hulika

Author Topic: Home recording  (Read 27764 times)

Offline voidmain

• Philmusicus Addictus
Home recording
« on: September 25, 2004, 03:03:59 PM »
Hey guys, need help sa setup ng maliit na home studio.
Ano bang mga kailangan at magkano ba ang kailangan ko munang ipunin? Total newbie po ako dito
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
Galatians 2:20

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
Home recording
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2004, 08:42:00 AM »
Kung computer-based with Windows or Mac OS and your computer has a USB port, just get a USB mixer controller (includes software), a pair of powered studio monitor loudspeakers, and a couple of good mics.

For dedicated recording equipment, just get a multi-track analog (tape) recorder, a pair of powered studio monitor loudspeakers, and a couple of good mics.

Hope this helps.  :)
The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
Home recording
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2004, 08:47:26 AM »
Almost forgot, you'll need a listening room with good acoustics to setup up all those gear. This is very important. Also, buy a nice pair of studio headphones.
The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty

Offline dod

Home recording
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2004, 05:09:55 PM »

Offline voidmain

• Philmusicus Addictus
Home recording
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2004, 03:35:37 PM »
Thanks sa lahat ng nag-reply.

Meron bang local distributor nitong Lexicon Omega?

Tsaka meron pa bang ibang suggested hardware? Paki-sama na rin yung price niya. Thanks a lot
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
Galatians 2:20

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
Home recording
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2004, 05:08:06 PM »
I believe Audiophile distributes Lexicon in the Philippines....

Offline dod

Home recording
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2004, 10:29:51 PM »
Quote from: voidmain
Paki-sama na rin yung price niya. Thanks a lot

P22,990 list price.

Offline andytekken

• Netizen Level
Home recording
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2004, 08:06:29 AM »
tol i suggest mag digi 001 o digi 002 ka nalang.

Offline jazzi

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Home recording
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2004, 09:47:20 PM »
Hi Guyz! Im also A newbie here. Voidmain hows your studio, nakapag-set-up ka na ba? I suggest m-audio tol. I can help you sa mga products nila. And rode mics. Yung friend ko ang exclusive distributor ng m-audio and rode mics sa pilipinas. Gusto mo check out the web site m-audio.com. I guarantee those are professional products in a affordable price. reply ka lang if your interested.

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
Home recording
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2004, 01:56:08 AM »
TASCAM US-122 is probably the most affordable and simplest desktop recording studio system available in the Philippines. It is distributed by  Audiophile also. Check it out!

And for your microphone needs, you can't go wrong with SHURE.

Offline QED

• Netizen Level
Home recording
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2004, 06:28:41 PM »
gusto mo ng low budget home studio with computer?

get a soundcard that can accept stereo line-ins or mic inputs, and has MIDI PORTS (pwede na ang Creative Extigy/Audigy series, less than P 10,000)

get a mic (SHure, around P3,000) and some good cables .

get a MIDI controller. If you have a keyboard already, it will probably have MIDI ports on it, hence, it can be used with the soundcard you got (that's why i said get one with MIDI PORTS)... But if you dont alreayd have a piano-type keyboard, get a USB powered one. (M-Audio Oxygen 8 controller, around P 5- 8,000 2nd hand)

get monitors. Kung di ka naman pro, OK na ang mga Altec Lansing 2.1 systems. (mga P 2 - 3,000)

get software that can record sound, edit, mangle and master the final product. Andaming freeware dyan. you shouldn't have to use pirated ones.
there's a version of TRACKTION that is free till dec 31, 2004. Download it here:  http://www.mackie.com/tracktionpromo

and you're set.
all for about P 35,000, the price of a new computer.

as your skills becomes better, you can upgrade equipment later on.
QED RECORDS : free Pinoy electronica MP3s
http://qed.acid42.bluechronicles.net

Offline QED

• Netizen Level
Home recording
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2004, 06:31:57 PM »
oh, and if you buy SHURE mics, make sure they're not fakes.

check this thread out:
http://talk.philmusic.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=3936
QED RECORDS : free Pinoy electronica MP3s
http://qed.acid42.bluechronicles.net

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
Home recording
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2005, 10:22:50 AM »
if you're recording sound..

in my opinion it is always better to mic the output source rather than record directly into a PC or MAC.

in this case, say you want to record guitar tracks, put a mic in front of the amp, run the amp into even just a 4 track mixer.. and into your soundcard..

if you have a MAC, it's easier, just run the mixer into your mic input and you should be able to record into Garageband and get a decent "semi-professional" recording..

and yeah i agree.. you can't go wrong if you use shure mics.. but the cable that you use beween the mic and the mixer will also play a role. so buy a good mic but don't buy a cheap cable.

good luck!

Offline misterkangkong

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Home recording
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2005, 08:20:19 AM »
another great way to record your own stuff if through the application called

garageband by apple

http://www.apple.com/ilife/garageband/

sure you will need a mac for these wonderful app. macs are pretty cheap now.

http://www.apple.com/macmini/

once you have all this setup, you are good to go. all you need is talent    :wink:

Offline vaiology

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Home recording
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2005, 12:15:18 PM »
if you're really really on a tight budget home studio here is a list of what you must have:

sound card: m-audio audiophile 2496
mixer: Behringer UB802 2 bus mixer  or the UB1204 4 bus mixer
microphone: Shure SM57 dynamic microphone
midi controller: any keyboard with midi in and out will do
optional guitarport or something that you can record your guitar direcly into the pc.
sa software naman ikaw na bahala dumiskarte :D hehehe!
i personally use cakewalk sonar 3.0 great for recording audio and midi.

add a desktop pc with gigahertz processor and load it with at least 512 mb RAM

here are the distributors of:

behringer by joint venture
shure microphones by audiophile
m-audio by crystal audio & comm. tech inc.

hope this helps

cheers :D
I LOVE MUSIC !!!

Offline dod

Home recording
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2005, 09:13:21 AM »
Interfacing Mics with Computers

Many users of computer sound cards purchase a professional microphone to improve upon the performance of the microphone included with the sound card. But because interconnection procedures in the computer world differ from those used in professional audio, it is not always easy to make a professional microphone work with a computer.

As is the case in most other aspects of computing, there are significant differences between the sound cards used with Apple and IBM-compatible computers. Additional information for users of Apple Macintosh computers is contained at the end of this document -- Interfacing Professional Microphones to Computer Sound Cards.

Offline RTJ

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Home recording
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2005, 06:41:52 PM »
To VOIDMAIN!

They all right! My suggestions:

*get you a mac or pc

*digidesign MBox (This should be enough for the beginning) It has a focusrite pre-amp für mic,line) via USB > http://www.digidesign.com

*take a condensator mic 4 recordings (vocals) > Neumann/AKG/Brauner "Shure is ok but mostly used live on stage)

*speakers > Genelec,KRK,Yamaha NS-10,DynAudio etc.

* AND THE TALENT OF COURSE!
 8)
Check out my website > http://www.rtj.us <

Offline bunyok23

Home recording
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2005, 10:07:58 AM »
get an  sblive  card...the  cheapest

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
Home recording
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2005, 11:17:30 AM »
Quote from: bunyok23
get an  sblive  card...the  cheapest

yup and if you use a Mac garageband is free.. easiset home recording software i've ever used..

of course cakewalk home edition is easy too..

another suggestion would be:
M-audio reasonably priced too!

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
Home recording
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2005, 01:58:45 PM »
Unfortunately the MAC is not free :)

But the Mac Mini will be sold soon in the Philippines (around P37K if bought locally, pero $500 lang sa USA) and that comes with iLife 2005 (which incorporates GarageBand).

That will be a more affordable Mac price for PC users, including home recording fanatics.

Offline dantuts

• Philmusicus Addictus
Home recording
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2005, 09:26:11 AM »
sir ano po yung "FULL DUPLEX CAPABILITY" ng sound card..

does that mean you can simulteanously record tracks... ( 2 at the same time)

so kahit isa lang input ng line in.. if you got a mixer, you got 2 independent channels???

naiintindihan nyo ba??  :lol:
I was alive in the forest
I was cut by the cruel axe
In life I was silent In death I sweetly sing

Offline dantuts

• Philmusicus Addictus
Home recording
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2005, 11:31:55 AM »
and how do you remove the hiss... ?? as in habang your recording walang hiss... i dont want to use noise reducer e..

kung baka plug in..tapos la ng noise unless its your instrument..

sound card problem ba yun??
I was alive in the forest
I was cut by the cruel axe
In life I was silent In death I sweetly sing

Offline glassjaw_jc

• Philmusicus Addictus
Home recording
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2005, 02:03:52 PM »
Quote from: dantuts
sir ano po yung "FULL DUPLEX CAPABILITY" ng sound card..

does that mean you can simulteanously record tracks... ( 2 at the same time)

so kahit isa lang input ng line in.. if you got a mixer, you got 2 independent channels???

naiintindihan nyo ba??  :lol:

it means you can record and monitor at the same time..
Surf's Up!

Offline jobats

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Home recording
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2005, 03:06:37 PM »
Quote from: QED

as your skills becomes better, you can upgrade equipment later on.

Tama ka tol!

Maniwala ka kay QED! Ang importante ay makagawa ng sarili mong music.
I

Offline fredzs

Home recording
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2005, 08:52:12 PM »
ano kya mas maganda, bilin ko ung Lexicon Omega?? since its around 25k .. all in one na sya dba ?? mics nalang kulang.. kc im gonna be multitracking.. drums, bass and guitars... since 2 lang ung XLR input ng Omega... yan ung problema ko, I dont think ok ang 2 Overhead mics.. or 2 mics lang properly placed.. here comes my 2nd option..

get an audiophile 2496.. get a 1204-PRO(behringer) mixer probably.. then ung main outs nun lagay ko sa 2 XLR input ng Audiohpile. so bali lumalabas 2 tracks lang ung Drums ko.. pero madaming mics.. i can live with that since i can adjust the volume naman of each mic sa mixer. ano kya mas ok ? :?: