hulika

Author Topic: Please enlighten me po #audioInterface #homeRecording  (Read 3796 times)

Offline amplify06

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Please enlighten me po #audioInterface #homeRecording
« on: November 09, 2016, 11:00:34 PM »
Hi Guru's of pro audio,

kindly help naman po, I'am planning to expand my simple and humble home recording set up, currently using Behringer Xenyx Q502 USB Mixer as my audio interface. Ano po yung kailangan kong gawin para dumami yung inputs nya and makapag record po ako ng track simultaneously (Drum tracks recording).

Thank you in advance.

Offline CeL1916

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Please enlighten me po #audioInterface #homeRecording
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 11:11:40 PM »
Recording drums with multiple tracks? (Hiwalay snare sa toms etc..) you'll need an audio interface with more input.
PM Transaction References: Rmansh/Miong_Magno/Pentagram_x/Julandmic09/Vanhatred/Liway77/cyrus2477/jracz_28/ichigo02/
thenameisjm/teddy_munoz/Xelly/haha/ekoy08/kalel_23/sensei_24/lucky/drahcirnna24/r_chino/ilikecarrots

Offline amplify06

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 11:20:11 PM »
Uy thank you po sa immediate response teacher CeL1916,

Yes po ganun nga po yung goal po, hmmm pag nag canvas po ako ng new audio interface ano po yung mga dapat kong i-consider na features ? nalilito po kasi ako sa features na may pre-amp, channels , inputs , outputs . kaya po hirap na hirap po sa pag dedesisyon.

salamat po,

Offline musicianurse28

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 11:05:54 AM »
You will need at least 8 XLR inputs. If more than that, much better. Try to consider getting a Zoom R16 audio interface. If you're a Behringer guy, QX2442 is fine.

At least 8 tracks that works simultaneously. But for starting, 4 XLR inputs is enough.

Don't think too much of the Output port since USB port interfaces works well to have it recorded on your DAW, unless you plan to add a studio monitor.

Effects, pre-amps, etc can be manipulated through your DAW of choice.

Now this, if you plan on recording with only 4 mic setup(Snare mic, Bass Drum mic, and 2 Overhead mics) which is the very basic and good for starting up, consider having the Behringer QX1204usb. I started with it too before upgrading to Zoom R16.

Bottom line, you'll need not just an interface/mixer, you'll also need a DAW(Digital Audio Workstation) and a number of drum microphones and XLR cables.

With regard to drum mics, Shure's PG series is a good start. Or maybe just buy the Shure SM57 for Snare Drum mic, which is the most versatile snare mic. Shure Beta52a for Bass Drum mic, one of the favorites as well by most drummers(Audix D6 is another great choice too). And a decent Overhead mics. Behringer C-4 is where I started. Small but terrible condenser mics for overheads.

Hope this helps.
Planning for a Band Rehearsal Studio business. Baka may alam kayong space for rent around QC area lang. Please PM me. Thank you.

Offline amplify06

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 02:47:18 PM »
Good day teacher musicianurse28,

Thank you for responding po.

quick question po, if i purchase QX1204usb , can i expand the inputs of it without selling the said item by just adding another pre-amp to the loop ? (if yes, how po ?)  as per DAW of choice im currently working with REAPER which works fine for me po. and one last thing po , for you po . behringer c-2 or c-4 for Overhead mic ?

salamat po,

Offline musicianurse28

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 03:02:22 PM »
^ Answer to your first question, I haven't tried.
To your 2nd question, C-4 pa lang nasubukan ko. Okay naman. C-2, di ko pa nasusubukan. Magkamukha lang sila, pero malaki pinagkaiba. Alam ko mas sensitive si C-4 kay C-2. Pero kahit alin naman sa dalawa, magagamit naman sila as overheads.
Planning for a Band Rehearsal Studio business. Baka may alam kayong space for rent around QC area lang. Please PM me. Thank you.

Offline amplify06

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 03:38:47 PM »
Hi Teacher musicianurse28,

bale ang ginawa ninyo po nung nag upgrade kayo eh buy & sell ? sige po check po ako ng overhead mics sa utube.

salamat po :)

Offline CeL1916

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 10:20:03 PM »
Hindi ako sure ha, hindi ako familiar sa usb-mixers/interfaces pero alam ko etong mixer/interface na to only records in one stereo track. So imposible yung target mo recording drums on separate tracks.(malamang para mas controlled ang mix?).

Ang kelangan mo eh multiple I/O audio interface (not mixer) para dun, kaso medyo pricey.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 10:25:28 PM by CeL1916 »
PM Transaction References: Rmansh/Miong_Magno/Pentagram_x/Julandmic09/Vanhatred/Liway77/cyrus2477/jracz_28/ichigo02/
thenameisjm/teddy_munoz/Xelly/haha/ekoy08/kalel_23/sensei_24/lucky/drahcirnna24/r_chino/ilikecarrots

Offline Cloud182

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2016, 11:19:23 AM »
@cel audio interfaces with multiple inputs will record separated tracks if configured properly with DAW. It is the purpose of having multiple inputs in the first place.

There are also mixers  with USB connectivity to do this.

Offline CeL1916

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2016, 12:24:47 PM »
@cel audio interfaces with multiple inputs will record separated tracks if configured properly with DAW. It is the purpose of having multiple inputs in the first place.

There are also mixers  with USB connectivity to do this.

I know, i was talking about this mixer types of interfaces, most of them record on 1 track stereo even if they have multiple  inputs. Thats why I said what he need is an intrface with multiple i/o.

Now, if his interface can be configured to record separate tracks then kindly show the man.

Offline Cloud182

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2016, 12:37:46 PM »
My point is, mixers can serve as audio interface as well and record multi tracks. I'm not talking about his interface but your comment about mixers.

http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/multitrack-mixerinterfaces

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

Offline CeL1916

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2016, 12:46:32 PM »
I said "most mixer interfaces" didnt I?

And im suggesting using multiple I/O audio interfaces for the thread starter to be sure.

Offline Cloud182

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2016, 01:13:15 PM »

Ang kelangan mo eh multiple I/O audio interface (not mixer) para dun, kaso medyo pricey.

Offline CeL1916

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2016, 07:32:30 PM »

So whats the point? You're not even helping.  You're just stating the obvious that everyone already knew, im explaining the TS to go straight for audio interfaces instead of mixers to avoid confusion.

Come back when you can help the guy.

Offline Cloud182

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2016, 03:35:48 PM »
Well obviously not known to all.

@TS,  you can buy a mixer with an interface function via firewire or USB (check you PC) where you can premix physically before DAW. This way you can have the balance of tracks and the levels you want to be, a good contributor for a good mix. Check the link and see if what can fit your budget. Musiciannurse already stated the minimum for the drums so I think you can start on 4 inputs, but if you are willing to shell off a bit more, a 7-8 input maybe an option so you can use that as well with a band (bass, lead, vocals) and invest one time.

Check the one from Alesis multimix 8 channel USB fx (200+), or to get really fancy the 16 channel from Presonus Studio Live (1000+).

Those above are "mixerfaces"  but you can always buy the audio interface counterpart. There's also one from Presonus (audiobox 1818)  at 500, comes with a dedicated software.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 11:15:35 PM by Cloud182 »

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2016, 11:08:08 AM »
How's the resolution on those Behringer USB mixers -- 16/44.1 pa rin ba?
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline techbp

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2017, 05:37:13 AM »
If you're planning to record several tracks simultaneously I suggest get an audio interface with a Firewire connectivity OR a USB 3.0 OR thunderbolt. But the latter is much expensive than firewire and usb 3. Firewire will do - if you are using a desktop computer, you'll be needing a firewire card for it - mura lang yun. USB 2.0 interfaces are too slow for multi-track recording. You'll be experiencing latency and other problems. Check Presonus Firewire Studio Project...   

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2017, 08:28:10 PM »
usb 2 is more than enough. kaya lang siguro nagka stigma sya na pangit e dahil sa drivers ng mga interface

i have no problems usb2 recording 16 tracks with my behringer xr18 plus a usb stereo channel for playback during tracking. also tried 8 inputs going in while the other 8 tracks are switched to usb as outputs, still no problems