hulika

Author Topic: Ang lalakas pumalo ng mga PINOY!! Let's settle the Issue.......  (Read 9413 times)

Offline sandythedrummer

• Philmusicus Addictus
I got the Chance to play with the country's bass legend last Sunday. He's Mr Colby dela Calzada. He played with various artists like Kevin Lettau, Affinity and many others. Ngayon he said one thing that got my attention. Ang lalakas daw tumugtog ng mga drummer na pinoy. Kasi Drum is almost 100% acoustic instruments that depends on the room's acoustics so he's expecting the drummer should have his own "mixer". Mixer meaning he can adjust his volume. Reklamo daw kasi ng mga drummers pag humina sila eh nawawala yung feel. Actually yun ren reklamo ko if someone asks me to tone down. He also commented one time when TOTO guested in ABSCBN and heard the sessionist playing, Toto said "They're the loudest band we've ever heard".

So ito na lang, Are we too loud? And Foreign drummers are "laid back"?
I need people who somehow watched/opened for/knew a foreign drummer.

Salamat!!
"I BELIEVE IN CHRIST LIKE I BELIEVE IN THE SUN. NOT BECAUSE I CAN SEE IT, BUT BY IT, I CAN SEE EVERYONE ELSE....."

Offline Gep

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Ang lalakas pumalo ng mga PINOY!! Let's settle the Issue.......
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 01:46:59 PM »
Siguro hindi lang sanay sa mic'ed setup ang Pinoy.  :-)

Offline carl20

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 01:53:16 PM »
napanuod ko sa master Dom Famuralo malakas din sya pumalo eh nung nag clinic sya dito,..

Pero napansin ko lang kasi sa mga foreign artists napaka importante sa kanila ng mga monitors nakakainggit kasi talagang di sila tutugtug hanggat problema nila ang monitors nila, yun siguro nakikita kong kaibahan dito, medyo lo-tech pa din tayo sa monitors eh saka minsan di rin nasusunod yung request ng artist dito pag humihingi kung anung tunog gusto nila palabasin sa monitors nila,...  :|
COMBOWORKS

Offline Sherwin_xx2002

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 01:56:37 PM »
....Reklamo daw kasi ng mga drummers pag humina sila eh nawawala yung feel. Actually yun ren reklamo ko if someone asks me to tone down....

+1pare...
CARPE DIEM

Offline FINGERZAP

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 01:57:25 PM »
This is very true especially in a church setting! It somehow gets in the way of worship kasi nabibingi yung buong congregation.  :-D

I think it's a newbie mentality na rin. "The louder, the better" ika nga. Isa pa, most self-taught drummers never learn how to relax their grip and play from the wrist. Usually elbow yung gumagana with their wrist tightened up, even if the song calls for a softer feel.

Offline Gep

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 02:32:31 PM »
Sa kabutihang palad, natitimpla ko na ang wrist at elbow motion para kontrolado na palo.

Gusto ko matutunan yung finger control. Para complete package na.

Offline toybitz

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 03:30:05 PM »
if I'm playing in a large venue or open area...somehow, I subconsciously intimidated how I can make the drums reach from end to end..subconsciously because consciously..I know, there's a mic. hehehe

I still play loud when I'm:
1.  asked to
2.  playing for a loud band

other than that, i really enjoy playing at a volume level that compliments my technique and feel.
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 03:38:51 PM »
There's a fine line between playing loudly and playing with force.

One good example I can think of is Benjie Mendez.  Frankly, he has the tendency to play with loud volume.  Yet, he knows how to hit things.  He just doesn't bash on the drums and cymbals.  I've observed that he knows how to get the most out of the instruments' sounds.  He plays at the right spot, and he is very aware of his dynamics.  He plays loudly only during the right moment.  Yet, his playing remains musical.

I think the problem is when loudness becomes non-musical.  Instead of music, it gets classified as noise.

I guess it also comes with experience.  It also depends on the style of music.  We should develop the ability to gauge our volume limits.  Though I believe that we can still play softly without compromising the feel.  

I also believe that we drummers should be the ones setting the tone, in terms of dynamics.  When a drummer plays softer, his/her bandmates should interact by adjusting their dynamics with their drummer's dynamic levels.  When a drummer gradually increases or decreases his/her dynamic levels, bandmates should follow too.  I think it's a common issue that there are some musicians who want to be heard more.  Ika nga, ayaw nila masapawan at gusto nila nasa top layer sila.  And more often, that's when the volume problem begins.  We should become more sensitive with our volume levels.

Personally, I don't want to generalize Pinoy drummers as loud drummers, compared to our foreign counterparts.  I've seen a lot of foreigners who also tend to really bash their instruments.  One example is Kenny Aronoff.  I was at the Zildjian Day Manila drum clinic two years ago when he was the special guest, and so far I've never seen nor heard anyone play the drumkit as loud and as powerful as Mr. Aronoff.  I meant no offense; I'm not labeling him as a "basher".  But if you were present during that event, you'll probably understand.  :-)

This is a very good topic to discuss, bro Sandy.  :wink:
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 04:13:39 PM by drumster »

Offline carl20

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 04:11:55 PM »

One good example I can think of is Benjie Mendez.  Frankly, he has the tendency to play with loud volume.  Yet, he knows how to hit things.  He just doesn't bash on the drums and cymbals.  I've observed that he knows how to get the most out of the instruments' sounds.  He plays at the right spot, and he is very aware of his dynamics.  He plays loud only during the right moment.  Yet, his playing remains musical.

I think the problem is when loudness becomes non-musical.  Instead of music, it gets classified as noise.

I guess it also comes with experience.  It also depends on the style of music.  We should develop the ability to gauge our volume limits.  Though I believe that we can still play softly without compromising the feel. 

I also believe that we drummers should be the ones setting the tone, in terms of dynamics.  When a drummer plays softer, his/her bandmates should interact by adjusting their dynamics with their drummer's dynamic levels.  When a drummer gradually increases his dynamic levels, bandmates should follow too.  I think it's a common issue that there are some musicians who want to be heard more.  Ika nga, ayaw nila masapawan at gusto nila nasa top layer sila.  And more often, that's when the volume problem begins.  We should be more sensitive with our volume levels.

Personally, I don't want to generalize Pinoy drummers as loud drummers, compared to our foreign counterparts.  I've seen a lot of foreigners who also tend to really bash their instruments.  One example is Kenny Aronoff.  I was at the Zildjian Day Manila drum clinic two years ago when he was the special guest, and so far I've never seen nor heard anyone play the drumkit as loud and as powerful as Mr. Aronoff.  I meant no offense; I'm not labeling him as a "basher".  But if you were present during that event, you'll probably understand.  :-)

yup +1 ako about kay Kenny Aronoff I've seen him play there at MOA  :-D
COMBOWORKS

Offline Angst_Ridden

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 04:24:11 PM »
Cguro importante din tlga yng pag practice ng dynamics.

Offline popsicle

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 05:53:24 PM »

Gusto ko matutunan yung finger control. Para complete package na.

un ang hirap ako! lalo na sa left hand ko.  :x

Offline toybitz

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 06:57:40 PM »
Cguro importante din tlga yng pag practice ng dynamics.

hindi yan siguro brother...dapat lang. 8 )

:

i like this. 

I just remembered how my guitarist told me how loud i was playing (metal band with 2 guitarists) when he went to adjust something in his amp..I told.."yeah, and I'm just snapping my stick like a whip".
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline ushuaia

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 07:11:36 PM »
a lot of musicians not only drummers akala pag malakas mas masarap o intense. pag mahina walang feel etc. but for me you can play soft and have as much intensity and not loose the feel. think about brian blade,antonio sanchez :-)

Offline 4pedz

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 07:13:38 PM »
Isa pa, most self-taught drummers never learn how to relax their grip and play from the wrist. Usually elbow yung gumagana with their wrist tightened up, even if the song calls for a softer feel.

ouch naman... self taught drumemr here... pero i use wrist, kasi yun ang sabi Dave Weckl sa instructional DVD niya e. Hindi lahat bro...

@ topic, napansin ko din sa mga international underground artist yan. kaya agree ako na malakas talaga pumalo mga pinoy.
4pedz
FOR OFFERS AND BOOKINGS PLS TXT 0923 907 5876 sun/ 0927 848 8179 globe

Offline FINGERZAP

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 07:48:35 PM »

ouch naman... self taught drumemr here... pero i use wrist, kasi yun ang sabi Dave Weckl sa instructional DVD niya e. Hindi lahat bro...

Di ko naman sinabing lahat e.  :-D

Offline 4pedz

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 07:55:04 PM »
Di ko naman sinabing lahat e.  :-D

hehehe, forgiven...
pero tama pa din sinabi mo, from 8years old hanggang sa maging 14 y/o ako, arms gamit ko pang swing, hindi wrist, nadevelop lang nung nag 15y/o ako,(kasi madame naririndi sa church) chka nakilala ko ang band na Dream Theater.. hihihihihihii
tapos lage ko pinapanood yung instructional vidz ni Dad Portnoy. hehe
tapos, napanood ko si Dave Weckl nung 19 y/o na ko, aun, mas umayos ako, hehehe

tips for the beginner drummers, maghanap po kau ng instructionals, kahit sinong artist, (but i recommend jazz, para mas matindi ang control sa wrist)

as of now, my progress report is, I'm studying how to play the sticks with my fingers only.. mahirap, hai
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 07:56:10 PM by 4pedz »
4pedz

Offline FINGERZAP

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2008, 08:03:08 PM »

as of now, my progress report is, I'm studying how to play the sticks with my fingers only.. mahirap, hai

Mahirap nga. I'm trying to learn Jojo Mayer's finger technique pero, haay, give up na yata ako!

Offline 4pedz

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2008, 08:09:02 PM »
Mahirap nga. I'm trying to learn Jojo Mayer's finger technique pero, haay, give up na yata ako!

wag ganun, habang may buhay, may nilaga... ay, pag asa pala,  :-D :-D
4pedz

Offline Tugpaktugpak

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2008, 08:25:19 PM »
May mga nakita narin akong humataw ng sobrang lakas.....na halos tabon na ung ibang instrument....meron naman sobrang hina....cguro dapat talaga mag adjust talaga ung lakas ng palo dpende sa laki ng lugar.....kasi para sakin importante talaga ung pagtravel ng sound tska ung intensity nun eh tska para maappreciate din ung tunog ng ibang instruments tska balance ng tunog kaya importante talaga rin ung soundcheck pagtugtugan.....para sakin lang naman un
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. - 2 Cor 12:9

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2008, 10:12:39 AM »
Maybe the answer there is, "we live with 60's 'In-your-face' stage volume technology" so think about us as Mooney playing the drums.

Offline el Brutal

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2008, 10:33:03 AM »
finger control? sa blasting ko natutunan un... ! i love playing loud.. and i am proud!

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2008, 10:50:13 AM »
Hanep bago mong avatar Solomon ah, pang 1,350 peso bill.  :-D

Offline nikogulo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2008, 11:31:50 AM »
it feels good to play loud, but dynamics is important.

you must also look at the surroundings where you are playing. you can overplay a room. it wont sound good and it hurts...

:-D

Offline intake

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2008, 11:44:36 AM »

Personally, I don't want to generalize Pinoy drummers as loud drummers, compared to our foreign counterparts.  I've seen a lot of foreigners who also tend to really bash their instruments.  One example is Kenny Aronoff.  I was at the Zildjian Day Manila drum clinic two years ago when he was the special guest, and so far I've never seen nor heard anyone play the drumkit as loud and as powerful as Mr. Aronoff.  I meant no offense; I'm not labeling him as a "basher".  But if you were present during that event, you'll probably understand.  :-)

I was about to tell about manung Kenny, yan na pala  :lol:
dun sa clinic, i was about to label Kenny as a basher (no offense, he's still a tight drummer!) after he played his first song on the clinic..pero after a few more songs, bumagay na din.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 11:50:38 AM by intake »
Laptop = $600
DSL = $30/month
Locked threads @ AGT sub forums = PRICELESS :D

Offline el Brutal

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2008, 12:02:00 PM »
Hanep bago mong avatar Solomon ah, pang 1,350 peso bill.  :-D

ahahaha!