hulika

Author Topic: Benson and Santana jam  (Read 2677 times)

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
Benson and Santana jam
« on: July 05, 2006, 02:55:52 AM »
Wow! What a treat!

search=george%20benson

I never thought I'd see this clip again ..

I remember seeing this decades ago on late night TV. At the time, Benson made an indelible stamp on me as having 'smoked' Carlos with his lightning-fast jazz runs.

Now older and wiser, I realize ANY sort of comparison is unwarranted. It's only now that I appreciate the bare-naked essence of Santana's guitaristic voice. Nice tone too ..

Two guitar monsters, two defining styles ..
"No static at all ..."

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
Benson and Santana jam
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 02:56:24 PM »
marking it for later :wink:
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline Red_Strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
Benson and Santana jam
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 09:43:13 PM »
Some of Santana's parts didn't sound too natural with the groove of the song..Idol ko pa rin siya nevertheless.  :lol:
Pero I never knew George Benson was that good..Impressive!!!

Are there other songs that sound like this? Not very mellow..just really light..with that funk in it. :D

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
Benson and Santana jam
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 02:15:36 PM »
Definitely, bro!

Benson shines more in his live concerts, but that's not to say that he doesn't sizzle in his recordings.

There's a lot of other good Benson stuff at youtube.com, one of the more recent being a spot with no less than jazz piano giant McCoy Tyner. I could say he burns a lot there..

There's also maybe two or three versions of Breezin' there. It's amazing how Benson always makes that song sound so fresh everytime, and how he comes up with the most amazing licks over such a very basic I-VI-II-V vamp ..
"No static at all ..."

Offline Red_Strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
Benson and Santana jam
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 02:39:05 PM »
Is this what you were saying?
search=george%20benson

:shock: The last parts were amazing!
It's good he does something new to the song every time he plays it...breezin' fresh. :lol:

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
Benson and Santana jam
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 03:55:29 PM »
Yup, bro ...

But that's just one of many 'Breezin' vids on youtube. But he plays great on all of 'em..

I remember seeing some older versions, particularly before his nosejob ... hehehe ...
"No static at all ..."