hulika

Author Topic: Setting up your PC for Recording  (Read 298079 times)

Offline kurt_morello

Re: Setting up your PC for Recording
« Reply #1000 on: August 08, 2012, 10:02:41 AM »
thanks sir Kit! so that means I'll buy an external hard drive, right? thanks!
Geetah Freak's  Blog - http://geetahfreak.wordpress.com/

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #1001 on: August 08, 2012, 10:49:15 AM »
thanks sir Kit! so that means I'll buy an external hard drive, right? thanks!

If you mean a usb hard drive, that's not as good as having an internal drive. For one thing, drive throughput is very dependent on bus speeds and usb drives are notorious for low throughput, even usb 2.0 drives. Btw, commercially available usb drive usually have 5400 rpm drives inside.

If your laptop has a firewire port, getting a firewire external drive is the better option, but how many laptops now have firewire? You can get an expresscard firewire adapter and firewire drive, but the cost may be a little prohibitive - you may have to shop around for good deals on those. One good thing about external drives is that you can port those over to desktop systems provided those desktops have the same FW ports.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #1002 on: August 09, 2012, 01:43:28 PM »
Rain Computers produces a mini pc specifically tailored for audio:

http://www.techpowerup.com/170135/Rain-Introduces-New-Event-A2-Mini-Audio-Computer-For-Songwriters.html

(Interface not included)

Hmmm... I could probably design the same provided we can get the parts. Interested parties feel free to contact me.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline el.sol

« Reply #1003 on: August 22, 2012, 07:29:09 PM »
@kitC: ser I got a new PC. ok na yung prob ko. yung old PC ko tlaga yung prob
before: DDR2 4gb RAM 2core AMD
now: DDR asrock usb3 8gbRAM intel i5

no more lagging/clipping/collapsing of PC when recording with lots of effects in all 14tracks simultaenously.

thanks sa tips :-D
successful transactions with:
teleclem, gandydancer, rockhouse, Prank_sinatra, freak. Mr Pentatonic. pinkybrief, brown, gnokee, RockaRolla, ranjin, Swastika/Cheston Uy, bhajo, pao2pao16, pee, NovidJaff. hoihose,rockhouse, jamesplaysguitar, andrew_O_O,etc

Offline nolit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1004 on: August 22, 2012, 07:53:22 PM »
Thanks for the link Sir KitC.

I am currently upgrading my setup and considering getting that A8 Llano from AMD with APU technology. Is this the closest we could get to that Rain Computer for audio? I think its the only one available locally.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #1005 on: August 22, 2012, 09:42:15 PM »
nolit, while I have previously been a very enthusiastic user of AMD, up to the Athlon64, I find that Intel still rules when it comes to DAWs. I'm still waiting for AMD to take the lead again after their Bulldozer fiasco. That said, I'm a little wary with these mini ATX boards since expansion can be a bit of a problem. For one thing, 2 ram slots is all you get and you'll be lucky to have more than one expansion slot; not a problem if you're using USB, but if you need a firewire expansion, well...

Anyway, I know Zotac boards are recommended for mini ATX. Here's a link for sources of mini ATX, both Intel and AMD:

http://www.mini-box.com/Socket-1155

I'd stay away from Atom solutions... not enough horsepower in those for DAW use. The site unfortunately does not have Llano solutions. Here's one:

http://pcper.com/reviews/Processors/AMD-Llano-APU-System-Build-Mini-ITX-HTPC-and-Gaming

The Asus mobo looks good; you got USB3, HDMI and displayport so you're somewhat future-proofed if you prefer this mobo. I've seen some Shuttle type cases which look good. Finding a low profile HSF might be a bit of a problem. Either that or go water cooling for a quiet system. Personally, though, for AMD I'd wait for the Trinity and FM2 mobos.

Offline skin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1006 on: August 22, 2012, 10:55:09 PM »
Thanks for the link Sir KitC.

I am currently upgrading my setup and considering getting that A8 Llano from AMD with APU technology. Is this the closest we could get to that Rain Computer for audio? I think its the only one available locally.

Go for Intel!

Offline blackmetal

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #1007 on: August 24, 2012, 09:49:40 PM »
Anyone here knows where I can buy a Behringer UCG 102 guitar interface?  Thanks Sirs....

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #1008 on: August 25, 2012, 10:45:52 AM »
Anyone here knows where I can buy a Behringer UCG 102 guitar interface?  Thanks Sirs....

They sometimes post these things in the guitar classifieds or pro audio classifieds. You should find them in Jointventure's outlets in most malls. There's one in Megamall 5th flr, Bldg A.

Offline blackmetal

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #1009 on: August 25, 2012, 10:54:17 AM »
They sometimes post these things in the guitar classifieds or pro audio classifieds. You should find them in Jointventure's outlets in most malls. There's one in Megamall 5th flr, Bldg A.

Thanks Sir Kit.....

Offline jake z

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #1010 on: August 27, 2012, 01:30:52 PM »
Hi fellow netizen, just a quick question. Is it possible to connect a soundcraft spirit F1 to a ux1?
Havin a hard time getting the sound, I can connect it from the aux ports but for the entire mix I can't get sounds from it.

Thanks for your replies!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #1011 on: August 27, 2012, 11:07:49 PM »
Hi fellow netizen, just a quick question. Is it possible to connect a soundcraft spirit F1 to a ux1?
Havin a hard time getting the sound, I can connect it from the aux ports but for the entire mix I can't get sounds from it.

Thanks for your replies!

When using the aux, you have to make sure that all channels are sending to the aux output so that you may hear a representation of the mix, however, you have to make sure that the aux sends are post fader and that all aux send levels are the same.

An easier way would be to use the 1/4" monitor outs if you have your monitors connected to the XLR outputs. Assuming the 1/4" monitor outs are being used, you can use the monitor inserts with 1/4" TR PL jacks inserted up to the first click, or use the phones output with 1/4" TRS to 1/4" TR left/right Y-cable.

Offline washburnt25

« Reply #1012 on: September 17, 2012, 10:52:00 PM »
thanks mga pards ang dami kong natutunan dito  :-D

Offline gutz_3110

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #1013 on: September 22, 2012, 12:15:34 AM »
hi,

i'm currently using the onboard soundcard of my PC. can i still use a DAW by using the it?  also, can i use a MIDI via usb port w/o a dedicated soundcard?  thanks.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #1014 on: September 24, 2012, 10:35:19 AM »
i'm currently using the onboard soundcard of my PC. can i still use a DAW by using the it?  also, can i use a MIDI via usb port w/o a dedicated soundcard?  thanks.

In both cases, yes. The reason we prefer to use better soundcards is for better latency performance and better audio. Onboard sound, as you will find out, can be noisy relatively, and usually have high latency. Plus, if you use guitars and similar, you cannot plug directly into the onboard without a proper preamp. Some will say use the mic input... all I can say is do it at your own risk.

Offline gutz_3110

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #1015 on: September 24, 2012, 10:28:08 PM »
In both cases, yes. The reason we prefer to use better soundcards is for better latency performance and better audio. Onboard sound, as you will find out, can be noisy relatively, and usually have high latency. Plus, if you use guitars and similar, you cannot plug directly into the onboard without a proper preamp. Some will say use the mic input... all I can say is do it at your own risk.

thanks KitC,

do you suggest that i get an independent soundcard for this? what's your recommendation?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #1016 on: September 25, 2012, 10:25:39 AM »
First off, when learning, it's ok to use onboard sound. You can even make demos with them, but you have to learn the idiosyncracies of doing so. Like I mentioned earlier, latency will be a problem. Some avoid that by using asio4all which works in most cases. Another problem is audio quality. Aside from a higher noise floor, the sample rate may be fixed at 48 khz in some cases, and 24-bit operation is rare. again, not a biggie when making demos, but I usually avoid sample rate conversion as much as possible to avoid conversion artifacts.

Oh yeah, since onboard sound is usually line in, you will need some sort of preamp if you don't use line level sources such as mixers and keyboards. For guitars, getting a good preamp is paramount, but then again, a lot of guitar interfaces come in usb so that may be your first soundcard in itself.

Ask yourself how many inputs you require. Are you recording voice? Guitars? A full band setup? This will dictate what kind of audio interface you require. Also, remember to put your software first in your considerations. Often, it is the software that decides what computer and soundcard you will need.

Offline gutz_3110

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #1017 on: September 25, 2012, 10:06:06 PM »
hi kitC,

i'm totally new at this.  don't really know where to begin. anyway, i'd like to do the ff:

1. create a some sort of backing track (drums, bassline, rhythm guitars, keys, etc.) - is there a software for this? i have sonar, but not sure if i even picked the right software for this purpose.
2. record my guitar parts using Avid Recording Studio - not also sure if i picked the right interface. i'm trying to choose a cheap interface to practice with.  if there is better alternative, please do recommend me one.
3. record vox after i finalize all the the backing track.

basically, that's it.  and i want to do away with the latency problem.  sorry, even if i review the entire thread, i cant seem to find the answer i'm looking for.  i'd like to hear what oyu and the other guys have to say.  thanks again.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #1018 on: September 27, 2012, 03:10:16 PM »
1. create a some sort of backing track (drums, bassline, rhythm guitars, keys, etc.) - is there a software for this? i have sonar, but not sure if i even picked the right software for this purpose.

Sonar is quite excellent for most purposes, but you have to learn it. You can try to record real drums, then bass, then guitar parts individually, but you have to have a multi input interface, esp. if you're tracking a complete band setup. You can do midi, but if you know nothing about that, then you have a rather steep learning curve ahead of you. BTW, midi is probably the quickest way to make your own backing tracks, but then you have to know how to sequence drums, bass, etc. There's no quick way about this.

2. record my guitar parts using Avid Recording Studio - not also sure if i picked the right interface. i'm trying to choose a cheap interface to practice with.  if there is better alternative, please do recommend me one.

There are lots of better alternatives, but they can be pricey. When learning, it's best to stick with what you have for now. The beauty of Avid is that it should come with the 'industry standard' Protools.

3. record vox after i finalize all the the backing track.

Your Avid system can handle that. Do you have a mic? An SM-58 will do.

Offline gutz_3110

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #1019 on: September 28, 2012, 11:39:07 PM »
Sonar is quite excellent for most purposes, but you have to learn it. You can try to record real drums, then bass, then guitar parts individually, but you have to have a multi input interface, esp. if you're tracking a complete band setup. You can do midi, but if you know nothing about that, then you have a rather steep learning curve ahead of you. BTW, midi is probably the quickest way to make your own backing tracks, but then you have to know how to sequence drums, bass, etc. There's no quick way about this.

- do i need a separate software for the intsruments (drums, bass, etc?) or does sonar have it already? i still dont have a clue what sonar is all about. i'll do more reserch about it can offer.

There are lots of better alternatives, but they can be pricey. When learning, it's best to stick with what you have for now. The beauty of Avid is that it should come with the 'industry standard' Protools.

- i have none. avid is my choice because its cheap. i guess, i'll get this one for now. can i install protools along with the sonar?

Your Avid system can handle that. Do you have a mic? An SM-58 will do.
- none. but i'll check SM 58 as you suggested.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #1020 on: September 29, 2012, 11:00:56 AM »
Sonar comes with a wide variety of softsynths that allow you to quickly create 'backing tracks'. Since Sonar 7 I think, it comes with Session Drummer which is similar to the Superior Drummer/DFH drum sample playback plugins, and Dimension which has bass samples. These are midi softsynths so some midi programming is required. Session Drummer includes some patterns for a little instant gratification, but a more realistic performance is obtained by some judicious programming. Like I said earlier, a bit of a learning curve and no quick way, but Sonar can be a very powerful to compose with. Sonar also comes with other synths like the TTS-1 which gives you Roland Sound Canvas sounds, as well as Rapture and zeta+ where you can get the synthy variety of sounds. In most cases with these softsynths, you will need a keyboard controller to program notes, but you can get away with mouse input. Unfortunately, mouse input is note-for-note, a bit tedious but workable if you don't have a keyboard controller. I personally use a pen-and-tablet which makes note input loads faster.

Yes, you can use Sonar with the Avid interface - it's just an M-audio Fast Track USB in Avid clothing. Make sure to install the asio drivers.

The SM58 I mentioned is a dynamic mic from Shure. You can use more inexpensive ones from Samson and Behringer. Just make sure to get mics that use XLR 'cannon' connectors for compatibility with the Avid. Don't get those cheap karaoke mics with 1/4" jacks.

Offline gutz_3110

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #1021 on: September 29, 2012, 01:44:21 PM »
hi kitC,

i understand about the learning curve. i guess i really have to immerse myself on this entirely new (complicated) work.  i'll check the session drummer as well.  thanks so much for your response.  it helped me a lot!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #1022 on: October 02, 2012, 12:27:53 PM »
Sometimes the easiest way to learn, if I may borrow from Nike, is to 'just do it'.

The important thing to remember about most sequencers is to record to a tempo as much as possible. For example, you have a guitar riff in mind; record it into sonar and use the tap tempo feature to get the tempo. Play as steadily as possible - one of the most important characteristics of mature playing is solid, consistent timing. It's also easier to add other midi instruments if everything falls to a consistent bar:beat.

Offline crazyvoice

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1023 on: October 07, 2012, 05:11:42 PM »
Hi! Hope someone will give me an advice on this..

Last night, during my idle time, naisip ko biglang i plug yung Acoustic Guitar ko sa Mic Socket ng On Board Sound Card ng PC ko, then set up it
(Using cable adapter so that it will fits sa 1/4 socket( not sure!) ng Sound Card) .

Natuwa ako ng natuklasan ko na pede palang marinig yung tunog ng guitar sa speaker ( Acting like an AMP yung PC>Speaker set up).

Bigla ako napaisip kung meron guitar effects software na pede magamit sa Win.7 OS then ended up with amplitube 3.

So now here's my problem, when normally plug in then just listen without amplitube, clear naman yung tunog ng guitar thru speaker kaso medyo mahina lang kaso yung output, but when amplitube is running and apply some sort of pre load set up, dun na medyo annoying yung sound na lumalabas sa speaker. Also when I try to set-up amplitube 3 and choose ASIO device sa setting, meron lang recognize na Input Device but sa Output is wala madetect.

Just hoping that with this guitar effect software I can try out to mix some effect and come up with something peculiar tone. Saw this on youtubr http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0scRMinPboY he's using also an acoustic with pre-amp (i think) and make it sound like a E. guitar loaded with metal effects.

Also some are claiming that they recorded some of their piece just using On Board Sound Card and amplitube, with tolerable latency. Just want to try out first the max capability of my RIG first before considering purchasing USB interface or a decent Sound Card.

So eto na mga nagawa ko:

Got a copy of Amplitube 3
Downloaded Asio4all
On Board Sound Card plug
MDA Accounting & Management Consultancy
(02) 357-22-16
For your Accounting & Taxation needs.

Offline skin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1024 on: October 08, 2012, 08:53:30 AM »
Mic socket or line-in socket?