hulika

Author Topic: Drum Dial Tension Information List  (Read 4490 times)

Online Akira JUMBO

• good vibrations
Drum Dial Tension Information List
« on: October 16, 2009, 07:08:11 AM »
For Drum Dial/Tama Rhythm Watch owners or those who have tuned with it, please share your tension information's using the template below:

Drum type:
Batter Tension:
Resonant Tension:
Head type:
Comment:

---

Type: (indicate type, brand, material and size of drum)
Batter Tension: (indicate tension)
Resonant Tension: (indicate tension)
Head type: (indicate drum head brand and model)
Comment: (indicate opinion of sonic quality, head response, etc.)

DRUM.ROOM drum items for sale click here

Offline paeng16

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Drum Dial Tension Information List
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 08:55:43 AM »
Pearl Joey Jordison Snare

Batter : REMO AMBASSADOR / 90
Reso   : REMO RESO (Stock heads) / 87

Snare : not too tight

This mother will crack your fvck'n brains out!!   :evil:
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 09:00:30 AM by paeng16 »
For Sale:
Zildjian Avedis MedThin 16" Crash = 5K
Zildjian ZHT 10" Splash = 2K BNew Gibraltar single pedal and Straight stand = 2K each  PM Me ty..

Offline JDennis

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 10:52:48 AM »
Hi. Owning a Drum Dial for me is a privilege but it is no way the "ends-it-all" device when you talk about tuning. It helps me find the particular tension and tone I want fast and accurately but the tuning does not end there. I still do my fine tuning by ear. It would really depend on you on what particular tone you want it tuned to, hence, the "ear" fine tuning. You would be surprised to discover once you have all lugs keyed-in to a specific and uniform tension but hear them all out of sync. What I do is I find the highest or lowest tone as reference and tweak the rest of the lugs with it.

@paeng16: I am not familiar with Joey Jordison Snare but with my Gretsch Cat Maple Snare, I have a 90 on my batter and an 85 on my reso and it is well too tight already. I was actually worried I might over tighten causing it to implode or at the very least warp my hoop. I have Ambassador Emperor X on the batter and an Ambassador Hazy on the reso side. I think 90/85 is tight and going higher is not advisable. Even the chart Drum Dial provides does not go beyond 90.

Having said that, here are my digits:

Gretsch Catalina Maple (6 piece)

Snare (6" x 14")
Batter: Ambassador Emperor X / 90
Reso: Ambassador Hazy / 85

Toms (10", 12", 14", 16")
Batter: Ambassador Pinstripe / 85
Reso: Ambassador Clear / 80

Kick (22")
Batter: Evans EMAD / 75
Reso: Stock Gretsch / not measured since I fine tuned it while being beaten for desired tone (Low Thud)

Again, I did not follow the Drum Dial chart. I followed my desired tone/sound. It is pretty much subjective when it comes to tuning and your sound preference would matter most.

Hope this helps.

Offline phfreq

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 10:59:58 AM »
Drum type: Mapex 12x9, 13x10, 16x16 toms
Batter Tension: 75
Resonant Tension: 72
Head type: Ambassador on both
Comment: I start at those settings. Tweak a little depende sa outcome ng tunog. Sa ganyang settings, hindi muffled, maganda ang tone. Though gusto ko magtry ng aquarian classic clears next time.

Drum type: Mapex 22x16 Bass
Batter Tension: 75
Resonant Tension: 67
Head type: ported Ebony Powerstroke 3 reso, clear powerstroke 3 batter
Comment: Just the right amount of tone, punch and boom. Not too boomy, not too punchy. Changing pedal beaters slightly alters the punch and warmth (rubber, plastic, felt)

Drum type: Mapex 14x5.5 snare
Batter Tension: 85
Resonant Tension: 83
Head type: Coated Ambassador on batter, clear ambassador on reso
Comment: I start from those settings tapos adjust depende sa naririnig. Maganda ang tone. May body, fat ang tunog and hindi puro crack lang. Though gusto ko magtry ng aquarian textured coated/classic clear snare reso next time.

Drum type: Pearl Q Popper
Batter Tension: 87
Resonant Tension: 71
Head type: Stock heads. Walang nakalagay na brand dun sa stock heads. Specialty heads ata para dun sa snare na yon to get the sound it's designed for.
Comment: Steel sounding pop with nice snare sound -- not overpowering kasi 12 strands lang. Tapos kapag snares off, timbale ang tunog.

Offline Razorback16

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 12:41:59 PM »
@paeng16: I am not familiar with Joey Jordison Snare but with my Gretsch Cat Maple Snare, I have a 90 on my batter and an 85 on my reso and it is well too tight already. I was actually worried I might over tighten causing it to implode or at the very least warp my hoop. I have Ambassador Emperor X on the batter and an Ambassador Hazy on the reso side. I think 90/85 is tight and going higher is not advisable. Even the chart Drum Dial provides does not go beyond 90.

The JJ snare is set to be tight bro... and we have the same settings in the toms and kick side by the way...