parehas na talaga kayo ng tunog, ay may pagkakaiba pa din kahit konti.. at dun sa "konti" mo na yun malalaman kung paano ka magiging unique..  :mrgreen:
"Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel." - Jimi Hendrix

william251082

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2010, 01:26:41 AM »
It takes a lifetime to play like yourself...
-Miles Davis

So dun sa mga feeling magaling, those guys are so lost :evil:

Offline deewantoy_11

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2010, 03:36:23 AM »
If you don't want to sound like anybody else, you can either play totally [gooey brown stuff] guitar or don't play at all.
+1

may katunog ka pa rin. Akala ko si EVH yung nagsolo dun sa Top Gun theme song. Di pala sya. Katunog nya eh.

Siguro gawa ka instrument. Na may 3,4, 30? :? set of key. :lol:

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2010, 06:37:51 AM »
togs lang ng togs basta happy  :lol:

kaya ako nagkahilig sa gitarista dahil sa mga songs na gusto kong tugtugin, ma-build up naman s'tin yung sariling style,
sa mga favorite licks/riffs.

gusto ko parehas na nag co-cover at mag improvise, habang buhay kong build up yung character ko as a gitarista/musikero :lol:

Offline kimBuhain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2010, 09:47:56 AM »
technically,mahirap na magkaroon ng sariling style these days,lahat ng nota napindot na,. the best thing you can do is too stay away na lang to sound like anybody else,.

Offline rolexm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2010, 03:28:58 PM »
Nice topic. We try to sound like our idols but then we still want to sound like ourselves. LOL.

Offline red_hot

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2010, 03:39:37 PM »
don't imitate and try to discover your own sound without pressure!!!
God Of Sin

"Evolution of Dime"   Mic Foam For Sale http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,227373.0.html

Offline soundgardener75

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2010, 03:56:26 PM »
Totoo ngang mahirap maging original kasi ang daming ways para mag-improve sa gitara na hindi natin matututunan.

I guess the best way is to play what we know the best way possible and have fun doing it. Sa personal experience, kita daw naman ang mga influences ko, pero at the same time nandun ang originality. That was the best compliment ever na nakuha ko.

Offline firewaterjem

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2010, 04:12:02 PM »

two or more bottles of redhorse and off you go...   :mrgreen:

Offline Musikerochan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2010, 04:57:47 PM »
the key here is consistency. mahirap makakuha ng signature tone kasi we are all playing the same instrument after all. to get a fairly unique tone, you have to be consistent sa gagamitin mong tunog. say, using an octave ringer > delay > flange AT ALL TIMES. ayan, for sure you wont sound like anybody that way.

problema na lang is if you could stand YOUR tone. :lol:

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2010, 05:09:50 PM »
the key here is consistency. mahirap makakuha ng signature tone kasi we are all playing the same instrument after all. to get a fairly unique tone, you have to be consistent sa gagamitin mong tunog. say, using an octave ringer > delay > flange AT ALL TIMES. ayan, for sure you wont sound like anybody that way.

problema na lang is if you could stand YOUR tone. :lol:

consistency din ng tone sa recorded version sa live version, yung tipong kahit di pa nakikita pero pag nadinig... uy! si _______ yun ah!
astig  :lol: