hulika

Author Topic: Bareknuckle Pickups  (Read 4067 times)

Offline marcus_gloom

• Forum Fanatic
Bareknuckle Pickups
« on: May 02, 2017, 12:42:26 PM »
Are they really worth the price? Ive this beloved MIM strat that i want to spruce up. The Barekuckle sets are worth upwards of 10 thou. Any comments, reviews and inputs are welcome!

Offline iamppej

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Bareknuckle Pickups
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 12:52:58 PM »
Are they really worth the price? Ive this beloved MIM strat that i want to spruce up. The Barekuckle sets are worth upwards of 10 thou. Any comments, reviews and inputs are welcome!

yup they are worth it. ung guitarist ng sirens nung nag pa set up sya yan ginamit nyang p.u. napakagnda ng tunog. parang anghel na kumakanta. kahit anong genre kaya nyang tugtugan.
If there is no music there is no life!  Just like If there is no GOD there is no LIFE!

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 07:00:10 PM »

yup they are worth it. ung guitarist ng sirens nung nag pa set up sya yan ginamit nyang p.u. napakagnda ng tunog. parang anghel na kumakanta. kahit anong genre kaya nyang tugtugan.

+1 for this but... maybe not worth it on a MIM.  Also, I prefer Bareknuckle humbuckers over their single coils. 

I was the first guy in the whole Philippines to own and use Bareknuckles.  I have owned a lot of the humbuckers and still have several of them.  That being said, they will sound bad if the wood of your guitar sounds bad. 

Trivia what was the first pickup ordered by a Filipino from Bareknuckles?  A Black Colored (Covered) Miracle Man in F Spacing. 

Offline changedmynametojimi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 08:03:02 PM »
+1 for this but... maybe not worth it on a MIM.  Also, I prefer Bareknuckle humbuckers over their single coils. 

I was the first guy in the whole Philippines to own and use Bareknuckles.  I have owned a lot of the humbuckers and still have several of them.  That being said, they will sound bad if the wood of your guitar sounds bad. 

Trivia what was the first pickup ordered by a Filipino from Bareknuckles?  A Black Colored (Covered) Miracle Man in F Spacing.

I kinda agree, the BKP Emerald + RiffRaff Neck sounded different when it was on my GIbson SG, compared to when it was in my friend's Epi SG 400.  I am now using their Piledriver on a Tele hehehe.

Offline marcus_gloom

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 08:17:31 PM »
I've read on some foreign forum that BKPs sounded great on a squier. Its good to know pinoys are now more exposed to the company (thanks to the pioneer! :-D). Strat pickups are easily "transplantable" naman, I think i will give it a try.

Offline juwanfidle09

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 10:56:23 PM »
Yes they are. Nailbombs yung gamit ko ngayon and comparing it sa ibang pickups na meron ako sa ibang guitars (SD blackouts, SD JB clones, Suhr 7-Hot and Artec HBs), sobrang layo ng tunog mapa-recording at live. :)

Offline dewberry

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 02:44:01 PM »
BKP HolyDiver sa akin and so far sooo good.

Offline throwinshapes

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 04:52:24 PM »
Currently have Trilogy Suite (n), Irish Tour (m), and Crawler (b) on my Chapman ML-1. Love this pickup set - modern sounding, punchy, and really clear. Chord definition even under high gain is ridiculously good. It was expensive and took me months to complete the set, but I think it's a good investment in the long run. Just be sure that you do your research really well for the guitar/s that the pickups are going in.

Offline Screamous

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 04:42:47 PM »
I'm planning to replace the pick ups on my Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top Pro, since the pick up poles are rusty,.

thing is will the BKP will sound good on an Epi LP?
Masters are once an apprentice

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 07:14:25 PM »
I'm planning to replace the pick ups on my Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top Pro, since the pick up poles are rusty,.

I don't think sulit maglagay ng BKP sa Epi LP.

Offline juwanfidle09

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 08:50:41 PM »

Ano yung kahoy ng LP mo bro? Nakatry kasi ako ng LP with BKPs last saturday, di ko lang maalala exactly kung anong models. If my memory serves me right, mga vintage hot yung mga nakabit. About sa sound, napakaklaro and mas focused yung mids. :)

For sharing:
-No eq-ing or compression sa post processing, puro light limiting lang.
-amp sim for the distorted guitars, 5150 with TS and 1960 cab impulse yung gamit ko dito. 
-amp sim for clean tones, Roland Jazz Chorus (coil split)

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2017, 09:02:36 PM »
Ano yung kahoy ng LP mo bro? Nakatry kasi ako ng LP with BKPs last saturday, di ko lang maalala exactly kung anong models. If my memory serves me right, mga vintage hot yung mga nakabit. About sa sound, napakaklaro and mas focused yung mids. :)

For sharing:
-amp sim for the distorted guitars, 5150 with TS and 1960 cab impulse yung gamit ko dito. 

I don't think we can say that an Epi LP is really like a real gibson usa LP.  Just because its somewhat looks like it doesn't mean it is IT.

I suggest he save up for even a 2nd hand good sounding Gibson LP and then put bareknuckles.

Offline juwanfidle09

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2017, 09:20:02 PM »
I don't think we can say that an Epi LP is really like a real gibson usa LP.  Just because its somewhat looks like it doesn't mean it is IT.

I suggest he save up for even a 2nd hand good sounding Gibson LP and then put bareknuckles.

Mas mabuti siguro kung antayin natin sumagot yung nagtatanong. :D

Offline marcus_gloom

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2017, 10:31:52 PM »
Currently have Trilogy Suite (n), Irish Tour (m), and Crawler (b) on my Chapman ML-1. Love this pickup set - modern sounding, punchy, and really clear. Chord definition even under high gain is ridiculously good. It was expensive and took me months to complete the set, but I think it's a good investment in the long run. Just be sure that you do your research really well for the guitar/s that the pickups are going in.
  its great how you customized your BKP set for your Chapman. How did you wire it?

Offline Screamous

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2017, 12:02:54 PM »

I haven't tried any Gibson LP, since i got the Epiphone LP Plus Top Pro from a friend, i was told that plus top pro Epi LPs are better
than the Gibson Studios (which is im not sure), but from the Duncan Distortion installed, I am amazed how it sounds esp. with a
high gain amp.

wla akong technical ideas on any good sounding guitar, kaya maliban doon sa Ibanez RG1570 ko na gitara, pangalawa yung Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top.

i have no option of trying any guitars from a music store, dahil nsa US navy base kami. bumabase nlang ako sa reviews online,
i doubt i can get the exact sound or tone from a video or an audio (IDK). so yun,

sayang may nakita ako na Gibson LP Studio for $600 sa ebay.  :eek:

For sharing:

you can check this link sir for details

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Electrics/Les-Paul/Les-Paul-Standard-Plustop-PRO.aspx

di ako sure e, should i replace the caps too? maliban sa pick ups na pinalitan from pro buckers to duncan distortion
everything is stock.

sana matutunan ko din yung mga pagdating sa gitara, hehe,
pang tamang jam lang ako e hehe pang libangan

Offline jgmredor

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2017, 10:30:42 PM »
I have the BKP Holy Diver in my MIJ RG421. I have another MIJ RG421 with Suhr SSH and SSV. Both sound great. BKP has stronger mids. Suhr has more highs. Both sound clear and defined. BKP tighter Suhr more rounded. BKP is more unforgiving.

Offline throwinshapes

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2017, 03:46:54 PM »
  its great how you customized your BKP set for your Chapman. How did you wire it?

Well, the guitar is currently with the Micsis team for a custom body project that I'm commissioning. I had them install a 5-way super switch as well, doing away with the (rather confusing) stock wiring.

I requested the following pickup configurations:

1. neck
2. neck + middle
3. neck + outer bridge coil split
4. middle + inner bridge coil split
5. full bridge

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2017, 07:21:34 PM »

have to agree with this. this is also something Mark of Guitar Pusher has observed. BKPs will make a guitar with good wood sound great. they do not sound good if the wood of the guitar is not good.

further, we noticed that guitars with subpar wood benefited from a pickup swap when the pickup replacement is a hot output pickup. vintage pickups do not sound good on a so-so wood guitar.

with that said, your MIM could have great wood! after all, it is a Fender. I also agree that the BKP humbuckers sound way better than their Single Coil variants.
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline Screamous

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2018, 12:04:51 PM »
I'm planning to replace the guitar pickups on my Ibanez RC320 Roadcore

i'm torn between Bareknuckle Juggernauts and Bareknuckle Nailbombs
since yung genre na tinutugtog ko is more of rock and punk

never tried them tho' suggested lang ng kaibigan ko from overseas and so far wla nman bad reviews ang BKs

wala akong idea about the whole technical thingy,

if there's anything na pwede ko din baguhin sa caps, pots at selector please let me know, dadalhin ko din sila sa luth pag nakuha ko na yung parts HAHA,

marmaing salamat :)