hulika

Author Topic: What made Sitti so popular?  (Read 48911 times)

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
What made Sitti so popular?
« on: October 26, 2006, 12:50:37 PM »
To be dubbed "Queen of Bossa" is something to be taken seriously.  Her success in the business is so phenomanal that most clueless listeners get turned on to Bossa Nova even though there are people in the business who are far more entitled to being the title Sitti is getting.

There is an ongoing quarrel at the pinoyjazz Yahoo mailing list so I just wanted to know how you guys think.  I thnk I like Nyco Maca much better.

Offline frogfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: What made Sitti so popular?
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 01:18:20 PM »
Sitti? Ha! No way. For me Flora Purim and Astrud Gilberto are the meter stick to which a bossa nova singer must be measured. IMO.
"Competition is for horses, not artists." - Bela Bartok

"I don’t like to look back, because the whole point in jazz is doing it now." - Scott LaFaro

Offline ihatethursday

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 01:52:50 PM »
To be dubbed "Queen of Bossa" is something to be taken seriously.  Her success in the business is so phenomanal that most clueless listeners get turned on to Bossa Nova even though there are people in the business who are far more entitled to being the title Sitti is getting.

There is an ongoing quarrel at the pinoyjazz Yahoo mailing list so I just wanted to know how you guys think.  I thnk I like Nyco Maca much better.

mas magaling kasi yung pagpromote kay Sitti compared to the others.

Offline jazhombie

• Board Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 02:00:35 PM »

mas magaling kasi yung pagpromote kay Sitti compared to the others.
  yep i agree, promo magaling! at least jazz is on the radio these days! :lol: :-D

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 03:58:37 PM »
I think it's not so much the singer, but the songs ..

If you look at her album list, it's got a pretty good mix of easy-listening pop tunes that sound catchy, but haven't been enjoying airplay lately. So, there's that 'nostalgic' appeal.. And of course, add to that the 'bossa' touch ..

So, there's that feeling of: 'hey, I know that song, but it sounds different! Who is it?'

Not sure if it's a good comparison, but it could probably the same formula that propelled Nina's 'Live' album to the top of the charts not too long ago.

Bossa nova has definitely been around for a long time. So many unknowns who can probably do it ten times better have all but vanished into oblivion..
"No static at all ..."

Offline kahel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 05:22:55 PM »

:-D
sitti s voice is so thin that it sounds like a cihip and dale anime voice but still in tuned, and her back up musicians are great, but the punch line is her beauty :mrgreen: hehehehe ganda ni sitti at seksi  kaya sikat
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 05:24:48 PM by kahel »

Offline frogfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 10:02:48 PM »
Bossa nova has definitely been around for a long time. So many unknowns who can probably do it ten times better have all but vanished into oblivion..

Yeah, and the marketing leverage really got her on the spot. Oh well, that's the Philippine Music Biz for you.  :-P

"I don’t like to look back, because the whole point in jazz is doing it now." - Scott LaFaro

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 11:30:32 PM »
Well, yes, the marketing leverage definitely helped but ..

I do believe that its the songs themselves that 'sold' the album.

And in fairness to Sitti, she's also 'paid her dues' as a gigging musician. For quite some time, I do believe she was one of the regulars at the Stone House cafe/grill before she became a household name.

So, whatever success she's reaping now, she's definitely earned it well.
"No static at all ..."

Offline frogfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 08:27:53 AM »
Every musician must go through that rite of passage: seemingly endless gigs, etcetera.

I guess we have to give her that: She paid her dues somehow.

I know that it's already been mentioned but let me say that probably the reason why she's dubbed as such (Queen) is because she's the only one doing it. Regardless of whom comes next from then on it's undeniable that she's the first in this period of time.

So, I dub thee Queen Sitti.  :-D

Offline xavier

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 11:11:35 AM »
Hehe, diba si Agot Isidro din nakiki-bossa?  :lol:

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2006, 01:11:23 PM »

Bket ngayon lang to lumabas... she will provide the entertainment in my upcoming wedding reception :-D

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2006, 08:49:37 AM »

Like who, Eileen Sison?
The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2006, 12:48:48 PM »

Well...
Sitti is popular with D'Masang Pipol because they sense that she's a beautiful human being. That's why they adore her.

That's why WE adore her.

c",)
<3 Love is the absence of fear. Fear none. Love all. <3

Offline toybitz

• Board Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2006, 03:51:24 PM »
i sessioned on drums last monday for Fair Ground at Stone House...Sitti was there.  Took pics of her with my girlfriend.  She was very accommodating and friendly.  I told her I gave Ronna (gf) her album as an Anniv present last Aug. 29 and she really appreciated.

If you've heard Agot's rendition of ONL's "Umuwi Ka Na Baby", I'm sure uuwi nga talaga yun...

mga kaluluwang natahimik na dahil naistorbo sila ulit.

OT

What ever happened to the Ugoy Ugoy band?

Oh, and welcome Aya.  :-D
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2006, 10:57:42 PM »
Hi din po. =)

Well... if Sitti is currently "The Queen of Bossa", i'm her knight in shining armor. A knight in service of the queen. Guess that's been kinda obvious over on Pinoy Jazz.

I've always been very protective of friends, family and loved ones.

Sitti's one of the good guys/gals.

Love and peace to all.
c",)

Offline mahavishnu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2006, 05:19:51 AM »
Hi din po. =)

Well... if Sitti is currently "The Queen of Bossa", i'm her knight in shining armor. A knight in service of the queen. Guess that's been kinda obvious over on Pinoy Jazz.

I've always been very protective of friends, family and loved ones.

Sitti's one of the good guys/gals.

Love and peace to all.
c",)

so i guess pde na kayo tawagin "sir" hehe!  :mrgreen: i will be bugging you pag sweldo ko aya  :-D

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2006, 02:49:44 PM »
Hahahahahahaha! =D

Sabagay....
:-)

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2006, 12:30:18 AM »
What ever happened to the Ugoy Ugoy band?

I loved Ugoy Ugoy but it must've been expensive keeping that band together because of all the players. In the meantime Lynn Sherman is trying to make it as a soloist. But of course Lynn wasn't what made the band truly special it was all those amazing horns.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 12:40:01 AM by JimAyson »
Check out the PhilMusic Facebook Page! "Like" us now!

http://facebook.com/philmusic.dotcom

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2006, 12:38:22 AM »

So do I actually. But authenticity and soul isn't what necessarily sells to the masses - Sitti is light, sachharine, reasonably attractive, easy to digest, and the selection of familiar easy listening pop tunes set to a light samba beat sells a lot of coffee when they start playing it at Seattle's Best. Nyco Maca and Eileen of Guarana are closer to the real thing but maybe the fact that they can sing in Portugese and are backed by bitchin' brazillian percussion ensembles (cuicas, agogos, samba whistles, the whole ball of Uly Abante type wax) doesn't impress the average joe. But I know that Nyco Maca knocked me out the first time I heard her live.

Sitti is a packet of Equal. Nyco is a line of cocaine.

Check out the PhilMusic Facebook Page! "Like" us now!

http://facebook.com/philmusic.dotcom

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2006, 11:27:00 AM »
Fair enough, Jim. :-)

To each his/her own. :-)

Offline spilledmilk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2006, 02:54:19 PM »
i think ,us, pinoys just have this thing on dubbing anyone "queen of..", "king of...", "prince of..." or "....princess"

i don't know a lot of details about what "pure" bossa is...pero i like her album. gusto ko yung mabilis yung salita na parang latino hehehe

Gibson SG Standard Silverburst
Siochi Custom Lead GT 50 Watt Head
Matching 2x12 Cab with Vintage 30s

Offline Boddhisattva

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2006, 04:37:47 PM »
Fair enough, Jim. :-)

To each his/her own. :-)

Just like me not knowing how come some people look for a P15,000 wine when a P300 wine suits me fine..   
:-)

- bod, wenmedia or just plain wendel
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 04:44:11 PM by Boddhisattva »
Give it all you\'ve got, but slowly - Chuck Mangione

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2006, 11:31:54 AM »
Caught Sitti's Eastwood gig last night.

Pretty good performance. Nice moments of phrasing on Sitti's part. And she sang in tune the whole night. This despite being hella tired. (Ahhh... the price of fame... weariness)

She's grown quite a bit since making Cafe Bossa.

While most of these Sitti clones are just "some chicks" to me, Sitti herself ain't.

Don't know about you guys but to this dawg, she's ayt.

c",)

Offline kahel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2006, 05:50:46 PM »
Caught Sitti's Eastwood gig last night.

Pretty good performance. Nice moments of phrasing on Sitti's part. And she sang in tune the whole night. This despite being hella tired. (Ahhh... the price of fame... weariness)

She's grown quite a bit since making Cafe Bossa.

While most of these Sitti clones are just "some chicks" to me, Sitti herself ain't.

Don't know about you guys but to this dawg, she's ayt.

c",)

sir OT lang po       Kailan gig nyo ni Mishka? kakamis na talaga at saan , yung second album sana may tagalog song na parang kay Sitti  :mrgreen: