hulika

Author Topic: DIY Cab Build # 5 (1x12 Mesa Recto style)  (Read 18909 times)

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
DIY Cab Build # 5 (1x12 Mesa Recto style)
« on: January 27, 2016, 01:56:58 PM »
An new amp head is on the way so I decided to build myself a new 1x12 cab. I've got some spare time as well so hopefully I can finish the build just in time for its arrival.

I'm basing this cab build on a Mesa Mini Recto Straight 1x12 cab with the following dimensions - 19 3/4" x 18" x 11.5" (L x W x D).

I decided to make the cab slightly deeper at 11.5" (opposed to the original at 11") to make room for any human error while cutting. However, it seems that all went good so I'll go with the very slightly deeper measurement.

3/4" marine grade plywood was used. I started out by taking my measurements and cutting a whole length across the plywood. It was crucial to cut it squarely with respect to the surface as it would definitely decrease the margin of error later on when I piece them up.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 11:16:19 PM by r_chino18 »

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
Re: DIY Cab Build # 5 (1x12)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 02:02:50 PM »
The plank was labeled and measured. This will be my top, bottom, and side panels for the cab. For this build, I'm not going for the usual butt joint. I have acquired a dovetail jig, however, I was hesitant to use it on plywood as the wood might burst and I might encounter a lot of tears.

I'll go with a more tedious manual dovetail joint, but relatively simpler although equally effective. The dovetail will be limited to two big dovetails just for structural reasons. This will defeat using screws and nails for the actual edges. This way, I can round off the edges better when at the latter stage of the build.

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 02:07:45 PM »
After measuring the panels and drawing lines for my dovetail cuts, it was on to the actual cutting.

Special thanks to a good friend and fellow forumer, rayvelasco, for sharpening my edges! My chisel can now cut through the "sandwich" of the ply easier and cleaner.. just like a hot knife thru butter.  :-)

Here's the finished rough cut on one edge... and I'll be doing those on 7 more corners..  :-o

The counterpart of the dovetails would be where they'd join...

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 02:10:08 PM »
After going through all the panels, the best part was the assembly. It's just like assembling puzzle pieces. It should not be much of a problem when the measurements and cuts are accurate. The outcome is a tight fitting joint. Minor gaps will be filled and the joints will be glued as well. Pretty happy with how it turned out. :)

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 02:14:29 PM »
Once the 4 panels are assembled and due to the design of the dovetails, the cab can definitely hold its shape even without glues and nails. An advantage is that I can secure it better (and squarely) when it's time for gluing and clamping and the actual structural support is increased.

After the rough box assembly, braces will be glued inside. This is for the baffle support and the back panel. Then the edges will be sanded down and leveled to remove the uneven surface before rounding off the corners... still a long way to go.. :)

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 02:57:25 PM »
Wow!

You guys are having one fun and productive time.  :)

Offline rayvelasco7

• Netizen Level
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 07:50:20 PM »
....Zolid! :-D

Offline lolwat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 10:49:32 PM »
Great stuff as always chino!  :)

Alam ko nakapagbuo ka na ng similar projects dati using the same sort of plywood. Kamusta naman yung tunog lalo pag malakas? Ang laging sinasabi sa mga DIY forums ng speaker cabinet builders, hindi maganda yung plywood na may spaces sa loob dahil baka magkaroon ng di magandang resonance, or rattling dahil may loose sa loob. TIA!

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 09:28:01 AM »
Wow!

You guys are having one fun and productive time.  :)

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

....Zolid! :-D

Plywoodz!  :lol:

Great stuff as always chino!  :)

Alam ko nakapagbuo ka na ng similar projects dati using the same sort of plywood. Kamusta naman yung tunog lalo pag malakas? Ang laging sinasabi sa mga DIY forums ng speaker cabinet builders, hindi maganda yung plywood na may spaces sa loob dahil baka magkaroon ng di magandang resonance, or rattling dahil may loose sa loob. TIA!

Thanks Jolo!

Interesting question... I actually wanted to use MDF for this build, pero I don't have the proper tools pa to cut it properly, alam ko alanganin yun gamitan ng handsaw eh.. Would love the get hold of some void-free baltic birch ply, pero ang alam kong source ay medyo malayo and it's certainly not cheap.

I got lucky with this plywood (acquired late last year), konti ang voids niya compared sa mga iba kong naencounter earlier last year and nung 2014. Yun ang medyo mababa talaga quality, ampaw kung ampaw.

Of all the cabs I built, lahat sila iba-iba ng dimensions at iba-iba rin ang speakers na ginamit ko.. Though I never had any rattling issues sa kanila. I guess yung rattling will be more of how solid the construction is.

My 1st cab build, 1x12 Egnater Rebel size cab w/ a Celestion Rocket 50 is now with juwanfidel. He uses it with his Orange Dark Terror, alam ko gamit na gamit rin for recording. :)

My 2nd build was a 2x12 Fender Bandmaster size style 212.. eto medyo oversized cab and hindi niya nagustuhan yung Jensen Mod 12-70 speakers kasi hindi ma-drive nung speakers yung laki ng dimensions. Eventually put Eminence Governors which put the oomph in the cab. A fellow forumer got it and paired it with his Randall head. Match made in heaven raw. :)

My 3rd build was a 2x12 Twin Reverb style cab para dun sa Fender Dual Showman Reverb (Twin Reverb head) ko dati, it had a pair of Jensen Mod 12-70 speakers... now with the band Earthmover.

The 4th build was a 2x12 Bluesbreaker style cab which I used for a while with my amp head until I got a bigger cab for it..

Of them all, hindi ako naka experience ng rattling.. pero I must say na malaking factor ang matching ng speaker sa dimensions ng cab. Will probably get back with updated results when I finish this cab and fire it up with an amp.

And while they have been great cabs.. ibang-iba pa rin talaga ang level ng boutique cabs..  :lol:

Offline 7string_highway

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 11:35:41 PM »
I just want to chime in and share some impt. info sa plywood. I just finished my DIY 2x12 cab in the specs of Bogner OS 212 height, Orange 212 depth and Mesa vertical 212 width loade w/ Eminence Governor for my Mesa Boogie Roadster and it sounds mean and full. Solve talaga ako sa 3/4 sa marine grade plywood but the catch is there are so many plywood claims na marine grade sila but for me Santa Rosa Plywood is the real marine grade plywood locally,

Ito yung ginagawang bangka locally na malalaki medyo pricy more than twice the price sa ibang plywood. I was looking for a birch plywood but wala akong mahanap good thing is naka score ako nang Santa Rosa Plywood its 5ply thick and non-void talaga xa and solid yung fly wala akong makitang sandwich ply in the middle sa board like sa 2nd pic nung OP though pwede mo xang lagayan nang sealant para walang air in the middle sa ply that can add some resonant at high volumes.

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 05:39:02 PM »
Do you offer this as a commercial service, sir? Ang galing!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2016, 05:50:21 PM »
I just want to chime in and share some impt. info sa plywood. I just finished my DIY 2x12 cab in the specs of Bogner OS 212 height, Orange 212 depth and Mesa vertical 212 width loade w/ Eminence Governor for my Mesa Boogie Roadster and it sounds mean and full. Solve talaga ako sa 3/4 sa marine grade plywood but the catch is there are so many plywood claims na marine grade sila but for me Santa Rosa Plywood is the real marine grade plywood locally,

Ito yung ginagawang bangka locally na malalaki medyo pricy more than twice the price sa ibang plywood. I was looking for a birch plywood but wala akong mahanap good thing is naka score ako nang Santa Rosa Plywood its 5ply thick and non-void talaga xa and solid yung fly wala akong makitang sandwich ply in the middle sa board like sa 2nd pic nung OP though pwede mo xang lagayan nang sealant para walang air in the middle sa ply that can add some resonant at high volumes.

Awesome! Interesting stuff. Saan ka nakakuha sir nung Santa Rosa Plywood?

Do you offer this as a commercial service, sir? Ang galing!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Hi sir, thank you.. :)

Di pa muna sa ngayon.. just building some personal cabs at the moment.. Maybe next time pag may free time, pwede.  :-)

Offline 7string_highway

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2016, 06:19:07 PM »
Just visit lang to one of the bigger Hardware store in your place, nahanap ko siya sa Atlantic Hardware. I dont have a close up pics when making my cab but I can share my recently finished build.

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2016, 11:25:07 AM »
Thanks for the info, 7string_highway. :)
Nice build you got there. From the dimensions and choice of speakers, I bet it sounds massive and chunky with your Dual Rec.  :mrgreen:

Update with the cab build... Baffle braces are in.. Glued and clamped and 'screwed' in place.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 11:32:36 AM by r_chino18 »

Offline jamesplaysguitar

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2016, 08:09:00 PM »
Just visit lang to one of the bigger Hardware store in your place, nahanap ko siya sa Atlantic Hardware. I dont have a close up pics when making my cab but I can share my recently finished build.

Nice cab build sir.. Was wondering where did you get your amp grill cloth locally? I'm building a DIY oversized 1x12 for my amp ( 4th build already ). Dati yung mga gawa kong cab
plastic gray mosquito nets gamit ko. I was thinking baka may ibang alternative na mas maganda.

r_chino18: Nice 1x12 build pala... as always. Ive seen your 2x12's before in your posts. Bihasang bihasa ka na sa pag DIY ng cabs hehe  :) 
References:Monsceb,mondemonle,jgaluno,omegared15,r_chino18,bhaahchico,drew asuncion,obetski,ger02,balakubak,pitongjerome,riccaliolio,kurtcobainer,benjiemusic,dreadhead,bananagrahamskyflakes,lespaul888,redjaztin,tsunamic,caraboyman,Shkc,Vanhatred and more

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2016, 08:22:42 PM »
r_chino18: Nice 1x12 build pala... as always. Ive seen your 2x12's before in your posts. Bihasang bihasa ka na sa pag DIY ng cabs hehe  :)

Thanks bro! Pang lima ko pa lang naman ito.. ikaw nakaka-apat na.. lamang lang ako ng isa.. Bihasa ka na rin siguro haha. Speaking of, I back-read my old DIY cab threads, most of them, wala na pala pictures.. Dapat pala hindi ko ginamit yung image link ng facebook.. Will try to find time to re-upload the images sa photobucket para mas mapreserve yung pictures dun sa threads, para sa reference ng ibang interesadong mag DIY.  :-)

Offline jamesplaysguitar

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2016, 09:31:19 PM »
Thanks bro! Pang lima ko pa lang naman ito.. ikaw nakaka-apat na.. lamang lang ako ng isa.. Bihasa ka na rin siguro haha. Speaking of, I back-read my old DIY cab threads, most of them, wala na pala pictures.. Dapat pala hindi ko ginamit yung image link ng facebook.. Will try to find time to re-upload the images sa photobucket para mas mapreserve yung pictures dun sa threads, para sa reference ng ibang interesadong mag DIY.  :-)

I agree hehe. Big help yun sa mga gustong mag DIY. Its the cheapest way to go for cabs and its fun and exciting naman when building. Nah puro 1X12 lang nagawa ko made up of cheap 3/4 plywoods sa mga 2nd hand wood stores. Sa mga marunong add din kayo ng links or shops about alternative grill cloths or Tolex. For years Ive been using Tarpauline (Black) and Carbon fiber sticker for Tolex and mosquito net for grill cloth. Baka may mas magandang alternative na may mabilhan locally. Big help din sa amin yun who can't afford international shipping for tolex and real grill cloths. etc.
References:Monsceb,mondemonle,jgaluno,omegared15,r_chino18,bhaahchico,drew asuncion,obetski,ger02,balakubak,pitongjerome,riccaliolio,kurtcobainer,benjiemusic,dreadhead,bananagrahamskyflakes,lespaul888,redjaztin,tsunamic,caraboyman,Shkc,Vanhatred and more

Offline 7string_highway

Re: DIY Cab Build # 5 (1x12 Mesa Recto style)
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2016, 12:46:58 AM »
For grill cloth mahirap talag maka hanap swerte na kung maka hanap ka nang medyo makapal na grill cloth, In my case ang tawag pala dun sa grill cloth like sa chester enterprises or the likes is "ALASKIN" then for the tolex marami namn diyan sa SUNGOLD or any store that specializes furniture prinala.

I will post for some close up image sa santa rosa plywood and its ply, tolex and grill in the following days para makatulong sa mga fellow DIYérs.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 12:49:48 AM by 7string_highway »

Offline jamesplaysguitar

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2016, 08:53:45 PM »
Alaskin hmm... interesting. Thanks 7string sa response. Not familiar with the stores you mentioned like Chester enterprises or Sungold. San banda yun sir?

Interested ako dun sa santa rosa plywood na sinasabi mo. ( will wait for your pics ) hehe  :)

Offline Igor

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2016, 03:21:54 AM »

Nice, Ang Ganda Sir Chino.  :drool:  Pulido pagkakagawa.

Sir Magkano po inabot sa wood, Pabulong po. tnx
Shot na!!!

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2016, 08:42:42 AM »
I agree hehe. Big help yun sa mga gustong mag DIY. Its the cheapest way to go for cabs and its fun and exciting naman when building. Nah puro 1X12 lang nagawa ko made up of cheap 3/4 plywoods sa mga 2nd hand wood stores. Sa mga marunong add din kayo ng links or shops about alternative grill cloths or Tolex. For years Ive been using Tarpauline (Black) and Carbon fiber sticker for Tolex and mosquito net for grill cloth. Baka may mas magandang alternative na may mabilhan locally. Big help din sa amin yun who can't afford international shipping for tolex and real grill cloths. etc.

Spent a whole night fixing the broken image links dun sa previous DIY threads ko. Haha.
DIY Cab build #2 (2x12 Bandmaster style)
DIY Cab Build #3 (2x12 modified Twin Reverb style)

I've used regular cotton cloth (folded in two para makapal and stretched very well habang nilalagay sa baffle), pero on my Twin Reverb cab build, I eventually ordered the correct Fender silver grill cloth outside Pinas.

Minsan sa sobrang hassle maghanap ng grill cloth at tolex, naiisip ko mag solid wood cab build na lang tapos see-thru finish. Haha. Mapapagastos lang ako sa kahoy at kailangan malinis na malinis ang gawa para maganda tingnan.

For grill cloth mahirap talag maka hanap swerte na kung maka hanap ka nang medyo makapal na grill cloth, In my case ang tawag pala dun sa grill cloth like sa chester enterprises or the likes is "ALASKIN" then for the tolex marami namn diyan sa SUNGOLD or any store that specializes furniture prinala.

I will post for some close up image sa santa rosa plywood and its ply, tolex and grill in the following days para makatulong sa mga fellow DIYérs.

Nagbasa ako nung isang gabi regarding the Sta Rosa plywood.. may history pala yan, dating Sta Clara tapos naging Sta Rosa.. made by Zamboply according sa nabasa ko.. Looks like good stuff. Sana makahanap ako nito, if not, my next cab build will be from solid pine.

Nice, Ang Ganda Sir Chino.  :drool:  Pulido pagkakagawa.

Sir Magkano po inabot sa wood, Pabulong po. tnx

Salamat, sir.. :) yung 3/4 inch (~18mm) marine plywood ay nasa mga 1,000 to 1,200php per board (4ft x 8ft). Enough to make two 1x12 cabs... I'm actually building two 1x12s at the moment. Hahaha.

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2016, 08:51:53 AM »
Measured the baffles and marked accordingly.. Will be easier to cut out the holes first before sawing the squares from the main plywood.

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2016, 08:53:15 AM »
Two cabs waiting for their back panel bracing..

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2016, 09:07:00 AM »
Amoy stereo!  :-D

Offline CARABAO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2016, 09:58:57 AM »
Mga gaano kabigat to pare?