hulika

Author Topic: Need Opinions on ZVEX Box of Rock -- I guess this goes out to the US guys  (Read 10445 times)

Offline oasgomez-is-banned

• Forum Fanatic
I know someone or some people on this forum have tried it out or are currently owning one.

1.  What do you guys think of it?
2.  What set up brought out the best of the ZVEX Box of Rock?
3.  Is it too bassy?
4.  What does it sound like?

I just bought one thats coming this weekend and I just wanted to jump start my experimentation.  I was not really impressed with the ZVEX SHO.    Its Zachary's first Distortion unit, so I thought why not give it try given that it took him this long to come out with a Distortion effects pedal.  So, this is really something that I am willing to gamble US$300 on.

Also, I am excited about the Fulltone GT500 though its suppose to only be shipping out this week in the US.  Just by chance, any PhilAms got to try it out?

Offline vhunter

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Need Opinions on ZVEX Box of Rock -- I guess this goes out to the US guys
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 01:37:09 AM »
I hear lots of great things about the box of rock. I'm looking for one as well :) . The fulltone gt500 hasnt shipped. I preordered one about a month ago... hahaha.. theyll inform me as soon as stock gets in.

Offline eders19

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 01:44:12 AM »
I know someone or some people on this forum have tried it out or are currently owning one.

3.  Is it too bassy?

I just bought one thats coming this weekend and I just wanted to jump start my experimentation.  I was not really impressed with the ZVEX SHO.    Its Zachary's first Distortion unit, so I thought why not give it try given that it took him this long to come out with a Distortion effects pedal.  So, this is really something that I am willing to gamble US$300 on.

Also, I am excited about the Fulltone GT500 though its suppose to only be shipping out this week in the US.  Just by chance, any PhilAms got to try it out?

oas, i wanna ask about the SHO, what didn't you like about it? i'm considering in getting one kasi, not really for  overdrive but simply as a clean boost and a way to split my guitar signal. with those factors that i mentioned, how does it fair? and for the purposes that i mentioned, would you recommend something else?

thanks!  :-D
with or without you...

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 02:05:49 AM »

3.  Is it too bassy?

question dude.... I see you are collection pedals now.  Can't you duplicate those tones that pedals produce using your amps? Why not buy another amp?

As you know...there is nothing like a tone produced by a guitar plugged directly to a tube amp.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline plugzzzz

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 03:13:12 AM »

3.  Is it too bassy?

question dude.... I see you are collection pedals now.  Can't you duplicate those tones that pedals produce using your amps? Why not buy another amp?

As you know...there is nothing like a tone produced by a guitar plugged directly to a tube amp.

i agree with this one :-D di ba kaya ng diesel herbert mo tunog ng box of rock???...
Kapag merong tanong o ikay naguguluhan igoogle mo

PLUGELECTRONIC'S RECTORIZER

Offline tele-tubby

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 03:18:41 AM »
i agree with this one :-D di ba kaya ng diesel herbert mo tunog ng box of rock???...

:-D

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 05:49:54 AM »

:-D

it's in his fingers, pare  :-D
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline jun_gats

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 06:08:37 AM »
sayang di ako makakapg bigay ng opinion, maganda pa nmn ata mga review dyan   :-D

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 09:07:58 AM »

3.  Is it too bassy?

I'm waiting for the answer myself cuz this seems to contradict Oas statements in the past...  But seriously, let's wait for his answer as I'm sure it will be interesting if not intriguing.  Baka may matutunan tayong lahat...

Listen up and get educated, PhilMusicians!!!   :-D

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 09:09:25 AM »
I have got three non master volume amps that love pedals and I might be buying a Komet Concorde.  So, need to beef up the pedals.  Its mix and match for me.  Different feel and sound for each set-up but same characteristics.

Dont yet know the sound of the Box of Rock, so I will not yet know if the Herbert can approximate it.  Though lately, I have been tinkering around with the idea of sending the Direct Out of the Herbert into the guitar input of the 1972 Marshall Super Lead.  Different sound raw.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2007, 09:14:16 AM »
I have got three non master volume amps that love pedals and I might be buying a Komet Concorde.  So, need to beef up the pedals.  Its mix and match for me.  Different feel and sound for each set-up but same characteristics.

Dont yet know the sound of the Box of Rock, so I will not yet know if the Herbert can approximate it.  Though lately, I have been tinkering around with the idea of sending the Direct Out of the Herbert into the guitar input of the 1972 Marshall Super Lead.  Different sound raw.

Ah, ok.  So you're using the pedals as boost or to gain-stage with the amps?   Welcome to the dark side. :-)

You should get a Klon for some of your modern-voiced  (v-shaped eq) and high-gain amps.  I think swak yun.  Clean boost with a bit of mids bumped -- just right for those kinds of amps (as well as cranked Fender combos)

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2007, 09:17:54 AM »
The ZVEX SHO did not really add any richness in tone.  It was as if the volume level was adjusted higher.  Just did not excite me.  I want to give ZVEX another chance with a distortion pedal because I am not really into fuzz which he has several pedals.

By the way, it is not my intention to make every piece of gear I have to sound like a Herbert.  This is how I pay for my own education in tone.  Taking risks on boutique pedals and trying out new stuff.  So, its your choice if you want to listen to me.

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2007, 09:22:30 AM »
Deltaslim,

I will be honest.  I wish  you kept your Klon.  I want to try it out again on different set ups even though wala akong Fender.  Its just fun to combine different amps, effects with different guitars.  Could lend you some stuff sana so you could gig with it...  Sabihin mo kay Arie dalhin ang COT for you to try out in your upcoming gigs.  Gamit naman yata niya is the modded TS9.

Offline Bart

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2007, 09:31:44 AM »
I know Pallas is into ZVex. Maybe he can answer.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2007, 10:02:09 AM »
Deltaslim,

I will be honest.  I wish  you kept your Klon.  I want to try it out again on different set ups even though wala akong Fender.  Its just fun to combine different amps, effects with different guitars.  Could lend you some stuff sana so you could gig with it...  Sabihin mo kay Arie dalhin ang COT for you to try out in your upcoming gigs.  Gamit naman yata niya is the modded TS9.

I don't regret selling my Klon.  I like to try stuff out but keep only those that eventually proves to be the 'go-to' pedal and actually gets used a lot.  I'm to poor to keep expensive stuff that does one trick on a couple of songs in our entire repertoire.  But you never know till you try, so I often save up to try some of the nice stuff and keep what I really like (but what I like can change too).   Besides, I can get about 70-90% of that Klon 'effect' from my FD2's uncompressed mode or certain settings in the Tim.  As you know, it's the last few percentage points of improvement that's expensive and hard to justify for a player with limited budget.

I've heard the COT na several times at rehearsals. Pati na rin yung Zendrive ni Steve. Pareho namang maganda but they're different animals, and sometimes mapili sa amp (especially pag pangit yung amp).  It's cool to hear the differences between those 2 and my FD2 and Tim.  :-)   Hopefully, with more rehearsals and gigs, mas maging noticeable ang pros and cons ng mga pedals namin -- like a long-running shootout.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 10:31:47 AM by deltaslim »

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2007, 10:20:33 AM »
The ZVEX SHO did not really add any richness in tone.  It was as if the volume level was adjusted higher.  Just did not excite me.  I want to give ZVEX another chance with a distortion pedal because I am not really into fuzz which he has several pedals.

By the way, it is not my intention to make every piece of gear I have to sound like a Herbert.  This is how I pay for my own education in tone.  Taking risks on boutique pedals and trying out new stuff.  So, its your choice if you want to listen to me.
...you need to hook up with rondalla rockstar...if you want boutique..... all his stuff is boutique.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline Bart

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2007, 10:49:37 AM »
I want to get a Tim or a Timmy. It's the four month wait that I can't bear.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2007, 11:18:39 AM »
Heard good things about the Box of Rock and if the workmanship is anything like the other pedals, the BOR should be top notch. I just picked up a Wooly Mammoth and the sound is crazy fat for bass. The cartoony drawing is not as crazy as the other pedals but its all good.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2007, 11:26:05 AM »
I want to get a Tim or a Timmy. It's the four month wait that I can't bear.

I say put in you order and forget about it. Before you know it, ayan na!   For the price, sobrang sulit siya, Bart.  Mas mura pa sa TS808 sa local store e.

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2007, 12:35:28 PM »

...you need to hook up with rondalla rockstar...if you want boutique..... all his stuff is boutique.

And an all around great person pa. Ang bait bait pa (sumisipsip para sa Victoria, nyahaha!!!)  :evil: :-D
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 04:56:23 PM by stratman1 »

Offline eders19

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2007, 03:47:36 PM »
The ZVEX SHO did not really add any richness in tone.  It was as if the volume level was adjusted higher.  Just did not excite me.  I want to give ZVEX another chance with a distortion pedal because I am not really into fuzz which he has several pedals.

By the way, it is not my intention to make every piece of gear I have to sound like a Herbert.  This is how I pay for my own education in tone.  Taking risks on boutique pedals and trying out new stuff.  So, its your choice if you want to listen to me.

a okay, did you try using the dual output feature of the SHO? was there any drastic signal loss? with what you said, think i can live with that since i don't want it to color my tone too much (but then again, it's what you're paying for.... i dunno! hahaha!)

if there's anyone other than oas who can give their opinions about the SHO, please post them as well! :-D
with or without you...

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2007, 04:11:37 PM »
aya_yuson
Forum Fanatic

Quote from: oasgomez on Today at 12:38:03 AM
Skunky,

Pabayaan mo na.  Some guys are really into the digital thing.  Its their loss if they don't get  a chance to experiment because of their ignorance.  One day, somebody who plugs straight will whack them out of their digital existence.  I noticed that sometimes guys do not have enough time to set up and go best with what they are comfortable (<-- with)

lalo na guys with "tone is the hands" type of thinking.  Its sad but at least we get to here

(don't you mean "HEAR"?)

how bad they sound.

By the way, for the guys who cannot afford, I suggest you save up and stop pitying yourself.  You do not need a tons of amps, guitars and effects.  With only one good sounding guitar, and one good sounding amp and one good souding effect -- You will be at least 70% happy for the rest of your life.  I bet most of the guys who complain that they cannot afford have more than one guitar that they own and several effects. 

Tsk tsk tsk... 'kala ko ba atenista ka, Alex? Tsk tsk tsk tsk....

It's pretty basic grammar and spelling. Guess money can't buy certain things... like brains... or talent... or skill.

Tone is in the lola! Sometimes it's also in the pigtails... but mostly it's in the lola.
 c",)
<3 Love is the absence of fear. Fear none. Love all. <3

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2007, 04:12:58 PM »
aya_yuson
Forum Fanatic

Quote from: oasgomez on Today at 01:09:59 AM
Skunky,

A lot of people do hear and non-guitarist (NON-GUITARISTS... plural ang noun/subject mo, Alex ("people") so plural din dapat ang "non-guitarists") at that.  You forget that philmusic is just a microcosm of the world and lots of people outside philmusic know what sounds GOOD they way we know it.  If Wally, Arie, Gabe, and Steve who don't post here can all agree with me that the Diezel sounds killer to the point that 3 out of 4 of them say its the best amp they have heard in their life to date, then we are not alone.  When Wally was playing in that private party, the guy next to us totally noticed the difference moving from a Marshall reissue SLP Head into a Diezel Herbert. (<-- TO, not INTO... i.e., "moving from a Marshall reissue SLP head TO a Diezel Herbert")
When we had our last tone part (<-- don't you mean "PARTY"?)long ago to celebrate a party for one of Arie's kamag anak (correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe this should be hyphenated, as in "KAMAG-ANAK") , the combination of the soldano, vox, bruno and bogner made the guest think it sounded like a CD.  Their ears were as fresh and were so impressed with how the whole thing sounded.  (<--- WHAT THE BLEEPIN' F-WORD KINDA SENTENCE IS THAT?!?!? I don't even know where to begin trying to correct it....  Their ears were as fresh as... WHAT?!? AS FRESH AS WHAT?!?!)
The oldies even commented (THAT) they (THEY'D) never heard electric guitar that sounded so good in their life.   

Besides there are guys who don't like the 6 Underground sound that some people say is great.  The problem is:  THEY JUST DON'T SHOW UP BECAUSE IT SOUNDS BAD.  Besides, why worry about them?  Let them learn the hard way. 

Are you learning the hard way yet, Alex?

If you can't watch your content, at least have the decency to maintain your form!

<3 Love is the absence of fear. Fear none. Love all. <3

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2007, 04:33:07 PM »
Abyss,

1) What other ZVEX pedels do you recommend?
2) Sino pala ang avatar mo?

Eders,

Try a PM to extreme1699.  I believe he still has his ZVEX SHO.

Delta,

That's best -- a long running shoot out.  Enjoy lang kayo.   COT is very picky.  But with the right combination, the COT just sounds killer in a league of its own. 

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2007, 06:29:22 PM »
I still need to send my zvex BOR back to Zack though. The boost side is pretty a pretty cool feature. I havent tried the SHO but sabi sa site nya its identical BUT less glassy daw ang dating sa boost side ng BOR.

The distortron side ng BOR is where i get all confused. The gain kicks in only around 3:00 on he dial. Ive watched the videos and emailed him back and forth and his decision is to send it back.

The packing was bad though when i recieved it. Nasa plastic lang sya with just the box, rag and the free poster to protect the pedal....and it travelled half the world away....bummer :oops: He didnt ship it though so it aint his fault but his authorized dealers are to blame.

Ive been so busy lately i havent sent the pedal till now.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 06:31:19 PM by pallas »
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose