hulika

Author Topic: The CUB Club! (Laney Cub12/Cub10/Cub8 thread)  (Read 217594 times)

Offline Red_Strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
The CUB Club! (Laney Cub12/Cub10/Cub8 thread)
« on: October 26, 2009, 12:21:59 AM »
As per request of the majority, I've changed the thread title.  :mrgreen:

Intro

Originally, I had my eyes set on a Vox Pathfinder 15R. I’ve tried one already, so I was convinced that it was my best choice. People I knew recommended it as well. Then the night before I was going to get the Vox, my friend Peewee told me about Laney’s Cub8 & Cub10 – and how affordable they were. At 8890 (for the Cub10), it was a bargain, considering that it’s all-tube. (2 6v6GT’s in the output section; 2 ECC83’s in the preamp.. plus a 10-inch Celestion speaker)

First impressions.. It’s a pretty good looking amp. I’m not sure if it’s reminiscent of any ‘classic’ look in an amp; I don’t know that much about amps, or even tube amps for that matter. The cab is covered in plain black tolex, and a brown grille cloth in the front. There are excess pieces of tolex sticking out, and I wonder how hard it is to actually fix that inside the factory.There’s also a classy-looking Laney logo in the upper right side of the front of the amp.  The (panel?), which features the on/off switch, a LED indicator (big, bright, & RED!), hi & lo inputs, tone, volume, & gain knobs seems to be well made. The chickenhead knobs are a bit disappointing; they look & feel cheap. Then again, at this price point, it’s a minor issue. I think I can replace it with chickenhead knobs from Epektos.com if it bothers me later on. There’s a sturdy looking rubber carrying handle on the top of the amp, but I worry about how it’ll hold up after several years of use. The strip of Velcro at the back of the amp is a nice touch too – it’ll keep the AC cord in place when the amp isn’t in use. This amp is neither closed-back nor opened-back. There’s a metal grille that covers the rear of the amp & protects the tubes.

Sounds

Sound.. well, I’m not an expert at determining an amp’s character. The only amp voicings I know are that of Fender & Marshalls. So I’ll say that the Cub10 sounds somewhat like a Marshall, or a British-amp. Again, it’s a Laney. Laney = British, right? With all knobs at noon, I found the amp to be fairly balanced; just enough low-end, and the treble is pleasing to the ear. Does it sound boxy? I don’t think so.

At first, I was sceptical with this amp because it only had a tone control instead of the usual 3-band EQ. When testing this amp, either you have to like its voice/character or you don’t. The EQ, for me, serves as more of a presence control. The amp sounds good with just a tone control, but it may limit the range of tones that you can get from it.

The volume & gain controls are interactive. There’s not much more that I can say about them.

When cranked, the amp doesn’t fart out or feel like it’s going to fall apart. It almost seems to want to be cranked or overdriven, because it sounds better & better at high volumes. MJ of JB Music Trinoma was kind enough to encourage me to dime the volume & gain controls, so I did. Laney’s claims are true: there really is that “Heartbreaker” thing going on at those settings. Of course, any cranked British-amp test isn’t complete without the AC-DC test. Yes, it does the AC-DC thing very well too. Thankfully my ears are still intact.. the drumheads in the store were vibrating a lot while the Cub10 was cranked.

I also tried the Cub10 with a distortion pedal (Markv’s Shredhead), and I liked what I heard. Paired with a nice modulated delay, you can get some Eric Johnson-like tones. With what I heard, I’ll assume that it takes dirt pedals well.

Verdict

The Cub8 goes for a little less than 7,000; while the Cub10 is roughly 9,000. Those are the sale prices, by the way. I really recommend the Cub10, but I there are some features that I wish Laney added to the whole package.
- Reverb (just to make it sound a bit more airy or bigger)
- Headphone out or Line out
- 3-band EQ

If you have a reverb/delay pedal, I think you’ll get along with this amp very well. Just like me.  :-)

Now it's time for a shameless plug, este clips of the amp pala.  :lol:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=967559&songID=8262690 (used the Shredhead for OD)
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=967559&songID=8262955
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 11:03:35 PM by Red_Strat »

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
Re: Laney Cub10: Redstrat's Review
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 12:25:53 AM »
great review bro.

i was eyeing this amp sa JB. i might get one, pero the lack of an EQ turns me off. Have you tried the Vox Ac4tv? maganda kung may comparison yung Cub10 at AC4tv. both have no EQ, and magkalapit lang price. i wish it had a 12" speaker though, for more headroom..

Offline Red_Strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 12:29:52 AM »
Thanks. Nope, I haven't tried the AC4TV yet, but it would be interesting to see/hear a comparison of the two amps. Well, there's an 8ohm speaker output, so you can even hook up the Cub10 to a 4x12 cab.  :evil:

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 12:34:01 AM »
Thanks. Nope, I haven't tried the AC4TV yet, but it would be interesting to see/hear a comparison of the two amps. Well, there's an 8ohm speaker output, so you can even hook up the Cub10 to a 4x12 cab.  :evil:

the youtube demo looks very promising. i'm sure a lot would like it. sana din may attenuator para ibaba yung wattage nung amp, like the AC4Tv.

Offline GuitarFox

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 12:34:58 AM »
Thanks for the review Red_strat.

Micsis and I went to JB ATC several weeks ago and managed to hook up the Cub10 to a 4x12 Marshall and 4x12 Laney. We were both pleased with the output. Unfortunately, JB does not sell the 4x12 cab alone.

Oh yea...we both purchased a Cub10 that evening.

Peace.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 09:01:59 PM by GuitarFox »

Offline burnthyfret

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 12:43:35 AM »
wuih!! just what i needed. hehe. pareho pa tayo ng dilemna bro. a battle between PF and this cool amp. hehe. at nakakatuwa din, pareho tayong shredheader. haha. you were lucky that you were able to test your pedal with this amp. hehe. i only tested this amp straight to the guitar e. and damn it sounded warm and really tubey.. not trying hard to be tube kinda sound. hehe. and yes, it has the marshall characteristic.. a bit dirty muddy just the way i like it, not really recomended though to those who worship the cleans delivered by fender amps. it's really a whole different amp than fender. to me, i personally consider laney amps as kapatid ng mga marshall amp. hehe. but for it's price, it sure is a bang for you buck. i haven't bought mine though, i'll still test this amp with my shredhead and my guitar. it's gonna be my practice amp for my bedroom so i have to be sure that my pedals, guitar and this amp are in harmony with each other. hehe. btw, is this amp, pedal friendly in your opinion and observation?
ps: eric johsons's tone with the shredhead and this amp? great tone for a small amp. hehe. just curious, how "high-gain" can it get with the shredhead plugged to this amp? 8-)

Offline Red_Strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 01:06:50 AM »
My pleasure, mga bro.  :-)

@GuitarFox: Micsis was one of the people that reccomended the Cub10 to me. Hehehe. Marami-rami narin pala tayong Cub10 users dito.

@burnthyfret: I won't be buying another amp for a very long time, that's why I really tried to make sure that this amp was okay in all aspects before I decided to buy it.. kaya dinala ko yung pedal ko talaga, as well as my strat. Well, it gets along with my Shredhead & EHX SMMH pretty well.. so yes.  :-)
How high-gain? Hmm. Di ko kasi tinodo yung gain nung shredhead kanina, hanggang mga 3 o'clock lang ako. But for 'reference', siguro mga tipong "Ironman" ni Ozzy Osbourne, na mas in-your-face lang ng konte.

Offline burnthyfret

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 01:11:55 AM »
hehe. it's a good thing din pala na out of stock yun pathfinder dati when i was about to but an amp na. hehe. i can't really say much about this amp yet nor decide to buy it or not.. i really really need to test this amp na with my pedal and guitar. hehe. :mrgreen:

Offline Red_Strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 01:26:59 AM »
Out of stock? When I called AP Main they still have a few daw. Hehe.

Offline burnthyfret

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 01:45:12 AM »
hehe. audiophile moa lang ako pumapasyal e, kasi yun lang ang accesible sakin. masyadong malayo ibang audiophile from house. :-P

Offline Daemon Transmission

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 04:24:07 AM »
Mukhang bagong craze tong laney cubs ha, lalo na ang cub 10 medyo gas ako dito din pero iniisip ko pa kung fender pro junior o cub 10. san ba made ang cub 10??
“Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived.”
― Isaac Asimov

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 06:55:09 AM »
cool! :mrgreen:

Offline ECUA

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 08:40:59 AM »
Mukhang bagong craze tong laney cubs ha, lalo na ang cub 10 medyo gas ako dito din pero iniisip ko pa kung fender pro junior o cub 10. san ba made ang cub 10??

probably, its china, kasi mura though im not so sure. But who cares,  sound do matter :evil:

Offline ierofan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 08:45:45 AM »
diba JB music yung laney?
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

[This signature has been blocked in accordance to RA No. 10175]

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2009, 08:58:31 AM »
diba JB music yung laney?

yes laney ay sa JB, i saw that cub dun, one thing i dont like about that, is the looks. kinda 'cheap" to me, to me lang ha? baka magalit kayo. tignan niyo nalang and judge niyo.
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones

Offline GuitarFox

• Veteran Member
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2009, 09:13:06 AM »
yes laney ay sa JB, i saw that cub dun, one thing i dont like about that, is the looks. kinda 'cheap" to me, to me lang ha? baka magalit kayo. tignan niyo nalang and judge niyo.

Not angry Bro. In fact, I prefer an honest opinion. Why not give it a whirl? The guys in JB are helpful (BTW, I don't work for JB :-D).

Peace.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 09:17:24 AM by GuitarFox »

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2009, 09:28:52 AM »
Not angry Bro. In fact, I prefer an honest opinion. Why not give it a whirl? The guys in JB are helpful (BTW, I don't work for JB :-D).

Peace.

i was just referring sa looks sir.. nothing against the amp..

if it sounds good, and for the price, why not diba? walang silbe naman ang good looks kung pangit ang sound sa music world eh, well, may konting silbe, the "wooow" factor.. :-D :-D

Offline Red_Strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2009, 09:37:22 AM »
Sabi sa likod ng amp.. made in the PRC (People's Republic of China). But they're emphasizing na "designed & engineered in the UK"  :lol:

Offline spankyrigor

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2009, 09:41:33 AM »
Unfortunately, JB does not sell the 4x12 cab alone.

Peace.

JB Makati (Park Square) is selling a Laney 4x12 cab.
We are the authorized Philippines Dealer for the following brands:

www.strymon.net * www.maxonfx.com * www.voodoolab.com * www.godlyke.com * www.neunabertechnology.com * www.mieffects.com * spudmusicmnl@yahoo.com 09165923814

Offline spankyrigor

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2009, 09:42:34 AM »
Thanks for the review Red_strat.

Micsis and I went to JB ATC several weeks ago and managed to hook up the Cub10 to a 4x12 Mashall and 4x12 Laney. We were both pleased with the output.

BTW how loud did it get? Kaya ba sumabay sa drummer with a 4x12 cab?
We are the authorized Philippines Dealer for the following brands:

www.strymon.net * www.maxonfx.com * www.voodoolab.com * www.godlyke.com * www.neunabertechnology.com * www.mieffects.com * spudmusicmnl@yahoo.com 09165923814

Offline GuitarFox

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2009, 09:56:07 AM »
i was just referring sa looks sir.. nothing against the amp..

if it sounds good, and for the price, why not diba? walang silbe naman ang good looks kung pangit ang sound sa music world eh, well, may konting silbe, the "wooow" factor.. :-D :-D

+1 sa Wow factor, but my wife will kill me if I get a gorgeous amp  :evil:

Peace.

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2009, 10:09:52 AM »

+1 sa Wow factor, but my wife will kill me if I get a gorgeous amp  :evil:

Peace.

yes, knowing my mom, and others wives, LOL..

anyway ang kakuriputan naman nila eh magppayoff sa pag tagal..

Offline deewantoy_11

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2009, 01:33:12 PM »
Balak ko din yan eh..

Laney Cub10
Vox Pathfinder 15r
At Peavey Envoy pinagpipilian ko :-)

yung cub10 at pathfinder out of stock nga sa moa.,

Offline circles

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2009, 02:03:11 PM »
Balak ko din yan eh..

Laney Cub10
Vox Pathfinder 15r

tol, nagkita ulet tau thread na 'to. talagang nagbabasa ka ng reviews ng amps ah. hahaha. laney cub 10, vox pf, peavey envoy, at bandit. aww. hirap pumili. price ang malaking consideration ko pagdating sa huli. hahaha
to express not to impress

http://www.myspace.com/ganireganire

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2009, 02:13:51 PM »
Balak ko din yan eh..

Laney Cub10
Vox Pathfinder 15r

sa JB harrisson plaza nakita ko meron pa ah, pinapatry nga sakin nun salesman eh, bait mga tao doon..