hulika

Author Topic: Tube Amp DIY'ers Club-DIY Bassman soundclips p.25!  (Read 278052 times)

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
Huwat!!! great find iyan. point to point ba ang ginawa mo duon sa P1-HO amp mo?

Oo. Sobrang point to point. If you know what I mean :D
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
My Matchless Spitfire should be about a weeks work away from completion :D

Surprisingly, it fits inside such a small aluminum C-section :D. Or...let's see. Coz if not, I'll have wasted four perfectly good high-voltage capacitors.

Offline embot

• Veteran Member
Jobet,
Thats a huge power transformer.  One comment though, as you might know, a large amount of magnetic leakage emanates from the PT.  Most magnetic leakage radiates from the end bells of the PT.  To minimize hum, the PT should be rotated 90 degrees.  That way magnetic leakage will not be directed towards the OT.

Mel

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
Jobet,
Thats a huge power transformer.  One comment though, as you might know, a large amount of magnetic leakage emanates from the PT.  Most magnetic leakage radiates from the end bells of the PT.  To minimize hum, the PT should be rotated 90 degrees.  That way magnetic leakage will not be directed towards the OT.

Mel

Wow thanks ! Yang orientation lang kasi na yan ang magbibigay ng space para sa mga butas para sa wires. But now that you put it that way, I wouldn't mind routing the wires a little longer para mag-enter sa butas nya. Di pa naman butas yun, pwede pa ire-orient yung PT.

Yan ang gawa ni Mang JV. Pansin ko nga din anlalaki, pero inisip ko baka ganun talaga dahil sa HV winding. Binigay ko lang yung schematic, without specifying anything else except the wattage. Tapos sabi ko bahala na sya. Kahit yung sa ax84 P1-SEL (nag-evolve na naman sya from P1-HO) anlaki din ng PT. Di bale, basta gumagana...for now :D 

Offline embot

• Veteran Member
Maganda naman yung malaki.  Mas maliit ang chance na ma overload or mag overheat siya.  Nakaka sindak lang yung size niya.

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
Would it help if I bought bell covers for the PT ? Is this "free standing" mount for trannies inauspicious compared to burying them into the chassis ? I mean, from a hum point of view ?

Sensya na dre...they don't teach this in school. History lesson na nga halos ang discussion ng tubes nung nasa skul ako e :D

Offline sd8450

O guys, just came from Mang JV. The set of Trannies for my Matchless Spitfire clone only costs P700 (PP OT and PT na yun).
Very very interesting and nice price for a set of transformer. Does this include the "choke" as shown in the schematic of the Spitfire? What does PP mean?

My Matchless Spitfire should be about a weeks work away from completion :D

Surprisingly, it fits inside such a small aluminum C-section :D. Or...let's see. Coz if not, I'll have wasted four perfectly good high-voltage capacitors.
Nice work on the Spitfire project amp! I am curious about the tube rectifier and choke as I do not see them in the pics. Are you following the schematic faithfully or are you doing some changes? Thanks again for sharing! :-)
Vintage and Not-So Vintage Amps
http://vintageguitaramps.blogspot.com/

Offline mugen

nice topic guys..

share ko lang yung nagawa ko at yung next project kong ginagawa ngayon.

18w TMB
Grundig Power Tranny & Ceriatone 18w Output tranny
2 channel, SS rectifier, 2 el84 & 3 12ax7

post ko mamaya yung under chassis.

18W T-REX (train wreck inspired w/ el 84 power tube)
Ceriatone Power tranny & 18w Heyboer Output Tranny
post ko mamaya yung pics

2 channel, Ez81 Rectifer, 2 el 84 & 3 12ax7

Dumble over drive special clone (Lite Version)

post ko mamaya yung pics

Scratch build lahat gaya ng kay sir BAMF.

Offline embot

• Veteran Member
Would it help if I bought bell covers for the PT ? Is this "free standing" mount for trannies inauspicious compared to burying them into the chassis ? I mean, from a hum point of view ?

Sensya na dre...they don't teach this in school. History lesson na nga halos ang discussion ng tubes nung nasa skul ako e :D
No problem.  It's just fun to have someone to share this information with.

What helps the most is the orientation of the trannies and also that there is enough space between them so that the cores will not magnetically couple.  It is also better to keep the trannies as far as possible from the circuit (outside the chassis).  The chassis material helps too.  Aluminum, maybe because of its non magnetic properties, isolate the circuit from noise better than steel. 

Last is your grounding scheme.  You talked initially about star grounding schemes and isolating the star grounding from the power ground.  That's good.  If you want your amp to be quieter,  create a star ground for each preamp stage and another for the power amp section.  Separate each star ground by a 5ohm resistor.  That way eddy currents from the higher preamp stages will be isolated from the lower gain stages.

Offline obelix

• Forum Fanatic
nice topic guys..

18w TMB

post ko mamaya yung pics

post ko mamaya yung pics

nakakademotivate naman yung post mo :)

ang ganda pre... US based ka ba? saan mo nakuha yung tolex?

sama mo na rin pati gut shots :)

EDIT: teka ikaw ba yung natanungan ko dati na bumili ng turret board sa www.turretboards.com?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 03:18:57 PM by obelix »

Offline qwixzh

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Quote from: sd8450
What does PP mean?

Push-Pull sir

yung SE,

Single-Ended

hope it did help.  :-)
gumagawa, sirang relo...
bumibili, lumang coins...

Offline sd8450

Push-Pull sir

yung SE,

Single-Ended

hope it did help.  :-)
Thanks bro you got it right! I hope you will further share your experience/s on building your 18watt. :-)
Vintage and Not-So Vintage Amps
http://vintageguitaramps.blogspot.com/

Offline embot

• Veteran Member
nice topic guys..

18w TMB

post ko mamaya yung pics

post ko mamaya yung pics

Nice!  Ikaw ba gumawa nang face plates?  Pakita din nung loob nang amp.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 11:16:07 PM by embot »

Offline mugen

Thanks Guys!!!

18w TMB

18w T-Rex

Over Drive Special Lite

Di pa tapos naghihintay pa ng mga parts dumating.

Chassis, board & face plate ...

heto na sila..

Speaker Cab 2x12 50w MOD Jensen Speakers each.

Share ko din yung mga detailed chasis drawing, board, head cabinet & Speaker cabinet & DIY Face plate.

Offline obelix

• Forum Fanatic
puwede palang plexiglass para sa board material... hindi ka naman nagkakaproblema?

Offline mugen

puwede palang plexiglass para sa board material... hindi ka naman nagkakaproblema?

hindi naman bro, nilagyan ko ng insulation kabilaan para di matunaw.. :wink:

Offline obelix

• Forum Fanatic
anong insulation ang ginamit mo?

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
No problem.  It's just fun to have someone to share this information with.

What helps the most is the orientation of the trannies and also that there is enough space between them so that the cores will not magnetically couple.  It is also better to keep the trannies as far as possible from the circuit (outside the chassis).  The chassis material helps too.  Aluminum, maybe because of its non magnetic properties, isolate the circuit from noise better than steel. 

Last is your grounding scheme.  You talked initially about star grounding schemes and isolating the star grounding from the power ground.  That's good.  If you want your amp to be quieter,  create a star ground for each preamp stage and another for the power amp section.  Separate each star ground by a 5ohm resistor.  That way eddy currents from the higher preamp stages will be isolated from the lower gain stages.

Now that's interesting...the grounding thing. Which star  do I connect the chassis ground...if that's a good thing ?

Offline bluebossa

• Philmusicus Addictus
Thanks Guys!!!

18w TMB

18w T-Rex

Over Drive Special Lite

Di pa tapos naghihintay pa ng mga parts dumating.

Chassis, board & face plate ...

heto na sila..

Speaker Cab 2x12 50w MOD Jensen Speakers each.

Share ko din yung mga detailed chasis drawing, board, head cabinet & Speaker cabinet & DIY Face plate.

whooow  :-)

Offline embot

• Veteran Member
Now that's interesting...the grounding thing. Which star  do I connect the chassis ground...if that's a good thing ?
The star for the power section.  It still needs to be isolate it either by distance or another 5 ohm /10 watt resistor.  The chassis ground because of the power main has the most noise, so you still want to isolate it from the power section. 

The grounding scheme would be organized like this: 

Input Star Ground -5 ohm resistor - Preamp 1st Stage Star Ground - 5 ohm resistor - Preamp 2nd Stage Star Ground - 5 ohm resistor - Preamp 3rd Stage Star Ground ........ Power Section Star Ground - Chassis Ground

Offline mugen

grounding scheme from hoffman's website

The diagram above shows the grounding scheme that you find on most Vintage Fender's and Marshall's.
The grounding scheme above runs very quiet if done properly.
* J = Jack,  P = Pot,  F = Filter cap
* Do not try and solder wires to the chassis itself. A ground that is soldered to a chassis is not as good as a soldered and bolted down ring terminal ground.

* Do not do STAR grounding. I have removed many star grounds in amps to fix grounding problems.

* Do not use the brass Fender style grounding plates. These plates corrode eventually and do not make good contact between the chassis and the brass.

* The power transformer bolt ground wires have a round ring terminal crimped and soldered to them. They can then be bolted down firmly to the metal chassis.

* The Marshall style pot buss wire is shown above. This is a bare wire that is soldered to the back of every pot and is connected to the input jacks ground lugs. I recommend using this buss wire system. You may have to grind, sand or file some of the coating off of the back of the pot so that you can solder the buss wire to it. A 40 watt iron minimum is usually what it takes to solder this buss wire to the pots.

* Make sure all Jacks and pots are bolted down firmly to the metal chassis. If you use plastic jacks, make sure all jacks are grounded to the pot buss wire.

* Your circuit board may have multiple grounds leaving the circuit board. Pre amp grounds are soldered to the pot buss wire. Bias supplies, rectifiers or power tube cathode ground wires all go to the main power transformer bolt.

* All power transformer Center taps get bolted down to the main Power transformer bolt.

* If you use two 100 ohm resistors as your heater center tap, do not use the power transformer heater center tap wire and visa versa.

* If you have a reverb transformer, make sure the reverb jacks are bolted to the chassis and the reverb transformer ground wire is soldered to a ground lug on the reverb jacks. Do not use insulating washers on the reverb jacks.

* Speakers jacks are bolted firmly to the metal chassis. The output transformer ground wire is soldered to a speaker jack ground lug. If you use plastic speakers jacks, solder a ground wire to the jacks and bolt it down to the main power transformer ground bolt where all the other grounds are bolted.

* Your power tube cathode wires may be on the circuit board or leave the tube sockets and go right to the main power transformer ground bolt.

* The power cord green wire can be bolted down to the closest power transformer bolt.

* Filter cap notes: #1 is your main filter cap(s) that are connected to the rectifier. #2 are the power tube screen grid filter cap(s). These two filter cap stages both get bolted to the main power transformer ground bolt.
#3 are all the pre amp and phase inverter filter caps. They are all soldered to the buss wire that runs down the back of the pots.

* If you have a separate rectifier board or a bias circuit board or a Bridge rectifier bolted down somewhere, all these grounds should get bolted down to the main power transformer ground bolt.

Offline mugen

anong insulation ang ginamit mo?
papel na makapal parang yung folder  or yung dulo ng pang grade 1 na papel.

Offline embot

• Veteran Member
Mugen,
Nice work!  Thanks for sharing.  First time i've seen plexiglass used as a board.

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
Very very interesting and nice price for a set of transformer. Does this include the "choke" as shown in the schematic of the Spitfire? What does PP mean?
Nice work on the Spitfire project amp! I am curious about the tube rectifier and choke as I do not see them in the pics. Are you following the schematic faithfully or are you doing some changes? Thanks again for sharing! :-)

Honga ano. No, I didn't go tube rectifier on this one. Maybe on later projects, but I plan on going solid state rectifier for my next two projects (18 watt and spitfire). Perhaps when I do my MIG-50 (this seems to be a simple 50-watter build) I'll go tube rectifier. Pero I'm thinking, the tube sag of the rectifier can be replicated by series resistors in the power supply anyway. Whatdya think ?

I think I can manage a choke although it will have to be mounted inside the C-section, there's no more space topside. I was planning on  leaving that space between the tubes and the PT empty to minimize hum.

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
Mugen, those are great looking projects both inside and out. I would be lying if I said that I'm not jealous (and envious) :D :D .

Inspiring work man. Sige tapusin ko lang tong naumpisahan ko na then I'll try to reach your level of craftsmanship on my next build again. :D

Thanks din for the grounding scheme. Valuable info. I'll revisit the P1-SEL again and see if I can reduce the hum even more. It's still annoying.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 08:59:21 AM by BAMF »