hulika

Author Topic: SD-1 Problem  (Read 1220 times)

Offline elfenliedagain

SD-1 Problem
« on: March 29, 2015, 09:18:02 PM »
OK, so I recently bought an MIJ SD-1 here which I was really excited about. The pedal was a little beat up when the seller gave me the pictures so I asked a couple of guitar friends if they think that the risk was worth cos the device looked really worn-out. They said that the risk was well worth it plus it was a BOSS pedal so matibay naman daw. Seller told me he never tried the pedal so I made sure I tried it before buying and turned out everything was fine. While testing, I noticed that the knobs weren't responsive but figured I won't be using that area of the knobs anyway.

Anyway, bought it and was excited to try it out the next day at rehearsals. Pagsalpak ko ng same set-up as I tested it, biglang hindi gumana yung switch. Naka-on lang sya and couldn't be turned off. Used it anyway and got the switch replaced by a competent repair guy who services vintage effects. Pagbalik sakin is when I got really concerned: the switch was working and I could turn the thing on and off BUT ngayon, the Level knob wasn't working, sinisinok na sya kapag ine-engage and I couldn't control the gain at all. I can't get it to sound louder than the amp.

I don't want to spend any more on the pedal and I'm really concerned na baka sira na talaga sya that I have to get a bazillion things replaced.

Do any of you guys know have any idea what the problem is with the pedal? I'm really disappointed that my first pedal is all messed up and stuff   :-( I can't get it to the repair guy cos he's pretty far from where I live and I'm pretty busy. Also don't want to spend any more on the pedal or maybe I'm just scared to know the truth.

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: SD-1 Problem
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 10:50:23 PM »
you can try contact cleaner...actually the switch could be also cured by the almighty contact cleaner..I had a boss EQ-GE7 MIJ too...late 80's, it choked a lot and I think I even spilled some liquid years ago--sprayed wd 40 during the 90's all over..thought it was junk..and even got a new GE7...sprayed some contact cleaner recently then all of a sudden its working again..
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline elfenliedagain

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 10:59:49 PM »
you can try contact cleaner...actually the switch could be also cured by the almighty contact cleaner..I had a boss EQ-GE7 MIJ too...late 80's, it choked a lot and I think I even spilled some liquid years ago--sprayed wd 40 during the 90's all over..thought it was junk..and even got a new GE7...sprayed some contact cleaner recently then all of a sudden its working again..

The switch is working fine now. It's just that may several issues na sya like hearing the volume rise up and the controls not working

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 11:36:03 PM »
The switch is working fine now. It's just that may several issues na sya like hearing the volume rise up and the controls not working

try some contact cleaner if you can borrow some from a friend..if it doesnt work..it may be some issues with the circuitry I guess..

kaya yan! hehehe wish you luck man!
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline elfenliedagain

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 01:03:47 AM »
try some contact cleaner if you can borrow some from a friend..if it doesnt work..it may be some issues with the circuitry I guess..

kaya yan! hehehe wish you luck man!

:oops:

Offline lolwat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 01:10:30 AM »
It might be a problem with the circuit itself. Depending on the kind of capacitors there are in the pedal and how old it is, you might need to have them changed out for newer ones a la filter caps sa tube amplifiers. That, or baka may loose solder joints/damaged transistors/op amps/diodes etc. sa loob na kailangang masuri.

Offline elfenliedagain

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 01:22:59 AM »
It might be a problem with the circuit itself. Depending on the kind of capacitors there are in the pedal and how old it is, you might need to have them changed out for newer ones a la filter caps sa tube amplifiers. That, or baka may loose solder joints/damaged transistors/op amps/diodes etc. sa loob na kailangang masuri.

I'm not familiar with electronics and I'm sensing that this procedure is totally normal. Am I correct? Pati saan pala nakakabili ng parts? Do hardware/music stores have them or may specialty shops for these items?

Offline lolwat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 01:52:13 AM »
The parts themselves are of course soldered. What probably needs to be done is to take it to a technician who could trace the signal from the input of the circuit and see which part of the circuit the signal stops, if that were in fact the problem. Replacement parts depending on what your pedal uses/needs replaced can be bought from places like Cubao's Deeco, Megamall's Alexan, Ohms branches or similar.