hulika

Poll

Can OD and Distortion pedals mimic amp distortion?

YES, in a heartbeat.  Multi-channel amps are scams.  Pedals and a clean amp can do their job.
5 (26.3%)
NO.  I prefer amp switching and amp distortion/OD. Pedals are for the boys, amps are for the men.
4 (21.1%)
I don't know and/or I don't care.
10 (52.6%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: April 28, 2006, 04:33:11 AM

Author Topic: Can OD and Distortion pedals mimic amp distortion?  (Read 7786 times)

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2006, 07:53:46 AM »
Quote from: skunkyfunk
In the case of recording, would you prefer pedals + any clean sounding amp or a multichannel amp?

hmmm.. tough question.. going by what i have now.. i'd say, i'd stick to what i have.. pedals + amp (hey the peavey's a multi-channel amp!)

Offline ralphot

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2006, 09:05:55 AM »
Quote from: BALDO
...saka don't try to record distortion o overdrive sa isang malaking wattage na amp..if you want BIG sound..use a 15 watt amp sa recording..

some of the guitar tracks on teeth's time machine LP were recorded using a micro-amp. a marshall ms-2, if my memory serves me right.

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2006, 10:30:59 AM »
i don't have a preference when it comes to amp distortion or pedal distortion. my disto pedals sound different than my amp distortion and they both have their use. my amp clearly has more punch and spunk because of the tubes, but that doesn't mean that my pedals don't have their own use. di naman ako puro rakrakan lang so it's good to have other options din :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline kaloyster

• GOLD MEMBER
  • Board Moderator
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2006, 11:08:07 AM »
aco naman:

RJ strato copy -> J&H Overdrive -> MXR Micro Amp -> clean on any type of amp

pag clean: *Jekyll slightly toned down
pag OD: *Jekyll upped + Micro Amp
pag "soiled" DIST (near Tubescreamer sound): Jekyll & Hyde
pag heavy DIST: Hyde
pag solos/leads na hindi nagdodoble yung tunog (pag kumalabit ng strings): J&H + Micro Amp

the amp remains untouched (shempre before playing iko-config co na)

*mejo blues ang feel. i don't like clean na parang "Stonefree" clean
"Bulakenyo"? Then join Bulacan Music Facebook Group!

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2006, 11:38:11 AM »
I rely on my amp's distortion because I like it.....period.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2006, 11:48:51 AM »
Kaya nga...

The question deserves a "prequel" question first.

Who are you asking ?

Kumbaga statistically, even if you get your poll results, it will be meaningless if not segregated by demographic.

I mean, if the population you're asking are gigging musicians, who generally cannot choose nor lug their amp of choice, then the pedals would be the natural choice.

If you're asking the bedroom or recording musician, who have the time and luxury of being a tone connossieur, then naturally you'll get a different answer.

To say pa, a typical working musician can save up and buy every darn pedal he'd ever want. But buy every amp for any particular tone he wants to switch to ? That's kinda bordering on the...oh never mind. :D

Personally, asking me whether to go amp or pedal is like forcing me into a box. Amp lang o pedal lang ? I don't think so. The permutations for tone creation are too great to be boxed in.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline glassjaw_jc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2006, 12:00:15 PM »
can drive pedals mimic tube amp drive? of course they can! they may not sound exactly the same but drive pedals get you there at a fraction of the cost. If they can't mimic tube amp drive, i highly doubt boutique pedal manufacturers will still be in business.
Surf's Up!

Offline markflo

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2006, 12:09:28 PM »
Quote from: glassjaw_jc
can drive pedals mimic tube amp drive? of course they can! they may not sound exactly the same but drive pedals get you there at a fraction of the cost. If they can't mimic tube amp drive, i highly doubt boutique pedal manufacturers will still be in business.

eto nalang...

when you say amp distortion...it's that thing wherein you crank the amp up and the tubes get really saturated and produce distortion...that's amp distortion...

pero yung mga may channel switching na TUBE amp...diba parang amp lang siya na may TUBE overdrive pedal na built in?

o let's say...peavey solid state...tapos dalawang channel...eh diba parang may transistor distortion pedal lang siya na built in?

so it's the same thing...pedal distortion, (your definition of)) amp distortion

coz i have a feeling the amp distortion you're referring to is that damn blasted boutique amp again...

same banana....

there are tube distortion pedals,y'know...

y'know...there's another name for those drive pedals y'know...PREAMP...

now...a cranked marshall plexi however...is a different thing...PERO...kaya parin emulate ng mahusay ng mga pedals yan eh...

sooooooo....

YOU DECIDE WHICH SETUP YOU WANT...IT DOESN'T MATTER....

now...given the current situation there in the philippines wherein some musicians don't even have cars...or they have to commute, or for whatever reason...you think they can haul in 2 amps just to get 2 different tones? it's ridiculous...

kahit nga ako dito miski may auto, pa minsan multi fx atsaka tube amp lang gamit ko eh...y'know why? well for one...i'm not playing my kind of music...(instrumental) ...so i just bring what's needed for the band i'm playing in...nothing more, nothing less...
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2006, 12:16:04 PM »
ha! thats true.. :lol:

Offline kawayan_strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2006, 12:18:14 PM »
Quote from: markflo
1.  Can YOU, as a PLAYER, hear the difference between a pedal setup and an amp setup?
2.  Can YOU, as an AUDIENCE MEMBER, hear the difference between a pedal setup and an amp setup?
3.  If you can hear the difference, is it worth the extra moolah to get more amps than pedals?
4.  If you can hear the difference, is it worth the extra effort to bring your multi-amp setup to gigs?
5.  In the case of recording, would you prefer pedals + any clean sounding amp or a multichannel amp?

answers:

1)if it sounds good...then i don't care
2)if it sounds good...then i don't care
3)if it sounds good...then i don't care
4)if it sounds good...then i don't care
mismo! check out frank gambale's tone...he's pure solid state. tama ka markflo,if it sounds good...then i don't care na rin. :P

Offline glassjaw_jc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2006, 12:19:40 PM »
uhh... i think you just gave a more solid example to my claim :lol:

but, yeah! that's correct! :D
Surf's Up!

Offline kawayan_strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2006, 12:21:28 PM »
Quote from: markflo
Quote from: glassjaw_jc

eto nalang...

when you say amp distortion...it's that thing wherein you crank the amp up and the tubes get really saturated and produce distortion...that's amp distortion...

pero yung mga may channel switching na TUBE amp...diba parang amp lang siya na may TUBE overdrive pedal na built in?

o let's say...peavey solid state...tapos dalawang channel...eh diba parang may transistor distortion pedal lang siya na built in?

so it's the same thing...pedal distortion, (your definition of)) amp distortion

coz i have a feeling the amp distortion you're referring to is that damn blasted boutique amp again...

same banana....

there are tube distortion pedals,y'know...

y'know...there's another name for those drive pedals y'know...PREAMP...

now...a cranked marshall plexi however...is a different thing...PERO...kaya parin emulate ng mahusay ng mga pedals yan eh...

sooooooo....

YOU DECIDE WHICH SETUP YOU WANT...IT DOESN'T MATTER....

now...given the current situation there in the philippines wherein some musicians don't even have cars...or they have to commute, or for whatever reason...you think they can haul in 2 amps just to get 2 different tones? it's ridiculous...

kahit nga ako dito miski may auto, pa minsan multi fx atsaka tube amp lang gamit ko eh...y'know why? well for one...i'm not playing my kind of music...(instrumental) ...so i just bring what's needed for the band i'm playing in...nothing more, nothing less...
+1000000 :D

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2006, 03:45:09 PM »
i like simple amps and love pedals and hell yeah pedals do it for me....
come here monkey..you badmonkey you..lol :lol:
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2006, 03:53:20 PM »
Quote from: BALDO
sa nasubukan ko na nairecord ..mas maganda yung sa amp ka mag rely at hindi sa effects..saka don't try to record distortion o overdrive sa isang malaking wattage na amp..if you want BIG sound..use a 15 watt amp sa recording.. mabubuwiset lang ang sound engineer sa iyo kung ipipilit mong irecord ang  marshall 4x12 mo hahahaha sa isang studio hehehe.. i also tried mag record sa zoom 9150 na efx.. decent naman ang kinalabasan. actually i compared it to a micked amp, konti lang ang difference.... galing ke mike h itong efx unit na ito eh..  8)

Unless the live room is big enough to accommodate your half-stack, you'll really get into trouble miking huge amps.  Tried -20dB pads but still, the best sounds I got were with amps no more than 65W (Twin Reverb). But maybe scalable master volume amps are a different issue.

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2006, 06:48:06 PM »
Quote from: sushiboy
aco naman:

RJ strato copy -> J&H Overdrive -> MXR Micro Amp -> clean on any type of amp

pag clean: *Jekyll slightly toned down
pag OD: *Jekyll upped + Micro Amp
pag "soiled" DIST (near Tubescreamer sound): Jekyll & Hyde
pag heavy DIST: Hyde
pag solos/leads na hindi nagdodoble yung tunog (pag kumalabit ng strings): J&H + Micro Amp

the amp remains untouched (shempre before playing iko-config co na)

*mejo blues ang feel. i don't like clean na parang "Stonefree" clean

Hmmm..do I hear the Strokes :P  Very nice setup
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Chito

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2006, 09:55:27 PM »
After trying my hardest not to get into this discussion. I thought why not, after all it's just a discussion :). First I responded to the poll by choosing "I don't know and I don't care". I'll say why.

For me, distortion is distortion. Whether it comes from a pedal, from an overdriven amp. whether it's tube or solid state, it's distortion. Can I tell the difference? Honestly no. But I can tell you if what I'm hearing is Vai, Santana, EVH, Clapton, SRV, Hendrix, or pretty much any of the more popular guitar players that I've heard over the years. Do I care whether they were using pedals or not for the signature tone I hear from listening to them? No. Bottom line is, they sound good. And that's all that matters. Like what Markflo said, if it sounds good who really cares.

Offline oasgomez-is-banned

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2006, 10:02:21 PM »
No, pedals cannot mimic amp distortion.  Some can enhance it but most make it sound bad.  And I care because there IS a difference.

Offline markflo

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2006, 11:30:35 PM »
alright! the worm can opener is here!

what's up OAS? tell arie i said hi and good job on the luthiery...

so yea...where were we? oh yea...amp distortion vs pedal distortion...

well...everybody stated their points...

i guess there is a difference...but one is not better than the other (op op op...wala nang aangal...hehehe)...hell, even two tube hi gain amps will have differences...it's the voicing...

but fidelity-wise, i still go with my previous answer.

whaddayasay we all agree to disagree?
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2006, 11:48:21 PM »
this is plagued with vague terms and conditions.

at least just about everyone assumed that tube amp distortion was being talked about. pano kung solid state? i believe pedals can effectively mimic lots of solid state clipping. hell, most dirtboxes ARE solid state clipping devices.

anyway, ayun.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline sonnyrayvaughn

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2006, 11:53:11 PM »
uy..mukhang for the first time in my layf mananalo yung sinagot ko sa survey!

So Skunk, whats the prize? What do we get out of this survey?

Offline markflo

« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2006, 11:58:10 PM »
what did he win bob?!?!?!

.....another worthless thread...

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2006, 04:15:48 AM »
another thread that we all know the answers to.......haaaaaay.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline oasgomez-is-banned

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2006, 06:32:02 AM »
Markflo,

Saan ka ba sa USA based?

Offline markflo

« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2006, 06:53:26 AM »
Quote from: oasgomez
Markflo,

Saan ka ba sa USA based?

wes' side mah nigga!

ay...oops...lumabas...sorry...

sa so cal ser...

actually, lapit lang yung work ko sa tone merchants eh...pero ayoko dumaan...baka mapagastos...hehe (as if may pambili eh no?)

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2006, 07:04:12 AM »
Quote from: oasgomez
Markflo,

Saan ka ba sa USA based?

its about to get personal..