hulika

Author Topic: UST jazz band  (Read 3456 times)

Offline rogu_rats

UST jazz band
« on: December 24, 2009, 10:21:57 AM »
i am a rock lead-guitarist and had played in several unmentionable bands in the past couple of decades. i came across the nbn-4 concert at the park tv program and saw the ust jazz band playing. although i listen mostly to rock music, i also listen to other branches of music as long as it pleases my ears(that's what music is all about, isn't it?). these young fellas play very nice tunes old and new and christmas carols too. i became a fan right then and there. anybody else around here who share the same with me? i was also wondering if anybody can tell me if the group arrangement is what you call a big-band sound?
Nothing is easy;

But doing nothing IS!

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
Re: UST jazz band
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 07:35:12 PM »
usually it is called a "big band" if it has an extended instrumental section. usually lots of brass instruments. more alto and tenor saxes, trumpets, trombones. a big band sound will usually "blow" you away he he. now add a wind and string section and that is really a bigger band or actually an orchestra.

to me the epitome of a slick big band sound was the GRP All Star Big Band. then again it was just a group of musicians from the GRP stable back in the mid 1990's. for a real big band sound, you gotta go back way into the early 1930's to the 1950's.

"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you, No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun" DSOTM

Offline Pianista

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 08:03:08 PM »
i know some people in the ust jazz band.

i think there ensemble along with the brass section is conducted and headed by Mr. Tots Tolentino(saxophone). i think too most of their songs played was arranged by him too.
a very down to earth musician. one of the best saxophone players out there.

almost all of their group is composed of students from the ust.

Offline ztr

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 02:09:10 PM »
yes definitely Sir Tots is one of the best!

Offline edmund

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 11:37:15 PM »
malufet na ust jazz band kase si tots na humahawak di kagaya ng dati tsk tsk  :roll:

Offline rogu_rats

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 08:32:19 PM »
salamat sa mga nag-reply sa topic ko. mabuhay kayong lahat mga pinoy rockers and jazzers!
Nothing is easy;

But doing nothing IS!

Offline rogu_rats

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 08:37:20 PM »
at saka mabuhay din lahat ng ibang genre na mga musikers! as long as it pleases all or some or a pair of ears! hehehe.

kasi kahit rap o hip-hop o dance music para sa akin music basta masarap sa pandinig ko although i believe many of you will smirk at the idea!
Nothing is easy;

But doing nothing IS!

Offline rogu_rats

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 08:41:09 PM »
pero na-bilib talaga 'ko sa tunog ng ust jazz band nung napanuod ko because i also listen to the likes of glenn miller and other bands of the same sound and i can't help but compare them favorably. nice!
Nothing is easy;

But doing nothing IS!

Offline bea_rox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 05:51:13 PM »
yay. :)
Med student. Bassist. Jazz fan.

View my youtube videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/beabass