hulika

Author Topic: Lets see those HI-HATs!  (Read 12146 times)

Online Akira JUMBO

• good vibrations
Lets see those HI-HATs!
« on: May 19, 2007, 11:11:36 PM »
Guys for reference and to help our fellow drummers get an impression of the different HiHat's available today, could you please post your personal description/impression of your personal hi-hat or hi-hat's that you have used for quite some time in terms of chick, stick definition, closed sound, open sound .etc  :lol:

Expound on how how you hear them, different characteristics and traits, for what genre you think they suit best and any additional details you might want to describe them..let us interact and see if we have the same impressions (even though manufacturers claim no 2 cast cymbals are the same :-D)

Tip lang..if you could HIGHLIGHT or put in BOLD the type of cymbal to easily identify it so much the better.. :lol:

Hope this helps..

I have intentionally separated the Ride, Crash, and Hi hat description thread for reference purposes to be organized that our fellow members can go directly to the cymbal that they are interested in getting an impression from rather than just one thread with mixed information for the 3 basic cymbals of the drum set. I hope this is fine with you.. :lol:

UPDATE: I have edited this thread to be a picture database for Hihat cymbals as well for those who wish to share them please do post away.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 08:21:48 AM by Akira JUMBO »
DRUM.ROOM drum items for sale click here

Offline cs_mapper

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: *your HiHat description thread*
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 01:17:23 AM »
old school hear.....new beats zildjian hi-hats....still the best and most
flexible sounding hi-hat cymbals afaic.

Offline jpmb

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 03:25:21 PM »
sabian 13aax fusion hats....man i fell in love with this hats...very good hats not only on live purposes but on recordings too..aax fusion hats has been our best seller hats here...enough said you just need to hear it..hehehe

Offline jun_BALARAW

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 05:36:37 AM »
sabian 13aax fusion hats....man i fell in love with this hats...very good hats not only on live purposes but on recordings too..aax fusion hats has been our best seller hats here...enough said you just need to hear it..hehehe
yeah tama si JP... astig yang hats na yan.. sayang nebenta ko na yung akin...
PEACE.... PEACE.... PEACE.... PEACE....

Offline Gep

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 05:59:53 AM »
Zildjian 15" New Beat hihats - everything here is a lot bigger, not just the size. You can produce a bigger, beefier sound and you have a bigger area to play around. The sound is quite darker than the regular 14", and some comment that when hit fully open, it can sound like riding a crash.

However, there are some drawbacks about the size. Being bigger means heavier hats, and more difficult control. To achieve that barking sound ("psssst!") is quite a chore. And when it is hit tightly closed, it sounds like it isn't tightly closed at all.

If you have a flimsy hihat stand, forget about using this.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 06:15:18 AM by Gep »

Offline Miggleness

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 12:59:33 AM »
Meron sa Drummerworld bumili ng Istanbul thin hats....sobrang swabe ng tunog.  Sobrang nipis ng tunog, hindi tunog bakal.. ang linis!

Offline jpmb

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 10:50:07 AM »
i forgot to mention..i've noticed that most recording engineers wnats the aax 13 fusion hats...they find it easy to mix on recordings...i was able to use mine during my band's recording in 2005... :wink:

Offline Diadem

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 11:05:00 AM »
12" avedis special recording hats...

very special during recordings.. it has a maintained smooth volume.. dry sound...

Offline bangbus

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 10:56:55 PM »
13" Zildjian A Custom Mastersound

Zildjian site says:

Featuring the same crisp, rich and colorful sounds associated with the A Custom range, but with a bolder and full-bodied overall sound. Hammered grooves in the bottom cymbal rapidly vent trapped air for a fast and clear "chick" sound.

I say:

based on my humble experience and opionion; comparing it with other hihats i've used (im not gona mention the models coz u might hate me for it): the sound is bright, not muffled, non-dull, doesnt sound like a clunky piece of branded metal; controlled volume depending on your dynamics and not scattered everywhere once hit unlike the 14 a custom mastersound, chick is clean, clear, non-dull coz of stick definition, and this is still apparent even when the hats are tightly closed; the sizzle when driven open gives a clean, modulated tone, non-dull. in short it retains its brightness in all ways it's hit. i think it goes well with rock, pop, rnb, samba, etc. jazz? i dont think so, well as far as im concerned, i dont do jazz anyway, too hard and i cant be bothered.  :-)

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 11:55:13 AM »
14" Istanbul Mehmet Traditional Regular

Dry and washy. Low "chick" definition. Very soft-sounding. Additional effort on the left foot is necessary to control chick. Great-sounding slosh if played open.

Probably great for Jazz (I'd say it's comparable to K Cons), but think twice if you're going to use it for rock. I personally like it for rock because of the subtle chick and great wash... plus, it makes me sound different.
400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html

Online Akira JUMBO

• good vibrations
Re: HiHat description and picture thread
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 07:02:56 AM »
UPDATED as picture thread also  :-D

Offline vdonati_fan

• Forum Fanatic
14" Zildjian K Custom Session Hi-hats
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2007, 07:55:59 AM »
let me start with it bro...this is my personal description of the hats, nothing technical, all layman's term..

14" Zildjian K Custom Session Hi-hats

Steve Gadd helped design these hats.
clean sounding hats. as a drummer, i don't hear that much chick from it but when i listened to it when someone else was playing it, that's where i can hear it. it sounds better as an audience. the hats are good for mic-ins. you'd appreciate the sound of the hats more if you have a mic into it and have your own monitor so you could hear the smallest detail of your sticking.

as what Akira_JUMBO told me, it's good for recordings which does make sense since recording studios have mic-ins on their kits.

the hats sound really good with foot work. i can imagine why...since Steve Gadd really uses alot of foot work in his grooves.

"Praise Him with drums and dancing...Praise Him with cymbals. Praise Him with loud cymbals."- Psalms 150:4-5

Online Akira JUMBO

• good vibrations
Re: Lets see those HI-HATs! and description thread
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 08:27:08 PM »
Just reviving our threads for those who might want to share.  :lol:

Offline tambolista

Re: Lets see those HI-HATs!
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 05:32:25 PM »
Here's mine  :-D

Zildjian 14" Rock hihats
I've been using this since I was in college and I really fell in love with it's sound. I play rock alternative and the hihat just fits the sound i'm looking for. Not to bright and I like it more when it's open because of it's sustain and thrashy sound. :)

Offline phfreq

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2008, 02:11:07 PM »
share ko lang po. used na hihats. tunog nya is dark na medyo bright pero warm pa rin.. labo no? hehe he...

side by side, outside

side by side, inside

top hat, inside

bottom hat, inside

Offline NATSBRATS

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 08:57:41 PM »
i have a zildjian 13" a custom hi-hat. very verdatile and beautiful hi-hat. the only down side is ang pangit ng tunog pagmadiin masyado yung apak sa pedal. hindi ko alam maglagay ng pic... sencya na.... he he.... :P

Offline wipeout

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2008, 09:55:53 PM »
I used to have that 13" A custom hihat, same as what you have observed so I traded it with a K custom Dark hihat and choose a good pair before I bought it.  Right now my favorite hats is 13" Sabian HHX evolution hihat, the best i've tried so far!

Offline jcberedo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2009, 06:09:08 AM »

90s Z-custom 13" hats star hammered. Fast, bright, and loud. Good fast colorful response. Others say: Crisp, clean, bright, and defined. Loud but not too loud. Nice sharp, tight tone when played closed, awesome bright, cutting tone when played open.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 06:18:33 AM by jcberedo »
O' Baterista, R.N. - retired for now

Offline sjon014

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2009, 06:23:11 AM »
Wow! Star-stamped Z-Zildjians! :lol: Mga long-dead brothers ng favourite nating Dyno Beat. :-D
Pinoydrums Lanyard - North distribution THIS SUNDAY, 2PM, TMS Alimall!
http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,148425.msg1983008.html#msg1983008

Offline plitipiw40315

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 10:12:21 AM »
yey, post din ako pics dito :-D
13" K custom dark hats(both top)

hindi ko alam i-describe ang sound, basta mas maganda sa planet-Z period..hehe
...drummers are good ROLL models...

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2009, 10:19:35 AM »