hulika

Author Topic: Who is OASGOMEZ and why does he exist?  (Read 33282 times)

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
Who is OASGOMEZ and why does he exist?
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2006, 10:22:08 PM »
Ang galing mo talaga, Alex. Nandito kami... ang fans club mo.  :lol: :mrgreen:

uy... may nag-delete ng post. nahiya. hehehe.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2006, 10:47:36 PM »
does anyone know this guy's background in guitar playing?  dating rock star ba ito in the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, etc.?  was he a guitar major in college?  renowned classical guitar player who's played in the white house?  apprentice ba siya ni don grosh o ni don johnson?

he knows his stuff, but that knowledge can be amassed by anyone with a passion for reading/learning.  i'm curious as to why he thinks we should listen to him... why he always uses himself as an example for what is good or not good.

Offline greasykid

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2006, 10:54:56 PM »
Quote from: Al_Librero
Ang galing mo talaga, Alex. Nandito kami... ang fans club mo.  :lol: :mrgreen:

uy... may nag-delete ng post. nahiya. hehehe.

Sayang na-miss ko!  Dapat kino-quote agad para may record kahit burahin ng orig na poster.  :D

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2006, 10:57:04 PM »
natatandaan ko pa yung post. kaso baka magalit sa akin yung member pag ni-reconstruct ko. hehehe.

PRSMan,
his playing. i can say something, but it's second hand info. kaya wag na lang. sayang, the guy who deleted his post has heard him play personally.

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2006, 01:12:40 AM »
Quote from: PRSMan
does anyone know this guy's background in guitar playing?  dating rock star ba ito in the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, etc.?  was he a guitar major in college?  renowned classical guitar player who's played in the white house?  apprentice ba siya ni don grosh o ni don johnson?

he knows his stuff, but that knowledge can be amassed by anyone with a passion for reading/learning.  i'm curious as to why he thinks we should listen to him... why he always uses himself as an example for what is good or not good.
hmmm interesting point....

yeah...and about name droppings....nowadays...you can talk to anybody who's anybody....like luthier's and amp makers...hang out in forums where serious musicians and amp tech hang out....I do that all of the time and talked to these awesome musicians and amp techs.  :wink:  ...no big deal. I go to an amp tech and guitar tech that service celebrities here in CA.....big names.....again no big deal.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2006, 01:30:05 AM »
phil -- i-try mo na ang in 'n out burger animal style... biliiiiis!  you won't regret it -- unless mataas na ang cholesterol mo...  :lol:

there's another burger joint in los angeles that my cousin is fond of... can't remember the name of the place...

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2006, 01:50:02 AM »
dammit! bakit kayo ganyan!? alam niyo naman kakaunti lang ang mapagpipiliang burger houses dito sa pilipinas, tapos mang-iinggit pa kayo! hahahaha!

i suppose American-made burgers are the best in the world. lol!

Offline lykenhowl

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2006, 02:01:10 AM »

Boutique? :lol:

Dont waste ur money on those Pinoy made Burgers! Eat the Real Thing! I'd rather use my credit card and get those Mc Donalds online rather than eating those low-end "Makdo" burgers. :lol:

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2006, 02:03:06 AM »

Al -- I dare you to post the name of any Asian burger maker whether Korean, Vietnamese, Indian, Indonesian, Malaysian, Filipinos, etc. on the level of In 'n Out.  Which means does your favorite local burger maker a) understand how a burger should really be designed -- diameter of the patty, thickness of the mustard and mayo spread, spacing of the sesame seeds on the bun, etc., b) have In 'n Out's exclusive clientele of ... er... hungry people to extensively test each new burger creation released, c) have In 'n Out's many years experience, and of course d) In 'n Out's stash of ground beef, pickles, onions, tomatoes, lettuce, etc. that are of course much better than the ones available in Farmer's?   :lol:

BTW, I always craaaave for a Tropical Hut hamburger -- meron pa ba nun?

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2006, 02:25:43 AM »
eh sino ban ang nag invent ng hamburger ? di ba amerikano? they have been cooking this stuff for hundreds of years ...so da best talaga ang American burgers.....IN and OUT da BEEEST (bisay accent)....although CBA, CBM, or CBAS ang mga burgers na to...ang recipe talaga ang pinaka-important.

LEgend: CBA- Cook By American teenager
             CBM - Cooked By Mexican teenager
             CBAS - Cooked By Asian teenager
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2006, 02:46:51 AM »
wala e... the only high profile international burger luthier i know is Ronald McDonald. Wendy closed her shop here in my town. i'll probably meet up with Ronald tomorrow if he's around. i'll try to have our picture taken on his bench. maybe i can get to make him comment about the in and out burgers of yours and how well his mass-produced burgers stack against them. :lol:

i'd try to ask jollibee as well, but i can never tell if he's serious or not since he's always got that weird smile on his face.  :lol:

sorry ha... medyo bitin ako pagdating sa exposure sa boutique burgers e. hanggang Brother's Burger lang ako. hehehehe.

onga pala... di ko na sure kung saan pa merong Tropical Hut. nalugi kasi yung nandito sa may amin e.

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2006, 02:51:12 AM »
so.... has anyone of you boutique burger aficionados ever had a hard-on while eating those burgers? hahahaha!

Offline sonnyrayvaughn

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2006, 03:05:33 AM »
Quote from: Phil
eh sino ban ang nag invent ng hamburger ? di ba amerikano? they have been cooking this stuff for hundreds of years ...so da best talaga ang American burgers.....IN and OUT da BEEEST (bisay accent)....although CBA, CBM, or CBAS ang mga burgers na to...ang recipe talaga ang pinaka-important.

naku ikaw talagang bata ka! hehe

Al, wala ng Wendy's at Tropical Hut? di nga??

Offline YJMCowboy

« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2006, 03:07:53 AM »
Okay boys here's one for the records.

We go way back Alex and me.

People ask why does he exist. Alex exists in these forums because of one
thing, his uncompromising passion for tone. He lives and breathes tone.
He is definitely an expert when it comes to amps. Why? some of you may ask. Because he's tried em all that's why. That's why he hates Line 6, Peavey, Valvestates, Di marzio and Duncans etc. Common now, people know Digital sucks compared to a tube amp, if you really want
PURE TONE.  Guys like Alex know Zoom sucks. And that multi effects
suck tone.  

There's more, to mention a few,
He's bought all Boss stomp boxes and Dod's you can ever dream of even borrowing. He's had
at one time more than 20 guitars, inlcluding a Vai which he sold because he wasn't satisfied with the tone. He sold most of the gear and settled for his best sounding ones. He has amps in the thousands of dollars range. He has been in gear shootouts with some of the country's gear collectors.
He mods his amps when he is after a certain sound. He spent thousands of bucks to mod a VOX to get the tone he was searching for. He has co hosted a tone party with the country's finest luthier. He has his amps moded by the country's finest amp repair guru. When you have an expensive amp you go to only one guy to fix. Alex passion is in
hearing the ultimate tone from a good guitar plugged into a good
amp. Getting the ultimate guitar sound. He's spent his life trying out gear
and tweaking gear.  

More than 10 years ago I didn't know jack about getting a tone.
Alex took me to his house and let me try out his stuff. That's when i started learning about gear. We actually argue about tone all the time.
It doesn't bother me. I consider myself very lucky to have him as a close friend. I've learned so much from Alex, from picking a "really good sounding" guitar to tweaking amps and signal chains, pick-ups, pedals,
and differences between amps. My ears learned to listen to the subtleties
in tone, the things that gearheads listen to. I wouldn't have leanred those things without the endless arguements with Alex. I've learned to appreciate my own gear more because i have listened to the high end stuff,  I have also learned to judge amps based on what they are, rather than what they're not. Alex has given me a perspective upon which i can judge gear objectively.  

I don't consider him as a guy who likes to knock other people's gear down but rather someone who likes to show other people what good gear sounds like from his perspective.
 And i'll tell you if there's one  guy who knows amps it's alex. So you CAN't say his statements are baseless really. It would probably shock you guys to know the gear he is trying out, Boooooooooteek is the correct word. Pick ups the price of an overpriced amp at upanco for instance.
This is a guy who will stop at nothing to get great tone.
His standards are much  much higher than most of us really.

Don't feel offended, he decided to set them that way, it's just the way it is.And i don't remember Alex ever saying i'm going to be this bad ass guitarist, That's me ( laughs the hell out ). But what i always remember
about alex is his uncompromising passion for quality when it comes to any
form of music gear.

So instead of bashing the guy why not make friends, maybe you'll learn something like i did. He's actually a nice guy in person.

And chill, don't get your feathers roughed up over what i said. I still believe a good guitarist can kick some ass live using a Valvestate cranked,
but the same guitarist with a high end tube amp, like Alex would say
"my guitar tone will kill you" , and that will blow the place to tonal nirvana.

Don't expect Alex to praise your gear like a Tone sucking fake. He's not like that, he will tell it like it is from his perspective, honestly. I don't think he will ever say a Peavey bandit sounds awesome because to his ears it doesn't compare to his Soldano, or his Bogner, or his 74 100 watt Super Lead ( a bad ass amp ).

For an aspiring giging guy like you and me, we have to live with the valvstates and the peaveys because that's what they have on stage.
We have no choice but to learn to like it. Even the JCM 900 in my room.
I'm never gonna buy a Soldano, but I'm glad i had a chance to try one.
Because Alex was nice enough to let me.

And to think, this thread is so hot. If Alex was so wrong about the things he said, why does this thread even exist. Maybe he's right after all.
If what he said wasn't worth jack, then why are we even talking about it.
I mean we're all grown ups here right, what's guitar life without a little spice.

Whew! that's it, I'm done hear my friend.

8)

He's actually a NICE guy if you meet him in person.
Pumping music, sex and iron...

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2006, 03:27:07 AM »
Quote from: YJMCowboy
And to think, this thread is so hot. If Alex was so wrong about the things he said, why does this thread even exist. Maybe he's right after all.
If what he said wasn't worth jack, then why are we even talking about it.
I mean we're all grown ups here right, what's guitar life without a little spice.

Whew! that's it, I'm done hear my friend.

8)

He's actually a NICE guy if you meet him in person.

i never said that his posts weren't informative.  he posts some things that are good to know.  but it's the "holier than thou" attitude that he has that's irritating.  from my perspective, it's attitude that is primarily in question... knowledge is a secondary point that i'm not in a position to challenge because personally, i don't have the patience to read up on all those details.

sure he's probably tried a lot of stuff in his life -- amps, guitars, etc.  but c'mon, why should he be the ultimate testimonial?  if your dear friend were say a really good guitar player siguro he'd be more credible.  then i'd view his feedback differently.  but the only thing he's demonstrated is that he's read up on a lot of these things, has tried stuff out... and now he just wants people to believe him.  respect isn't demanded... it's earned.  do you feel your friend has earned respect?

and about tone, do you honestly believe that there's just one tone out there that we should all aspire to have?  he might have been searching all his life for "the" tone that he likes... and great if he's found it through a combination of guitars and amps... but why the heck should he force his tone on everyone else?  you very well know that tone is subjective... so why bother telling people what they should like or not like?

i'm glad you have a friend in this guy alex.  be a friend to him... get him to change his attitude.

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2006, 03:36:28 AM »
srv,
hindi, sa amin lang nagsara. as in dito sa lugar namin. siyempre meron pa sa ibang lugar dito sa Pilipinas. hehehe.

yjmcowboy,
this thread exists because we're not seeing that nice person you're talking about here in this forum. it would be really great if we did. but since we don't, what does that make him?

this thread exists because while we respect other people's opinion, including yours, someone here does not. that's important because respect is the cornerstone of any forum. all of his opinion are fine. the bad part is that ipinagpipilitan niya sa lahat. he's trying waaaay too hard. rub anything too hard and you get blisters.

and most importantly, this thread exists because of our love for burgers. :lol:

as for that rhetoric on tone sucking, i'll just leave that be. that's your opinion. bahala na yung iba kung mag-react sila.

Offline YJMCowboy

« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2006, 04:10:12 AM »
I'm glad you took my post in good stride, you are indeed a mature
minded individual.

Actually I will talk with him. I have no idea if these posts have upset him
or what.

I actually agree with a lot of the things you said.
True, tone is often subjective, precisely the reason we still argue about tone. Actually Alex asks for my tonal opinion sometimes when he is checking out a guitar. I'm actually flattered since the other two he asks for opinions are the premier amp repair guru and luthier in Manila.
We often argue about tonal theorems he has thought of or I have thought of.

Perhaps people perceive his "passion" as something negative.
But if they knew him in person, things would be different.
Alex is very opinionated with gear but he's a nice guy.

That's the only thing i wanted to say really. I don't want to see people
ganging up on a friend.

About his playing, since most of you ask, Alex can play the guitar well.

I would consider him an amp expert or guitar gear expert.
Like a Bob Bradshaw type of guy, a gearhead. I mean guitar big guns hire Bob to configure gear. I'm sure Bob has tried out a lot of gear. Guitarist like Steve luke and Van halen hire guys like Bob Bradshaw. Being a guitarist is different from being an "amp guy". Guitarist believe their
amp guys. That is how i see Alex, atleast in a Philippine scenario.
if ever there was a kind of business that involved hiring an amp expert to dial in a sound for some big shot player, Alex is surely one of those who would qualify.  He knows how to dial in different sounds, like what type of amp to use for a particular sound.  Clean, crunch, metal, new metal.

That's why i believe him. Though i have my own tonal preference
I always give his theories a good listen and see things from his perspective to broaden my own.

Peace to ya.
Pumping music, sex and iron...

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2006, 06:14:01 AM »
Quote from: sonnyrayvaughn
Quote from: Phil

naku ikaw talagang bata ka! hehe

Al, wala ng Wendy's at Tropical Hut? di nga??

alex to burgers... did you guys see the connection.. i did.. ;)

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2006, 06:15:55 AM »
He has been in gear shootouts with some of the country's gear collectors.

so they stand around comparing how much money they've spent? :shock:

Offline markflo

« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2006, 06:16:48 AM »
Brother's Burgers? nakow...parang PRS lang yang mga burgers na yan...coz you see...

way back in 1995...there was a big demand of PRS burgers...este brothers burgers...so they had to expand their facility in order to provide for the demand...you know the rest...

hehehe
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2006, 06:32:00 AM »
Quote from: markflo
Brother's Burgers? nakow...parang PRS lang yang mga burgers na yan...coz you see...

way back in 1995...there was a big demand of PRS burgers...este brothers burgers...so they had to expand their facility in order to provide for the demand...you know the rest...

hehehe

so it was no longer "handcrafted"  :lol:

Offline sonnyrayvaughn

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2006, 06:44:03 AM »
I'm glad you took my post in good stride, you are indeed a mature
minded individual.

or what.

I actually agree with a lot of the things you said.
True, tone is often subjective, precisely the reason we still argue about tone. Actually Alex asks for my tonal opinion sometimes when he is checking out a guitar. I'm actually flattered since the other two he asks for opinions are the premier amp repair guru and luthier in Manila.
We often argue about tonal theorems he has thought of or I have thought of.

Alex is very opinionated with gear but he's a nice guy.

ganging up on a friend.

About his playing, since most of you ask, Alex can play the guitar well.

I would consider him an amp expert or guitar gear expert.
Like a Bob Bradshaw type of guy, a gearhead. I mean guitar big guns hire Bob to configure gear. I'm sure Bob has tried out a lot of gear. Guitarist like Steve luke and Van halen hire guys like Bob Bradshaw. Being a guitarist is different from being an "amp guy". Guitarist believe their
amp guys. That is how i see Alex, atleast in a Philippine scenario.
if ever there was a kind of business that involved hiring an amp expert to dial in a sound for some big shot player, Alex is surely one of those who would qualify.  He knows how to dial in different sounds, like what type of amp to use for a particular sound.  Clean, crunch, metal, new metal.

That's why i believe him. Though i have my own tonal preference
I always give his theories a good listen and see things from his perspective to broaden my own.

Peace to ya.

YJM... im sure Alex or Mr Gomez is very passionate and knowledgeable in his tone venture... and you know what, everyone would like him too, like you do, if he practices a little TACT in his posts... instead of dissing non- bowteek gears, he should just say something like:
well a peavey 5150 is nice but a soldano sounds better because of these reasons..instead of saying something in the tone of:
your 5150 sucks because Amp Tech Expert XXX from Timbuktu says so, period!

kunwari, kung peavey bandit lang ang amp ko, since he knows his stuff so well, why not give me an advice how I can make my bandit sound somewhat decent.

we all spend our hard earned money on gears we can afford, some can only afford an SX strat copy while others can buy higher model stuffs...but it does not give anyone the right to say that only the expensive models are worth playing.

minsan lang kasi, when he posts something, it has to be his way or the highway. which is ok under communist rule, but in forums, people will get ticked.

i am sure his tone quest aint over yet, otherwise, he wouldnt be buying any more expensive gears...but what if thru his search for tone, makikita lang pala nya hinahanap nya sa isang Roland Jazz Chorus or sa isang 15w na Park amp? who knows di ba? people change and so does our preferences.

now as for burgers, the champ ng jollibee pa rin ang da best!!

Offline markflo

« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2006, 06:46:36 AM »
exactly jack in a vox...instead of using twigs to start fires...they used these contraptions called "ovens"...not sure if they were PCB or whatnot...but you could create these burgers now at a touch of a button! AMAZING....but alas, it was the beginning of the demise of these "handcrafted" burgers

one good thing about this though is...gone was the tedious task of trying to convince the cow to get in between two buns... :)

Quote from: jack in a vox
Quote from: markflo

hehehe

so it was no longer "handcrafted"  :lol:
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2006, 06:58:00 AM »
he is telling me my amps suck :cry: ...but i love my MCamps :evil: ....
i have an awesome Mctone 8)
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2006, 07:53:17 AM »
or what....

Alex is very opinionated with gear but he's a nice guy....

ganging up on a friend....

Hi yjmcowboy (M*ke!)... kumusta na?  

You bring up valid points and as you can see, essentially nobody disagrees with you but only have one thing to add.  Ang point lang naman ng karamihan (incl. me) is that Alex can improve his communication/interpersonal/inter-cultural skills a bit so that he doesn't rub people the wrong way and they appreciate and respect him more as member of a community. Obviously, with his style now, Alex wants to be seen as a source of credible info, or an expert. That's fine. But I believe he could be more effective if he did it in a more agreeable way. If that happens, everybody happy!

FWIW, I've told this to Alex personally in person more than once.  Di naman kami close pero it's the Samaritan thing to do.