hulika

Author Topic: Lava Cables Review  (Read 168302 times)

Offline d_sic3

• Netizen Level
Lava Cables Review
« on: July 24, 2009, 08:42:09 PM »
Let me start by saying that over cables like planet waves, proel and other cheap cables that I have tried....Lava stands as the best...I was not expecting much of this cable when I got it since I was not pleased with high end cables like Planet Waves that gets damaged from only 3 months of using.  I have bought three planet waves cable and even the 20ft with circuit breaker.  And they all seem to break down after months of playing.

I got the Clear Connect Cable, which has the orange rubber plug cover.  Man, these cables are tough.  Just by looking at the cables, you can say that it is      perfectly built to withstand brutality.  I think they are using PVC pipes also, just like any other cable, only tougher.

The sound of these cables, I can say, is well balanced.  It retains the highs and lows.  The highs are now being fed through the amp and I why I'm saying that? It's because even if I turned off the OD (used as clean boost), the signal doesn't have any volume loss which is a good thing as I can now use my OD to sound like an OD, not as a clean boost.   And when I used my dist, the gain seems to flow from the box like there are no other pedals in the chain.  The sound is so crisp that my gain is only at 9 o'clock and I can still have the "chug"...  I am using the 15ft and the 12ft cable and there has been no difference from the two.  These cables are extremely well made, a very musical cable I can say.  And I recommend this cable to anyone that wants their tone preserved.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 12:21:00 AM by d_sic3 »

Offline masterchoxter

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Lava Cable Users here....
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 08:51:18 PM »
+1000
[

Offline Aether

Re: Lava Cables Review
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 10:01:05 PM »
may distributor ba dito sa pinas ng lava cables?

Offline d_sic3

• Netizen Level
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 10:06:06 PM »

Offline Aether

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 10:12:05 PM »
meron dude.. try turi..

here's the link:
http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,136774.msg1852139.html#msg1852139

uy nice one. dahil sa review, nagka-GAS tuloy ako bigla sa lava cables.  :-D mukha nga siyang matibay. fender california cables gamit ko ngayon e. naiinis ako sa nabili kong surelock cables. hindi ko lang nagamit ng mga ilang buwan, medyo scratchy na siya kapag sinasaksak sa input/output jacks.

Offline d_sic3

• Netizen Level
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 10:32:26 PM »
 :-D  You won't be disappointed.. It's worth the price..

Offline markv

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 10:40:23 PM »
I love this cable! Nagtunog ordinary ang planet waves cable when we a/b'ed it with this cable.

The price is very reasonable   :-)

Offline Opay21

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 12:21:04 AM »
Let me start by saying that over cables like planet waves, proel and other cheap cables that I have tried....Lava stands as the best...I was not expecting much of this cable when I got it since I was not pleased with high end cables like Planet Waves that gets damaged from only 3 months of using.  I have bought three planet waves cable and even the 20ft with circuit breaker.  And they all seem to break down after months of playing.

I got the Clear Connect Cable, which has the orange rubber plug cover.  Man, these cables are tough.  Just by looking at the cables, you can say that it is      perfectly built to withstand brutality.  I think they are using PVC pipes just like planet waves but these are sturdy.

The sound of these cables, I can say, is well balanced.  It retains the highs and lows.  The highs are now being fed through the amp and I why I'm saying that? It's because even if I turned off the OD (used as clean boost), the signal doesn't have any volume loss which is a good thing as I can now use my OD to sound like an OD, not as a clean boost.   And when I used my dist, the gain seems to flow from the box like there are no other pedals in the chain.  The sound is so crisp that my gain is only at 9 o'clock and I can still have the "chug"...  I am using the 15ft and the 12ft cable and there has been no difference from the two.  These cables are extremely well made, a very musical cable I can say.  And I recommend this cable to anyone that wants their tone preserved.

Nako, this thread is going to be hard for me to avoid. Ma GAGAS attack ako nito... been thinking of getting one but I'm really not sure if I shoudl get one, I mean in my state na callege palang at hindi naman mayaman. ^^
I love this cable! Nagtunog ordinary ang planet waves cable when we a/b'ed it with this cable.

The price is very reasonable   :-)
Wah! naka Planet waves ako... na circuit breaker... this thread is starting to get into my head!  :-D
"Are you saying that now, things are going to be beautiful?"

"I'm saying things will be what they are"

Offline d_sic3

• Netizen Level
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 12:30:03 AM »
Nako, this thread is going to be hard for me to avoid. Ma GAGAS attack ako nito... been thinking of getting one but I'm really not sure if I shoudl get one, I mean in my state na callege palang at hindi naman mayaman. ^^ Wah! naka Planet waves ako... na circuit breaker... this thread is starting to get into my head!  :-D

Dude..you won't be disappointed..I did not believed turi at first when he said that it will improve your tone.  My main reason for buying is to get another cable which is not going to be Planet Waves and to give it a try since I am desperate to get a cable for a gig.  Lo and behold!! This cable really amazes me the first time I used it.    :-D
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 12:32:46 AM by d_sic3 »

Offline boogsy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 01:29:10 AM »
And theyre REALLY NEAT AND NICE TO LOOK AT.

1/2 inch staggered or 1 inch side by side between pedals :)

ELC main -> Mini ELC -> ELC main = Pure tone.
Music is perpetual, and only the hearing is intermittent.

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 06:29:42 AM »
pag neutrik nasa 2" ang spacing ng pedals, laki ng kinakain na board space  :-(
last year pa ko nag babalak mag improve ng cables pero hindi ko pa rin nagagawa  :-(

Offline wh1t33rick

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 06:40:08 AM »
according to sir turi...it's even better than George L's 8-)
kaya nga ipon ako for these hot cables!!! :-D
"I Don't care what they say about me but it's alright..they'll get it one day.."

Make God Famous

Offline jmreyes

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 10:10:35 AM »
according to sir turi...it's even better than George L's 8-)
kaya nga ipon ako for these hot cables!!! :-D

To an extent, yes. They are more balanced. George L's are known to add some highs. You can also cram more pedals with Lava.

These high end cables are said to be one of the easiest tone upgrades.

My GL's are coming soon. The only reason I went with GL's is because they're cheaper.
LF: Mojo

Offline turiguiliano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2009, 01:27:20 PM »
 :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 09:12:34 AM by turiguiliano »
US Toll Free: 650.488.7901
Globe:0927.858.1635
Smart:0949.190.0200 Sun:0932.748.6705 Bogner Amplification - CMATMODS - F-BASS - Jet City Amplification - Lava Cables - Paul Cochrane Audio - Pedal Train - Weber Speakers - Wilson Effects - XOTIC Effects

Offline pangalan

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2009, 02:47:21 PM »
And theyre REALLY NEAT AND NICE TO LOOK AT.

TUMPAK CHONG! BTW, ganda talaga ng simple mong board  :-D

MrActionFingers

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2009, 03:51:46 PM »
To an extent, yes. They are more balanced. George L's are known to add some highs.

This is one of the misconceptions about cables. Cables don't add anything to your signal, what they do (the good ones) is transmit the signal on a 1:1 ratio. If you think about it, how can the cable add a frequency that is not there in the first place? When people say the George L's add high frequency, what they're really hearing is the TRUE full frequency range of the signal. It doesn't add high freq and presence its just showing what's really there but was not represented by the low end cable. I did a comparison a while back using the high end cables (lava, two rock, GL's etc.) and IMHO and the people that were with me the GL's is the best of the bunch. For the test I used analog synths (SH101 to test the lows, Korg MS20 for the highs and transient response and a guitar straight to amp.

MrActionFingers

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2009, 05:46:39 PM »
This is one of the misconceptions about cables. Cables don't add anything to your signal, what they do (the good ones) is transmit the signal on a 1:1 ratio. If you think about it, how can the cable add a frequency that is not there in the first place? When people say the George L's add high frequency, what they're really hearing is the TRUE full frequency range of the signal. It doesn't add high freq and presence its just showing what's really there but was not represented by the low end cable. I did a comparison a while back using the high end cables (lava, two rock, GL's etc.) and IMHO and the people that were with me the GL's is the best of the bunch. For the test I used analog synths (SH101 to test the lows, Korg MS20 for the highs and transient response and a guitar straight to amp.

Offline khelbanzon

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2009, 11:48:37 PM »
CLEAR CONNECT

Pagiipunan ko yan Boss Turi!  :-D

Offline ghostalker

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2009, 11:54:27 PM »
tone is also in the cables ^_^
God Bless!
Rockin' for Jesus 

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2009, 06:37:02 AM »
cable shoot out na rin!  :lol:

Offline rolexm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2009, 11:26:23 AM »
cable shoot out na rin!  :lol:

We did this last night. Itchybrain, Markv, Turi, Saturn/Return, The_Nong, and I.

Iba talaga. Parang tumitira ka ng F1 sa service road laban sa Passenger Jeep. The myth was proven wrong, it doesn't matter how long your cable is!

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2009, 11:34:50 AM »
We did this last night. Itchybrain, Markv, Turi, Saturn/Return, The_Nong, and I.

Iba talaga. Parang tumitira ka ng F1 sa service road laban sa Passenger Jeep. The myth was proven wrong, it doesn't matter how long your cable is!

nagawa na pala, may video or pics kayo last night? :lol:

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2009, 11:38:24 AM »

seriously bro?  how did you prove it?  :-)
PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers

Offline boogsy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2009, 11:42:04 AM »

curious din ako. Also, with or without pedals in between?
Music is perpetual, and only the hearing is intermittent.

Offline rolexm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2009, 10:31:02 PM »
curious din ako. Also, with or without pedals in between?
What we did was we took one guitar and one amp. Fender Strat and I think it was Tweed Fender Tube Amp. Played a series of the same 4 chords and 1 lick through different cables: Fender 20ft, Vox 10ft, Lava (entry) 15ft , Lava High End 20ft.

The outcome: (In my opinion)
Fender - Balanced, clear but output not very prominent.
Vox - Higher output but a bit muddy. (This is mine)
Lava (Entry) - Clear
Lava High End - It's like you bought a BB Sonic Maximizer and a natural clean boost.

nagawa na pala, may video or pics kayo last night? :lol:
Itchybrain brought his DSLR. But he left before The_Nong arrived. He took a video through our boards just to show was was in 'em. But no sound clips/video, wala daw si masterchoxter eh. Hehe.