hulika

Author Topic: Guitar Help Switching from one guitar type  (Read 2513 times)

Offline SexyLicks

• Formerly known as "Paokour"
Guitar Help Switching from one guitar type
« on: August 05, 2015, 12:19:12 PM »
Hello Guitar Central !

Hi I'm a Strat User ever since , I'm about to buy a cheap tele type guitar and upgrade from there. I have a custom made strat now but would want to give tele a try since I was able to try one from a friend I've always wanted one so yeah (Without burning my wallet.)

Here are my candidates:
Tokai Tele (saw this one sa lyric like about 9k.)
Squier Tele (Yamaha one ung nasa set with amp.)
SX Tele (JB music saw one for 5k.)

Any reviews from people here?

Thanks Just wanted to know what to expect with switching to a tele :D

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Guitar Help Switching from one guitar type
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 02:33:55 PM »
Tokai is a good japanese brand pero china ang 9k so I'm not sure of the quality.  Personally mas gusto ko ang correct headstock so I would pick a Squier. Mas madali din ibenta yan if you change your mind. Just make sure you get the Squier model na standard dimensions para madali mag upgrade. I think yung bullet non-standard ang dimensions.

Never tried those brands so I can't comment on it. I suggest you audition pa rin.

I am tele user not strat, pero switching to a tele means three combinations na lang ang pickup. Sa tunog mas versatile ang strat. Listen to tele videos na lang to get an idea.

Offline SexyLicks

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 02:39:57 PM »
Tokai is a good japanese brand pero china ang 9k so I'm not sure of the quality.  Personally mas gusto ko ang correct headstock so I would pick a Squier. Mas madali din ibenta yan if you change your mind. Just make sure you get the Squier model na standard dimensions para madali mag upgrade. I think yung bullet non-standard ang dimensions.

Never tried those brands so I can't comment on it. I suggest you audition pa rin.

I am tele user not strat, pero switching to a tele means three combinations na lang ang pickup. Sa tunog mas versatile ang strat. Listen to tele videos na lang to get an idea.

Thanks Sir Roy.. I did listen to some tele comparisons but yeah most likely I will be getting the Squier or Tokai One :D

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 02:56:33 PM »
I think what I like about the tele is the tone when cranked. Very raw :-)

Offline david_leyson

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 03:15:23 PM »
Hello Guitar Central !

Hi I'm a Strat User ever since , I'm about to buy a cheap tele type guitar and upgrade from there. I have a custom made strat now but would want to give tele a try since I was able to try one from a friend I've always wanted one so yeah (Without burning my wallet.)

Here are my candidates:
Tokai Tele (saw this one sa lyric like about 9k.)
Squier Tele (Yamaha one ung nasa set with amp.)
SX Tele (JB music saw one for 5k.)

Any reviews from people here?

Thanks Just wanted to know what to expect with switching to a tele :D

The Tokai and SX Teles are great IMO, experience wise, just change the wiring (or the actual wire on the electronics) so that it will give it's full potential, Squier Tele package is good as is with a little adjsutment to the setup that you prefer, parts are also available locally.

if i were to choose, i'd go for the Tokai, test the 3 guitars and chooes whatever pleases you
Faith Hope and Love, but the Greatest of these is Love.

Offline horge

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 03:44:46 PM »
If you're going to be upgrading the guitar anyway, the SX seems the most economical base.
A Squier is sort of in no-man's land for me: not cheap enough to really monkey with, and not
really a Fender Tele either.

Kulam time:
Further down the road, bibili ka din ng Fender Tele ---some FSR MIM's are worth a look at.

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 04:19:00 PM »
I'd pick the SX dahil di pa ako nakakahawak ng Tokai MIC na Tele, but definitely not the Squier for me unless you're eyeing to sell it easily if you decide you don't like it or something. SX has a great build quality and pretty good stock pups too (for the price); the Squier just isn't there in the build quality-price ratio. Audition the Tokai though but for me its definitely a Tokai vs SX thing
https://soundcloud.com/sonicassault
Turn up the sympathsizer and give me more waffle.
olive oil garlic tomatoes salt pepper basil oregano thyme chili

Offline lundai

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 12:42:31 AM »
go for a squier telecustom.

i once owned a strat, a les paul, a mustang but the telecustom makes me stick in to it.

unless i will be able to raise enough money to buy a fender standard strat MIM (sunburst). :) cannot afford the MIA khit anong pilit.. :)

Offline fizz450_03

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 08:38:22 PM »
i'd say go with an SX. a squier tele isn't as well made as an SX (well at least the ones i'd seen) tokai is nice, but at 9k and for a china guitar (no offense meant here) better get an SX.

try them out first though. also, peavey makes great teles (exp generation) and i own one. it's one of my favorite guitars. but take note that the peavey tele does not have the exact same body dimensions - it's a wee bit smaller, making the guitar look thicker and has the same weight, if not more to a regular sized tele. the neck is still pretty much the same, vintage style with vintage frets, small radius.

kung kaya ng budget, go for chapman teles!  :lol:
Bedroom Rock Guitar

check out my blog @ http://lifeinadreamlessworld.wordpress.com

Offline SexyLicks

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 07:15:52 AM »
More updates post vids of me testing guitars :D I just hope the guitar shops selling them will allow me to test them lels.

Yeah I feel SX or Tokai more.

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2015, 08:18:23 AM »
i'd say go with an SX. a squier tele isn't as well made as an SX (well at least the ones i'd seen) tokai is nice, but at 9k and for a china guitar (no offense meant here) better get an SX.

try them out first though. also, peavey makes great teles (exp generation) and i own one. it's one of my favorite guitars. but take note that the peavey tele does not have the exact same body dimensions - it's a wee bit smaller, making the guitar look thicker and has the same weight, if not more to a regular sized tele. the neck is still pretty much the same, vintage style with vintage frets, small radius.

kung kaya ng budget, go for chapman teles!  :lol:

kung yung budget nya x4  :lol: but yes I've heard the chapman teles sa guitarpusher shop, swabeeeeee

Offline SexyLicks

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2015, 08:38:10 PM »
kung yung budget nya x4  :lol: but yes I've heard the chapman teles sa guitarpusher shop, swabeeeeee

I've heard them din pretty good deal.

HAHA I would have to diet and not spend on anything to get one xD HAHA

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 11:43:57 AM »
I say go for that final goal..and get a true honest to goodness all american fender tele (blonde) hehe..I thin, saturn return is selling a nice one..hehe good luck..

go for broke..one time big time lang! :wave:
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline zraw79

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2015, 04:52:03 PM »
i'd suggest you try the Tokai Strat or Tele's.. THere are Tokai's at Lyric that is priced more than 10k..although they are MICs but the quality IMO is better than the SXs.. Tokai is a reputable brand..

I have 2 Tokai's now.. the strat is very good in its stock form.. i just changed the strings from 9 to 10 and had it set up, it sounds better than a Squier Standard Strat..

For my Tokai Telecaster, there's much to be desired on the pickups..but I changed mine to a better one and changed the strings and it can compete head to head with my MIJ Fender Tele..

If you have budget, watch out for the Squier VIntage Modified and the Classic Vibe series..

Sometimes the market is feeding us with information that this brand is better than this other brand, but at the end of the day, it's all about the guitar's feel in your hands... of course, just make sure you go to a luthier and have your guitar set-up.. =)

Good Day! =)

Offline SexyLicks

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2015, 05:24:55 PM »
i'd suggest you try the Tokai Strat or Tele's.. THere are Tokai's at Lyric that is priced more than 10k..although they are MICs but the quality IMO is better than the SXs.. Tokai is a reputable brand..

I have 2 Tokai's now.. the strat is very good in its stock form.. i just changed the strings from 9 to 10 and had it set up, it sounds better than a Squier Standard Strat..

For my Tokai Telecaster, there's much to be desired on the pickups..but I changed mine to a better one and changed the strings and it can compete head to head with my MIJ Fender Tele..

If you have budget, watch out for the Squier VIntage Modified and the Classic Vibe series..

Sometimes the market is feeding us with information that this brand is better than this other brand, but at the end of the day, it's all about the guitar's feel in your hands... of course, just make sure you go to a luthier and have your guitar set-up.. =)

Good Day! =)

Yes that's so true. My first guitar was RJ. Hah felt so good

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2015, 05:27:51 PM »
Yes that's so true. My first guitar was RJ. Hah felt so good

yung sakin din kahit ang pangit ng fretjob at sobrang bigat nung RJ LP copy ko, yun pa rin yun swakto yung feel parang di ko magawang ibenta  :eek: Pero Tokai tele pa rin  :lol: