hulika

Author Topic: Advice On Taking Drum Lessons thread  (Read 9669 times)

Offline Bammbamm

• Philmusicus Addictus
Advice On Taking Drum Lessons thread
« on: January 29, 2007, 08:43:44 PM »
I wanna post this question to the Drum Teaching Reference thread actually, kaya lang madyo OT at dudumi lang yung thread e, so open ko nlang dito.Here are my questions;

1.Is it better to learn some "basic" rudiments/groove/note reading all by myself before taking formal lesson,or I need to learn it with the guidance of an instructor right from the start? (This is a question with regards to the price of a formal lesson per session versus the possibility of developing bad habits that will be more difficult to unlearn later on)

2.Should I to tell the instructor what I want to learn or I'll just meekly follow his/her program? (Some instructors can be tricky,you know!)

3.How do I get a good instructor? (considering the fact that a great player doesn't necessarily make a good teacher, and mediocre players sometimes are very good teachers!)

Anyone of you fellow drummers who have had or is currently taking formal lessons can share your experience and personal recommendations in this thread.
 You can also post negative experience and questions if you have doubts about the lessons/instructors.
but avoid name-dropping as much as possible :-D

I hope this would shed some light to each and everyone of us here at PinoyDrums.  :-)

« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 11:09:23 AM by Bammbamm »
So Be It.

Offline Gep

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Advise about Taking Drum Lessons thread
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 08:46:14 PM »
Akala ko nakapag-lessons ka na dati kasi Afro-Cuban na inaaral mo e.  :-D

Offline Bammbamm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 08:59:48 PM »
Akala ko nakapag-lessons ka na dati kasi Afro-Cuban na inaaral mo e.  :-D

Hindi pa bro, wala naman kasi akong banda ngayon kaya may time akong pag aralan ang gusto kong tugtog.
Gusto ko pa matuto ng note reading at mga dynamics :-)
So Be It.

Offline elmo

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 09:19:01 PM »
BammBamm,

I'll give you an insight from MY point of view -as a teacher.

Re Q's

#1). Depending on your other sources of info regarding drums, you're the best person to determine your learning abilities. There's the internet, videos, dvd's etc.. so a first hand teacher for begginers isn't always the best option. With dvd's etc, you can always rewind and back track to sections you really WANT to work on. Teachers on the other hand, will see where your going wrong and will make you go voer excercises that you NEED to work on. Learning basic rudiments on your own for a while is helpful and will be a step forward regardless of bad technique. Technique can always be fine tuned a little later -your talking about a short perios of time to learn the rudiments. Technique is not near as important as the sound and how your body works to achieve it. Being smooth and having a fluid motion is important -regardless of technique.

#2 and 3). Find a teacher who has good recomendations from your peers, colleagues and other muso's. Find out what they teach, they're teaching styles, their program (if they run one), where they teach. Visit them, give him/her a call and find out what they are like. Also check who they have worked for (artists/bands/schools). If they are credible and you get a good feeling and recomendation about the, try them out.

Once your with the teacher, it's always good to let them know exactly what it is your after from him/her. I ask my students periodically (approx. every 3 months) what they are playing and/or listening to and if thats a style they want to work on. Some say, they'd like to stick to the same material... some say they want to move onto another style for a while. Either way, just make sure, you as the student, is happy and enjoys drumming and learning. Be honest with your teacher. But keep in mind, there are areas you may NEED to work on that will be extremely challenging for you, and at the time, you won't enjoy it... but hang in there. You'll reap the benefits from it.

There's a guy I met at Merc's Bar about a year ago. He teaches at UP. He's got longish hair and glasses -kinda looks like Curt Bisquera. His names slips my mind right now, but i highly recomend him. He's a great guy and amazing player. He also endorses Zildjian Cymbals. If you know him name.. pleas shoot me a PM.

hope that has cleared up a lil for u.

elmo

Offline pmack

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 09:25:49 PM »
There's a guy I met at Merc's Bar about a year ago. He teaches at UP. He's got longish hair and glasses -kinda looks like Curt Bisquera. His names slips my mind right now, but i highly recomend him. He's a great guy and amazing player. He also endorses Zildjian Cymbals. If you know him name.. pleas shoot me a PM.

elmo

i'm not 100% sure,

but if you're referring to the guy who looks like a thin version of Curt Bisquera, then i believe it's Senyor Mar Dizon, you lucky devil...
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 09:29:33 PM by pmack »

Offline daemonite

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 09:26:55 PM »
My experience doesn't necessarily involve an instructor but, i had a friend who taught me a lot about the basics of drumming. I was already a novice drummer during that time and when he taught me additional info, medyo mas nagkaroon ako ng knowledge about the craft. And my experience during the mini-eb further enchanced my knowledge. So, my advice for those aspiring drummers who doesn't have the time or money to take formal lessons, i still recommend you to take lessons IF you REALLY want to learn the craft. Mahirap kasi mag-lesson na hindi buong puso, sayang lang pera niyo. But back to what i was saying, kung wala ka time or pera, if you have nice friends who you think have better knowledge than you do about the craft, try to take some advice from them, wag kayo mahiya magtanong about the kit. Kung may hindi ka alam na alam pala nya, ask him, knowledge is sharing, kasi sa tingin ko, each drummer has its own "fingerprint" on the drums, meaning, meron talagang sariling klase ng palo yan, gaano man kalawak ang knowledge nya sa craft. Happy drumming!

(I may sound like an arrogant b*stard but, it's the truth. Hindi ako nagmamagaling, Marami pa akong dapat aralin, and I believe most of the younger drummers here have a broader skill than me, kaya mas gusto ko na lang nanonood sa eb. Hehe)

Special thanks to those people who influenced me all these years in drumming, My friend, Ace Aguilar, Bro drumster, dictatone, jpmb, peeves, gep and other drummers who i met along the way....
Drummer / Keyboardist
PrimeApes / Chuckoy Vicuņa Combo
https://soundcloud.com/daemon-keys

Offline Gep

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 09:29:17 PM »
Special thanks to those people who influenced me all these years in drumming, My friend, Ace Aguilar, Bro drumster, dictatone, jpmb, peeves, gep and other drummers who i met along the way....

Shucks, ikaw naman o (sabay palo sa balikat)  :-D

Offline elmo

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 09:30:22 PM »
YES!!!! It was Mar!!!! Man.. that guy has chops.. if he frequents these boards... Good to meet you and still amazized by your playing mate. Hope to catch you next time im in town.

alwin laysico

Offline daemonite

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 09:33:29 PM »

Shucks, ikaw naman o (sabay palo sa balikat)  :-D

:-D kaya nga hangga't maaari gusto ko maka-attend lahat ng eb ng pinoydrums. Marami ako natututunan for a short period of time....Lalo na naka-video pa wahahahahaa!
Drummer / Keyboardist

Offline bone

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 09:34:15 PM »
Hi,i'm planning to take drum lesson.
sinong instructor recommended nyo and pls give me
his/her contact no.

pls pm me nalang for the info.
thanks. :mrgreen:

intstructors within metro manila only.

hanibanch

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 11:55:04 AM »
waw. mas na-inspire ako to take drum lessons, feeling ko kailangan talaga. hehe.  :-D

Offline daemonite

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 05:28:26 PM »
if you want, you can join us on saturday, mini-eb ng pinoydrums, may kasamang konting lessons and inspirational talks, see the eb thread for location and time. page 14 ata yun. see you there!!!
Drummer / Keyboardist

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 05:32:39 PM »
my 2 centavos....

if you ever take lessons...please make sure you take time to PRACTICE the lessons during your spare time before coming to your next session. pakita mo sa instructor mo na motivated ka, that you dont take his lessons for granted

sayang yung bayad mo kung hindi mo rin gagawin yung ibinibigay na exercises/licks

Offline Bammbamm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 07:55:24 PM »
waw. mas na-inspire ako to take drum lessons, feeling ko kailangan talaga. hehe.  :-D

:-D Heeehehe! Effective tong sinimulan kong thread!

@ Elmo at sa Lahat ng Pinoydrummers- Salamat sa reply nyo. Hindi lang talaga personal ang objective ko sa thread na to. Bale naisip ko lang simulan magbukas ng topic tungkol dito para na din magkaroon ng discussion na mapupulutan ng aral ang lahat ng devoted drummers at drum teachers at para na din ma motivate yung mga baguhan na seryosohin ang pag ddrums.

Ako kasi self-taught lang.Struggle talaga ang ginawa ko para matuto pumalo ng walang drums for eight years.Tapos tumigil ako mag banda for about 9 years. Last year lang ako ulit nagkainteres mag drums (out of boredom dito sa china) kaya bumili ako ng kit. Ngayon,puro instructional video at books with CDs ang pinaka tutor ko. Yung books, di ko nagagamit kasi mas dependent ako sa tunog lang.I cant read drum notations- Yun ang gusto ko matutunan ngayon, ang magbasa ng nota.

Im going back to Philippines this February 14 for a 2-week vacation. Gusto ko sana mag take ng lesson about note reading.Im worried that I may have to be required to take a full lesson,kaso wala akong time para tapusin yun. Gusto ko malaman kung saan ako pwede mag enroll ng per session basis,at magkano ang rate per session.... Sayang kasi yung mga books ko kung di ko mababasa,and besides, masakit na din yung tenga ko sa kaka-sipra with earphones.  :|

Salamat sa inyong lahat po :lol:

So Be It.

Offline daemonite

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2007, 08:01:46 PM »
I think mang jun regalado has a per session basis. check out the pinoydrums mailing list for the info....
Drummer / Keyboardist

Offline Bammbamm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2007, 09:27:01 PM »
Thanks, Daemonite! Tawagan ko nlang pag uwi ko.
So Be It.

Offline pmack

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2007, 09:29:25 PM »
I think mang jun regalado has a per session basis. check out the pinoydrums mailing list for the info....

yep.
last time i checked, 1k per lesson kay sir jun.

Offline Bammbamm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2007, 08:20:35 PM »
Salamt sa mga info...sige, alamin ko nlang thru phone :-)
So Be It.

Offline jpmb

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2007, 11:37:35 AM »
nasa pinas ka na ba?

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2007, 11:59:26 AM »
ang suggestion ko approach a percussion major from UP college of music, kung sino man ang reputable na student... tapos don ka nalang magpaturo.  kailangan meron magtuturo ng rudiments, kasi may tamang paghawag ng stick, at posture.  when it comes to learning technique i think dapat merong mentor and guide.  you really wouldn't want to get stuck with bad habits diba?

when you got that covered, saka ka mag instructional video.  by then you will be able to pick out rudimentary patterns on the drumkit when you hear them. :)

FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline Bammbamm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2007, 08:24:00 PM »

@ JP - Sa 14th pa ko uuwi. Magpalamig ka na ng beer! :-D

@ Starfugger- thanks to your suggestion.Madaming matutulungan yan :-)

To All, keep em coming! Share nyo sana experience nyo during lessons para may idea kaming mga "no read, no write" sa music :-D
So Be It.

Offline marko21

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2007, 08:30:04 PM »
ako nung naglessons ako mga basic lang tinuro.

proper posture, holding the sticks, types ng mga palo, at mga note readings (4/4 lang)

:-D

balak ko maglessons ulit ngayong summer  :-D

Offline jbertz

• Netizen Level
ok po ba drum lessons sa yamaha?
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2007, 02:56:37 PM »
ask ko lang po sana mga sir kung ok dun, mejo mahal kasi e, 6600 daw ung 12 sessions. balak ko po sana kasi magaral e d2 sa sta rosa, laguna e yamaha na ung pinakamalapit. if may suggestions kayo na iba pls do throw in. Thanks! :-D

Offline intake

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: ok po ba drum lessons sa yamaha?
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2007, 09:24:03 AM »
depende sa teacher..
ok naman yung pinipili ng yamaha eh, mga magagaling yan

yung sakin sulit na sulit..bitin pa nga eh!  :lol:
member din yung teacher ko dito  :-)

sa Alabang Town Center ka ba mag aaral or sa SM Southmall?
Laptop = $600
DSL = $30/month
Locked threads @ AGT sub forums = PRICELESS :D

Online Akira JUMBO

• good vibrations
Re: ok po ba drum lessons sa yamaha?
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2007, 10:32:49 PM »
for beginners I guess ok sya..they will simply teach note reading (let me stress out the level "beginners")..but if your a bit experienced drummer, I would suggest you seek other better drum teachers.. :lol:
DRUM.ROOM drum items for sale click here