hulika

Author Topic: Guitarists' view on Emo music  (Read 70720 times)

Offline dukz

Re: Guitarists' view on Emo music
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2007, 01:16:27 PM »
It depends kung ano hinahanap ng listener sa music, like me... para skin, dig ko kahit anong music basta may "lasa" yung mga guitar riffs nila at may matutunan ako... but i dont say na ayoko sa emo, magagaling mga drummers nila...

Offline SDMF

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2007, 01:25:17 PM »
Baka may iba pang links dyan, like those pioneer bands of that Emo genre???

In my case as far as the early 90's sound, I only recognize Soundgarden (Even Vai & Tony Iommi likes this band), Alice in Chains, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Mother Love Bone, Blind Melon, STP, Jane's Addiction, Smashing Pumpkins, & Mudhoney...
The rest e copycats na para sa akin.
Guitars:Guild S-100, G&L Climax
Amp:Mesa Boogie RA-100, Rivera KTre Reverb 120W head, , Rivera K412t cab, Marshall JCM1C 50th Anniversary

Offline dukz

« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2007, 01:28:39 PM »
EMO = NEW GAY :-D

EMO = Rocker na Gay?!

Cool na sana yung dating, pero if they are saying na kissing another guy is cool... very gay!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 01:38:17 PM by dukz »

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2007, 02:13:12 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo_%28music%29

sa lahat ng emo bands na yan, iilan lang nagustuhan ko like fugazi, at the drive-in at dashboard. heck i thought dashboard wasnt emo.

It's weird that most emo bands cite Fugazi as their main musical influence when a lot of emo bands don't have a hint of Fugazi in the stuff that they make.
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline paengkee

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2007, 09:03:15 PM »
guys. you should seriously go to this site.

http://youdontknowemo.tk

i know the url is a bit... offensive to some but its actually a really informative site.

Offline paengkee

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2007, 09:13:24 PM »
these bands are not emo:

*AFI
    * ...And you Will Know us by the Trail of the Dead
    * Alexisonfire
    * Alkaline Trio
    * As I Lay Dying
    * At the Drive-In
    * Atreyu
    * Bleed the Dream
    * Blink 182
    * Blood Brothers
    * Brand New
    * Bright Eyes
    * Coheed & Cambria
    * Cursive
    * Dashboard Confessional
    * Death Cab for Cutie
    * Emery
    * Fall Out Boy
    * Finch
    * From Autumn to Ashes
    * From First to Last
    * Funeral for a Friend
    * Good Charlotte
    * Green Day
    * Hawthorne Heights
    * Hellogoodbye
    * Jimmy Eat World
    * Juliana Theory
    * Kill Hannah
    * Linkin Park
    * Mae
    * Matchbook Romance
    * mewithoutyou
    * My Chemical Romance
    * New Found Glory
    * Norma Jean
    * Panic! At The Disco
    * Promise Ring
    * Reliant K
    * Saves the Day
    * Senses Fail
    * Silverstein
    * Simple Plan
    * Something Corporate
    * Sparta
    * Spitafield
    * Straylight Run
    * Story of the Year
    * Sunny Day Real Estate
    * Taking Back Sunday
    * The Cure
    * The Format
    * The Get-Up Kids
    * The Mars Volta
    * The Postal Service
    * The Starting Line
    * The Used
    * Thrice
    * Thursday
    * Weezer
    * Yellowcard
    * Almost ANY band who has ever been on any Warped Tour

Offline reps

« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2007, 09:47:59 PM »
Astig para sakin Finch, Co&Ca saka Thrice. Okay din Paramore. Cute pa vocalist nila.  :-D
feedback is your friend

Offline MikEh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2007, 10:22:45 PM »
Astig para sakin Finch, Co&Ca saka Thrice. Okay din Paramore. Cute pa vocalist nila.  :-D
+100 sa finch!

Offline blue_raven

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2007, 10:25:56 PM »
oh yeah, when i was listening to dream theater at the office, some noob came by and said "uy! astig! nakikinig ka pala ng emo e! sali ka na sa banda namin!"

darn james la brie and his voice...

Offline marzi

• Ang Na Ang Na!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2007, 10:38:18 PM »
oh yeah, when i was listening to dream theater at the office, some noob came by and said "uy! astig! nakikinig ka pala ng emo e! sali ka na sa banda namin!"

hahahaaa...edi vox ng symphony x emo na rin?

cguro traumatized lang ako sa nakita ko kasi i used to hand out with a bunch of emo listeners back then....one time, nag iinuman kami and they brought some guys from laguna (shempre mga emo din)... nung nagkalasingan na, i asked them "ano ba tlaga yung genre na emo na yan?". the two guys from laguna suddenly smiled and started french-kissing!!! after that they told me "ganun kaming mga emo pre...you'll often mistake us as fags but were just overflowing with emotions..."

after nun, tinigil ko ng magpunta dun....
I turned myself into a monster to fight against the monsters of the world.

Earth Crisis - Nemesis

Offline jaythegame

• Veteran Member
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2007, 10:41:07 PM »
these bands are not emo:

*AFI
    * ...And you Will Know us by the Trail of the Dead
    * Alexisonfire
    * Alkaline Trio
    * As I Lay Dying
    * At the Drive-In
    * Atreyu
    * Bleed the Dream
    * Blink 182
    * Blood Brothers
    * Brand New
    * Bright Eyes
    * Coheed & Cambria
    * Cursive
    * Dashboard Confessional
    * Death Cab for Cutie
    * Emery
    * Fall Out Boy
    * Finch
    * From Autumn to Ashes
    * From First to Last
    * Funeral for a Friend
    * Good Charlotte
    * Green Day
    * Hawthorne Heights
    * Hellogoodbye
    * Jimmy Eat World
    * Juliana Theory
    * Kill Hannah
    * Linkin Park
    * Mae
    * Matchbook Romance
    * mewithoutyou
    * My Chemical Romance
    * New Found Glory
    * Norma Jean
    * Panic! At The Disco
    * Promise Ring
    * Reliant K
    * Saves the Day
    * Senses Fail
    * Silverstein
    * Simple Plan
    * Something Corporate
    * Sparta
    * Spitafield
    * Straylight Run
    * Story of the Year
    * Sunny Day Real Estate
    * Taking Back Sunday
    * The Cure
    * The Format
    * The Get-Up Kids
    * The Mars Volta
    * The Postal Service
    * The Starting Line
    * The Used
    * Thrice
    * Thursday
    * Weezer
    * Yellowcard
    * Almost ANY band who has ever been on any Warped Tour

actually, warped tour is now being overrun by emo bands.. most of the bands listed there are emo.. alkaline trio started as punk rock with a twist of emo.. now they are horror punk (or just punk rock coz it doesnt make sense if u brand punk as another).. emo is punk, the difference is the way they write the lyrics.. now emo bands say theyre not punk at all, those are what we call posers.. bright eyes, sunny day real estate, dashboard, fugazi (which u can say is hardcore punk but are one of the first emo bands), cursive (mga sina-una narin yan), etc.. are good emo bands.. lets say melodic punk+emotional vocals+slower tempo=emo.. yan.. i was a big emo fan dati pero naasar ako kasi pare-parehas na sila.. ung gusto ko lang ung naiiba like alkaline trio and thrice.. ayus din juliana theory at something corporate kung mas mellow ang music na gusto mo.. :-P hehe..
geeesh

Offline akosimic

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2007, 10:52:07 PM »

sa lahat ng emo bands na yan, iilan lang nagustuhan ko like fugazi, at the drive-in at dashboard. heck i thought dashboard wasnt emo.

It's weird that most emo bands cite Fugazi as their main musical influence when a lot of emo bands don't have a hint of Fugazi in the stuff that they make.

+1 to that sir marco.

in addition to that, based on research and knowledge, at the drive-in is emo. in fact, they're actually considered to be one of the pioneers along with fugazi.

Offline kelvinator

« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2007, 10:54:46 PM »
+1 sa juliana theory.. hehe..

ewan ko.. para sakin, pareho na lahat eh.. panic! at the disco sounds the same with fall out boy.. but there are others which stand out.. yun nga.. what i don't like about emo [maybe they're not emo after all] is that after a while, they sound poppish.. that's just me.. maybe they're just punk with emotional lyrics.. i don't know.. dami kasi genre eh.. may nangyayaring overlapping of sorts.. tsaka nung sumikat na emo, everyone started riding the bandwagon.. nakikiemo na rin kasi sumisikat eh.. but hey.. that's just me.. everyone's entitled to his own view of reality..  peace.. :mrgreen:
bummer..

Offline fraudulentzodiac

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2007, 10:56:20 PM »

+1 to that sir marco.

in addition to that, based on research and knowledge, at the drive-in is emo. in fact, they're actually considered to be one of the pioneers along with fugazi.
buti na lang pala naging Mars Volta yung iba sa at the drive in.
 :mrgreen: = sakto hehe

Offline CARABAO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2007, 10:59:50 PM »
the whining sucks. i really hate the 3rd grader voice that comes out of the mouths of tall and skinny white kids with OA bangs na halata namang inayos para ganun yung look lang. hindi practical habang naglalakad. ewan. heheh. pero yng guitars,... hmmm.. parepareho kasi.. puro main riff na strumming + palm mutes, tapos may octaves bigla na magbblend sa background.. o well. pero hindi naman talaga problema.. nakakairita lang.

Offline jaythegame

• Veteran Member
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2007, 11:25:19 PM »

cguro traumatized lang ako sa nakita ko kasi i used to hand out with a bunch of emo listeners back then....one time, nag iinuman kami and they brought some guys from laguna (shempre mga emo din)... nung nagkalasingan na, i asked them "ano ba tlaga yung genre na emo na yan?". the two guys from laguna suddenly smiled and started french-kissing!!! after that they told me "ganun kaming mga emo pre...you'll often mistake us as fags but were just overflowing with emotions..."

hahahaha! nakakatawa ung kwento ah.. :-P i know this certain guy from school na nagsasabi na 'emo' daw siya.. ang kwento nya na binabatuk-batukan lang daw nya ung typecast sa gigs nila.. sabi nya vocalist daw siya.. tapos one time, my friends and i saw him singing "til they take my heart away" na emo version, ung whinny ung vocals.. tapos nakatingin lang kame sa kanya dun.. nahiya cya tapos umalis na.. hnd na nagpakita ever haha!!! :lol: no offense, i was a big emo fan dati.. still continue to listen to em pero hnd na katulad ng dati.. haha! :mrgreen:
geeesh

Offline SDMF

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2007, 11:30:31 PM »

[apple] na yan. :-D
Buti na lang ung Grunge nung araw hindi nabahiran ng ganyan. :-D
Guitars:Guild S-100, G&L Climax
Amp:Mesa Boogie RA-100, Rivera KTre Reverb 120W head, , Rivera K412t cab, Marshall JCM1C 50th Anniversary

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2007, 11:41:23 PM »
ewheheh oo nga eh ehehe si kurt cobain at layne staley talagang totoo, ehehe ayun patay na pareho ehehe yang mga emo hanggang reklamo lang na gusto na nila mamatay ehehe di naman mamatay matay ehehe  :-D

Offline snidd

• Veteran Member
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2007, 12:10:12 AM »
1. i hate them whiny vocals of the "new emo"
2. true emo is dead.
3. "new emo" is over commercialized
4. new bands w/c are not emo are considered emo because it is the "trend"
5. too many posers/kupaws/inutil/orcs
6. how dare they say that Coheed & Cambria are "emo"?
7. they are weak.
8. all they do is complain at how miserable their lives are.
    tip: deal with it or if you plan on committing suicide by slitting your wrists, it's down the road.. not across the street.

Offline lowtuneduser

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2007, 12:12:29 AM »
1. i hate them whiny vocals of the "new emo"
2. true emo is dead.
3. "new emo" is over commercialized
4. new bands w/c are not emo are considered emo because it is the "trend"
5. too many posers/kupaws/inutil/orcs
6. how dare they say that Coheed & Cambria are "emo"?
7. they are weak.
8. all they do is complain at how miserable their lives are.
    tip: deal with it or if you plan on committing suicide by slitting your wrists, it's down the road.. not across the street.

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
patay na talaga ang totoong emo! ibang emo na mga ngakalat ngaun!
ESP LTD Viper 301 • Dimebag Crybaby •  Boss NS-2 • Boss ML-2 • Boss GE-7 • Boss BF-3 • Boss PH-2 • Boss TR-2 • Boss DD-3 • Korg DT-3 Tuner • Kalikot Audio PSU • GHS ZW String (.11-.70) • Custom Pedalb

Offline akosimic

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2007, 12:14:03 AM »
yang mga emo hanggang reklamo lang na gusto na nila mamatay ehehe di naman mamatay matay ehehe  :-D

sabi nga sa isang usapan kaninang hapon 

emo will die down...because they keep on slashing their wrists and they will bleed to death hehehe

Offline danleo

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2007, 12:16:56 AM »
Many Rock Bands since before are emo na haven't we notice it? For me Emo means songs that was written with emotion and played and sang with emotion. Emo is emotion diba? Ginawa lang nilang Punk with Emotion and it is what we call emo today. heehhehee. Mga fav ko na I consider emo kasi grabe tlga kumunta yung mga vox nila with emotion tlga-> Matchbox Twenty (Emotional tlga mag sing si Rob Thomas), Staind (Aaron Lewis sings with great emotion lalo na yung song nila Epiphany astig tlga, try to check out the rest of the song sa break the cycle album), Creed (One of the best sa emotion try to listen my own prison album saka human clay) and to many more to mention. Pati nga si Jimmy Bundoc emo rin diba? with emotion tlga siya kumakanta diba? kaya emo na rin yun. hehehehehe Peace out mga brother...:)
You may say I\'m a dreamer. But I\'m not the only one. I know someday you\'ll join us and the world will live as one...

Offline lowtuneduser

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2007, 12:18:04 AM »
yang mga emo hanggang reklamo lang na gusto na nila mamatay ehehe di naman mamatay matay ehehe  :-D

sabi nga sa isang usapan kaninang hapon 

emo will die down...because they keep on slashing their wrists and they will bleed to death hehehe
:lol:
ESP LTD Viper 301 • Dimebag Crybaby •  Boss NS-2 • Boss ML-2 • Boss GE-7 • Boss BF-3 • Boss PH-2 • Boss TR-2 • Boss DD-3 • Korg DT-3 Tuner • Kalikot Audio PSU • GHS ZW String (.11-.70) • Custom Pedalb

Offline turiguiliano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2007, 12:19:21 AM »
finch rocks. ganda ng tone. tapang. nice arrangement too. especially one of those version of "what it is to burn" - in you face intro. not sure of the lyrics though imo.
US Toll Free: 650.488.7901
Globe:0927.858.1635
Smart:0949.190.0200 Sun:0932.748.6705 Bogner Amplification - CMATMODS - F-BASS - Jet City Amplification - Lava Cables - Paul Cochrane Audio - Pedal Train - Weber Speakers - Wilson Effects - XOTIC Effects

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2007, 12:20:00 AM »
in that case, hindi music genre ang emo ehehehe