hulika

Author Topic: the difference of a DJ and sound operator...  (Read 8861 times)

Offline dualcoil

the difference of a DJ and sound operator...
« on: July 20, 2008, 01:24:39 PM »
 :-D

ie guys.. gusto ko lang malinaw ang pinag kaibahan ng dj sa sound operator..

ok first a dj is a master of mixing beat and has a technique to scratch some chicks voice.. hehe.. and know how  to enter a beat groove for continues songs..

sa sound operator.. he/she is just mixing a songs from first to last then another song from first to last and listening to the quality of sound coming out from the speakers..

and a dj alwayz have a turntable or other dj gears for continues songs..

a sound operator always have a full hi-end mixers and equalizer for mics and setting sound quality output.. most of this operators are in a studio or in a live band concert..

anyway parehas lang naman sila if they managing a sound system,,

but, they have a different talents when operating a sound system.

the dj always have a talent to beatmach music and scratch some songs for continues music and add some groove for the party peoples..

a sound operator.. alwayz have a full attention and focus to the most clarify sound that he/she can hear coming out from the speakers.. and know how to manage any KHZ or Hz on his EQ.

thats the difference of them..  you can add some difference if you want,.. sorry for the post. i have edited na for more clarifications.  :wink:
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 02:56:17 AM by dualcoil »
Reyzuna!!!

Offline loudchild

Re: the difference of a DJ and sound operator...
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 06:42:50 AM »
so pag Dj kailangan turntable? e paano yung mga bagong labas na CDJ and yung mga digital midi controllers that emulate the feel of using a Tb? dont get me wrong bro galing din ako sa turntable and iba yung feel ng vinyl sa kamay but i switched to digital when i went back to Djing earlier last year kasi una, ang mahal at hirap bumili ng plaka dito. true you can always get a serrato  or mixvibe kaso mahal pa din. ryt now my gear includes a numark total control and a laptop kasi convinient para sa akin who works with a mobile. yoko magdala ng madaming Cd and di ko gaanong gamay yung CDJ kasi di naman ako nakagamit nun ng matagal. Yung mga turntable ko nabenta ko na pero pag scratching mas preferred ko nga Tb kasi ang hirap magscratch sa total control walang curve and masyado maliit.

Offline dualcoil

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 12:26:39 PM »
so pag Dj kailangan turntable? e paano yung mga bagong labas na CDJ and yung mga digital midi controllers that emulate the feel of using a Tb? dont get me wrong bro galing din ako sa turntable and iba yung feel ng vinyl sa kamay but i switched to digital when i went back to Djing earlier last year kasi una, ang mahal at hirap bumili ng plaka dito. true you can always get a serrato  or mixvibe kaso mahal pa din. ryt now my gear includes a numark total control and a laptop kasi convinient para sa akin who works with a mobile. yoko magdala ng madaming Cd and di ko gaanong gamay yung CDJ kasi di naman ako nakagamit nun ng matagal. Yung mga turntable ko nabenta ko na pero pag scratching mas preferred ko nga Tb kasi ang hirap magscratch sa total control walang curve and masyado maliit.

tnx for the comment.  if you have gears for mixing music, even thou it is not a Vinyl. its also could be a DJ,.. only people will judge you,

even you've compared the two gears.. the cdj and vinyl turntables.. and asking other people around your place about  the gears,. your going to have a 90% dj look from the vinyl and 50% look at a cdj..

even me. i dont have turntable vinyl right now. but i have a virtual dj program in my computer. and when i do gigs.. i always hear from people say. "ow, look that guy is a sound operator".. his in the sound gear.. but when i mix and scratch from my virtual dj and everyone hears it.. then  they would say, "hey that guy is an awsome dj look he can scratch and mix from his system gear.. always make the crowd go wild, thats more important when becoming a dj.. but i'm not that good enough to be a dj.. i always let people judge me..

but.. if you use a vinyl turntables.. even thou you only doing a simple mix.. and other people far from you.. they would say at first glance on your dj setup..

"look there's a dj mixing live.." even when you're just standing around on your two vinyls.

and dont get it wrong. turntables are quick to find.. in the markets.. they have upgraded their turntables. into USB turntables.. that  connect into PCs and use  a virtual software or serato.. the vinyl coming from the package or timecoded vinyls for your USB  turntable will be your primary Vinyl. and you don't have to change the vinyl everytime you're changing  musics.. you just have to upload your mp3 from your software.. you have the same turntables nothing change from the orig. except for its interface and capability,, but some usb turntables don't have that kind of capability, they just record streams from your timecoded vinyls..

soon i'm going to have those USB turntables..

dj use to have a technique in scratching sound effects of voices.. it will be 100% total control of your scratch in a 12"vinyl coz you can see whats going on, on your vinyl.. but you can also scratch on a CDJ, there are posible time than you can't do scratch techniques that a turntable vinyl can..
this is a matter of dj element..  to have technique to scratch good.. you can always do a quick and easy mix on a CDJ coz of SYNC program.. while in vinyls you have to manually do that..

so there you have my answer.. on why turntables are always true dj look.. but don't be sure.. even you have a USB turntable.. and you are not good at mixing musica and make the crowd feel the good vibrations, then somebody would say "Holy Crap that guy mix like a egg yolk!!" if you know what im talking about hehe.. and be sure that you've always make the crowd, party all night long..

ok for more info. about the USB or ORdinary vinyl turntable VS CDJ here is a site that you might want to watch..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4ZrMe6d5QQ

whatch all of this guy's video and you will learn about some of the dj toturials..

also watch or listen to my own virtual dj mix
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5PaNL-bYow
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 02:38:13 AM by dualcoil »
Reyzuna!!!

Offline d6ynast9y

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 07:36:17 PM »
tnx for the comment sir. but don't get it wrong.. if you have a gear for music mix.. even its not a Vynil. its also could be a DJ, if.. you can mix and scratch like a dj.

you can not be sure your a dj by your self if you can't mix right, even you have a full high dj gear set up..

and one more thing.. even you compare for the two gear.. the cdj and vynil turntable.. and asking other people around your place.. and ask bout  the gear,. your going to have a 90% dj look from the vynil and 50% look at a cdj..

even me. i dont have right now a turntable vynil. but i have a virtual dj program in my computer. and when i have a gig.. i always hear from people say. "ow, look that guy is a sound operator".. his in the sound gear.. but when i mix and scratch from my virtual dj. and everyone hears it.. then  they wouls say "hey that guy is an awsome dj look he can scratch and mix from his system gear..

but.. if you are using a vynil turntable.. even your only doing a simple mix.. and other peaple far from you.. they would say at first glance on your dj setup..

"look there's a dj mixing live.." even when you are just standing around on your two vynil.

and dont get it wrong. turntables are quick to find.. in the market.. they have upgraded thier turntables. into a USB turntables.. that can connect into PCs and use to a virtual turntable.. you dont need a vynil coz. the vynil coming from the package of your USB  turntable will be your primary Vynil. and you dont have to change the vynil every time you change your music.. you just have to upload your mp3 from your software and there.. you have the same turntable nothing change from the orig. except for its interface and capability,,

soon i'm going to have those USB turntables..

and if you are a true dj.. dj use to have a technique in scratch a sound effect of voice.. you will be 100% total control of your scratch in a 12"vynil coz you can see whats going on, on your vynil.. but you can also scratch on a CDJ but there are posible time than you cant do a scratch technique that a turntable vynil can..
this is a matter of dj element.. is to have a technique to scratch good.. you can always do a quick and easy mix on a CDJ coz of SYNC program.. while in vynil. you have to manually do that..

so there you have my answer.. on why the turntables are always be the true look dj.. but dont be sure.. even you have a USB turntable.. and you are not good at mixing music. then somebody will say to you "Holy Crap that guy mix like a egg yolk!!" if you know what im talking hehe..

ok for more info. about the USB or ORdinary vynil turntable VS CDJ here is a site that you might want to watch..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4ZrMe6d5QQ

whatch all of this guy's video and you will learn about some of the dj toturials..

also watch or listen to my own virtual dj mix
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5PaNL-bYow

i think by usb turntables ur talking about dj midi controllers?

theres alot of discussions now on using dj midi controllers, mostly dj's that use real turntables n vinyls cant accept that fact that anyone can grab a dj controller, and mix, without learning all the basic and real dj techniques like beat matching and the like.  because of the advancement of technology, these controllers make djing as easy as pushing a button.. 

but....in my opinion, what really matters is the final mix? no matter what you use.  i guess in the end, what counts is who can make more people dance..

btw, i think CDJ's and vinyls are more similar to each other than a dj midi controller(usb turntables)..

sorry if i dont make sense at times,, i just had to reply.. :-D

Offline loudchild

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 03:10:14 PM »
^^^

bro ung usb turntable that the other guy is refering to are the ones that uses timecoded vinyls or sa cdj naman yung timecoded cd examples are serrato and mixvibe. yung midi controller are not exactly turntables. example of which are the numark total control. mas mahirap gumamit nung turntable kahit sabihin na combo na sya ng software and hardware.

Offline d6ynast9y

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 11:57:00 PM »
^^^

bro ung usb turntable that the other guy is refering to are the ones that uses timecoded vinyls or sa cdj naman yung timecoded cd examples are serrato and mixvibe. yung midi controller are not exactly turntables. example of which are the numark total control. mas mahirap gumamit nung turntable kahit sabihin na combo na sya ng software and hardware.

haha, ganun ba?
hes kind of hard to understand eh..hehe

Offline loudchild

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 09:27:24 AM »
pero actually meron talaga mga usb turntable. Eto yung mga ginagamit  to convert and record yung mga plaka to midi and mp3 format. However that was not the context that it was used on dualcoil's posts.

Offline dualcoil

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 02:19:04 PM »
pero actually meron talaga mga usb turntable. Eto yung mga ginagamit  to convert and record yung mga plaka to midi and mp3 format. However that was not the context that it was used on dualcoil's posts.

hehe sorry talaga sa message ko ha.. diba ang usapan dito ngayon is if turntables are still what we call a true dj gear.. or the deference about the turntables and any mixing gears.. for a dj to look and perform as a dj.. kung sino ang mas mukang dj talaga sa panlabas na itsura.. but in the end.. a true dj can only be a dj if he can mix a songs and perform  a better mix to everyone..
Reyzuna!!!

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 02:50:39 PM »
 :?

sandali ha, medyo sumakit ulo ko. basahin ko na lang ulit mamaya yung buong thread

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 04:02:28 PM »
tunog ingles... pero ba't ganun? 'di ko maintindihan? :-)
============
Marvin Querido
http://www.facebook.com/MVQMusic ============

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 04:30:39 PM »
eto na lang basahin nyo kesa dito sa thread na to hehehe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_jockey
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 04:37:24 PM »
ok lets summarize, according to dualcoil:

1. kapag dj kaya mag scratch, yung sound operator hindi kaya
2. kapag hindi ka gumagamit ng turntable, hindi ka mukang dj kaya hindi ka dj

that's all you have to say dude, took me 6 readings to get the gist of this thread  :|

i tried to gizoogle the first post but even gizoogle cant translate it  :-D
http://www.gizoogle.com

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 09:35:04 AM »
sa 13 years ko nagmobile noon walang tumawag sa kin na sound operator o technician. kahit na live sound (may banda) ang requirement sa min e "mamang dj" pa rin tawag sa kin nung mga manong at manang, bata, babae, lalaki, [pichapie] o tomboy. kapag live sound wala pa kaming dalang turntable nun kasi denon na lang palagi para magaan. you can say that i really dont get it.

Offline loudchild

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2008, 02:20:00 PM »
the problem is we stop growing if  we puy ourselves in a box---- sana yan maintindihan ng mga tao para mas sumigla ang music scene natin. Wag mo ikahon ang mga bagay sa iisang definition lang

Offline dualcoil

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 02:43:42 AM »
sorry for my incorrect grammars and incorrect spellings.. there are some reasons why i have done that.. hehe. but i've edited some of my post.. so feel free to read it again.. sya nga pala..

a dj always make the crowd party all night to the break of dawn.. hehe

sound operator.. hmm.. let say his just sitting and listening from the sound quality coming out from the speakers.. hehe. :wink:
Reyzuna!!!

Offline dualcoil

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2008, 02:57:50 AM »

ok first a dj is a master of mixing beat and has a technique to scratch some chicks voice.. hehe.. and know how  to enter a beat groove for continues songs..

sa sound operator.. he/she is just mixing a songs from first to last then another song from first to last and listening to the quality of sound coming out from the speakers..

a sound operator always have a full hi-end mixers and equalizer for mics and setting sound quality output.. most of this operators are in a studio or in a live band concert..

the dj always have a talent to beatmach music and scratch some songs for continues music and add some groove for the party peoples..

a sound operator.. alwayz have a full attention and focus to the most clarify sound that he/she can hear coming out from the speakers.. and know how to manage any KHZ or Hz on his EQ.

thats the difference of them..  you can add some difference if you want,.. sorry for the post. i have edited na for more clarifications. 
 :-D :-) :lol: :wink:
Reyzuna!!!

Offline constipation

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2010, 03:51:09 AM »

thats the difference of them..  you can add some difference if you want,.. sorry for the post. i have edited na for more clarifications. 

LANGYA BRAD TAGALUGIN MO NALANG :lol:

Offline kalasagnibajula

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 06:23:35 AM »

arg.  :x tagalog na lang.