hulika

Author Topic: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater  (Read 8922 times)

Offline daleee

• Veteran Member
Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater
« on: September 09, 2010, 09:03:28 AM »
from MikePortnoy.com

This is a sad, sad day....I'm afraid I have some bad news: MP leaves DT - Wednesday, September 08, 2010 8:14 PM
   Wednesday September 8th 2010

I am about to write something I never imagined I'd ever write:

After 25 years, I have decided to leave Dream Theater....the band I founded, led and truly loved for a quarter of a century.

To many people this will come as a complete shock, and will also likely be misunderstood by some, but please believe me that it is not a hasty decision...it is something I have struggled with for the last year or so....

After having had such amazing experiences playing with Hail, Transatlantic and Avenged Sevenfold this past year, I have sadly come to the conclusion that I have recently had more fun and better personal relations with these other projects than I have for a while now in Dream Theater...

Please don't misinterpret me, I love the DT guys dearly and have a long history, friendship and bond that runs incredibly deep with them...it's just that I think we are in serious need of a little break...

Dream Theater was always my baby...and I nurtured that baby every single day and waking moment of my life since 1985...24/7, 365...never taking time off from DT's never-ending responsibilites (even when the band was "off" between cycles)...working overtime and way beyond the call of duty that most sane people ever would do for a band...

But I've come to the conclusion that the DT machine was starting to burn me out...and I really needed a break from the band in order to save my relationship with the other members and keep my DT spirit hungry and inspired.

We have been on an endless write/record/tour cycle for almost 20 years now (of which I have overseen EVERY aspect without a break) and while a few months apart from each other here & there over the years has been much needed and helpful, I honestly hoped the band could simply agree with me to taking a bit of a "hiatus" to recharge our batteries and "save me from ourselves"...

Sadly, in discussing this with the guys, they determined they do not share my feelings and have decided to continue without me rather than take a breather...I even offered to do some occasional work throughout 2011 against my initial wishes, but it was not to be...

While it truly hurts for me to even think of a Dream Theater without Mike Portnoy (hell, my father named the band!!), I do not want to stand in their way...so I have decided to sacrifice myself and simply leave the band so as to not hold them back against their wishes....

Strangely enough, I just read an interview that I recently did that asked me about the future of DT and I talked about "always following your heart and being true to yourself"...sadly I must say that at this particular moment, my heart is not with Dream Theater...and I would simply be "going through the motions", and would honestly NOT be true to myself if I stayed for the sake of obligation without taking the break I felt I needed.

I wish the guys the best and hope the music and legacy we created together is enjoyed by fans for decades to come...I am proud of every album we made, every song we wrote and every show we played....

I'm sorry to all the disappointed DT fans around the world...I really tried to salvage the situation and make it work...I honestly just wanted a break (not a split)...but happiness cannot be forced, it needs to come from within....

You DT fans are the greatest fans in the world and as you all know, I have always busted my ass for you guys and I hope that you will stay with me on my future musical journey, wherever it may lead me....(and as you all know my work ethic, there will surely be no shortage of future MP projects!)

Sadly...
Your fearless ex-leader and drummer,
MP

"Move on be brave, don't weep at my grave, because I am no longer here...
But please never let your memory of me disappear...."
--- The Spirit Carries On

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!  :-o

can't imagine DT without MP...  :-(
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 09:10:35 AM by daleee »

Offline jefisipbata

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 09:15:45 AM »
sad day indeed. i can't imagine DT without portnoy, no offense to petrucci and myung, but for me portnoy is DT.

Offline Riff_6603

• Philmusicus Moderatus
  • Prime Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 09:22:52 AM »
I have to agree with MP on this one.. as the great bill bruford once said, "I leave bands not to become difficult but because I feel I cannot contribute anymore". mahirap pwersahin ang taong burned out na. MP is a really talented and inspiring drummer, an icon and a larger-than-life figure in drumming history as well as with the progressive genre itself. it was DT that decided to move on without him and not MP that decided to leave DT. as loyal fans, best we could do is to keep our fingers crossed and hope that DT would once again unite as the godlike army they had always been. 8-)

Offline jimy james

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 10:00:49 AM »
tuloy paba yung gig nila dito sa Pinas? sino kaya papalo?

Offline samscapular

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 10:38:05 AM »
Sad day it is,sila yung musical heroes ko eh.. :-( anyway this makes my snare limited edition!hehe! So better buy my mp snare sa classified!hehe but seriously nalungkot ako.. :| hay.........

Offline mahikawon666

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 10:40:54 AM »
 :-( :-( :-(

Offline dreamtheaterfan66f

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 10:58:57 AM »
i can't believe this...sad day for dream theater fans

Offline dekturrr

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 11:43:23 AM »
andun pa naman ata si rudess?
so ok pa.
hehehehe
Pr. 23:23a

Buy the truth and do not sell it

Offline pmack

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 02:03:26 PM »
tama lang ginawa niya.
siya naman talaga main man ng DT eh.
25 years na nagmistulang manager/producer siya and ayaw siya bigyan ng mga kabanda niya ng much-needed break...?
tama lang.

Offline kibohead

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 02:09:38 PM »
sayang talaga!!!

Offline deej

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 02:28:53 PM »
wow, ang hirap nang situation...sad day. :-(
lafolo yati, "the voice of the man who knows through the drum."

Offline glennaui

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 02:39:43 PM »
This news literally made my eyes watery...

Man oh man, after all these years??!!...

A7X is a hell of a band, but DT, I mean, I'll say no more but their like a new era of Mozarts only they really kick ass when they do their thing...!

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 03:09:33 PM »
mag da drums na yan sa megadeth hehehe

Offline drumachine

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 03:48:32 PM »
This news literally made my eyes watery...

Man oh man, after all these years??!!...

A7X is a hell of a band, but DT, I mean, I'll say no more but their like a new era of Mozarts only they really kick ass when they do their thing...!

+1 for this. nakalaungkot sobra. tsk!
watch your problem? ;p

Offline drummerboy827

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 04:16:03 PM »
NOOO :((((((

IT WAS THIS DUDE THAT MADE ME THE MUSICIAN I AM TODAY :(((
"Fast practice = slow progress"
"Slow practice = fast progress"

Offline PrayToYourGodz

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010, 04:18:34 PM »
sad day indeed. i can't imagine DT without portnoy, no offense to petrucci and myung, but for me portnoy is DT.
+100 to this bassist ako pero mas fan ako ni portnoy kaysa kay myung  :-D

habang binabasa ko yung statement nya medyo nagtutubig mata ko  :-(
Gusto kong pumunta sa Quirino Grandstand araw-araw at manood ng public execution ng mga presidente, senador, representatives at iba pang mga kurap na kriminal ng bayan. - Dong Abay

Offline samscapular

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2010, 04:57:26 PM »
hahaha parepareho tayo yung mejo naluluha nung binabasa!akala ko ako lang nakaramdam nun!

Offline blacktooth

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2010, 05:52:51 PM »
hala!!! akala ko biro lang.. but when I check Dreamtheater's site.

Sad to say, it was true...

My One and Only Major Influence in Drumming... Left my Most Influenced Band..

Second time na nangyari sa'kin 'to..

First was when Dimebag died.. a big lost in Metal Music.. and in Pantera icon.

and then... ngayon naman si Mike Portnoy...

honestly, nangingiyak nga din ako ngayon...

%^$^!*&$!&*!!!

BAAAKKKKIIIITTTTT!!!!!

I Can't Imagine the Next Dream Theater Tracks with antoher drummer..

Mike Portnoy has it's own Signature Style in drumming...

and that's why Dream Theater is one of the band who has their own musicality.

Who will be the next drummer?

Neil Peart?

Offline lil.drummerboy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2010, 07:06:55 PM »
:(

Offline Orenz

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2010, 08:26:53 PM »
Very very very sad day.

Well, katulad naman ng sinabi ni Portnoy, may chance pa naman siya bumalik sa 2011, that is kung tatanggapin pa siya ng mga bandmates niya. As a musician, maiintindihan naman natin dapat siya. May point sa buhay mo na, gusto mo naman makarinig ng bago, at hindi na lang yung paulit ulit. So para sa ginawa ni Portnoy, hanga ako.

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2010, 10:00:45 PM »
palabas lang yan babalik rin yan wala na siguro maisip na gimik hehe, sya founder eh tapos siya papatalsikin ?

Offline ermonski

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2010, 10:46:09 PM »
palabas lang yan babalik rin yan wala na siguro maisip na gimik hehe, sya founder eh tapos siya papatalsikin ?

hindi siya pinatalsik, he left.

indeed a sad day for music.

Offline daleee

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2010, 11:37:52 PM »
I'm kinda excited though on finding out who's gonna replace MP. I'm sure there's gonna be a lot of pressure on him.

Online haha

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2010, 12:23:12 AM »
[gooey brown stuff].. Nakakaluha naman yun.. :-( After almost 25 years.. Sana maayos naman nila to.. Malaking pilay sa grupo nila to.. makakahanap sila ng kapalit nya.. Pati bagong tunog mahahanap din nila.. pero hindi sila dream theater dahil wala na si MP..
"My Master, Thank you for putting music in my life."

Offline kssael

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2010, 01:12:07 AM »
And we haven't seen DT perform live here, unlike in the neighboring countries. It was a shock to hear the bad news, and rumors were circulating that he'll be joining with A7X in the future (but that's still not true).
-kssael