hulika

Author Topic: Akai APC 40 or Novation Launchpad for Ableton - Dance Music Production  (Read 3809 times)

Offline cybercafeno

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Hi any suggestions whats easier to use maily for home studio use and occassional live?

Offline lovecore

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Akai APC 40 or Novation Launchpad for Ableton - Dance Music Production
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 06:08:03 AM »
hmmmm... that's a hard question since you want both uses covered..

for more studio work and occasional live, I'd go with the APC40. I'd suggest that you get the hacks though to add functionality to it like using drum racks and user modes.

I like the APC knobs and see its use perfect for studio work since it's instantly mapped so you have your fxs on any track reflected immediately.

With Maxforlive, it opens up a whole new world for it.

As one of my friends put it, what's nice about the APC40 is that you look at the Ableton screen on your computer and you have the physical representation of it in hardware.

NOW...

I WISH I had the launchpad because of more features/modes than the APC40. without APC's knobs, the launchpad leaves the APC in the dust. The launchpad can control everything the APC controls and more! You don't even have to buy any hack!

So for your question, I'd go with the APC40 ONLY if you work exclusively with Ableton.

Launchpad has MORE functions and uses if you use it with other softwares.

Hope that helps.

Offline cybercafeno

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 11:39:37 PM »
Thanks for your inputs! All valid points.
After much deliberation, I give the launchpad the advatange for the following reasons:
1.  The launchpad feels more of an instrument rather than a controller
2.  Mobility - can be tucked in a laptop bag / bus powered / thin / portable and occupies less desktop real estate
3.  Novation's step sequencer plugin is "magical" (StepSEQ),  turns the launchpad into a super groovebox
4.  Highly customizable with other software using Novation's Automap software
5.  Graphically intuitive way to control pans, filters and volume than the more traditional sliders and knobs

Im getting one

Offline lovecore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 03:21:40 AM »
Thanks for your inputs! All valid points.
After much deliberation, I give the launchpad the advatange for the following reasons:
1.  The launchpad feels more of an instrument rather than a controller
2.  Mobility - can be tucked in a laptop bag / bus powered / thin / portable and occupies less desktop real estate
3.  Novation's step sequencer plugin is "magical" (StepSEQ),  turns the launchpad into a super groovebox
4.  Highly customizable with other software using Novation's Automap software
5.  Graphically intuitive way to control pans, filters and volume than the more traditional sliders and knobs

Im getting one

Congrats!! You won't regret it. I haven't even saved up enough to get one :(