hulika

Author Topic: "When there is no quiet, there can be no loud."  (Read 2553 times)

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
"When there is no quiet, there can be no loud."
« on: July 11, 2007, 11:18:38 AM »
I know the thing about compression must already be a moot debate, but I just thought this video nicely explains things.

or http://funl.blogspot.com/2007/06/loudness-war.html
400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: "When there is no quiet, there can be no loud."
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 11:35:51 AM »
yeah makes perfect sense. i think kitc posted the same video in the mastering shootout thread earlier.  but nice to have seen this again. 
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 02:45:36 PM »
If it is too loud, you're too old. (Kind of true for most listeners too.  Most of the volume junkies I know tend to be young...)

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 04:33:08 PM »
that's not a good sign.  maybe younger people walk around with their ipod's at full volume too often.
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 01:15:22 AM »
I'm suddenly reminded of those rolling boomboxes they want to call cars. How much I want to tell those kids that their subs are somewhat cheating on frequencies.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 01:35:18 AM »
I'm suddenly reminded of those rolling boomboxes they want to call cars. How much I want to tell those kids that their subs are somewhat cheating on frequencies.

For the record, subs with proper signal paths (crossovers, caps and line drivers) can yield nice sounds even with those uber-loud 12" subs.  But for the price of those stuff, I'd rather get new instruments for my studio...  :-D

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 01:49:16 AM »

haha!  sorry kit, i used to have a 15" sub in my trunk.  took up so much space with its 3 cubic feet box so i took it out eventually.  my ears loved me for it.  plus i suddenly had enough space for the groceries.

good thing i got into film music.  learned to listen to dynamics.  that it shouldn't be loud all the time.  otherwise, the director would just have me redo the whole thing.  sometimes, silence is the key to the perfect score.

:-) :-) :-)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 01:59:37 AM by x_taxi »
:razz::razz::razz:

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 05:59:08 AM »
maybe it's just me, but subs make me sick ...literally.  the same things happen when i track guitars at ungodly levels.  it feels as though my lungs would colapse any time.

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 06:01:18 AM »

haha!  sorry kit, i used to have a 15" sub in my trunk.  took up so much space with its 3 cubic feet box so i took it out eventually.  my ears loved me for it.  plus i suddenly had enough space for the groceries.

good thing i got into film music.  learned to listen to dynamics.  that it shouldn't be loud all the time.  otherwise, the director would just have me redo the whole thing.  sometimes, silence is the key to the perfect score.

:-) :-) :-)

yeah. true. silence is as much a musical component as everything else. 

Offline micr0chimp

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 08:48:00 AM »
That is a beautiful quote.  :-)

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 11:15:24 AM »
That is a beautiful quote.  :-)

hehe, from the doctor herself ;)