hulika

Author Topic: The Stratocaster Thread  (Read 1177170 times)

Offline fraudulentzodiac

• Philmusicus Addictus
The Stratocaster Thread
« on: September 20, 2008, 06:46:58 PM »
http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,19276.0.html

Since the old thread got locked due to someone's ethical posts, and since I'm responsible for it (sorry about that) I'll start the "continuation" of the previous thread. I posted the link above btw. Don't worry, I won't post anything that might lead to this thread being locked anymore even if that moron posts again. Again apologies to the strat fans in this forum for my misbehavior in the previous thread.

The same thing, anything about the stratocaster(probably the most popular and widely used guitar type in the whole world) can be posted here.

why I love the stratocaster? David Gilmour and Eric Johnson showed me a lot of reasons why. :wink:

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: The Stratocaster Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 07:23:52 PM »
yes the stratocaster...

it's a harder beast to tame than a Gibson Les Paul, because a strat has a longer scale than an LP...the extra tension makes you fight the strings a little harder, coaxing a heavier attack on the strings.

SRV, Hendrix, EJ, Clapton, Beck ...all are masters of the stratocaster...

you can't deny their influence on modern guitar playing....and they(we) have Leo Fender to thank.
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline lateralis

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 09:10:19 PM »

The almighty strat. Man, I love its distinct twangy sound.

Offline cacophony

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 09:44:57 PM »
How does a strat compared to a PRS?

Offline fraudulentzodiac

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 10:15:50 PM »
hehe try eric clapton vs billy martin or jimi hendrix vs mark tremonti. :lol:
I'm kidding of course... :wink:

medyo iba sila bro, well depende what PRS exactly?

Offline joshnerez

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 10:19:27 PM »
oh 'the stratocaster'.. oh the bliss..
uhhh hmmnn..  :-D
"It is not great men who changes the world, but weak men in the hands of a great God."

Offline georgieporgy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 10:24:29 PM »
it really is the most versatile axe around :-D
Vice Chancellor of the SD-1 COALITION

Offline tam_guitar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 10:53:51 PM »
it really is the most versatile axe around :-D

but noisy when stock...
unless u have the bread to install new noiseless pups

There is no tone. There is only music.

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 10:57:22 PM »
....the PRS is a different thread.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline Red_Strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 01:11:41 AM »
The stratocaster. The first time I saw a red one on TV, I knew I was in love. :lol:
Neck pickup tone pa lang, ulam na.

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 01:15:30 AM »
Cacophony -- Why even compare a strat to any PRS?  Completely different animals.

Offline andrton

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 01:37:12 AM »
saw bluenote's vintage pic thru the old thread...pity i can't directly quote it here... :-D

yes...the strat...so......

VERSATILE.... :roll:

i also think its not fair to compare the strat to a PRS or an LP or even a tele for that matter. guitars are generally built for a purpose and cater to a specific sound and a specific player.

to each his own, ika nga.. :-)

Offline swinger

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2008, 02:11:29 AM »
yes! i agree with all of you!

but, IMHO, you still have to bring back up guitar. well not exactly back up. preferably wth humbuckers.

especially when your playing diff. genres in one night, session etc. :wink:

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2008, 02:48:17 AM »
....the PRS is a different thread.

mali. the PRS is a different guitar. :-D :-D :-D
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2008, 02:57:58 AM »
I used to drool over traditional Stratocaster guitars (with traditional meaning SSS pickups, no Floyd Rose bridge, two tone knobs, one volume knob, 5-way switch). But over the course of time, I've come to realize that I really prefer Strats with humbucking bridge pickups. High gain or overwound single coil bridge pickups don't cut it for me; I need a meaty humbucker tone sometimes :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline swinger

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2008, 03:04:37 AM »
I used to drool over traditional Stratocaster guitars (with traditional meaning SSS pickups, no Floyd Rose bridge, two tone knobs, one volume knob, 5-way switch). But over the course of time, I've come to realize that I really prefer Strats with humbucking bridge pickups. High gain or overwound single coil bridge pickups don't cut it for me; I need a meaty humbucker tone sometimes :)

exactly! thats why im thinking, actually gassing for a SUHR micheal landau strat! :-D

ang MAHAL kasi! :-D

Offline borgy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2008, 07:19:43 AM »
Torn between two lovers.. feeling like a fool.. loving both of you is breaking all the rules...

I thought my Suhr tele will be my main axe... Then the CS 56 came... yun.. di ko na pinapansin si Suhr. badtrip. Iba pa rin ang strat!
Gibson ES-335 dot Historic, 1978  Fender Sunburst Strat. Suhr Classic T. McNeill OM guitar, Yamaha APX7,Fender Ultralight, Brown Note 18w, Purkhiser Amp, Firebelly Deluxe Reverb,  Mad Professor Little Green Wonder, AYA Drivesta,

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2008, 08:50:28 AM »
Torn between two lovers.. feeling like a fool.. loving both of you is breaking all the rules...

I thought my Suhr tele will be my main axe... Then the CS 56 came... yun.. di ko na pinapansin si Suhr. badtrip. Iba pa rin ang strat!

Wait till you stumble upon a Suhr Strat... Bwahahaha!
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline Chum

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2008, 09:51:51 AM »
Hi guys...

What are your favorite strat sounds?  I like positions two and four on the switch, with the tone rolled off a bit, about 6-8...  Actually, I love all of the sounds, but the ones I use the most are the neck only pickup or pos. 1, then 2 and/or 4...  Of course, when its time to go wild, I go to the bridge or 5, with the volume rolled up all the way  :-D

The first ever guitar I bought was a strat copy, which had the standard wiring except that it had this push button switch added to the pickguard (like a light switch  :-D).  I never found out what it did (sold the guitar off to "upgrade" to a Tele years ago), but it gave me about two extra sounds... Which leads to my question: are there any mods you would suggest to get unique but useable sounds?  So far mine are all stock wiring....

By the way, I love Tokais  :-D :-D  Currently, I still have my Springysound and I got a Silverstar for comparison...  Both keepers  :-D :-D

Here's some pics:

Tokai Springysound

This one is all stock, no mods except the usual set-up for playability…  :-D

Tokai Silverstar

This one has been modded a bit: when I got it, the former owner had routed the pickup cavities using a chisel of some sort, so I had Jon Dela Cruz fix that…  Then, he suggested shielded paint for lower noise…  The stock middle pickup was also dead when I got it, but Jon fixed that as well…  And I got some folded saddles for it, the stock ones were block saddles…  Then there’s the tortoise pickguard…  :mrgreen:

Of course, I do have a Fender…  :lol:

This one originally had a white 3 ply pickguard, but I think the tortoise looks waaaaayyyy better…..  All stock as well, even the wiring….  This one has the Delta tone circuitry…

Love them all!!!  :mrgreen:

Chum
Immanuel Kant, BUT Genghis Khan!!!

Offline fraudulentzodiac

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2008, 09:56:25 AM »
Hi guys...

What are your favorite strat sounds?  I like positions two and four on the switch, with the tone rolled off a bit, about 6-8...  Actually, I love all of the sounds, but the ones I use the most are the neck only pickup or pos. 1, then 2 and/or 4...  Of course, when its time to go wild, I go to the bridge or 5, with the volume rolled up all the way  :-D

The first ever guitar I bought was a strat copy, which had the standard wiring except that it had this push button switch added to the pickguard (like a light switch  :-D).  I never found out what it did (sold the guitar off to "upgrade" to a Tele years ago), but it gave me about two extra sounds... Which leads to my question: are there any mods you would suggest to get unique but useable sounds?  So far mine are all stock wiring....

By the way, I love Tokais  :-D :-D  Currently, I still have my Springysound and I got a Silverstar for comparison...  Both keepers  :-D :-D

Here's some pics:

Tokai Springysound

This one is all stock, no mods except the usual set-up for playability…  :-D

Tokai Silverstar

This one has been modded a bit: when I got it, the former owner had routed the pickup cavities using a chisel of some sort, so I had Jon Dela Cruz fix that…  Then, he suggested shielded paint for lower noise…  The stock middle pickup was also dead when I got it, but Jon fixed that as well…  And I got some folded saddles for it, the stock ones were block saddles…  Then there’s the tortoise pickguard…  :mrgreen:

Of course, I do have a Fender…  :lol:

This one originally had a white 3 ply pickguard, but I think the tortoise looks waaaaayyyy better…..  All stock as well, even the wiring….  This one has the Delta tone circuitry…

Love them all!!!  :mrgreen:

Chum

chief, is the springy sound a '57 RI? ang ganda eh. :-)

and yeah, I only use position 1, 2, and 5.(bridge,bridge mid, and neck) :lol:

Offline fraudulentzodiac

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2008, 10:06:53 AM »
Here are the four stratocasters that have come and gone, isa na lang natira hehe.
1.)Fender Squier Series Stratocaster MIK, my first strat ever.

2.)Fender American Series/Highway One PartsCaster, I assembled it myself and I really regret letting it go... :cry:

3.)1979 Fender Stratocaster MIA, this sounded great, but it just wasn't playable for me, the body's too heavy! :lol:

It's the one on the right.

4.)And last but not least, probably the best strat I have owned and tried, my 2006 Fender American Deluxe V-Neck Stratocaster w/EMGDG20 and graphtech nut/saddles. :-D

This is the one I decided to keep and never let go. It will age with me haha. :lol:

as far as I can remember I had a Squier Standard Strat too, but it only stayed with me for two weeks or less. :lol:

Offline orangeogre

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2008, 10:20:31 AM »
I used to hate stratocasters, up until I bought my first strat from mr. pentatonic. A white fender MIJ standard with a maple neck and 22 frets. Sold it to Leech so I could buy another with a rosewood neck. I think she's still with him.

I have 3 guitars, a tele, an SG and a strat, the strat I always, always play at home, but I seldom bring it on gigs. My SG and tele are for gigs.

But my most memorable and best sounding gig was when I used my strat.

Iba talaga, guma-gwapo ako kapag yun ang gamit ko eh  :evil:

Offline borgy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2008, 10:28:34 AM »
Wait till you stumble upon a Suhr Strat... Bwahahaha!

Wag po koya!
Gibson ES-335 dot Historic, 1978  Fender Sunburst Strat. Suhr Classic T. McNeill OM guitar, Yamaha APX7,Fender Ultralight, Brown Note 18w, Purkhiser Amp, Firebelly Deluxe Reverb,  Mad Professor Little Green Wonder, AYA Drivesta,

Offline fraudulentzodiac

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2008, 10:33:47 AM »
Hehe still dreaming of owning either a Fender CS '57 RI to my specs, a Tom Anderson or a Suhr. :lol:

Offline nathanfadera

• Netizen Level
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2008, 11:25:37 AM »
Nothing beats a strat.  Well that's for me.  I love the strat cause it's so flexible.  Naalala ko nung 15 ako binilhan ako ng mom ko ng strat.  Tapos nung naging serious na ko sa guitar I was wishing na sana Ibanez RG nalang binili niya sakin...  but later on I realized...  Grabe buti nalang strat binigay sakin.  Although ang ganda rin talaga ng Ibanez RG, a strat is a classic.  Mismong guitara.  Kung babae siya coboy na babae na kahit saan pwede mong dalhin at sobrang sarap kausapin.  Hahaha. :mrgreen: